Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Obamacare Q&A - NO politics!

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: Obamacare Q&A - NO politics!

Unread postby vision-master » Mon 28 Oct 2013, 08:51:33

Most people are lucky to net $2,450/month these day's.
vision-master

Unread postby Pops » Mon 28 Oct 2013, 09:01:58

This thread is specifically for questions regarding procedures and provisions of the law itself, how to work the exchanges (when they work) etc.

Everything else goes in the opinion thread,

thanks.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 28 Oct 2013, 17:42:47

Ok, sorry!
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby dinopello » Sat 16 Nov 2013, 13:09:32

Just curious if this site is of any help or accurate for people looking for coverage

http://www.thehealthsherpa.com/

My company offers half a dozen policy types and so far none are affected by ACA in any significant way. I guess I'm part of the 80%.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Loki » Sat 23 Nov 2013, 00:33:44

Oregon has signed up a grand total of ZERO people on their website. Zero, none, nada, not a single solitary soul. Astounding. And it's not like they hired a fly-by-night company to set it up, Oracle was the lead contractor. Needless to say, I haven't bothered to waste my time with the site. And I won't be faxing the 19-page application any time soon. Looks like no health care for me for the foreseeable future.

ETA: Opinion edited out. Simple facts about how Obamacare is working out in Third World America.
A garden will make your rations go further.
Loki
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Loki » Sat 23 Nov 2013, 01:07:03

Oracle, Cover Oregon’s main IT contractor, initially promised it would complete the system by the end of October, but that deadline was missed. On Wednesday, King told legislators that the new deadline Oracle offered is Dec. 16, which is the day after the deadline to enroll for coverage that begins Jan. 1.

Still, King was not ready to tell lawmakers with confidence that Oracle would be able to follow through on its latest commitment.

“I no longer use the word hope,” King said during the Joint Committee on Legislative Audits, Information Management and Technology hearing. “I learned through this experience that’s not an optimal word when it comes to an IT project.

“I’m not hoping anything.”

http://www.statesmanjournal.com/article ... w-deadline
A garden will make your rations go further.
Loki
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Pops » Thu 19 Dec 2013, 09:53:36

Here is a link to the official plan summary I chose. It's quite a bit better than the rough description I found on the healthcare.gov site - that is if I read the codewords correctly. It has a $1,700 individual deductible, out of pocket max of $2,250 individual, $100 co-pay on ER and $0 on hospital (after deductible).

Cost was just under $1k/mo and subsidy on estimated $30k income is just over $1k/mo.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby vision-master » Thu 19 Dec 2013, 10:35:38

Pops wrote:Here is a link to the official plan summary I chose. It's quite a bit better than the rough description I found on the healthcare.gov site - that is if I read the codewords correctly. It has a $1,700 individual deductible, out of pocket max of $2,250 individual, $100 co-pay on ER and $0 on hospital (after deductible).

Cost was just under $1k/mo and subsidy on estimated $30k income is just over $1k/mo.

pops, if your subsidy places you on Medicaid, put that farm into a trust if you can.
vision-master

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 19 Dec 2013, 11:45:27

Pops wrote:Here is a link to the official plan summary I chose. It's quite a bit better than the rough description I found on the healthcare.gov site - that is if I read the codewords correctly. It has a $1,700 individual deductible, out of pocket max of $2,250 individual, $100 co-pay on ER and $0 on hospital (after deductible).

Sooooo, it free?
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby vision-master » Thu 19 Dec 2013, 12:30:15

Newfie wrote:

Sooooo, it free?

Not free if he get's Medicaid, the Country puts a lien on the homestead.
vision-master

Unread postby Pops » Thu 19 Dec 2013, 12:47:58

Newfie wrote:

Sooooo, it free?

yep.
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 19 Dec 2013, 14:00:20

Pops wrote:
Newfie wrote:

Sooooo, it free?

yep.

Cool, way cool. Thanks.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Roger Rabbit » Thu 19 Dec 2013, 14:02:51

ObamaCare Found To Restrict Where You Live And Travel

Freedom: It's bad enough that the president's health insurance takeover costs more, breaks his pledge of letting you keep your plan and diminishes choice. It actually restricts your travels too.

'We have never had to put a wall up to keep our people in." Those words from President John F. Kennedy in June 1963, standing at the Berlin Wall, neatly illustrated the moral superiority of the free West over the Soviet bloc.

But Americans are now about to find themselves grappling with their own bureaucratic Berlin Wall. The American Thinker's Stella Paul has exposed the virtually unnoticed fact that within the ObamaCare exchanges so many Americans are being forced into, "most plans only provide local medical coverage."

Paul warns this will have "a profound impact on the real-estate market, particularly the second home sector, and on the travel business." She interviewed one Connecticut retiree whose health required having a winter home in South Carolina. Her $450-per-month, $2,500 deductible, no co-pay Blue Cross policy that had worked well in both states was suddenly canceled.

http://news.investors.com/ibd-editorials-obama-care/121813-683475-obamacare-interferes-with-residential-and-travel-liberties.htm#ixzz2nuYUbJwT
Roger Rabbit

Unread postby Pops » Thu 19 Dec 2013, 15:59:30

I just gotta laugh.

In fact, The ACA requires multi-state plans.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/30/us/po ... .html?_r=0

U.S. Plans to Unveil New Insurance Options
By ROBERT PEAR
Published: September 29, 2013

WASHINGTON — The Obama administration plans on Monday to announce scores of new health insurance options to be offered to consumers around the country by the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association and the United States Office of Personnel Management, the agency that arranges health benefits for federal employees, according to administration officials.

The options are part of a multistate insurance program that Congress authorized in 2010 to increase options for consumers shopping in the online insurance markets scheduled to open on Tuesday.

Congress conceived multistate plans as an alternative to a pure government-run insurance program — the “public option” championed by liberal Democrats and opposed by Republicans in 2009-10.

“The multistate program will help deliver choice and high-value health plans in the new marketplace, expanding quality, affordable options for uninsured Americans,” an administration official said.

The administration plans to unveil the program on Monday, the official said, even as Congress fights over the future of President Obama’s health care law, intended to provide coverage to more than 25 million people within three years.

Federal officials said they had signed a contract with the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association to offer health insurance next year in the marketplaces, or exchanges, of 30 states and the District of Columbia. In later years, the officials said, they hoped to see at least two multistate plans in every state, as Congress envisioned.

Under its federal contract, Blue Cross and Blue Shield will offer different products in different states — a total of more than 150 products, including health maintenance organizations and preferred provider organizations, which give discounts for using selected health care providers. In many of the products, consumers will have access to a nationwide network of doctors and hospitals.
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Pops » Thu 19 Dec 2013, 16:24:41

In fact I found that the multi-state Blue Shield plan offered was about 50% more expensive than Coventry. The difference that I saw was that the Coventry plan didn't contract with the hospital and docs I wanted.

A PPO (Preferred Provider) plan contracts with specific providers for a better rate. By definition, a multi-state plan must contract with more providers (read higher priced as well as low) so it makes sense it doesn't get as good a deal so must charge more - even though blue cross/shield are non-profits.
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby vision-master » Thu 19 Dec 2013, 17:01:00

Roger Rabbit wrote:ObamaCare Found To Restrict Where You Live And Travel

Freedom: It's bad enough that the president's health insurance takeover costs more, breaks his pledge of letting you keep your plan and diminishes choice. It actually restricts your travels too.

'We have never had to put a wall up to keep our people in." Those words from President John F. Kennedy in June 1963, standing at the Berlin Wall, neatly illustrated the moral superiority of the free West over the Soviet bloc.

But Americans are now about to find themselves grappling with their own bureaucratic Berlin Wall. The American Thinker's Stella Paul has exposed the virtually unnoticed fact that within the ObamaCare exchanges so many Americans are being forced into, "most plans only provide local medical coverage."

Paul warns this will have "a profound impact on the real-estate market, particularly the second home sector, and on the travel business." She interviewed one Connecticut retiree whose health required having a winter home in South Carolina. Her $450-per-month, $2,500 deductible, no co-pay Blue Cross policy that had worked well in both states was suddenly canceled.

http://news.investors.com/ibd-editorials-obama-care/121813-683475-obamacare-interferes-with-residential-and-travel-liberties.htm#ixzz2nuYUbJwT

You are a shill from GLP, teabaggers heaven.
vision-master

Unread postby Roger Rabbit » Thu 19 Dec 2013, 21:07:57

vision-master wrote:

Yes I have got some info from there and many other sites as well, but I am not a shill, just helping expose the crimes from the Whitehouse, That's all..

:P
Roger Rabbit

Unread postby Pops » Thu 19 Dec 2013, 21:15:17

Roger Rabbit wrote:
vision-master wrote:

Yes I have got some info from there and many other sites as well, but I am not a shill, just helping expose the crimes from the Whitehouse, That's all..

:P

See the title? No politics in this thread.
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby evilgenius » Sun 22 Dec 2013, 12:32:23

Following up my personal situation, I have been able to register on my state's site. That's as far as I got there. Upon being rejected for Medicaid I was passed back to the state site, only to find everything listed at full price. Because my income fell below the minimum level they assumed I would have Medicaid coverage, so they did not offer any subsidy. In order to sort this out I had a chat with someone from the state.

All is not lost. What happened when I applied was that I was denied Medicaid under the 2013 rules, which placed a cutoff at $1,800. My 1040 income will be low (I have a lot of business write-offs), but not that low. All of my attempts to sign up were under the assumption that I would not receive Medicaid. In 2014 the Medicaid limits are supposed to change and become the Obamacare plan's minimum cutoff (something like $14,600), which should include me in Medicaid. The person I spoke to said that I should get a letter in the mail in January from Medicaid detailing how I now qualify.

My question now is will I still just wind up paying out of pocket for all of the same stuff I pay for now? What does Medicaid cover? How restricted is it? Maybe I will be able to get checkups and stuff, and establish a relationship with a physician, but what about the ones I have been going to on my own on a piecemeal basis? Will they pay for prescriptions I receive through doctors not covered by Medicaid?

As for gaming the "system": when I was trying to figure this out I spoke to somebody who sells insurance. They said that the way to game the system is to report your income as low as possible, in order to get the highest subsidy. They reported theirs at about $20,0000 a year. They said that low and a person will only pay about $100 a month. The subsidies are tax credits, they said, so when you do have a higher income you will pay the difference at tax time, but for now you will keep your monthly payments down. Gaming it that way may work for some, they said.

Originally, I thought I might have to sort of reverse game, go and over-report my income. I tried to see if that would even be possible by attempting to change my original figures on the site, as a test. I found out you can't edit what you first put in. If you are "in" for the lie, you are going to have to stick with it. If you are "in" for the truth, you have to live with that too. Since I like telling the truth, I'm glad of that. It forced me to talk to someone rather than attempt a reverse game. As long as Medicaid does come through I should be fine. If they don't, then I have discovered a new sort of 'donut hole'.
evilgenius
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Pops » Sun 22 Dec 2013, 13:15:37

Thanks Evil.

Are you saying the level at which the ACA subsidy kicks in will be lowered or that your state will raise the limit?

The states administer medicaid and most of the red states decided to oppose the expansion, since the SCOTUS decided it is voluntary.

https://www.healthcare.gov/what-if-my-s ... -medicaid/
http://obamacarefacts.com/obamacares-me ... ansion.php
Pops
Elite
Elite

PreviousNext

Return to North America Discussion