Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Re: Meat Eaters Are Killing The Planet

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sun 20 Jan 2019, 14:44:57

dohboi wrote:Thanks for that one, Gas.

Further:

Time to cut virtually all meat from our diets, scientists say

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/16/health/n ... index.html

People who have children "are killing the planet".

People who consume anything that anywhere in their creation causes CO2 "are killing the planet".

Keep pointing fingers. That will solve everything. :roll:
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 20 Jan 2019, 14:52:15

How about

“PEOPLE I DONT LIKE ARE KILLING THE PLANET”

Or

“PEOPLE NOT LIKE ME ARE KILLING THE PLANET”
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Cog » Sun 20 Jan 2019, 14:58:40

Newfie wrote:How about

“PEOPLE I DONT LIKE ARE KILLING THE PLANET”

Or

“PEOPLE NOT LIKE ME ARE KILLING THE PLANET”

LOL Exactly
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby dohboi » Sun 20 Jan 2019, 20:03:55

For the record, most people indeed killing the planet. But some are doing so in a particularly 'effective' and unnecessary way, and I am going to continue to call them out on it, as long as free speech and uncomfortable truth telling is still allowed on this site.

As Truman said to a fan who exhorted him to 'Give 'em hell, Harry!'

I just tell the truth about them, and they think it's Hell.

:) :) :)
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby careinke » Mon 21 Jan 2019, 14:20:28

dohboi wrote:For the record, most people indeed killing the planet. But some are doing so in a particularly 'effective' and unnecessary way, and I am going to continue to call them out on it, as long as free speech and uncomfortable truth telling is still allowed on this site.

As Truman said to a fan who exhorted him to 'Give 'em hell, Harry!'

I just tell the truth about them, and they think it's Hell.

:) :) :)

Just out of curiosity, have you ever read "The Omnivores Dilemma"? I think the last section of the book, is more the type of future I would like to see.
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 21 Jan 2019, 14:54:20

Yup, great book.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby dohboi » Mon 21 Jan 2019, 19:12:12

Yep, read it and taught it. It strikes me how far removed the section on vegetarianism/veganism is from the rest of the book in tone and in intellectual integrity. He contradicts there valid points he makes elsewhere in the book. The arguments are nearly all basically rubbish, just based on how poorly they are argued.

Very strange.

He has since become much more of a supporter of vegan and near vegan diets, being one of the main proponents of 'plant based' diets.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby dohboi » Mon 28 Jan 2019, 08:23:43

More on the recent study about the “planetary health diet”

https://www.vox.com/2019/1/23/18185446/ ... commission

The way we eat could doom us as a species.

Here’s a new diet designed to save us.

...eat mostly vegetables, grains, legumes, and nuts, and limit red meat consumption to just one serving per week...

... there’s a clear message for wealthier countries where meat consumption is high: We will need to cut way back, as much as 90 percent...

And here: https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/20 ... or-you-too

...producing beef uses 20 times the land and emits 20 times the emissions as producing beans, per gram of protein. By one estimate, if people in the U.S. switched from beef to beans, this alone could get the U.S. more than halfway to the greenhouse gas reductions goals set during the Obama administration.

"Many environmental systems and processes are pushed beyond safe boundaries by food production..."...

...processed meats — such as bacon, hot dogs and deli meats — are linked to a higher risk of heart disease and Type 2 diabetes...
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Mon 28 Jan 2019, 16:25:13

I believe these are entirely mistaken premises, because they are based on the assumption that the further we diviate from "nature" - which to many if not most people, seems to be the state of the planet were humans never present - the worse off we are.

Being a Humanist and a proponent of Humanity in all it's diversity, I say anything that promotes Human Happiness is a good thing. It makes me happy to eat bacon, sausages, deli meats, red meats, poultry, seafood, etc. etc. I am managing the Type 2 diabetes via exercise and by limiting calorie intake. Also with no less than four oral T2 diabetes drugs.

I would propose that we have a standard for civilized behavior that says in effect "Don't tell me how to behave." I don't care whether it is The Pope or dohboi doing the telling.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Yonnipun » Wed 30 Jan 2019, 11:28:51

KaiserJeep wrote: It makes me happy to eat bacon, sausages, deli meats, red meats, poultry, seafood, etc. etc. I am managing the Type 2 diabetes via exercise and by limiting calorie intake. Also with no less than four oral T2 diabetes drugs.

The foods you mentioned have neglible effect on blood sugar. Carbs are the ones that keep the bood sugar rollercoaster going on. I am sure that as a diabetic you already know all this stuff but there are many people out there who are misquided by pharmacy.
Yonnipun
Peat
Peat

Unread postby dohboi » Thu 31 Jan 2019, 08:43:10

"Following a vegan diet may help prevent or control type 2 diabetes"

https://www.everydayhealth.com/type-2-d ... -diabetes/

"How I Reversed My Diabetes and Stopped All Medications With a Plant-Based Diet"

https://www.forksoverknives.com/how-i-r ... s.336htuIM

"eating a vegan diet could help prevent diabetes"

https://www.ontrackdiabetes.com/type-2- ... lood-sugar

"The only prospective study measuring rates of diabetes in vegans, the Adventist Health Study 2, found them to have a 60% less chance of developing the disease "

https://veganhealth.org/type-2-diabetes-in-vegans/
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Thu 31 Jan 2019, 10:38:39

Critters taste good. Evolution adapted us to eat them. It's natural and if by eating critters we can feed fewer humans and impact the planet less, that's a good thing.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Yonnipun » Sat 02 Feb 2019, 07:02:04

dohboi wrote:"Following a vegan diet may help prevent or control type 2 diabetes"

https://www.everydayhealth.com/type-2-d ... -diabetes/

"How I Reversed My Diabetes and Stopped All Medications With a Plant-Based Diet"

https://www.forksoverknives.com/how-i-r ... s.336htuIM

"eating a vegan diet could help prevent diabetes"

https://www.ontrackdiabetes.com/type-2- ... lood-sugar

"The only prospective study measuring rates of diabetes in vegans, the Adventist Health Study 2, found them to have a 60% less chance of developing the disease "

https://veganhealth.org/type-2-diabetes-in-vegans/

I have my glycometer and that is all I need. Extremely low carb eating is the only way a type 1 diabetic could live a long and happy life without complications.
Yonnipun
Peat
Peat

Unread postby dohboi » Sat 02 Feb 2019, 09:14:39

It's 100% possible to eat a low-carb diet as a vegan. And the multiple articles cited suggest that this is your best path.

But people tend not to like science when it tells them things they don't want to hear, or that go against their world view.

That's one thing climate science denialists/pseudo-skeptics have in common with vegan-haters.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Yonnipun » Sat 02 Feb 2019, 09:40:11

dohboi wrote:It's 100% possible to eat a low-carb diet as a vegan

Low carb diet for type 1 diabetic is following:

6 grams for breakfast
12 grams for dinner
12 for supper.

For comparison - one slice of bread is about 15 grams of carb.
Yonnipun
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Cog » Sat 02 Feb 2019, 11:04:07

Low carb diets are a lot easier to achievd with high fat and high protein meat diets. You tend not to be as hungry and you can eat a whole lot of low carb veggies like the dark green leafy veggies for fiber content. Also almonds among the nut group.

But regardless how you do it, obesity in itself is one of the largest factors in type 2 diabetes development.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Ibon » Sat 02 Feb 2019, 11:26:29

Cog wrote: obesity in itself is one of the largest factors in type 2 diabetes development.

All of the rural agrarian farm workers in my neighborhood burn through thousands of calories a day doing their work. My wife, daughter and I do the same but to a much less degree. Nobody here is obese.

I chuckle to myself often over the American obsession with food and which diet makes you fat. All of this obsession while sitting in front of digital devices or driving their cars. It seems like everyone forgets the number one reason for obesity in the US.

Nobody moves anymore.
Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Yonnipun » Sat 02 Feb 2019, 12:02:44

Ibon wrote:
Cog wrote: obesity in itself is one of the largest factors in type 2 diabetes development.

All of the rural agrarian farm workers in my neighborhood burn through thousands of calories a day doing their work. My wife, daughter and I do the same but to a much less degree. Nobody here is obese.

I chuckle to myself often over the American obsession with food and which diet makes you fat. All of this obsession while sitting in front of digital devices or driving their cars. It seems like everyone forgets the number one reason for obesity in the US.

Nobody moves anymore.

I agree. But the problem for those who push only pencils is that walking or running is not enough to burn excess calories from carbs. Physical work all day around on the other hand does. Also the problems with carb is that day are addictive. For example if I have 5 muffins I am going to eat em all in a short time. I just can not stop with one or two. And the next day I already want 6 of them and so on. Eventually I get sick with a flue or smth and I end up fasting to get better. It always goes like it. They compromise immune system. Every time I bing on carbs I end up ill. I live in cold climate and and it does not take much to get a flu. If you live in sunny place then it is not a problem so much. For example I went to holiday last week to Egypt and the whole week was basically binging on carbs three times a day. I was fine but I knew as soon as I reach home I am going to pay the price.
Yonnipun
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Cog » Sat 02 Feb 2019, 14:29:23

You know the old Lay's potato chip commercials? No one can just eat one. Yeah the food industry knows full well about the addictive nature of carbs and capitalize on it. Which is why, you should shop the perimeter of the grocery store where the meat and fresh veggies are, and leave those middle aisles out of your shopping.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

PreviousNext

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate