Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

MH370

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: MH370

Unread postby Subjectivist » Wed 13 May 2015, 12:35:17

After more than a year of searching they have not found the plane, but they did find a sunken ship.

Last Updated May 13, 2015 9:32 AM EDT

SYDNEY -- Search crews hunting for Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 in the desolate ocean waters off western Australia have discovered an old shipwreck, officials said Wednesday.

The unexpected finding came when sonar equipment on board a search vessel scouring the Indian Ocean for the missing jetliner detected a cluster of objects nearly 2.5 miles below the surface, according to a statement from the Australian Transport Safety Bureau, which is heading up the hunt.

Although officials suspected the objects were probably not from the Boeing 777, which vanished on March 8, 2014, they decided to take a closer look just in case. A second ship sent down an autonomous underwater vehicle - essentially, an unmanned sub - which revealed a large number of small objects and several larger items, the biggest 20 feet long.

Debris, including an anchor, from an apparent shipwreck discovered during the search for missing Malaysian Airlines Flight 370.

AUSTRALIAN TRANSPORTATION SAFETY BUREAU
The debris field appeared to be man-made but wasn't typical of an aircraft. Still, crews sent down a camera to be sure.

Analysis of the photos revealed this week that the debris came from a previously uncharted shipwreck. Marine archaeologists are now examining the photos, which include an image of an anchor and what appear to be lumps of coal, to see whether they can identify the ship. It was not immediately clear when the sonar first spotted the wreckage.

"It's a fascinating find, but it's not what we're looking for," Peter Foley, the ATSB's Director of the Operational Search for Flight 370, said in a statement. "We're not pausing in the search for MH370, in fact the vessels have already moved on to continue the mission."

Michael McCarthy, a senior maritime archaeologist at the West Australian Maritime Museum, said the wreck was of a cargo ship built in the mid-to-late 19th century, and could be one of hundreds lost during voyages across the Indian Ocean.

"We've got quite a lot of stories about ships that sank in the Indian Ocean mid-voyage and you would be struggling to tell which is which unless you had a complete catalogue of all the ones lost," he said.

Experts had predicted Flight 370 search crews would probably stumble across the wreckage of some ships, given that they once sank regularly due to old age or bad weather, McCarthy said. But it would be difficult to identify this particular wreck without getting a closer look and knowing which ports it was traveling between, he said.

Debris from an apparent shipwreck discovered during the search for missing Malaysian Airlines Flight 370. Investigators say white sea stars can be seen on some of the debris while theblack objects are believed to be lumps of coal.

AUSTRALIAN TRANSPORTATION SAFETY BUREAU
"Being a fairly common type of cargo ship from the 19th century with no obvious cargo remains there, I doubt that anyone would pay the enormous cost of going down to look at it," McCarthy said.

Last month, officials announced that they would expand the search area for Flight 370 by another 23,000 square miles if the plane is not found by the end of May. Crews have now covered 75 percent of the original search area and are working in the southern portion of the expanded search zone to take advantage of the last dregs of decent weather before winter sets in.

One of the four search vessels, which has the autonomous underwater vehicle on board, has withdrawn from the hunt because the worsening weather has made it too difficult for crews to launch the sub.

Foley said all is not lost with the find.

"Obviously, we're disappointed that it wasn't the aircraft, but we were always realistic about the likelihood. And this event has really demonstrated that the systems, people and the equipment involved in the search are working well," Foley said. "It's shown that if there's a debris field in the search area, we'll find it."

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/malaysia-ai ... an-indian/
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Subjectivist » Wed 29 Jul 2015, 18:37:22

Part of the aircraft may have washed ashore in the South Indian Ocean.
French investigators are examining a piece of debris discovered on an island in the Indian Ocean Wednesday, with much speculation that the wreckage could belong to the missing Malaysia Airlines plane which

The debris, approximately six feet in length, was found on the island of La Reunion and appeared to be an airplane wing, the AFP reported. It was found by individuals cleaning the beach.

“It was covered in shells, so one would say it had been in the water a long time,” one person told the AFP.

A U.S. official said that the debris seen in a photo belonged to the same aircraft as MH370.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/07 ... ian-ocean/
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 30 Jul 2015, 07:37:11

Sitting in a hotel lobby, the news is ablaze with speculation.

They had a pilot association representative who seemed pretty cut and dry. Boeing can tell conclusively if it is from that plane and probably already know based on serial numbers.

It has been something like 500 days, not a big trick to float that far in that amount of time.

Maybe it does help to explain why the sonar search has been unsuccessful, the wreckage is so small and so widely dispersed as to be very difficult to locate.

My uninformed guess is that this disassociated bit of wreckage suggests general disintegration of the wing on impact. Not a soft landing.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Strummer » Fri 31 Jul 2015, 15:46:24

Newfie wrote:My uninformed guess is that this disassociated bit of wreckage suggests general disintegration of the wing on impact. Not a soft landing.

It's been suggested on other forums that the clean separation of this part suggests a "controlled" landing on the water surface. The flaperons are pulled down when the aircraft is being slowed down, so they make first abrupt contact with the water and break away (as do the engines). The body of the plane then sinks to the bottom of the ocean in one or more bigger pieces, which explains the lack fo wreckage. The flaperons are specifically designed to be lightweight, so they stay afloat.
Strummer
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Subjectivist » Fri 31 Jul 2015, 15:55:33

Strummer wrote:
Newfie wrote:My uninformed guess is that this disassociated bit of wreckage suggests general disintegration of the wing on impact. Not a soft landing.

It's been suggested on other forums that the clean separation of this part suggests a "controlled" landing on the water surface. The flaperons are pulled down when the aircraft is being slowed down, so they make first abrupt contact with the water and break away. The body of the plane then sinks to the bottom of the ocean in one or more bigger pieces, which explains the lack fo wreckage.

My understanding based on speculation in the media about the crew doing murder/suicide goes like this. The crew puts the plane in a steep bank and depressurized the cabin knocking out the other people onboard from lack of oxygen. Then they set the autopilot to maintain course altitude and speed and take off their O2 mask so they also pass out and gradually die. The autopilot keeps the plane flying straight and level at altitude until it runs out of fuel. The dead 777 then keeps gliding under auto pilot until it hits the surface another hundred or more miles down range from where the fuel runs out.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sat 01 Aug 2015, 13:00:08

Subjectivist wrote:
Strummer wrote:

It's been suggested on other forums that the clean separation of this part suggests a "controlled" landing on the water surface. The flaperons are pulled down when the aircraft is being slowed down, so they make first abrupt contact with the water and break away. The body of the plane then sinks to the bottom of the ocean in one or more bigger pieces, which explains the lack fo wreckage.

My understanding based on speculation in the media about the crew doing murder/suicide goes like this. The crew puts the plane in a steep bank and depressurized the cabin knocking out the other people onboard from lack of oxygen. Then they set the autopilot to maintain course altitude and speed and take off their O2 mask so they also pass out and gradually die. The autopilot keeps the plane flying straight and level at altitude until it runs out of fuel. The dead 777 then keeps gliding under auto pilot until it hits the surface another hundred or more miles down range from where the fuel runs out.

And ANY hard water landing causes such parts to break away -- i.e. because anything goes seriously wrong with the plane, like what occurs in virtually all major big jet air crashes.

I know many of the folks on sites like this love conspiracies, but isn't it more than a bit of a stretch to imply that since (it looks like) a crash occurred, let's start saying it helps confirm such a conspiracy?
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 01 Aug 2015, 17:52:24

D. B. Cooper!
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sat 01 Aug 2015, 18:04:51

Newfie wrote:D. B. Cooper!

So the conspiracy folks are not paranoid if some (unidentified) bad guy with a remotely similar M.O. once existed? OK. LOL
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 02 Aug 2015, 07:32:59

Gas,
Read through it last night.
Thanks.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sun 02 Aug 2015, 07:56:48

I'll bet there are some computers somewhere churning on all the weather , tide and surface current data available to find possible beginning points that end up on that island.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Sun 02 Aug 2015, 15:25:45

vtsnowedin wrote:I'll bet there are some computers somewhere churning on all the weather , tide and surface current data available to find possible beginning points that end up on that island.

http://www.adrift.org.au/map?lat=-37.2& ... n=Jan#what
Under "Showing where the plastic ends up" you can select "backwards in time".
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Tanada » Thu 06 Aug 2015, 13:45:38

Malaysian officials say the debris is positively from MH 370, meanwhile the French officials are saying they need to run more tests to confirm.

“They want to continue with additional tests. We respect their decision,” Liow said of the French. “From our first observation, the color tone and all maintenance records that we have, we know. Our records show that it’s the same as MH370.”

He said there are “many other technical details that I do not have to reveal” but that confirm the part is from Flight 370.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/08 ... rom-mh370/
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Tanada » Mon 01 Aug 2016, 13:39:34

Two news stories about the MH370 disappearance, much more at links under each quote.

Last week, officials from Malaysia, Australia and China announced that the underwater search will be suspended once the current search area has been completely scoured. Crews have fewer than 10,000 square kilometers (3,900 square miles) left to scan of the 120,000-square-kilometer (46,300-square-mile) search area, and should finish their sweep of the region by the end of the year.

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/2129433 ... ean-route/

Malaysia Airlines Flight 370, flying from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing on March 8, 2014, disappeared less than an hour into its overnight journey. Something went seriously wrong aboard the plane, which veered wildly off course and flew in the wrong direction for hours before running out of fuel. Search boats have plied the suspected crash zone — a remote stretch of the southern Indian Ocean — for two years looking for wreckage.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opin ... story.html
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 01 Aug 2016, 15:44:40

I believe that, statistically, the most likely cause is pilot suicide. Although in this case I suspect the bugger jumped and let the plane go on autopilot.

Another mass killing by pilot. Maybe we should ban airplanes?
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Tanada » Mon 01 Aug 2016, 18:12:26

Newfie wrote:I believe that, statistically, the most likely cause is pilot suicide. Although in this case I suspect the bugger jumped and let the plane go on autopilot.

Another mass killing by pilot. Maybe we should ban airplanes?

I strongly doubt the pilot left the plane. By simply turning down the cabin pressure gradually he would cause the passengers and crew to doze off from oxygen starvation without even realizing what was happening. Especially easy to do on an overnight flight when most of the passengers are tired and ready to nap during the flight. By slowly turning down the pressure and paying attention to his own feeling of sleepiness he could knock out just about everyone, put on his O2 mask for a few minutes while he set the auto pilot to fly as far out in the middle of nowhere as possible, then take his mask off and just fall asleep himself before dying from oxygen starvation after a moderately short peaceful sleep.

Depressurization used to be known as the silent killer by military pilots in World War II when aircraft got good enough to fly above 15,000 feet routinely. Above that level you need supplemental oxygen, or you just drift away. Passenger airliners keep the cabin area pressurized to 8,000 feet, but by resetting the controls the pilot can change that to lower and lower pressure or even turn it off completely.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 01 Aug 2016, 20:54:26

I actually experienced that in controlled conditions at a Navy depressurization chamber. You know what is gonna happen, you wait for it to happen, nothing happens, until they put the mask on your face and look at your handwriting. Totally lethal, must be a pleasant way to die.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby careinke » Wed 03 Aug 2016, 04:47:37

Newfie wrote:I actually experienced that in controlled conditions at a Navy depressurization chamber. You know what is gonna happen, you wait for it to happen, nothing happens, until they put the mask on your face and look at your handwriting. Totally lethal, must be a pleasant way to die.

I too have been through altitude chamber training a few times in the Air Force. Your right, it would be a pleasant way to go. The purpose of the training is to identify your personal reactions to lack of oxygen so you can recognize it. In my case for instance, my color vision goes first, then I get tunnel vision until I eventually pass out. At the same time my skin feels warm and comfortable and a certain well being flows over me. Yes not a bad way to go...

Once, on an AWACS mission, we had a rapid decompression. It was nothing like you see in the movies. We were at thirty thousand feet and the first sign something was wrong was two loud pops in my ears followed quickly by a fog forming in the cabin. Next came the totally unnecessary decompression alarm which the engineer quickly silenced thank god (I wonder if commercial jets have decompression alarms, I would think so). By this time most of us have got our masks on.

I knew one of our female officers was in the latrine, but I planned to give her at least 20 seconds before I sent someone after her. In about 15 seconds she opens the door with a mask on, and her flight suit still down, gives a thumbs up and immediately slams the door shut again. 8O

In the mean time, one of our maintenance guys, who is hopping a ride, and has not had altitude training, decides he can help, takes off his mask and heads towards the cockpit. Those of us lucky enough to see it, watched him face plant in about three steps. He took some ribbing after one of my crewmembers put a mask on him.

After landing, the flight surgeon comes on board and tell us we are grounded for the next 72 hours, and briefs us on possible decompression symptoms. Unfortunately later that night two of my crewmembers had to be transported to the altitude chamber for therapy. They did recover fully.

Man, that was such a different life, than the one I'm enjoying now.
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Wed 03 Aug 2016, 05:53:15

Keith_McClary wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:I'll bet there are some computers somewhere churning on all the weather , tide and surface current data available to find possible beginning points that end up on that island.

http://www.adrift.org.au/map?lat=-37.2& ... n=Jan#what
Under "Showing where the plastic ends up" you can select "backwards in time".

Drift modelling usefulness falls away with time, once a semi submerged object joins a major global current, chaos theory kicks in & it could pop up almost anywhere.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

PreviousNext

Return to Asia Discussion