Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

LITHIUM IS THE NEW OIL

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Re: LITHIUM IS THE NEW OIL

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sat 15 Jan 2022, 23:39:58

How the US fell behind in the global lithium market

how-the-us-fell-way-behind-in-lithium-white-gold-for-evs

The US used to be the world's leader in lithium production....but now the US only produces a few percent of the world's lithium

A big part of the reason is US environmental laws.....its almost impossible to get a new mine permitted in the USA due to complex permit process and what seem like unending attacks by environmental lawsuits. Several new US lithium mines are being planned, but they are already running into obstructions from environmentalists.

The demand for lithium to power EVs is growing rapidly, and its kinda ironic to see environmentalists blocking production of US lithium that is needed for EVs to save the planet ...... but thats what's going in the US right now.

Most lithium mines are in China or Australia....there is only one in the USA largely because of tough environmental laws and never ending law suits in the USA.

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby suxs » Sun 16 Jan 2022, 04:44:39

I admire Planty for remaining true to its political roots by claiming those damn environmental rules and regulations are all that's preventing the US from being a world powerhouse. not true, oh planted one. China is the world's largest producer by virtue of the fact China's rare earth reserves are by a multiple of around 30 times larger than the US.

You'll love this:

Rare earths mining in the US now happens only at California’s Mountain Pass mine. In February 2021, President Joe Biden signed an executive order aimed at reviewing shortcomings in America’s domestic supply chains for rare earths, medical devices, computer chips and other critical resources. The next month, the US Department of Energy announced a US$30 million initiative to research and secure domestic supply chains for rare earths and battery metals such as cobalt and lithium.
Rare Earth Investing News
suxs
Peat
Peat

Unread postby theluckycountry » Sun 16 Jan 2022, 06:04:50

vtsnowedin wrote:Not a chance of that. I will let these three ride for at least five years if not ten.

So you don't have any sell rules? They are not houses you know, they are stocks, and anything can happen to stocks, anything at all in this wacky market. I don't dabble in stocks, only in Australian government bonds, and of course gold and silver.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sun 16 Jan 2022, 10:32:05

theluckycountry wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:Not a chance of that. I will let these three ride for at least five years if not ten.

So you don't have any sell rules? They are not houses you know, they are stocks, and anything can happen to stocks, anything at all in this wacky market. I don't dabble in stocks, only in Australian government bonds, and of course gold and silver.

My main rule is "to Buy and HOLD!!"
I have no rule to sell a stock because of price fluctuations.
When I do need cash from the account I try to pick both losers and sellers that have shown me some negative information about their prospects after I bought them. Even then I have several I have sold for needed cash that I will likely repurchase when funds are available.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby evilgenius » Sun 16 Jan 2022, 11:23:38

vtsnowedin wrote:
theluckycountry wrote:

My main rule is "to Buy and HOLD!!"
I have no rule to sell a stock because of price fluctuations.
When I do need cash from the account I try to pick both losers and sellers that have shown me some negative information about their prospects after I bought them. Even then I have several I have sold for needed cash that I will likely repurchase when funds are available.

I buy a stock because of a thesis. My thesis could be wrong, so I diversify.

I wonder about what I would do in the face of some sort of market crash that really pared value? I think I would stick to my guns. But it depends, how much of a haircut are we talking?

I can absorb a twenty percent pull back. I can't take an eighty percent one. There's a lot of room between those. Most people are probably not aware that even good stocks can move around that much, twenty percent or more, easily, in a year.

If I am truly holding, and my thesis is sound enough that I should understand everything will come back, then only fear can make me sell. Fear could make me engage in market timing, as well. I think people like to call it greed that does that, but it would probably be fear.

Because I tell you what, market timing is a thing of pride, where we think we can pull it off. Uncertainty is much more prevalent than whatever it is we thought we saw. Market timing is like gambling, far closer to it than buy and hold. You can get scared into it, by some troll who comes along and tells you to be afraid.

That said, I do engage in some forms of market timing. I own both bank and energy stocks that I figure should go up with inflation. Energy should gain over the next year, before rising rates tamp down prices. The Fed has to work gradually, so I expect a barrel of oil to go over $100. Banks should go up until the rate rising cycles ends, three or four years from now. Both of those efforts are diversified, in that I am not pinning all of my hopes for these moves on one stock in a sector. I am also not putting an entire paycheck in after any one target. You have to gauge your risk, and not enter into too much of it. You always have to be thinking things may not go your way. Just because you have pride does not mean uncertainty will respect you, though.

I say, make sure your thesis is sound. Revisit the reasons for it, from time to time. Argue with yourself anew, every once in while, about the future. But do not make all of your financial decisions based upon fear. That's just a recipe for being jealous of all of those others who weren't afraid, and offering a litany of excuses instead of changing your attitude.
evilgenius
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Previous

Return to Energy Technology