http://thehill.com/policy/energy-enviro ... ate-change

A candle light in the deep night.
M_B_S
M_B_S
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: NZ bans offshore drilling

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Mon 16 Apr 2018, 12:06:23

Smart move by the Kiwi’s: saves those petroleum resources for the future. Of course, does nothing to help reduce climate change since they import much of their fossil fuel consumption. Which is why the country is close to its peak consumption. IOW NZ has just a short time ago reached record GHG generation. Just burning someone else's fossil fuels instead of its own. Producing oil/NG generates very little GHG compared to burning refinery products. BTW current Kiwi coal consumption is greater than any time before 2002. And that’s thanks to coal imports of which there were essentially none prior to 2000. And then peaked at 1.4 million short tons in 2006. Which decreased due to high coal prices: once coal prices decreased NZ coal imports increased. And burning NG has been on a steady rise for the last 10 years.

https://www.indexmundi.com/energy/?coun ... ph=imports

Bottom line: even with no new oil drilling NZ continues to produce much more GHG today then during most of its history. They have just been burning a lot more of someone else’s fossil fuels for much of the last 15 years. IOW since 2000, when the world began focusing on the potential climate damage due to the generation of GHG, the production of GHG from burning coal in NZ increased 100 of times greater then it had been prior to 2000.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby StarvingLion » Mon 16 Apr 2018, 13:57:49

NZ has been permabankrupt since the mid 1980's.

Look at the idiotic comments, LOL:

https://www.quora.com/Did-New-Zealand-d ... bankruptcy

"And a genuine currency crisis occurred. Later the Government floated the currency and so these circumstances are unable to occur now."
Outcast_Searcher is a fraud.
StarvingLion
Permanently Banned

Unread postby StarvingLion » Mon 16 Apr 2018, 20:31:04

Poster DSV speaks the truth...cannot exist or function without [liquid] fuel. NZ is bankrupt and so is everyone else.

http://euanmearns.com/blowout-week-224/#comments

DSV says:
April 15, 2018 at 12:50 pm

As a nation of people that are predominately “Petrolheads” (Everyone outside of Auckland and not a Jaffa) owns at least 1x UTE: 1x car: 1x Quad; 1x ride on mower: 1x boat(bigger the engine the better): 1x old classic car/truck/bike) and for those that don’t they probably have a holiday bach(Retreat) off the grid where they probably have a generator and if they don’t have that they certainly have a chainsaw but anyway the whole country infrastructure probably more than anyone else’s cannot exist or function without fuel.
So NZF(Holding the balance of power in the coalition) and Labour have just rightly relegated themselves to the dustbin.
I was accosted by a late eighty year old lady yesterday who knows I work in the industry

“Idiots” she said “bloody idiots labour have always been the same. I know this, always been the same, anything to cling to power, same when that despicable Helen Clark was in power, just idiots and you and I know you can not cure stupid”

I was a bit taken aback as I wasn’t expecting to be accosted in the first place but could I disagree? Err no. Today has been much the same comments from just about everyone I’ve met. I am hoping this means the current government have blown it. It was after all a cobbling together of minority hopes in an election result only brought about by Nationals own shooting themselves in the foot, with an entitlement attitude to the electorate, a progressive move to the left and social engineering. With Winston Peters (NZF) an old and cynically populist barracker capitalising on that and garnering enough votes from the disenfranchised to hold the reins of power.
Thats now gone, he has blown it. Remember NZ was the first country in the west to recognise that Greenpeace was no longer a charity but a political provocateur and forced them to de-register as a charity for tax status.
So to the actual announcement, if you read the small print this so called ban doesn’t apply to Taranaki region !
That region is the oil industry in NZ right now, so the ban doesn’t apply to that region (which is where I would imagine/know most of the proposed E&P drilling for the next few years is projected to be and hopefully that will not be cancelled). Almost everyone I’ve spoken to knows this, so the sheer hypocrisy of the PMs statement and the governments pronouncements could not be more revealing to the electorate already showing/expressing buyers remorse.
Existing licences for the GSB and projected work are the real concern, for all the promise GSB holds it is all longterm. After the last term of labour government and the subsequent cooling of industry investment we can only hope that the present governments idiocy like that of its idealogical predecessors condemns it to the wilderness but this time for eternity. Labour have been a blight on NZ for as long as they have on the UK, only as modern parlance would have it, the NZ bro’s are a bit more “woke”.
Outcast_Searcher is a fraud.
StarvingLion
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Fri 20 Apr 2018, 13:12:52

ROCKMAN wrote:Smart move by the Kiwi’s: saves those petroleum resources for the future. Of course, does nothing to help reduce climate change since they import much of their fossil fuel consumption.

Yeah, if they were more like Denmark and actually going green as part of this, then I'd be impressed. As it is, I'm as unimpressed with this as I am with the Paris Climate Accords. Can kicking doesn't fundamentally change anything.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby energy investor » Sun 22 Apr 2018, 17:36:22

The ban? This too shall pass. In four years the present polyglot government will change, so not worth worrying about.

NZ going bankrupt? It never happened nor will it ever likely happen. Some folks are too stupid to know what bankruptcy entails. Just amazing to see what is on the internet sometimes...lol.

In 1984 the incoming Labour Government did an "Opening the books" drama and said there was risk of bankruptcy if they didn't take drastic action. Most folk were seemingly impressed, but it was really just a political stunt and something similar but less dramatic is being tried again under this mob.
energy investor
Wood
Wood

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Mon 23 Apr 2018, 12:04:59

Investor – Yes, funny how folks throw the term “bankruptcy” around without defining it. Dozens of US oil companies filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy and came out in very good financial shape: rid themselves of almost $100 billion in debt, hundreds of $millions in interest payments and gained $billions in new credit lines.

So, can a country declare Chapter 11 bankruptcy? A question for the World Court and International Monetary Fund I suppose.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate