Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

News: Nepal fuel crisis!

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Nepal rolls back oil price rise after protests

Unread postby Sys1 » Sun 20 Aug 2006, 14:58:12

http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?NewsID=1048370

Nepal's multi-party government reversed an increase in fuel prices on Sunday, bowing to angry protests that had paralysed the capital for two days, a minister said.

Activists had torched dozens of vehicles, burned tyres, stopped traffic and forced businesses to close in the city following Friday's move to raise prices by up to 38 per cent.

There's a tipping point where people become angry with oil price... Let's figure out where is ours in rich countries!
Sys1
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: Nepal rolls back oil price rise after protests

Unread postby Clouseau2 » Sun 20 Aug 2006, 15:00:57

What's the saying? All societies are 3 meals away from revolution?
Clouseau2
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Free » Sun 20 Aug 2006, 17:08:50

Clouseau2 wrote:What's the saying? All societies are 3 meals away from revolution?

Excellent saying. But make that 3 tankfillings...
"Democracy means the opportunity to be everyone's slave."
Karl Kraus
Free
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby abelardlindsay » Sun 20 Aug 2006, 21:20:35

Clouseau2 wrote:What's the saying? All societies are 3 meals away from revolution?

Said one starving North Korean peasant to another...
abelardlindsay
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby jaws » Mon 21 Aug 2006, 00:40:37

There can't be a revolution without revolutionaries.
jaws
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Nepal: Fuel shortages

Unread postby sirrom » Mon 08 Oct 2007, 07:56:54

link

Fuel shortages are gripping Nepal, with motorists and taxi drivers forced to queue for hours to buy strictly rationed petrol.
The landlocked mountainous country relies on imports for its oil needs. Nepal is currently millions of dollars in debt to its suppliers.
For those who rely on petrol for their survival, day to day life is becoming tougher.
what did YOU do in the eco-war?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayz1SK4KbX4
sirrom
Peat
Peat

Re: Fuel shortage grips Nepal

Unread postby IslandCrow » Mon 08 Oct 2007, 09:40:41

A few days of this and the air in Kathmandu should begin to start clearing up. Like Mexico city, Kathmandu is surrounded by hills that trap the pollution in. Back in the days of the Indian embargo, it took about three days of almost traffic free conditions for the car pollution to start to clear. This was replaced by wood smoke, as kerosene for cooking (coming from India) ran out.
We should teach our children the 4-Rs: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle and Rejoice.
IslandCrow
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby sirrom » Mon 08 Oct 2007, 09:51:57

i prefer the smell of wood smoke to the smell of car exhausts
what did YOU do in the eco-war?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayz1SK4KbX4
sirrom
Peat
Peat

Unread postby IslandCrow » Tue 09 Oct 2007, 03:34:25

sirrom wrote:i prefer the smell of wood smoke to the smell of car exhausts

So do I, but it is heart rending to know that it means that the poor are once more being squeezed.
IslandCrow
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby cube » Tue 09 Oct 2007, 22:24:57

pstarr wrote:In Nepal wood smoke is the smell of deforestation, erosion, siltation, and flooding....
Strange how the end of cheap oil will lead to the greatest environmental catastrophe in human history. Anything that can be burned will be burned. How many environmentalists saw that one coming? :wink:
cube
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby BobWallace » Wed 10 Oct 2007, 01:12:12

Nepal is going to be one of the 'canary' countries (my guess).

In addition to petroleum problems they are going to have major water problems as the glaciers and snow pack disappear.

As dry season surface water disappears more and more people are going to move to the urban centers thus putting more pressure on the already limited facilities there. And the aquifer (at least in the KTM area) is falling rapidly.
BobWallace
Peat
Peat

Unread postby NTBKtrader » Wed 10 Oct 2007, 01:31:07

Nepal is in Africa right.
NTBKtrader
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Zardoz » Wed 10 Oct 2007, 02:42:10

pstarr wrote:...The only thing between us, overshoot, and dieoff is 84 million barrels per day. After that 6.5 billion humans had better have that backup planet all ready to go.

Now you've done it. I had pretty well pushed that into the far corners of my consciousness, and I hadn't thought about it in a while. I don't want to think about it. It'll take me a while to forget about it again.

We're going to strip the biosphere of everything that's flammable.
"Thank you for attending the oil age. We're going to scrape what we can out of these tar pits in Alberta and then shut down the machines and turn out the lights. Goodnight." - seldom_seen
Zardoz
Expert
Expert

Unread postby IslandCrow » Wed 10 Oct 2007, 02:46:46

NTBKtrader wrote:Nepal is in Africa right.

:roll:

It see itself as the yam trapped between the two rocks of China and India.
IslandCrow
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby NTBKtrader » Wed 10 Oct 2007, 04:30:40

IslandCrow wrote:
NTBKtrader wrote:Nepal is in Africa right.

:roll:

It see itself as the yam trapped between the two rocks of China and India.

rock on!
NTBKtrader
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

News: Nepal fuel crisis!

Unread postby M_B_S » Wed 30 Sep 2015, 03:49:00

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/inpict ... 01253.html
Fuel crisis grips Nepal as border crossings close
Nepal faces severe shortages in essential supplies including petrol, diesel, kerosene, aviation fuel and cooking gas.
Omar Havana | 29 Sep 2015 13:06 GMT | Politics, Asia, Nepal, India, Energy

Never forget PEAK OIL!

M_B_S
M_B_S
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: News: Nepal fuel crisis!

Unread postby dolanbaker » Wed 30 Sep 2015, 04:07:01

Nepal, a landlocked country that heavily depends on border trade with India for supplies, is facing severe shortages in essential supplies including petrol, diesel, kerosene, aviation fuel, and cooking gas.

Border crossings between Nepal and India have essentially been closed due to what the Nepali government is calling a blockade by the Indian government. India, however, denies the blockade and argues that the disruption in border trade is due to “unrest, protests and demonstrations” in Nepal following the promulgation of a new constitution on September 20.

In order to address the shortages, the Nepali government is only allowing people to drive on alternate days and has asked people to use charcoal and firewood for cooking. Efforts are also underway to reopen trading routes with China, which were blocked by landslides after the devastating earthquake that hit Nepal on April 25.

Politicians acting like arseholes, something that causes more shortages than peak oil will ever do.
At least with resource depletion, it's a slow decline that can be managed. It's the rapid cutting off of supply caused by political or natural disasters that really cause chaos and possible collapse.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: News: Nepal fuel crisis!

Unread postby Subjectivist » Wed 30 Sep 2015, 11:41:17

dolanbaker wrote:
Nepal, a landlocked country that heavily depends on border trade with India for supplies, is facing severe shortages in essential supplies including petrol, diesel, kerosene, aviation fuel, and cooking gas.

Border crossings between Nepal and India have essentially been closed due to what the Nepali government is calling a blockade by the Indian government. India, however, denies the blockade and argues that the disruption in border trade is due to “unrest, protests and demonstrations” in Nepal following the promulgation of a new constitution on September 20.

In order to address the shortages, the Nepali government is only allowing people to drive on alternate days and has asked people to use charcoal and firewood for cooking. Efforts are also underway to reopen trading routes with China, which were blocked by landslides after the devastating earthquake that hit Nepal on April 25.

Politicians acting like arseholes, something that causes more shortages than peak oil will ever do.
At least with resource depletion, it's a slow decline that can be managed. It's the rapid cutting off of supply caused by political or natural disasters that really cause chaos and possible collapse.

I am not so sure about long term, but near term politicians are the biggest factor. The shortages in America in the 73 and 79 periods were as much caused by political speeches and decisions. Panic buying in 73 lead to everyone filling up their cars frequently that lowered the ammount in the gas station tanks, but the same volume still existed, it was just in individual car tanks instead. To prevent that 'problem' the 79 politicians instituted even/odd day rationing that caused massive wait lines but had little other impact.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Next

Return to Asia Discussion