Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

PO.com Web Traffic

Say hello, learn how to register, read the rules, get staff announcements.

Re: PO.com Web Traffic

Unread postby mercurygirl » Wed 28 May 2008, 14:53:41

davep wrote:
Aaron wrote:
davep wrote:
Aaron wrote:
3aidlillahi wrote:Is there anyway of knowing if this was the largest day in PO.com history? If it wasn't, which day was?
By about 500 to 600% yeah.
Why does it say "Most users ever online was 960 on Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:06 pm"? Was there some form of stress testing going on at the time?
That's not accurate obviously.
Oh, I was living under the illusion that there was some kind of event that brought in hoards of new people on that day. I guess it's only obvious to those who know. Anyway, congratulations on the popularity. I somehow feel that it'll be the first of many spikes.

I was under the impression that the event at that time was a spike in the aftermath of Katrina. Dunno if that's accurate.
mercurygirl
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby TheDude » Fri 06 Jun 2008, 14:37:01

We've peaked! :razz:

Cogito, ergo non satis bibivi
And let me tell you something: I dig your work.
TheDude
Expert
Expert

Unread postby pup55 » Tue 10 Jun 2008, 21:04:21

Why does it say "Most users ever online was 960 on Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:06 pm"? Was there some form of stress testing going on at the time?

Rita

It was three days after Hurricane Rita hit. No one knew the status of all of those oil platforms that were pummelled. The oil price that day was 65.07, which we all thought was unsustainably high.
pup55
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby lowem » Wed 11 Jun 2008, 00:36:08

TheDude wrote:We've peaked! :razz:

That looks more like falling off the cliff ! What's the depletion rate, like 80%? :lol:
Live quotes - oil/gold/silver
lowem
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Carlhole » Sat 30 Aug 2008, 18:28:16

[align=center]Image[/align]

The sudden spike for traffic on Peak Oil sites obviously coincides with the recent price peak of $147 per barrel of crude. But after all that publicity created by an overheated market and record gasoline prices, the traffic to PO.com has returned to below what it was before (according to Alexa).

I notice that the web traffic numbers on the front page appear to be declining MORE than what Alex indicates. They used to average right around 600 people online at any given time. Now the average appears to be half that amount.

To me, this means that the content of sites like PO.com appeals to a certain type of mental mindset -- people who come here and decide to stay. Otherwise the number and variety of opinions expressed here would be much greater and the science of petroleum depletion and/or inevitable die-off (if valid) would convince great numbers of former cornacopians (or persons initially ignorant of the problem) into rabid Doomers eager to prepare for an imminent survivalist future.

Where did everybody go?

I wanted to teach them all about the strange events of 911.
Carlhole

Unread postby kpeavey » Sat 30 Aug 2008, 21:01:03

August is a popular month for vacations. Everyone is at the beach. They'll be back, school is starting up again.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--for ever."
-George Orwell, 1984
_____

twenty centuries of stony sleep were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle, and what rough beast, its hour come round at last, slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?
-George Yeats
kpeavey
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Aaron » Sat 30 Aug 2008, 23:55:10

Single day events hardly matter statistically.

But it's a portent for the future.
The problem is, of course, that not only is economics bankrupt, but it has always been nothing more than politics in disguise... economics is a form of brain damage.

Hazel Henderson
Aaron
Resting in Peace

Unread postby ennui » Sat 08 Sep 2012, 00:14:20

What a difference three years makes.

I can just see the cobwebs.
ennui
Permanently Banned

Unread postby dolanbaker » Sat 08 Sep 2012, 04:04:17

Just proves that far too many people haven’t joined the dots and realised that it's the limits in supply of one of the key ingredients to growth that's causing the recession (end of "normal" growth)!.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby ralfy » Sat 08 Sep 2012, 07:31:03

More reports had come in during the same three years. See this catalog for details:

http://ralfyman.blogspot.com/
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby ennui » Sat 08 Sep 2012, 09:50:32

dolanbaker wrote:Just proves that far too many people haven’t joined the dots and realised that it's the limits in supply of one of the key ingredients to growth that's causing the recession (end of "normal" growth)!.

No. Eroding traffic like the steady downslide at TheOilDrum points towards those who did connect the dots not feeling benefited by these sites anymore, either because anything that could have been said, has been said, or that the sites adopt an "end is nigh" stance that loses its appeal after however many bad predictions about zombie hordes. Even there, TOD is guilty, for saying 2005 was the oil peak, which implies that TEOWAWKI would soon follow, and recession or no recession, this isn't TEOWAWKI yet. In my case I used to track the news and read the blogs religiously but in the end all it did was steal countless hours of my life away. I wouldn't be posting here if I had something better to do, and this does feel like starting up a bad habit again. The only good part about this site is that there are "personalities", personalities that I know have a certain axe to grind and a passion to grind them. So going toe to toe has a certain entertainment value, but nobody ever has their minds changed online, so it's pointless to try.
ennui
Permanently Banned

Unread postby vision-master » Sat 08 Sep 2012, 09:55:52

2012/ 2013 - The Internet goes quiet........
vision-master

Unread postby Rod_Cloutier » Sat 08 Sep 2012, 10:07:06

In my case I used to track the news and read the blogs religiously but in the end all it did was steal countless hours of my life away. I wouldn't be posting here if I had something better to do, and this does feel like starting up a bad habit again. The only good part about this site is that there are "personalities", personalities that I know have a certain axe to grind and a passion to grind them. So going toe to toe has a certain entertainment value

I'm the same. I went from sheer denial, originally in 2004 thinking that we could just mine Jupiter or Titan for methane, or that 'they' would think of a solution, through the stages of anger and barganing, and finally I'm at acceptance. The point of being here, wasting time, is mute after acceptance has been reached.

I know of half a dozen people in my own extended family which have gotten rid of their personal computers because they don't need them as a distraction in their life. I'm pretty far from this myself, however I realize the amount of time I've spent reading could be better used for other purposes and I've cut back on my computer reading/ browsing time. Sites like this, zerohedge, ect are now for entertainment value only.

There's a sadistic pleasure in watching al the other 'uninformed' people go through all the stages of grief, while I've already obtained acceptance myself. I need a better, less evil hobby.
Rod_Cloutier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby dolanbaker » Sat 08 Sep 2012, 14:25:59

ennui wrote:No. Eroding traffic like the steady downslide at TheOilDrum points towards those who did connect the dots not feeling benefited by these sites anymore, either because anything that could have been said, has been said, or that the sites adopt an "end is nigh" stance that loses its appeal after however many bad predictions about zombie hordes. ... The only good part about this site is that there are "personalities", personalities that I know have a certain axe to grind and a passion to grind them. So going toe to toe has a certain entertainment value, but nobody ever has their minds changed online, so it's pointless to try.

I agree to a certain extent that many of the existing people who have "got it" to have got bored or are like many of us just watching the "coast slowly erode away!" , but I would have expected many more new "lurkers" by now.

People who are looking for answers as to who fuel is so expensive in a recession!
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Ferretlover » Sat 08 Sep 2012, 17:05:27

People come and go here. If you find your way here, you are, for the most part, already a member of the choir--perhaps looking for a little validation of your perception of world events, or, just want to note the "progress" of the downhill slide of humanity.
Make no mistake about it: resources are limited, those that can be replenished cannot keep up with the planet's population growth, and, as a species, humans, for the most part, will do way too little, way too late.
When PO.com reaches the point that we are swamped with posters, you can (i'm certain) count on the fact that the world is in the handbasket and rushing towards hell at breakneck speed.
Of course, I could be wrong. But, I have seen absolutely nothing that disputes the above logic. Sorry!
"Open the gates of hell!" ~Morgan Freeman's character in the movie, Olympus Has Fallen.
Ferretlover
Elite
Elite

Unread postby sparky » Sun 09 Sep 2012, 23:27:07

The change in trafic is a change in circunstances , sudden events bring sudden interests
we live in a fast turn around , dominated by clever wordplay and grab bites
when things are moving in a predictable pattern , there is few novelty value
Peak oil is not a weekly event , it's a decade event
We peakers will be repeatedly proven wrong
until the peak will be so obvious to everyone it will not even be in the news
sparky
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Previous

Return to Welcome