Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Miocene Anthropocene Future

Re: Miocene Anthropocene Future

Unread postby Subjectivist » Wed 08 Jul 2020, 11:38:40

Ibon wrote:
Subjectivist wrote:Many days lately I just wake up wishing the rapid climate shift would happen so we can move on to adaptation. As long as they keep talking about limiting change they are delaying the necessary adaptation. Nobody is going to close the thousands of coal burning power stations in the time necessary to prevent the change. Pretending they will just delays facing reality!

Your sentiment is shared almost universally by all who feel entrapped by the inertia that wont budge. And so this impulse to wish to burn the house down and have a renaissance rise from the ashes of those who come out on the other end.

There is a biblical narrative to this wish. Some great flood or fire or plague or war that cleanses the masses who have gone astray, the survivors to once again yield under the fold of a merciful god.

I entertain this narrative and find myself willing to yield to this merciful god, an imperfect and not all knowing god who has to study a bit more about ecology before unleashing his new and revised commandments.

One of the first commands God gave Adam was to tend his garden and protect it. That is the root of my environmental beliefs and what I see as humanities greatest failure.

NKJV-Gen:2-15 wrote:Then the LORD God took the man and put him in the garden of Eden to tend and keep it.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby jawagord » Wed 08 Jul 2020, 15:07:32

REAL Green wrote:
jawagord wrote:Seems to be some confusion here Orly, looks like a lot of record crop production again in 2020? Maybe instead of wallowing in bogus NCA predictions from 2014 we should look at the actual crop reports?

Ah, you are being a bit prejudiced aren't you. Where are the reports that show decline? LOL. My reference stands going forward. If you like you can cherry pick your numbers and feel safe. Jaw, have you ever raised anything let alone farmed? I doubt it. If you had then you would see all these optimistic projections for crop productivity going up are not legit even with a stable climate. Add in the things I referenced and there are some serious food issues ahead. When will these happen? That is difficult to tell but the facts are that food production is stalling out not the other way around. The forecast are it needs to do something like double by 2050 to accommodate all the new people and the increased affluence of places like Asia. BTW, so it was a good wheat year. There is a lot more to global food production than wheat. OH, Jaw, tell me how the oceans are doing. That was not even mentioned in my reference but there the news is horrible.

When it comes to crop reports there’s a whole cherry tree of good news to pick from, but doomers don’t want to see or admit the truth, which is crop yields continue to trend upwards because farmers are constantly improving crop yields by using better seed varieties, fertilizers, farming techniques, it’s called the green revolution and it continues. I grew up in a farming community, my grandparents were farmers, my aunts and uncles were mostly farmers, my brother-in-law’s were farmers, some of my cousins are still farmers so while I’m an engineer I’ve spent some time on the farm. If the world has a food problem it’s not with growing food, it’s with food affordability according to World Hunger. Now why are you trying to switch the conversation to oceans? It tells me you are giving up on the farming debate as your doomer scenario is not supported by the facts that crop production keeps increasing so you deflect to another topic with an anecdotal oceans statement. LOL

Does the world produce enough food to feed everyone?

The world produces enough food to feed everyone. For the world as a whole, per capita caloric availability and food diversity (the variety of food groups in a diet) have increased between the 1960s and 2011 (FAO, 2017). This growth in food availability, along with improved access to food, helped reduce the percentage of chronically undernourished people in lower-middle-income countries from about 30 percent in the 1990-92 to about 13 percent two decades later (FAO, 2017). A principal problem is that many people in the world still do not have sufficient income to purchase (or land to grow) enough food or access nutritious food. This is an element of “food security”. The FAO defines four dimensions of food security, all of which must be fulfilled simultaneously, for food security to exist. The four dimensions are: 1) physical availability of food, 2) economic and physical access to food, 3) food utilization, and 4) the stability of those other dimensions over time.

https://www.worldhunger.org/world-hunge ... tatistics/
Don't deny the peak!
jawagord
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby REAL Green » Wed 08 Jul 2020, 15:25:23

jawagord wrote:When it comes to crop reports there’s a whole cherry tree of good news to pick from, but doomers don’t want to see or admit the truth, which is crop yields continue to trend upwards because farmers are constantly improving crop yields by using better seed varieties, fertilizers, farming techniques, it’s called the green revolution and it continues.

Cherry tree of good news? LOL. Far from it. You are habituated to techno optimistic reports that market this feel good feeling. You just need to look around at the planet, web of life and people and see your thinking is very flawed. I am not saying we should leave your world I am saying we need to be honest about it. It is not that you are dishonest you just believe in something too much that is fundamentally wrong. Your agricultural "improving" is coming at a cost and clearly improvements are in diminishing returns of both affordability and the physics. I am engaged in permaculture rotational grazing and I did a 4 year stink with a 1000 acres corn and soy farm 20 years ago. I was under the delusional impression I could green up industrial farming and do an investment. How wrong I was. I'm still honest with the fact that the lives of billions depends on industrial farming and also with consumerism. My point is to be honest about this tap and find ways to reduce it not glorify it like you are doing.
realgreenadaptation.blog
REAL Green
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: The coming Civil War Pt. 2

Unread postby Ibon » Thu 24 Sep 2020, 21:03:17

Remember when your mama told you that you can't run away from your problems?

She was wrong.... do you have the 21st century American civil war blues?

Want to bail?

Come on down!

https://www.sovereignman.com/internatio ... tch-28918/
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby asg70 » Fri 25 Sep 2020, 19:41:28

Ibon wrote:Come on down!

Global warming is such that if I move it's going to be towards the poles, not the equator.

BOLD PREDICTIONS
-Billions are on the verge of starvation as the lockdown continues. (yoshua, 5/20/20)

HALL OF SHAME:
-Short welched on a bet and should be shunned.
-Frequent-flyers should not cry crocodile-tears over climate-change.
asg70
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Tanada » Fri 25 Sep 2020, 20:38:44

asg70 wrote:

Global warming is such that if I move it's going to be towards the poles, not the equator.

I considered Alaska but concluded somewhere in the mountain tropics like Columbia or Uganda or New Guinea would probably be a better choice as the paleo record shows all of them were abundant with life no matter if it was greenhouse conditions or major glaciation. Being in the mountains where the prevailing winds bring rain on a predictable schedule and with tropical sun at moderate to high altitude these places have always been abodes of life since green plants colonized the surface.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 25 Sep 2020, 20:51:22

Tanada wrote:
asg70 wrote:

I considered Alaska but concluded somewhere in the mountain tropics like Columbia or Uganda or New Guinea would probably be a better choice as the paleo record shows all of them were abundant with life no matter if it was greenhouse conditions or major glaciation. Being in the mountains where the prevailing winds bring rain on a predictable schedule and with tropical sun at moderate to high altitude these places have always been abodes of life since green plants colonized the surface.

Belize also fits that description. English speaking, low population compared to historic times, about 10% of the population is Amish/Mennonite.

Personally I made the effort to formalize my Canadian citizenship and we have reestablished family ties so that should the stuff happen we have a place to go where we are well known, not just dropping in From outer space looking for a handout. But I had a significant leg up in this endeavor many folks do not.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Fri 25 Sep 2020, 21:00:11

Tanada wrote:
asg70 wrote:

An interesting thought process you have there. At the height of the ice ages mega fauna grazed right up to the edge of the ice sheets in summer and one must assume that during the hottest and driest periods everything not a total desert supported all the species that our current specimens descended from. So where do you go in an uncertain future? At my age I can't see moving as I am in a moderate climate location and it would take a lot of change to make it uninhabitable within my expected lifetime.
For a younger man with family they might want to move to a location that has predictably sufficient rain fall and the ability to move from one elevation to another to fit the climate actually received without a major move. A hideaway high in the hills with some cropland down in the foothills and another piece down on the plains, all within fifty miles from near to far. I see some of the ultra rich are buying up large chunks of the West around the foot hills of the Rocky mountains. Perhaps they are on to something.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Ibon » Sat 26 Sep 2020, 09:33:50

Tanada wrote:
asg70 wrote:

This line of inquiry derails a bit the topic of this thread but if any of you are like me that might not be a bad idea.... but maybe these posts of more livable areas when climate change advances could be moved to an appropriate thread.

Tropical latitudes are very stable. One of the theories about why the biodiversity is so much greater in tropical latitudes is exactly because of how stable the climate remains through time as more northern latitudes pulse between ice sheets cleaning the slate and more warm periods. Fossil pollen in ancient lake beds of the Amazon basin indicate the main fluctuation is with rain fall, ice age periods correspond with more grass pollen, warmer periods with pollen from more broad leaf plants.

Highland areas of the tropics will of course go through changes. The geology of the Talamanca mountains where we are located shows evidence of glaciation during the last ice age in the highest regions in bordering Costa RIca.

Highland areas are like islands. the most extensive areas are in the Andes region of South America. From far western Venezuela through Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia down into Chile has extensive highland valleys. These are some of the most endangered habitats today because of how productive these regions are for agriculture and they have been largely exploited. When you go into a flower shop in North America more than likely the flowers you purchase were grown in Colombia above 2500m (8000+ feet)

The asset at our location at 6500 feet is that the Pacific ocean is only 40 miles away. This distance from the coast to the highest region can be considered local and the advantage is the diveristy of agriculture you can grow within the elevation gradient that is so close together. Rice, sugar cane, coconuts, cashews on the coast, slightly inland bananas, plantain and sweet, papayas, pineapples. Another 1000 feet up you get yucca, casava, cacao, mangoes, rambutans, mangosteens, guanabana, guavas, breadfruit, lowland avocados. Another 1000 feet you start being in the productive grasslands for dairy farms, growing yams, corn, kidney beans. And then you reach above 4000 feet and you get into the temperate vegetable zone of broccoli, onions, potatoes, cabbage, carrots, strawberries, raspberries, green beans, etc. This zone extends up to our location where you can grow coffee along with all these temperate vegetables and high elevation Hass type avocados. And above all of this is cloud forest up to 10,000 feet. Paramo grasslands are represented only on the highest ridge tops unlike the Andes which has extensive Paramo all the way up to snow line. Paramo is like tropical alpine habitat,

Whatever variation climate change delivers you got this close by elevation gradient to shift crops accordingly.

The rose family stone crop is the only tree food crop missing; peaches, apples, pears, plums, apricots, nectarines. THe lack of cold winter prevents these tree crops from thriving. You can grow a pear or apple tree as we have but you just get a few anemic fruit that are inferior quality.

Temperate range year round is constant at our location Low of 58-60, highs around 80. Perfect temperature. No insulation required for building and no energy needed to heat dwellings.

Our 8KW pelton wheel delivers all the energy we need even when we have 25 guests maxed out. We do use propane for cooking and a few of our hot water tanks are propane.

I would say the biggest risk of severe climate change is the migration of large populations from coastal areas invading the highlands. Think coastal Guayaquil Ecuador with 3 million inhabitants putting the highland areas under pressure with mass migration.

For those in the USA that do not feel adventurous to relocate in another country my number one recommendation? Duluth Minnesota.
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 26 Sep 2020, 13:37:23

OK, I will bite, why Deluth?
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Ibon » Sat 26 Sep 2020, 13:52:38

Newfie wrote:OK, I will bite, why Deluth?

Low population density urban area with all the urban amenities. unlike Seattle not over populated. No clusterfuck happening there. Affordable housing. Port city accessible with boat tranportation. Northern midwest, close to breadbasket of the lower midwest. Low crime rate, northern latitude, close to boreal forest and recreational outdoor activities.

The disadvantage is that climate change is not this slow gradual warming. There is tremendous energy added to the biosphere with the CO2 driven warming which causes weather to act in extremes in the more northern latitudes. Extreme rain, snow, cold and hot temperatures. Warm fronts one day 75 degrees, jet streams dip down the next day and it plunges to the teens......

These kind of warped weather extremes is why I would not choose northern latitudes. Tropical latitudes less likely to whip you around with these extreme weather gyrations.
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 26 Sep 2020, 18:23:03

Yup, why I like maritime climates. Moderation.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Subjectivist » Sat 26 Sep 2020, 21:28:57

Personally I am biased to Toledo, possibly because I was born here. However it has a couple significant things going for it, like the Maumee River which is quite long and flows well year around even when there is a drought. It is also the westernmost Ohio port on Lake Erie which despite being the smallest of the Great Lakes by volume is a substantial body of water. Sure in the current climate the weather is cold in the winter and muggy in the summer but planning for the global warming future means we will still be wet and the warmth will be year around. The part of the midwest that turned to desert in the last warm spell is the part over by Nebraska and Montana. This part stayed lush green forest. Illinois and Iowa kind of switched from forest like they have today to more grassland, but even then plenty of water to support life.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby REAL Green » Sun 27 Sep 2020, 05:51:13

Subjectivist wrote:but planning for the global warming future means we will still be wet and the warmth will be year around. The part of the midwest that turned to desert in the last warm spell is the part over by Nebraska and Montana. This part stayed lush green forest. Illinois and Iowa kind of switched from forest like they have today to more grassland, but even then plenty of water to support life.

I think it is too early to tell where climate change is going with long term regional climate. I see instability growing making things difficult all around all times of the year. All the extremes of climate being made more extreme. That is what I am seeing although this could be interspersed with long periods of stable nice weather depending on the time of the year. It is my opinion the status quo of industrial agriculture of the stable Holocene that allow humans to grow to occupy the planet will be gone in 20 years.

I have a polyculture of pasture in multi species rotational grazing system of cattle and goats. I believe goats will be increasingly important food source going forward as climate destabilizes. Having multi species allows a better grazing balance by utilizing a broad spectrum of forage. Having the multi species rotational system manages pasture better and uses less water. This is a future strategy that will have to be replicated in other AG regimes. High production industrial AG is going to come under increasing pressure because it requires stability. Here in the Ozarks big cattle operations go with grass monocultures with high stocking rates making them very susceptible to drought. A polyculture of pasture and multispecies is the best way to mitigate drought. With the increased heat there will surely be drought and heat stress in the summer even if the rest of the year is wetter.
realgreenadaptation.blog
REAL Green
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Falling out of Eden Garden

Unread postby Whitefang » Sun 24 Jan 2021, 07:27:55

Subjectivist wrote:
Ibon wrote:
Subjectivist wrote:Many days lately I just wake up wishing the rapid climate shift would happen so we can move on to adaptation. As long as they keep talking about limiting change they are delaying the necessary adaptation. Nobody is going to close the thousands of coal burning power stations in the time necessary to prevent the change. Pretending they will just delays facing reality!

Your sentiment is shared almost universally by all who feel entrapped by the inertia that wont budge. And so this impulse to wish to burn the house down and have a renaissance rise from the ashes of those who come out on the other end.

There is a biblical narrative to this wish. Some great flood or fire or plague or war that cleanses the masses who have gone astray, the survivors to once again yield under the fold of a merciful god.

I entertain this narrative and find myself willing to yield to this merciful god, an imperfect and not all knowing god who has to study a bit more about ecology before unleashing his new and revised commandments.

One of the first commands God gave Adam was to tend his garden and protect it. That is the root of my environmental beliefs and what I see as humanities greatest failure.

NKJV-Gen:2-15 wrote:Then the LORD God took the man and put him in the garden of Eden to tend and keep it.

Yup, Cid's answer that the methane bomb would some day/year detonate when our species started large scale agriculture....around 6 or 8 millenia ago when humanity prevented the move to a new glacier maximum and instead extended the interglacial we call holocene.

The earth has been in an interglacial period known as the Holocene for around 11,700 years,[43] and an article in Nature in 2004 argues that it might be most analogous to a previous interglacial that lasted 28,000 years.[44] Predicted changes in orbital forcing suggest that the next glacial period would begin at least 50,000 years from now. Moreover, anthropogenic forcing from increased greenhouse gases is estimated to potentially outweigh the orbital forcing of the Milankovitch cycles for hundreds of thousand of years.[45][5][4]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_age

Maybe gas passing domesticated chicken and others helped preventing the cool down and brought us to making complex machines, cities as heat engines that sped up the collapse of the subsea permafrost.
Anyway, looking for those articles on why humans started working the land at the cost of nature and habitat.
Newfie had linkies on some post but cannot remember where.........maybe it were D.

Shutting coal/oil burning will crack our dirty shield, global dimming no more. A 1 degree spike within months. The corona madness should have already been making some impact by slowing world economy.
Best to burn baby burn and keep our infrastructure intact until the very end which will be biblical no doubt.
Best to prepare to make a run for those hills, cities are bound for disaster.
Our management knows this, they are in a hurry for their great reset.
5G smart cities not operational yet, yet they already gearing up for total control, techno-crazy, transhumanists.
Whitefang
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Fall from grace

Unread postby Whitefang » Sun 24 Jan 2021, 08:02:08

It looks like we are not in for an extended interglacial bit a full blown rapid abrupt change to an environment without ice.
One degree a year for about 5 years, a pause, then another shift to a new stable plateau.
Feedback upon feedback upon feedback.

I see no future for mammals and other complex life as we know it by reason.
It feels like reason is the reason we got into this predicament.
Maybe we should make every effort to step outside and look out for the spirit, our spirit.

Our human management team hints at 2030 for their prisonplanet to be functional, everyone enslaved, tied up in cities.
Flu/economy is not the crisis, water issue is, therefore food and the rest.
We are running out of habitat.

Only sane to enjoy today, be greatfull for time left to spend with loved ones.
To try last as long as possible, geared for survival, to seek something real in us, relink and reconnect.
To see how far you can go with your spirit intact.
For fun and out of curiousity.
Whitefang
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby aadbrd » Sun 24 Jan 2021, 11:22:55

Ibon wrote:Tropical latitudes less likely to whip you around with these extreme weather gyrations.

But then there's this:

https://www.natureworldnews.com/article ... rs-say.htm

if the rain belt creeps southward over the Atlantic Ocean and the eastern Pacific Ocean, it will result in tremendous drought stress in Central America
aadbrd
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Whitefang » Sun 24 Jan 2021, 15:34:15

https://phys.org/news/2020-10-lockdown- ... tures.html

The different gases and aerosols we emit either contribute to global heating or global dimming. So determining how lockdown affected global temperatures is a matter of finding out which effect dominated.

We ran a series of computer model simulations of the atmosphere during lockdown, versus what we would have expected if the pandemic had never happened. We fed into the model the best estimates of how much emissions of SO₂, black carbon and NOₓ fell from industry, transport and aircraft for the period between mid-February and mid-June.

Our model simulations showed that reductions of these different pollutants only had a small and temporary influence on the climate, overall, in part due to their opposing effects. This may sound like a dull conclusion, but it has important lessons.

Instead of doing models and statistics, why not measure and compare?

https://paulbeckwith.net/

The numbers are out, and they are not pretty. Global average temperature in 2020 was 1.25C above the turn-of-the-previous-century average (1880-1910), thus set a new record for the warmest year.
Relative to the year 1750, you need to add 0.3C for the baseline shift, so 2020 was actually 1.55C warmer than 1750, which is termed the real pre-industrial, and the Paris climate agreement in 2015 had numerous countries promise to strive to work together to keep this global average rise, relative to preindustrial (1750) below 2C, with aspirations to stay below 1.5C.

Thus, 2020 blew past the 1.5C number, hitting 1.55C.

What is amazing about this is that is happened in the year of the coronavirus industrial shutdowns, in which global greenhouse gas emissions from burning fossil fuels decreased by about 7%.
Also, 2020 was a weak La Niña year. The effect of this ENSO (El Niño Southern Oscillation) La Niña depressed global temperatures by an estimated 0.1C (my estimate). This, if 2020 was ENSO neutral, the global average temperature would have hit 1.65C.

Even worse, if 2020 had been a strong El Niño year, add 0.2C to that temperature (by my estimate). This would have resulted in global average temperature hitting 1.85C higher than 2050, by my best estimate. This will happen, no doubt, in a few short years when we have another powerful El Niño similar to that in 2015-2016 which caused us to have the record setting temperature year that was just broken in 2020.

https://arctic-news.blogspot.com/2020/0 ... ossed.html

It's time to stop denying how precarious the situation is.

Remember the Paris Agreement? In 2015, politicians pledged to hold the global temperature rise to well below 2°C above pre-industrial levels and pledged they would try and limit the temperature rise to 1.5°C above pre-industrial levels. Well, an analysis by Sam Carana shows that it was already more than 1.5°C above pre-industrial when the Paris Agreement was reached.

In Sam Carana's analysis, the year 1750 is used as the baseline for pre-industrial. The analysis shows that we meanwhile have also crossed the 2°C threshold (in February 2020) and that the temperature rise looks set to rapidly drive humans and eventually most if not all species on Earth into extinction.

https://www.natureworldnews.com/article ... C3%B1a.htm

Due to climate change, 2020 may be among the hottest years ever recorded despite the occurrence of La Niña. According to experts, the climate crisis is exacerbating natural events and is causing more frequent extreme weather.
Whitefang
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Tanada » Wed 27 Jan 2021, 09:34:23

Whitefang wrote:https://phys.org/news/2020-10-lockdown-effect-global-temperatures.html

The different gases and aerosols we emit either contribute to global heating or global dimming. So determining how lockdown affected global temperatures is a matter of finding out which effect dominated.

We ran a series of computer model simulations of the atmosphere during lockdown, versus what we would have expected if the pandemic had never happened. We fed into the model the best estimates of how much emissions of SO₂, black carbon and NOₓ fell from industry, transport and aircraft for the period between mid-February and mid-June.

Our model simulations showed that reductions of these different pollutants only had a small and temporary influence on the climate, overall, in part due to their opposing effects. This may sound like a dull conclusion, but it has important lessons.

Instead of doing models and statistics, why not measure and compare?

https://paulbeckwith.net/

The numbers are out, and they are not pretty. Global average temperature in 2020 was 1.25C above the turn-of-the-previous-century average (1880-1910), thus set a new record for the warmest year.
Relative to the year 1750, you need to add 0.3C for the baseline shift, so 2020 was actually 1.55C warmer than 1750, which is termed the real pre-industrial, and the Paris climate agreement in 2015 had numerous countries promise to strive to work together to keep this global average rise, relative to preindustrial (1750) below 2C, with aspirations to stay below 1.5C.

Thus, 2020 blew past the 1.5C number, hitting 1.55C.

What is amazing about this is that is happened in the year of the coronavirus industrial shutdowns, in which global greenhouse gas emissions from burning fossil fuels decreased by about 7%.
Also, 2020 was a weak La Niña year. The effect of this ENSO (El Niño Southern Oscillation) La Niña depressed global temperatures by an estimated 0.1C (my estimate). This, if 2020 was ENSO neutral, the global average temperature would have hit 1.65C.

Even worse, if 2020 had been a strong El Niño year, add 0.2C to that temperature (by my estimate). This would have resulted in global average temperature hitting 1.85C higher than 2050, by my best estimate. This will happen, no doubt, in a few short years when we have another powerful El Niño similar to that in 2015-2016 which caused us to have the record setting temperature year that was just broken in 2020.

https://arctic-news.blogspot.com/2020/0 ... ossed.html

It's time to stop denying how precarious the situation is.

Remember the Paris Agreement? In 2015, politicians pledged to hold the global temperature rise to well below 2°C above pre-industrial levels and pledged they would try and limit the temperature rise to 1.5°C above pre-industrial levels. Well, an analysis by Sam Carana shows that it was already more than 1.5°C above pre-industrial when the Paris Agreement was reached.

In Sam Carana's analysis, the year 1750 is used as the baseline for pre-industrial. The analysis shows that we meanwhile have also crossed the 2°C threshold (in February 2020) and that the temperature rise looks set to rapidly drive humans and eventually most if not all species on Earth into extinction.

https://www.natureworldnews.com/article ... C3%B1a.htm

Due to climate change, 2020 may be among the hottest years ever recorded despite the occurrence of La Niña. According to experts, the climate crisis is exacerbating natural events and is causing more frequent extreme weather.

An often missed and skipped over factor in man made effects are passenger jet contrails. In daylight high altitude contrails act as a reflector bouncing some of the incoming sunlight back to space before it ever reached ground level, while at night those same contrails act as reflectors in the other direction bouncing infra red back to the surface and enhancing global warming. The second effect is far weaker and mostly swamped by greenhouse gasses that do the same thing at night.

Net effect, more sunlight reaches the surface to warm things up in daylight absent the contrails we have been putting up pretty thick in the last 50 years of jet travel. Sure we burned less carbon net because of the Covid lockdowns, but there was no slow down in warming because the same lockdown took away one of the biggest man made dimming effects.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Peak_Yeast » Wed 27 Jan 2021, 18:57:13

Concerning the end of this interglacial:

Without having sufficient time to investigate the claims - this video claims that we are not going to see any interglacial soon - simply because of the combination of milankovich and other cycles that appears to have caused the many previous glacial/interglacial periods.

(Is an Ice Age Coming? | Space Time | PBS Digital Studios)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztninkgZ0ws

Seems convincing to me.. What do you people say?
"If democracy is the least bad form of government - then why dont we try it for real?"
Peak_Yeast
Lignite
Lignite

PreviousNext

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate