Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Hello Pt 6

Say hello, learn how to register, read the rules, get staff announcements.

Re: Well, it's been a while ...

Unread postby Cash » Sat 02 Apr 2011, 15:44:51

I think I remember now why I stopped visiting. This board's workings are miserable! The Back button doesn't work unless I hit it five or six times, pages take forever to load, and the physical architecture, typefaces, and colors make tracking posts and reading them very difficult for anyone who isn't 30 years old with perfect eyesight -- or a lot of patience. With all the really effective and easy to use/read board software out there, why use this one?
Cash
Peat
Peat

Hello from the Pacific Northwest

Unread postby mingoclambake » Sat 02 Apr 2011, 20:28:45

Hello everyone,

I have lurked on the forums off and on for quite a while, and am just now joining. Self-sufficiency has been a major goal for the past several years, although I've had some major set-backs, to the point of having to start at square one-- where I am now, unfortunately. But now I'm trying to save what resources and savings I have left by living as cheaply as possible by living in a $600 van until I figure out my next move. I know someone who believes in peak oil living in a gasoline-powered vehicle may cause some cognitive dissonance, but obviously I am not thinking of it as a long-term solution. And hey: gas, a cheap prepaid cell phone, and beer are literally my only expenses, and I don't actually even drive around that much. The good thing about that is I have all the time in the world to practice primitive skills, bushcraft, and the like.

Anyways, glad to be here.
mingoclambake
Wood
Wood

Re: Hello from the Pacific Northwest

Unread postby Ferretlover » Sat 02 Apr 2011, 20:41:37

Welcome to PeakOil.com. If you have any questions, please ask any moderator. :)
"Open the gates of hell!" ~Morgan Freeman's character in the movie, Olympus Has Fallen.
Ferretlover
Elite
Elite

Re: Hello from the Pacific Northwest

Unread postby Skinner » Sat 02 Apr 2011, 20:43:14

mingoclambake wrote:Hello everyone,

I have lurked on the forums off and on for quite a while, and am just now joining.

Good for you! Same here!

mingo wrote:But now I'm trying to save what resources and savings I have left by living as cheaply as possible by living in a $600 van until I figure out my next move.

Cool! I tried that once, but it was rough. Lurking has taught me quite a bit, not the least of which is that you should have fuel for moving that van around for long enough to make other arrangements.

mingo wrote:The good thing about that is I have all the time in the world to practice primitive skills, bushcraft, and the like.

Anyways, glad to be here.

Me too. And sounds like you are in a decent place to learn bushcraft (PNW). Wasn't that where Rambo was in the first movie? Upload the pics, the first time you get to spear one of those wild hogs with a knife. Always wanted an opportunity to try that one out myself.
Skinner
Peat
Peat

Unread postby davep » Sun 03 Apr 2011, 08:29:00

Cash wrote:I think I remember now why I stopped visiting. This board's workings are miserable! The Back button doesn't work unless I hit it five or six times, pages take forever to load, and the physical architecture, typefaces, and colors make tracking posts and reading them very difficult for anyone who isn't 30 years old with perfect eyesight -- or a lot of patience. With all the really effective and easy to use/read board software out there, why use this one?

The back-button thing only seemed to appear last week.
What we think, we become.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby dolanbaker » Sun 03 Apr 2011, 08:50:44

It's the back button on the browser that doesn't work as it should (and does so for all other sites).
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Hello from Canada's oil sands country!

Unread postby beyondcollapse » Mon 04 Apr 2011, 00:08:43

Hi, so happy to find this forum. Been trying to tell friends/family/wife about PO for a few years now...everyone thinks I'm crazy...especially lately as I keep trying to ramp up our preps, and my warnings sound a little more serious in tone nowadays. Tired of feeling like I'm alone, and that I'm a crazy conspiracy theorist...hopefully I've found some kindred spirits on this site. Anyway, look forward to chattin' with everyone on the boards.

As mentioned in the subject line, I live in oil sands country...northern Alberta, Canada. Production is increasing all around me, all the time...no end in sight...YET.

Happy chatting!
beyondcollapse
Wood
Wood

Re: Hello from Canada's oil sands country!

Unread postby FairMaiden » Thu 07 Apr 2011, 01:33:59

welcome to the forum fellow Canadian. I'm not really prepping myself as I've kind of become numb to it all now. Hubby and I changed jobs to much more secure industry ( not that anything is guaranteed but ppl gotta eat and hubby is now in low priced food industry - they get customers when things get bad)...he doesn't believe any of this stuff. He just follows the mantra "happy wife/happy life" so he plays along. :-D

I do have all debts paid off, good stock of most staples, etc. But I just think that's good practice no matter what. Are you going beyond that? Planning a doomstead or do you have one?

I would like to get some land to grow high protein plants like aramanth or quinoa...but I've always had an interest in that kind of thing.

FM
FairMaiden
Lignite
Lignite

Hello,all

Unread postby leeyn » Thu 07 Apr 2011, 04:02:51

Hello,all....my name is leeyn...I am come from florida...
happy to be a new member today... :) :)
nice to meet more friends here.......... :P
leeyn
Wood
Wood

Re: Newbie from Alaska

Unread postby leeyn » Thu 07 Apr 2011, 04:12:03

welcome from florida.......... 8O
leeyn
Wood
Wood

Re: Hello,all

Unread postby steam_cannon » Thu 07 Apr 2011, 09:32:54

Leeyn, you can find a lot of informative discussions here, arguments and good people. I hope you find what you're looking for. Some of the discussions here can be a bit overwhelming, but remember that the sun will still shine bright no matter what us silly humans do and the world always changes. This is a place where we examine those changes. Welcome :-D
"The multiplication force of technology on cognitive differences is massive." -Jordan Peterson
steam_cannon
Expert
Expert

Re: Newbie from Alaska

Unread postby Ferretlover » Thu 07 Apr 2011, 18:49:26

Welcome to Peakoil.com. If you have any questions, please ask any moderator.
And, you will, undoubtedly, notice our posters run from the impressively Brilliant to the incredibly braindead. :)
"Open the gates of hell!" ~Morgan Freeman's character in the movie, Olympus Has Fallen.
Ferretlover
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Ferretlover » Thu 07 Apr 2011, 18:53:49

Welcome to Peakoil.com. If you have any questions or problems, please ask any moderator for help.
Ferretlover
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Carlhole » Fri 08 Apr 2011, 03:36:18

Whereabouts in Florida do you hail from?
Carlhole

Howdy from Alberta, Canada!

Unread postby Redbone » Sat 09 Apr 2011, 15:20:36

Hi all...I'm new here...and happy to find a place where maybe I won't be considered crazy for talking about peak oil. My family and friends tend to think I'm nuts for merely suggesting that we're headed for an energy crisis. This place gives me hope that I'm not.

See ya on the boards!
Redbone
Wood
Wood

from Titusville Pennsylvania

Unread postby astronomer » Sun 17 Apr 2011, 22:06:23

Hi everybody, I'm not exactly from Titusville but I figured that would ring a bell to most of you since that's where the first oil well in history was drilled in the "valley that changed the world".
I am from the next county over up here in northwest Pennsylvania and I just wanted to take a second to say hi.
I've always been interested in the oil industry and googled a few websites and this looked like the most interesting.
I look forward to learning a lot. There certainly seems to be some pretty knowledgable folks here.
astronomer
Wood
Wood

Re: from Titusville Pennsylvania

Unread postby Oneaboveall » Mon 18 Apr 2011, 00:20:27

Titusville, huh? Welcome aboard. I went to get my second master's at Clarion University and lived there from August 2008 to May 2010.
When the banksters want something, our policymakers move with the speed of Mercury and the determination of Ares. It’s only when the rest of us need something that there is paralysis.

How free are we today with the dominance of globalist capital and militarized security apparatus?
Oneaboveall
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Mon 18 Apr 2011, 01:33:22

Up there around Tionesta, Tidioute, and Torpedo
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Puchica » Mon 18 Apr 2011, 08:14:50

Welcome, Astronomer, but I thought the oil industry started over on this side of Pennsylvania! I better go back and do my homework instead of taking things I hear for granted.
From the secure heights
Puchica
Peat
Peat

Unread postby TreeFarmer » Mon 18 Apr 2011, 08:19:47

Don't forget Pleasantville!
TreeFarmer
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome