Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Lifestyles and peak oil

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: Lifestyles and peak oil

Unread postby rerere » Mon 24 Jan 2005, 12:53:14

Anonymous wrote:Capitalism is not suited to bring coordinated change on a global scale in order to solve global problems (like global warming). That's why it is problematic, since our lives depend more and more on such global dynamics, which are beyond the individual's control.

I don't see any system that can replace capitalism, though. While we simply have no choice. We must change this system. The only option is a temporary increase in state power

Markets must have 100% knowledge and 100% transparency for capitolism to work.

State power brings distorted markets. Be it sugar or steel or energy or whatever.

You can have your increased state power when the flow of capitol is 100% transparent - deal?
rerere
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Ludi » Mon 24 Jan 2005, 13:23:33

I don't see any system that can replace capitalism, though. While we simply have no choice. We must change this system. The only option is a temporary increase in state power, or the strengthening of a kind of global super government which can tackle these problems (but, this implies an infringement on individual, corporate and even national rights -- and that's why some want to destroy all kinds of supra-national political power).

What should we do, knowing that we must do something in order to preserve humanity?

Interdependence and the tribal model. There's a great deal of thought and information about these issues out there for those willing to look and think.

"The memes that made us the rulers of the world are lethal, but they didn't have a lethal effect ten thousand years ago--or five thousand or two thousand. They were at work, turning us into the rulers of the world, but their deadliness didn't become evident until this century, when they began turning us into the devastators of the world."

"Beyond Civilization"- Daniel Quinn

http://www.ishmael.com/welcome.cfm

http://www.dharma-haven.org/five-havens/gaviotas.htm

http://www.permacultureactivist.net/
Ludi

Re: Lifestyles and peak oil

Unread postby Guest » Mon 24 Jan 2005, 14:12:38

rerere wrote:Markets must have 100% knowledge and 100% transparency for capitolism to work.

How bizarre, my professors of political economy all taught me the opposite, namely that the basic engine of capitalism is precisely based on a (gradient and differential) lack of transparency: those who know more at a precise moment, beat those who know less, in the market. This is the way speculative markets work. 100% transparency would make capitalism theoretically impossible.

Unread postby Guest » Mon 24 Jan 2005, 14:15:45

To Ludi, thanks for those links. But we need realistic alternatives - the problems are gigantic, the socio-economic systems cannot coordinate their effort to solve global problems. I'm not sure whether shrinking the system (e.g. consuming less, quantitatively) solves global problems. For this requires voluntarism, and as long as you are within a capitalist system, voluntarism makes no sense. Even stepping out of capitalist (if that were possible at all), requires voluntarism, and people are not willing to step out in great numbers.

Unread postby MikeB » Mon 24 Jan 2005, 14:17:35

Monsieur Guest:

We must change this system.

Ain't. :)

Gonna. :(

Happen. :?

You can change, though.
MikeB
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Ludi » Mon 24 Jan 2005, 16:31:03

But we need realistic alternatives

These alternatives are entirely reasonable and proven. All you have to do is do it. If you say to every alternative "that's not realistic" then nothing will happen. I can speak for myself and many others; we'll leave you to your search for alternatives, meanwhile we will implement ours. :)
Ludi

Unread postby Guest » Mon 24 Jan 2005, 18:40:03

Ludi wrote:All you have to do is do it.

Sometimes I wish I had your kind of certainty and courage. But I'm a doubter. An endless analyzer. There's simply too much contradictory information out there. I'm paralyzed. :(

Unread postby katkinkate » Tue 25 Jan 2005, 08:02:30

The only one you can change is yourself. It will need a worldwide change of attitude and behaviour at the individual level. It 'could' be driven by a top down strategy by co-operation from world governments, but that is not likely to work well or quickly enough.

It has to be from the collective decisions of a critical mass of individuals forcing the change into the market and into the attention of the rest of society. Make sure your neighbours and family know why and maybe you'll convert a few to join you. The governments and businesses will only change their behaviour when it becomes obvious that society is moving away from them.
Kind regards, Katkinkate

"The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops,
but the cultivation and perfection of human beings."
Masanobu Fukuoka
katkinkate
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Return to Peak Oil Discussion