Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Hello Pt 7

Say hello, learn how to register, read the rules, get staff announcements.

Re: Another Newbie

Unread postby davep » Mon 16 Jan 2012, 07:44:25

Welcome Corella. What do you mean by "radicals"?
What we think, we become.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby Corella » Mon 16 Jan 2012, 08:02:34

Thanks!
Islamophobians, reducing any problem back to just that one and only issue.
Corella
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Heineken » Mon 16 Jan 2012, 19:14:36

Are you German, Corella? Your English "sounds" British or Aussie.

Willkommen.
"Actually, humans died out long ago."
---Abused, abandoned hunting dog

"Things have entered a stage where the only change that is possible is for things to get worse."
---I & my bro.
Heineken
Expert
Expert

Unread postby AgentR11 » Mon 16 Jan 2012, 22:25:48

Welcome..
Species protection, biology, peak oil, and doomer thoughts. Nice.

That's really a tough nut to crack, and not even really appropriate for individual action if you think about it. To protect localized species in a world enduring significant climate change, and its apex predator laboring under resource constraints, there's really no getting around the notion of moving their ranges. But moving the range of a species artificially is, in general, thought no different than introducing an exotic species to an ecosystem, which will then place undo pressure on already stressed natives, hastening their own localized decline.

Protection in the nature of zoos, seed banks, and the like; are all dependent upon modern man, remaining modern and "enlightened". Fine for now, but our species behaves poorly when we get hungry....

So, you have my admiration, that's certainly a hard set of callings you've taken up; but you're ahead of those who want to survive, in order to survive, so don't ease up!
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Corella » Tue 17 Jan 2012, 05:22:16

Thanks a lot Heineken & Agent!
Yes i´m german with dear relatives in Australia, where i picked up some words on occasions :-)

@Agent: forgot to mention, i´m climate-hysteric as well, may i join the club? According your thoughts how to rescue species: personally (quite agreeing to you) i´m even more skeptical because climate change is not just like a drift along the degrees of latitude. I know it seems to be, considering all the wanderings fore and back during the ice ages. But there are quite some devils in the details. One has to do with >>the sum of all physical parameters making a habitat<< being roughly just a half of the whole. You described it well, saying "like introducing an exotic" (translated from german ecologists we call it "internal parameters" what i try to imply). Other devils have to do with temperature being only one of many important parameters. Sun light for example differs with the degree of latitude...

Am i ahead in survival? I´m approaching age of 50 enjoying the day. People who do have experiences with extreme situations told me, that there is no possibility to prepare mentally. Nobody knows how you will behave, panic or stay calm, until it really happens. And - personally - i´m deeply convinced not to know what will happen, at least during my life time. There are deep worries according the younger people (i have family with two kids), no doubt about.
All my preparations are: await severity and improvise in case it happens, whatever it is.

@all, coming back to the happenings within the former forum where i came over from: the old pioneer peak oiler eg Jeremy Leggett did warn that they allways felt accompanied by extreme antidemocrats, being interested in news about coming up crises like flies being attracted by sh@t. Do you think it to be an issue, what are your experiences?
Personally my thoughts go in the direction, that the depth of coming up crises will be a matter of supra-national organization skills. Subjects like taxes on financial transaction show it (and of course all the ecological issues).

Corella
Corella
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Heineken » Tue 17 Jan 2012, 10:17:33

I lived in Vienna for five years in the 1960s, Corella (I am 56). I still have moderate reading ability in German, and perfect pronunciation. Sometimes I dream in what appears to be fluent German. But my speaking ability is badly degraded. Und meine Grammatik und Rechtschreibung sind leider ganz schreklich. Hoffnungslos.

Vienna and Austria in the 1960s were the most wonderful places imaginable for a boy. Nothing has come close ever since.

I imagine Vienna is quite changed by now . . .

"Things have entered a stage where the only change that is possible is for things to get worse."
---I & my bro.
Heineken
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Corella » Tue 17 Jan 2012, 11:11:43

Dear Heineken,
imagine, we have just 3-year-old-fellows here, speaking fluently german, you find your ears bleeding if listening too carefully ;-)

Unfortunately i can´t tell much from Austria, i have only been in the Alpes several times. Austria is within the couple of countries discussing "Energiewende" intensively. I think green powered electricity to be above 50% in Austria due to hydropower...
Corella
Peat
Peat

Unread postby M_B_S » Tue 17 Jan 2012, 14:06:26

Oh, Austria is a very nice place for holiday.

I had my honeymoon in Vienna. And last year we climbed on the "Dachstein" from Vorberg.

But Corella

Just have a look at this hot peace of paper:

http://www.flipdocs.com/showbook.aspx?I ... 692_698290

Artic Methane Alert

It would be nice to read your comment here.

Its a nightmare or not ?

M_B_S
M_B_S
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Heineken » Tue 17 Jan 2012, 22:23:36

Corella wrote:Dear Heineken,
imagine, we have just 3-year-old-fellows here, speaking fluently german, you find your ears bleeding if listening too carefully ;-)

Unfortunately i can´t tell much from Austria, i have only been in the Alpes several times. Austria is within the couple of countries discussing "Energiewende" intensively. I think green powered electricity to be above 50% in Austria due to hydropower...

Babies are the true geniuses of the linguistics world. I began to be exposed to German from the age of 8, which is why it's stuck with me to the degree that it has, even in near-total neglect.

Yes, Austria is hydropower nirvana. However, global warming will slowly put an end to that as the high snows and glaciers disappear.

Where in Germany do you live? If you've been only one time to the Alps, maybe you're a northerner. Sprechen sie vielleicht Plattdeutsch? I think a northern German and a Viennese could hardly understand one another.

---I & my bro.
Heineken
Expert
Expert

Unread postby davep » Wed 18 Jan 2012, 04:45:38

hydropower nirvana. However, global warming will slowly put an end to that as the high snows and glaciers disappear.

I would agree. As well as glacier reduction, Switzerland recently had hydro-power reduced by 20% due to nearly two months of drought. It baint normal.
What we think, we become.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby Corella » Wed 18 Jan 2012, 09:01:33

@Heineken: i´m originally from quite north, in deed enough for getting in touch with Plattdeutsch. For studies i moved to quite the mid of Germany and got stuck there. My world is small, further details please -> PN.

@MBS: i would like to leave the part playing a climatologist. I think there are some good informed persons in this forum, aren´t there? (Hansen is not saying something wrong. However and as you know, methane is reacting to CO2 pretty quick, an apocalyptic scenario would therefore imply huge amounts of methane-hydrat within a short time. There is much hope not to be near a situation like that, the rest is under examination, as far as i picked up. We need to get away from fossil energy anyway.)

@davep: yes, the glaciers are in awful conditions. There influence on effluent and hydropower is discussed by very different opinions. The lobby is denying the problem at all, saying glacier-waters are an extreme tiny part of the effluent. Direct measurements seem to support the opinion, but: i think you and Heineken are right, because of an underestimated influence of glaciers upon providing ground water... However, Europe could use dam lakes for pump storage which become extreme important right now.
Corella
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Revi » Wed 18 Jan 2012, 09:33:22

Ich bin ein "climate hysteric" auch. Wilcommen!
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: Student Researcher on Japan and Peak oil

Unread postby thisisit » Wed 18 Jan 2012, 18:26:42

I can understand Japan dilema on the long run. In canada we have enough space to lodge them only they should start buying in soon before panic sets in and prices skyrocket for land. I guess we can accomodate 2 millions a year and that would be great for canadian economy making it boom with trumendous inflation of course but we can deal with that as long as they pay the right fee to get in...after all we have lots of oil and why ship it somewhere else if you can get the people to come to canada to use it.
thisisit
Wood
Wood

Re: Student Researcher on Japan and Peak oil

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Wed 18 Jan 2012, 19:25:28

Yeah Japan is about to be vacated, to Canada, past Alaska and Russia is going to help them do it with a big tunnel, then when Jesus comes he won't have that much water to walk over to visit everyone.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Thu 19 Jan 2012, 00:29:35

Heineken wrote:
Babies are the true geniuses of the linguistics world.
[/quote]

BTW on that Steve, my 28 month daughter is at 5 year old level in English, Tagalog and Ilocano. She has been in Australia 5 months.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Heineken » Thu 19 Jan 2012, 23:31:42

Looks like she inherited your brains all right, Chris. If you want her to learn a fourth now's the time! She'll thank you for it later.

I've already forgotten almost every single one of the maybe 200 Tagalog words I learned. As I lie here I can't recall any of it except "hapon." Larf.

---I & my bro.
Heineken
Expert
Expert

Re: Hello - new to PO

Unread postby sportsbet01 » Sun 22 Jan 2012, 05:34:34

Hello Everyone,,

I am new here.
sportsbet01
Wood
Wood

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Sun 22 Jan 2012, 05:38:12

Revi wrote:I have a friend who has Canadien horses and brings them over to our maple sugarhouse every spring. They are a very versatile breed that can be used for just about anything and are really tough. They aren't as big as a traditional workhorse nor as fragile as a lot of thoroughbreds. He uses one for a buggy and a team to pull a larger cart. They are really well trained, but they take a lot of time. I think a horse like that may be the way to go. They are usually black and called the petit cheval de fer, or the little iron horse.

Bred for the battlefield, strong for carrying knights in armour, squat for ease of mounting.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby FloridaGirl » Mon 23 Jan 2012, 01:14:43

Welcome ChevalNoir and sportsbet01!

I have horses as well. I have had horses for decades as they are part of who I am. A name like ChevalNoir would have been appropriate for me as 3 of my 4 horses are black (or almost black). Although I believe horses will become more of a necessity in the future, I am not looking forward to that time. At least now, people usually have horses because they like horses where, in the old days, people had horses because they needed them whether they liked them or not.

I'd like to train my horses to pull a cart or wagon but I haven't done so yet. I should at least buy a wagon and harness just in case.

We have canned goods stored and we are learning to grow vegetables. My thought with the canned goods is to have enough to get us through till we can plant and harvest a bigger garden.
FloridaGirl
Peat
Peat

Hi! Newbie wanting documentary recs.

Unread postby Mehitabel » Sun 05 Feb 2012, 01:56:23

Hi all-

It's been a crazy two weeks since I finally watched Collapse and fell down the rabbit hole. Now I want to know what you think is the best film on Peak Oil to introduce people to the topic. I want to convey urgency but I don't want to panic or depress people.

I live in a condo community and I'm hoping to arrange a screening to introduce the topic and suggest we start working together to mitigate the coming effects. If I don't crumble under the pressure I then hope to try a screening at our local library.

So, what film do you think is best to demonstrate the problem to people. Also what books do you think are the best to recommend for a supplemental reading list.

Thanks!
Only when the last tree has been cut down; Only when the last river has been poisoned; Only when the last fish has been caught; Only then will you find that money cannot be eaten.
Proverb, American Indian
Mehitabel
Wood
Wood

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome