Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

New Political choice - Vote None of the Above

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

"not sure" for president

Unread postby phaster » Tue 31 May 2016, 01:55:56

anyone else feel voters deserve another option, when faced with candidates that are running unopposed or trying to decide between dumb and dumber?

My guess is if voters actually felt their voices were being heard above business as usual politics (on both the left and right), then there would be greater voter participation.

So I'm wondering how hard would it be to get "public" support for something like a 28th "voters participation" amendment (i.e. ratified by three-fourths of the States (38 of 50 States)?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl3sgKj6oTQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXUPDAMc_6o

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/rmbag2/th ... ank-update

Basically I want a ballot that states, along with the list of candidates (like Clinton vs. Trump) there should be an option to vote "not sure" as in the movie "idiocracy" (I would like this option even when a candidate is running unopposed, for council members, judges, the dog catcher, etc.)

basically I'm thinking if "not sure" wins the majority of the votes then the second place winner is sworn into office and not paid or allowed to make any policy, etc. (basically just be a place holder until the next election cycle)

figure after a while, politicians would figure out it would be in their best interest to avoid "not sure" from winning...

truth is,...

www.ThereIsNoPlanet-B.org
phaster
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

New Political choice - Vote None of the Above

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Mon 10 Oct 2016, 03:54:34

Yes, this is a serious proposal, and one that I wish we had in this 2016 election. Here is the formal definition in Wikipedia:

“None Of The Above,” or NOTA for short, also known as “against all” or a “scratch” vote, is a ballot option in some jurisdictions or organizations, designed to allow the voter to indicate disapproval of all of the candidates in a voting system. It is based on the principle that consent requires the ability to withhold consent in an election, just as they can by voting “No” on ballot questions.

Entities that include "None of the Above" on ballots as standard procedure include India ("None of the above"), Greece (λευκό, white, but unrelated to a political party of the similarly sounding name--however, it is symbolic only), the U.S. state of Nevada (None of These Candidates), Ukraine (Проти всіх), Spain (voto en blanco), and Colombia (voto en blanco). Russia had such an option on its ballots (Против всех) until it was abolished in 2006. Bangladesh introduced this option (না ভোট) in 2008. Pakistan introduced this option on ballot papers for the 2013 Pakistan elections, but the Election Commission of Pakistan later rejected it.

When “None of the Above” is listed on a ballot, there is the possibility of NOTA receiving a majority or plurality of the vote, and so "winning" the election. In such a case, a variety of formal procedures may be invoked, including having the office remain vacant, having the office filled by appointment, re-opening nominations or holding another election (in a body operating under parliamentary procedure), or it may have no effect whatsoever, as in India and the US state of Nevada, where the next highest total wins regardless.

In the case of the USA, when no candidate for POTUS receives the plurality of 270 votes in the electoral college, the election is thrown into the House of Representatives for resolution. In fact, this has not happened since 1825, when John Quincy Adams was elected POTUS. The desire would be that a new election be held, with all the candidates in the "None of the Above" election banned from the new ballot, and new ones in place. YES, changes of this nature would require an amendment to the US Constitution. Read all about it:

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/435577/never-trump-never-hillary-maybe-none-above
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: New Political choice - Vote None of the Above

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 10 Oct 2016, 08:24:40

I like it.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby onlooker » Mon 10 Oct 2016, 10:05:30

I like it too. While your at it completely overhaul election financing. Allow the govt. ie. taxpayers to bequeath a set equal amount to all candidates. Make it very cheap to run by allowing free airtime to any and all candidates and basically loosen the restrictions to become a candidate making them more lenient.
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Ibon » Mon 10 Oct 2016, 10:23:44

I can now give birth to a new conspiracy theory. The elite knew that the masses were rumbling about the rigged system so they allowed Donald Trump, this dysfunctional psychopath, to become the anti establishment spokesperson knowing that he would implode and be discredited and by association so would the anti establishment movement against the rigged system. In this way the rigged system remains resilient and can persevere.
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby onlooker » Mon 10 Oct 2016, 10:27:18

Ibon wrote:I can now give birth to a new conspiracy theory. The elite knew that the masses were rumbling about the rigged system so they allowed Donald Trump, this dysfunctional psychopath, to become the anti establishment spokesperson knowing that he would implode and be discredited and by association so would the anti establishment movement against the rigged system. In this way the rigged system remains resilient and can persevere.

Trump certainly does appear to be a dysfunctional psychopath :roll:
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Sixstrings » Mon 10 Oct 2016, 12:47:25

Ibon wrote:I can now give birth to a new conspiracy theory. The elite knew that the masses were rumbling about the rigged system so they allowed Donald Trump, this dysfunctional psychopath, to become the anti establishment spokesperson knowing that he would implode and be discredited and by association so would the anti establishment movement against the rigged system. In this way the rigged system remains resilient and can persevere.

I'll take an optimistic point of view. That our democracy actually always works itself out, usually for the best.

Which doesn't make for a fun thread, but it's what I think. :lol:

Extremes never win the general election, but they can INFLUENCE how the winning centrist candidate winds up governing, and our politics overall, into the next term.

The thing is.. to varying degrees, WE are in fact all the "Establishment," too. It's NOT just "the rich" or "wall street" or the "corporations" (a lot of people work for corporations, for starters).

It's all a big boat, and everyone is in it, and actually the rich matter too and it all just has to balance out (congressmen are supposed to be compromising with each other).

If Clinton wins, my hope would be that there's some real and genuine incremental progress that comes from the Establishment (D and R), the whole "new world order global American led alliance" does not have to close up shop (and just personally I don't even think it's a bad thing, these are the the democracies of the world, that IS "the world order").. it really just all comes down to some very simple policy things, *we just need a little more Canadian and Australian* type policies, it's as simple as that.

The next president and congress ought to raise the minimum wage, and do the maternity leave and childcare plan, do something about college cost reform, and do whatever it is they got to do, to get toward universal healthcare that's also affordable.

R's must stop blocking everything, reflexively.

So, we'll see what happens. If the "Establishment" centrists are smart, hopefully Gary Johnson polling so well, and Green Party doing better than before, and the entire Trump thing, will have taught them a lesson and they'll just finally do some things to make folk happier -- so that their position does not, in fact, entirely crumble and then we get a Hugo Chavez or some such elected, someday.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Tanada » Mon 10 Oct 2016, 13:44:04

onlooker wrote:I like it too. While your at it completely overhaul election financing. Allow the govt. ie. taxpayers to bequeath a set equal amount to all candidates. Make it very cheap to run by allowing free airtime to any and all candidates and basically loosen the restrictions to become a candidate making them more lenient.

Do you realize that politicians already get a major discount on political ads in both Radio and TV formats? This badly damages the profit margins of those businesses already every election year. If you extend that to cover all broadcasters without paying them the going rate for advertising you are putting the cost of politics squarely on those two industries instead of equitably on the persons seeking office.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby jedrider » Mon 10 Oct 2016, 14:40:14

Just vote third party. I don't see the difference to NOTA. Figure out whether you are in the libertarian mold or the liberal, tree-hugging, mold and vote accordingly and let the pieces fall where they may.

If I lived in a true swing state, I would reconsider that option. But, say California gave a huge vote to the Green Party and Trump won here. Well, that would send a HUGE message to the TPTB.
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby onlooker » Mon 10 Oct 2016, 14:42:43

Tanada. I think we are way past the time of half measures and tepid reforms. Our corrupt political system and the threats to the continued well being of all people require and demand wholesale changes and reforms. My suggestions were in fact mild compared to what really needs to be done. The Radio and TV industries need to do their part in servicing the needs of the masses. Entertainment and Ad revenue are now counterproductive to any semblance or mustering of social awareness, cohesion and unity of action. We need to elect or position leaders who truly will lead and set the tone for any kind of resilience and adaptation we can develop to deal with the grave threats faced by all humanity. I am sorry to sound extreme in my reply but I simply feel that mediocrity is no longer an acceptable response to our grave overshoot consequences already here and those yet to come.
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 11 Oct 2016, 12:55:49

Onlooker. 1+
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Return to North America Discussion