Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Oil and Natural Gas In Brazil

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: Another find.. Fresh oil and gas find in Brazil: (updati

Unread postby Ludi » Fri 29 Oct 2010, 19:34:24

ian807 wrote:We won't get a choice.

We won't get a choice whether to power down or cling to BAU? I don't believe that. We make the choice every day whether we are powering down or trying to keep the same old way of life alive. Every single day. Most people will fight tooth and nail to cling to BAU, and make life much harder for themselves and their children in consequence. I don't personally believe most "we don't have a choice" statements. :P
Ludi

Unread postby dolanbaker » Fri 29 Oct 2010, 19:44:54

Ludi wrote:

We won't get a choice whether to power down or cling to BAU? I don't believe that. We make the choice every day whether we are powering down or trying to keep the same old way of life alive. Every single day. Most people will fight tooth and nail to cling to BAU, and make life much harder for themselves and their children in consequence. I don't personally believe most "we don't have a choice" statements. :P

I think there are many here who will stick with BAU for as long as possible while preparing Plan B, I believe I have another 10 years before the SHTF and private transport becomes beyond my reach, hopefully by then I will have secured a decent job within biking range.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby copious.abundance » Fri 29 Oct 2010, 21:43:31

Here is the list to date of Brazilian oil discoveries I've cataloged, with links to the articles. I discovered the total I had on page 22 had a math error which I've fixed. I'm also putting the OGX discovery from 12/09 under review - I'm not sure if it's part of another catalog entry or not. In the meantime I've excluded it from the total.

Brazil Oil Discoveries: Name - Size - Month/Year
Papa-Terra - 700 million - 1 billion barrels - 12/05 (LINK)
Xerelete - 1.4 billion barrels - 7/07 (LINK)
Tupi - 5-8 billion barrels - 11/07 (LINK)
Golfinho - 150 million barrels - 7/08 (LINK)
Iara - 3-4 billion barrels - 10/08 (LINK)
Additions to Jubarte - 1.9 billion barrels - 10/08 (LINK, LINK)
Tiro - 150 million barrels - 10/08 (LINK)
Sub-salt layers of Baleia Franca, Baleia Azul, and Jubarte - 1.5-2 billion barrels - 11/08 (LINK)
Aruana - 280 million barrels - 8/09 (LINK)
Guara - 1.1-2 billion barrels - 09/09 (LINK)
Vesuvio - 500 million - 1.5 billion barrels - 10/09 (LINK)
Caricoa - 681 million barrels - 11/09 (LINK)
Well OGX-2A - 400-500 million barrels - 11/09 (LINK)
Addition to Marimba - 25 million barrels - 11/09 (LINK)
* Addition to Well OGX-2A - 600 million-1.5 billion barrels - 12/09 (LINK)
Well OGX-4-RUS - 100-200 million barrels - 02/10 (LINK)
Well 1-OGX-3-RJS - 500-900 million barrels - 02/10 (LINK)
Well 4-PM-53 - 25 million barrels - 02/10 (LINK)
Additions to Barracuda - 65 million barrels - 2/10 (LINK)
Maastrichtian section of Well OGX-5 - 30-90 million barrels - 2/10 (LINK)
Piranema - 15 million barrels - 3/10 (LINK)
Wahoo - 300 million barrels - 4/10 (LINK)
Franco - 4.5 billion barrels - 5/10 (LINK)
Pipeline and Etna (well OGX-6) - 1.4-2.6 billion barrels - 5/10 (LINK)
Waimea and Fuji (wells OGX-2 and OGX-8) - 600 million-1.1 billion barrels - 5/10 (LINK)
Carimbe - 105 million barrels - 5/10 (LINK)
Brava - 380 million barrels - 6/10 (LINK)
Libra - 3.7-15 billion barrels - 10/10 (LINK)
-------------------------------------------
Running total: 28.506 billion - 48.866 billion barrels

* = under review
Stuff for doomers to contemplate:
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1190117.html#p1190117
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1193930.html#p1193930
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1206767.html#p1206767
copious.abundance
Fission
Fission

Unread postby dixonge » Sat 30 Oct 2010, 01:07:09

OilFinder2 wrote:Here is the list to date of Brazilian oil discoveries I've cataloged, with links to the articles.
<snip>

Who cares? They could find 500 BILLION BARRELS tomorrow and it won't matter a hill of beans unless they can bring production back up to meet demand.

The Ghawar field is estimated to have originally contained 162 billion barrels of oil. Over 50 billion have been pumped out at a rate of just over 5 million barrels per day, using over 3000 wells.

Brazil's fields might get 2 million a day. Sure, every little bit helps, but their 50 billion in theoretical reserve means nothing without production. And let's hope the estimates aren't off as bad as Alaska's!
dixonge
Wood
Wood

Unread postby ian807 » Sat 30 Oct 2010, 09:09:07

Ludi wrote:

"Choice" is one of those words like "free will" which I don't claim to understand very well. I think that most people will engage in BAU right up until the day they can't. I think most people won't prepare, or consider the matter, right up until the day they drive up to the gas station and find that it's $25 a gallon and that everything else in their lives is similarly more expensive over the course of the next year. Could they have something different? Sure. Will they? No.
ian807
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby ian807 » Sat 30 Oct 2010, 09:13:39

dixonge wrote:
OilFinder2 wrote:Here is the list to date of Brazilian oil discoveries I've cataloged, with links to the articles.
<snip>

Who cares? They could find 500 BILLION BARRELS tomorrow and it won't matter a hill of beans unless they can bring production back up to meet demand.

The Ghawar field is estimated to have originally contained 162 billion barrels of oil. Over 50 billion have been pumped out at a rate of just over 5 million barrels per day, using over 3000 wells.

Brazil's fields might get 2 million a day. Sure, every little bit helps, but their 50 billion in theoretical reserve means nothing without production. And let's hope the estimates aren't off as bad as Alaska's!

Though your point about production is well taken, it also won't matter a hill of beans unless the oil is economical to extract and energy positive. Alaska's case is quite instructive. It shows that the estimates of reservoir engineers are just that - estimates, with the potential of being off by a factor of 10. Hopefully we'll get lucky and get a few that are off in the other direction. Given the tendency of oil companies and countries like Saudi to exaggerate the size of their finds in order to get financing, I'm not betting on it.
ian807
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 17 Nov 2010, 17:52:20

Looks like they are trying to get at it.

November 14, 2010

Petrobras on $3.46 billion FPSO hull spree
Petrobras and its partners have signed contracts worth $3.46 billion with Brazil's Engevix Engenharia S.A. They cover the construction of eight FPSO hulls at the Rio Grande Naval Hub, which is based on the Estaleiros Rio Grande shipyard with its 133 m x 350 m dry dock and giant gantry crane,

The FPSO's (floating, production, storage and offloading units) based on the hulls will serve as production platforms in the first phase development for the pre-salt area in the Santos Basin.

The hulls have been ordered as part of a new strategy for the construction of production units, designed to simplify projects and standardize equipment. Producing identical hulls in series will accelerate the construction phase, and allow economies of scale and cost optimization.

Each FPSO will be able to process up to 150,000 barrels of oil and 6 million cubic meters of gas per day. All units are expected to start operating by 2017 and to reach the production targets set in Petrobras' Business Plan for the pre-salt area. The expectation is that the platforms will add about 900,000 barrels of oil per day to domestic production when operating at maximum capacity.

The local content in the hulls is expected to reach around 70 percent. The first steel shipments will take place in January, and hull constructions will start in March. The first two hulls will be delivered in 2013, and the others in 2014 and 2015.

Six of the eight units, six will be operated by the consortium formed for Block BM-S-11, where the Tupi and Iracema areas are located. The two others will be operated by the consortium formed for Block BM-S-9, where the Guara and Carioca fields are located.

The Block BM-S-11 consortium is operated by Petrobras (65%), in partnership with BG E&P Brasil Ltda. (25%), and Galp Energia (10%). The Block BM-S-9 consortium is operated by Petrobras (45%), in partnership with BG E&P Brasil Ltda. (30%), and Repsol Brasil S.A. (25%).

http://www.marinelog.com/DOCS/NEWSMMIX/ ... 00124.html
When going through hell, keep going! Churchill
Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much. E Wiman
I know there’s no solution, so I just enjoy what’s here and I enjoy the journey G Carlin
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby copious.abundance » Fri 26 Nov 2010, 16:44:58

Whoa - oil out in the middle of the Amazon. Tree huggers will love this! :lol:

LINK
Petrobras Confirms Oil Discovery in Amazon
Petrobras|Friday, November 26, 2010

Petrobras announced that the first data obtained from the Extended Well Test (EWT), which got underway in September at exploratory well 1-ICB-1-AM (Igarapé Chibata No. 1), confirms the discovery of a new accumulation of light oil (46º API) and natural gas in the city of Tefé (state of Amazonas), 630 km away from the city of Manaus and 32 km from the Urucu oil province. The Company already has three fields producing oil and natural gas in the city of Coari.

The 3,485-meter well was drilled in the Solimões Basin, in Block SOL-T-171, for which Petrobras owns the exploration and production rights. Thus far, the EWT data indicate that the well is capable of producing 2,500 barrels of oil per day, an excellent result when dealing with this type of basin in Brazil.

[...]
copious.abundance
Fission
Fission

Unread postby TheDude » Wed 15 Dec 2010, 18:20:10

Petrobras Cuts Oil Production Growth Forecast by Half - Bloomberg

Petroleo Brasileiro SA, Brazil’s state-controlled oil company, said production next year will rise by less than half a previous forecast as output at older fields declines.

Output will increase by 3.5 percent to 4 percent, Guilherme Estrella, head of exploration and production, told reporters today in Rio de Janeiro. Petrobras previously said in a presentation that output would rise on average as much as 9.4 percent a year and reach 3.9 million barrels a day in 2014. Daily oil and natural gas output averaged 2.56 million barrels in the first 10 months of 2010, according to its website.

“A large part of our production comes from mature fields, fields that face, like all fields in the world, steep declines,” Estrella said.
Cogito, ergo non satis bibivi
And let me tell you something: I dig your work.
TheDude
Expert
Expert

Unread postby copious.abundance » Wed 29 Dec 2010, 19:21:12

LINK
Petrobras's Tupi, Iracema Oil Reserves Beat Estimates
By Peter Millard - Dec 29, 2010 1:19 PM PT

Petroleo Brasileiro SA, Brazil’s state-controlled oil producer, said that two deepwater oil fields hold 8.3 billion barrels of recoverable crude, exceeding previous estimates.

The Lula field in the Tupi area has 6.5 billion barrels of recoverable oil and equivalents and the Cernambi field at Iracema holds 1.8 billion barrels, Rio de Janeiro-based Petrobras said in a regulatory filing today. That compares with a previous estimate of a combined 5 billion to 8 billion barrels. Petrobras declared the two areas off Brazil’s southeastern coast commercial after drilling 11 wells.

[...]

LINK
Brazilian Oil Regulator Finds More Signs of Crude at Libra Offshore Field
By Peter Millard - Dec 28, 2010 9:45 AM PT

Brazil found more evidence of oil at the government’s Libra offshore field, which may be the largest oil discovery in the Americas in more than three decades.

Brazil’s oil regulator, known as the ANP, found a second layer of hydrocarbons at Libra, according to records on its website dated Dec. 27. The regulator first discovered oil at the field in late October.

Libra is estimated to hold as much as 15 billion barrels of recoverable oil, which would eclipse Brazil’s total current reserve base and make it the biggest find in the Americas since Mexico discovered Cantarell in 1976. The estimate disclosed by the ANP in October means Libra may hold almost twice as much oil as state-controlled Petroleo Brasileiro SA’s nearby Tupi field.

[...]
copious.abundance
Fission
Fission

Unread postby sparky » Wed 29 Dec 2010, 20:46:31

Oilfinder , what kind of a timeline of production can be expected from Brazil deep offshore
sparky
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby copious.abundance » Wed 29 Dec 2010, 21:58:50

sparky wrote:.
Oilfinder , what kind of a timeline of production can be expected from Brazil deep offshore

A few have already started production (such as Jubarte) while others are years away.
copious.abundance
Fission
Fission

Unread postby copious.abundance » Wed 19 Jan 2011, 16:16:54

LINK
Brazil Oil Fields May Hold More Than Twice Estimated
By Peter Millard - Jan 19, 2011

Brazilian oil deposits below a layer of salt in the Atlantic Ocean hold at least 123 billion barrels of reserves, more than double government estimates, according to a university study by a former Petroleo Brasileiro SA geologist.

The research, which set out to show government figures were too optimistic, found they underestimated the area’s potential, said Hernani Chaves, a professor at the Rio de Janeiro State University who worked at Petrobras for 35 years. The forecast, which the study puts at a 90 percent probability, compares with the Brazilian oil regulator’s 50 billion-barrel estimate.

“We started with a skeptical view and finished with bigger numbers,” Chaves said in an interview at the university, in the city of Rio. “When we got the first results I said: ‘Something is wrong, it’s too big.’”

[...]
copious.abundance
Fission
Fission

Unread postby TheAntiDoomer » Wed 19 Jan 2011, 19:36:20

OilFinder2 wrote:LINK

Brazilian oil deposits below a layer of salt in the Atlantic Ocean hold at least 123 billion barrels of reserves, more than double government estimates, according to a university study by a former Petroleo Brasileiro SA geologist.

The research, which set out to show government figures were too optimistic, found they underestimated the area’s potential, said Hernani Chaves, a professor at the Rio de Janeiro State University who worked at Petrobras for 35 years. The forecast, which the study puts at a 90 percent probability, compares with the Brazilian oil regulator’s 50 billion-barrel estimate.

“We started with a skeptical view and finished with bigger numbers,” Chaves said in an interview at the university, in the city of Rio. “When we got the first results I said: ‘Something is wrong, it’s too big.’”

[...]

Sweet, when does this big dog get cataloged? 8)
"The human ability to innovate out of a jam is profound.That’s why Darwin will always be right, and Malthus will always be wrong.” -K.R. Sridhar

Do I make you Corny? :)

"expect 8$ gas on 08/08/08" - Prognosticator
TheAntiDoomer
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby ian807 » Wed 19 Jan 2011, 19:45:41

TheAntiDoomer wrote:

[...]

Sweet, when does this big dog get cataloged? 8)

Excellent news. If the oil is cheap enough to extract and has sufficiently positive EROEI, it could add 4 years to the world's oil supplies at current consumption rates, and gives us that much more time to prepare.
ian807
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby copious.abundance » Wed 19 Jan 2011, 20:11:33

TheAntiDoomer wrote:Sweet, when does this big dog get cataloged? 8)

This isn't a single field, so it won't go in the Catalog.

ian807 wrote:Excellent news. If the oil is cheap enough to extract and has sufficiently positive EROEI, it could add 4 years to the world's oil supplies at current consumption rates.

Yes, roughly a Ghawar in terms of size.
copious.abundance
Fission
Fission

Unread postby copious.abundance » Thu 26 May 2011, 02:04:59

On pre-salt.com I've discovered some interesting info about preliminary development plans for some of the recent discoveries.

Libra - this was the 3.6-15 billion barrel discovery announced last year.
Libra will require 9 FPSOs linked to 92 production wells and 92 injection wells to recover the Best Estimate resources of 7,877 MMBbl at an initial rate of 25,000 bopd/well.

If I understand that correctly, that's 92 production wells * 25,000 bopd/well = 2.3 million bopd.

I presume those 92 wells will be developed over several years, so the peak production would probably be less since the early wells might start declining by the time the later ones come online. But still ....

Franco - also discovered last year, this contains 3-9 billion barrels
Franco will require 6 FPSOs with 62 production and 62 injection wells to recover the 2C resources of 5,388 MM of barrels at an initial rate of 25,000 bopd/well.

62 wells * 25,000 bopd/well = 1.55 million bpd, with the same caveat as above.

Lotsa oil! :shock:
copious.abundance
Fission
Fission

Unread postby copious.abundance » Tue 07 Jun 2011, 15:49:26

LINK
Petrobras hikes 10-yr oil output target-CFO
Fri Jun 3, 2011 1:17pm EDT
* CFO Barbassa say Petrobras output to reach 6 mln bpd
* Previous forecast was 5.4 mln bpd for 2020
By Brian Ellsworth

RIO DE JANEIRO, June 3 (Reuters) - Brazilian state-led oil company Petrobras said on Friday it will produce more than any other publicly listed oil company at 6 million barrels of oil equivalent a day in 2020, 10% more than its previous estimate.

The expanded production estimate, presented by Chief Financial Officer Almir Barbassa on Friday in Rio de Janeiro, is based primarily on the addition of new ultra-deep-water assets and exploration areas near Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo.

The previous global estimate, announced in 2010, was 5.4 million barrels. Of that figure, about 1.13 million barrels a day, or 23% was natural gas. About 6% of the estimate refers to oil and gas production outside of Brazil.

[...]

For reference, 94% of 6 million would be 5.64 million boepd. Subtract 23% which would be natural gas and you get 4.34 million bpd of actual oil.

But wait - there's more! 8O

LINK
OGX Anticipates 730,000 boepd by 2015
OGX S.A. | Tuesday, June 07, 2011

OGX announced the Company's business plan for the Campos and Parnaíba discoveries.

"Following OGX's discoveries and successful appraisal campaign in the Campos and Parnaíba basins, we are pleased to announce our business plan for the development and production of OGX's resources portfolio. The pro-forma liquidity of approximately US $5.1 billion of cash and cash equivalents that we have on hand will enable us to reach stable positive cash flows in 2014 and secure an estimated production of 730,000 boepd by the end of 2015," commented Paulo Mendonça, OGX's General Executive Officer and Exploration Officer. "We remain confident in our ability to continue executing our exploration and production plan in the coming years, while efficiently managing our cost base," added Mr. Mendonça.

[...]

There's also an update on the Libra discovery, I'll post it later.
copious.abundance
Fission
Fission

Unread postby copious.abundance » Tue 07 Jun 2011, 23:31:44

OilFinder2 wrote:There's also an update on the Libra discovery, I'll post it later.

Here is it: Drilling the well at Libra has been completed, and it has come in at the low end of the estimate (specifically, 4.5 - 5 billion barrels). The number cited last year was a pre-drill estimate, not a final one. I have edited the Catalog to reflect the new info.
copious.abundance
Fission
Fission

Unread postby copious.abundance » Tue 07 Jun 2011, 23:34:01

And it looks like these folks hit it right on the nail. Also from that article:
The researchers are less optimistic than the oil regulator on the size of the government’s Libra field, the country’s largest. They estimate Libra holds about 5 billion barrels, compared with as much as 15 billion estimated by the ANP, as the regulator is known.
copious.abundance
Fission
Fission

PreviousNext

Return to South America Discussion