Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

operating systems

Having trouble? Is the forum having trouble?

Moderator: admin

Re: operating systems

Unread postby radon1 » Wed 30 Jan 2019, 13:41:59

Outcast_Searcher wrote: It often requires various fixes, etc. for various websites, for example.

No, it doesn't. Certainly not with websites. Don't know where you get this from. It probably works better with websites than windows, as web-surfing is mostly chromium based currently, and entire chrome (read google) community have linux as their workplace system. Plus 90% of web servers are actually running linux.

And solid linux distributions are actually much easier to install than windows. It is like 1.5-2 gb download and it takes about 15-30 minutes to install them. You do not even need to install them in order to run them, you can put them on USB or another external carrier and run them from there, to have a look or even for everyday use. Have a go and try for yourself. The only problem with this method is that windows prevents booting from externals unless you temporarily change windows' own boot options.

The only problem that you might have with linux is running windows' native progs, but nowadays you can run them from steam even if they are not games, with a couple of simple tweaks. In a matter of months even the need for tweaks will be gone. And the performance is often better than with windows as windows overhead is heavier than steam's translation layer overhead.
radon1
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Wed 30 Jan 2019, 13:50:34

radon1 wrote:
Outcast_Searcher wrote: It often requires various fixes, etc. for various websites, for example.

No, it doesn't. Certainly not with websites.

Well, you can say "no it doesn't", and I can say, "Yes it does", but that doesn't accomplish much.

I got my information from a decent number of personal experiences trying to help friends convert to Linux. Who wanted to use specific websites, like brokerage websites. Since I don't know Linux or Xubuntu, and have no desire to become a system programmer for those OS's, they were never able to convert. 100% of the time, as their efforts online, etc. failed too.

You don't seem to get it. What are "simple tweaks" to you aren't things that normal folks who just know how to click icons etc. know how to get into or WANT to get into. It's not that hard a concept.

I've also discussed this with other folks who are ardent Linux fans, and they agreed with me that this is a real world issue with Linux and its variants.

But if you want to go with the usual emotional behavior of "I don't agree with you, so you must be wrong", and that makes you feel better, have at it.

You might make note, by the way, that I stated that for the computer savvy, Linux is a fine choice. Rationality is a thing. Compromise is a thing. Acknowledging data you might wish were otherwise is a thing.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby radon1 » Wed 30 Jan 2019, 16:54:43

Outcast_Searcher wrote:Who wanted to use specific websites

Doesn't seem to make much sense, websites should be system-agnostic. In any event, it is worth to ask for an update from the "ardent fans". Not in relation to "the cutting edge" (which is their jargon for seeking problems for the sake of problems), but about the general state of the things. They have changed quite a lot lately. If you have a laptop, and consider ditching it in favor of a chromebook (which is anyway linux powered if I am not mistaken), then your laptop under linux will do all the things that chromebook does without any issues, plus many things on top of it.
radon1
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby radon1 » Sat 02 Feb 2019, 08:27:49

This gentleman gets it done well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOOkfGv58u0

Instructions for try-out are at the end of the video.
radon1
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sun 03 Feb 2019, 00:34:11

radon1 wrote:
Outcast_Searcher wrote:Who wanted to use specific websites

Doesn't seem to make much sense, websites should be system-agnostic. In any event, it is worth to ask for an update from the "ardent fans". Not in relation to "the cutting edge" (which is their jargon for seeking problems for the sake of problems), but about the general state of the things. They have changed quite a lot lately. If you have a laptop, and consider ditching it in favor of a chromebook (which is anyway linux powered if I am not mistaken), then your laptop under linux will do all the things that chromebook does without any issues, plus many things on top of it.

Yes, the Chrome OS is based on Linux. The reviews I'm seeing is that the Chrome OS mostly just works for simple things, and I'm attracted to the relatively virus impervious nature of its sandbox based environment for use on the web. They're improving / expanding it too. Now it can run Android apps, and rumors are that they will be officially supporting a dual boot mode for Windows.

I can still run my apps on Windows 7 offline, and sneaker-net files from the Web through Chrome to it for manipulation in Windows 7 I think I'm set for quite a while.

I could use Windows 10 until late 2025, but I'm frankly tired of all Microsoft's nonsense.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby radon1 » Sun 03 Feb 2019, 04:27:12

In some exotic situations, websites could have had problems with proprietary plugins in the past, such as the flashplayer. At some point, Adobe dropped linux support for it and you'd have to do some command line manipulations to set it up. But later, the support was resumed.

Still, proprietary software cannot be delivered within the default system configuration under an open source (linux) license. But all you need to do is to select the Software Center in the menu, and click on the flashplayer icon in there, and it will be set up for you. This is the same procedure as setting up a chrome app in the google store, but simpler.

In any event, the current trend is to move from flashplayer to html5 (from proprietary to open source), and this is no longer an issue.
radon1
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Previous

Return to Technical Support