Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Lean times ahead: Preparing for an energy-constrained future

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Unread postby vox_mundi » Wed 19 Nov 2014, 15:39:27

Some time this century, the era of cheap and abundant energy will end, and Western industrial civilization will likely begin a long, slow descent toward a resource-limited future characterized by "involuntary simplicity."

That's the picture painted by University of Michigan environmental psychologist Raymond De Young, who argues in a new paper that behavioral scientists should begin now to prepare the public for this "energy descent," which he defines as a tightening of energy supplies accompanied by "a persistent step-wise downshift" to a new, reduced-consumption normal.

By the end of the century, day-to-day activities will need to consume nearly an order of magnitude less energy and materials than currently used, said De Young, an associate professor of conservation behavior at U-M's School of Natural Resources and Environment.

"Frankly, it may not be possible for members of Western societies to maintain anything close to a contemporary life pattern while also living within these new biophysical limits," he said. By biophysical limits, De Young means the ability of nature—including the Earth's ecosystems and its geological formations—to provide resources and services to humanity.

Having ignored many opportunities for voluntary simplicity, industrial society may now face involuntary simplicity, he said.

"This is not at all what the popular folk mythology of resource apocalypse predicts," he said. "It lacks Hollywood's sudden and catastrophic collapse motif. The change is more likely to emerge slowly over many decades—a persistent step-wise downshift to a new normal."

The job for behavioral scientists will be "to help people cope with the realization that everyday life may soon differ substantially from conventional expectations and to help them envision an alternative to their current relationship with resources," De Young said.

Full Text Journal Article: Some behavioral aspects of energy descent: how a biophysical psychology might help people transition through the lean times ahead Front. Psychol., 03 November 2014 | doi: 10.3389/fpsyg.2014.01255
... Overall, despite a century of technological progress that provided noteworthy efficiency gains and innovations in design, policy and practice, there has been not the expected decrease but an absolute increase in aggregate natural resource consumption. Society may be experiencing the unwelcome consequences of having used its technological ingenuity to attempt limitless growth on a finite planet.

... in a transition, the responses likely would need to be maintained and periodically updated over a lengthy period. Unfortunately, society has little familiarity with the long-drawn-out planning and management needed to respond well to biophysical limits.

... Stated plainly, helping society to thrive while living within ecological limits should no longer be treated as just another application area of the behavioral sciences. Responding to biophysical constraints has become an existential issue, global in scope, local in impact. Whatever social good can be achieved through the application of empirical discoveries and clinical practices, that good may remain unrealized should society falter in its response to energy descent. Thus, developing a biophysical psychology is an essential pre-condition for attaining the other worthy goals of all social scientists and practitioners.

... Behavior change under conditions of urgency, great environmental uncertainty and grave stakes might be advised to start with small steps. As anthropologist and political scientist Scott (1998, p. 345) advises with respect to interventions for economic development, “Prefer wherever possible to take a small step, stand back, observe, and then plan the next small move.

Not sure we have the luxury of time. Seems to be a disciple of Greer (slow-crash). Reference list is a 'Who's Who' of the Peak Oil crowd (Astyk, Baker, Gail, Greer, Hall, Heinberg, Bardi, et.al.).
vox_mundi
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Lean times ahead: Preparing for an energy-constrained fu

Unread postby Timo » Wed 19 Nov 2014, 15:53:07

This is complete BS, funded entirely by the Democratic Party who want us all to return to the Stone Age. What will save us all is more fracking, more drilling in National Parks and school playgrounds, lowering the minimum wage so that everyone can have a job, eliminating health care so that there will be less competition for those jobs, and wages can be reduced even more. We need to impeach the President so that our Republican Utopia can finally be realized. Everything's fine. Energy is endless. Natural resources are things that are made in a factory downtown. Don't pay attention to these scare tactics by the Democrats. Watch more Fox News, and everything will be just fine. Trust me. I'm a Republican. When has a Republican every lied to you?
Timo

Unread postby vox_mundi » Wed 19 Nov 2014, 16:04:34

Shhh! Your going to 'harsh the mellow' of the unicorn.
vox_mundi
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby aspera » Wed 19 Nov 2014, 18:51:17

Certainly a slow emergency approach. Follows Greer's idea that we seem stuck between the modern folk mythologies of progress and apocalypse (and that each of those almost needs the other). It seems to also follow the four visions in Holmgren's Future Scenarios and emphasizes the energy descent scenario.

But I don't think that last piece Vox quoted captures that part of the paper (i.e., the quote: “Prefer wherever possible to take a small step, stand back, observe, and then plan the next small move.”). Since later in that section, after presenting a small experiments is the idea that: "It is noteworthy that nothing in these guidelines restricts small experiments to taking only small steps or to a slow discovery process."

And, in reply to the sense that we might not have enough time (which is easy to feel deep in the gut these days), there's that nice quote from Donella Meadows, et al.
Oceans rise, empires fall. - Apocalypse Lullaby, Wailin' Jennys.
Plant a garden. Soon.
aspera
Peat
Peat

Unread postby vox_mundi » Wed 19 Nov 2014, 21:33:05

After reading the paper - a couple questions...

Where's the five stages of grief?
The only ones making it to transition-land have to pass the "acceptance" square and most everybody's stuck in denial.

Also, not word one about the ultimate problem - Too Many People.
Nature's due to take care of that one, soon. If there's not enough fresh water to get us past the next 10-15 years, then things get real simple, real quick.

Anyway, the psychology of Peak Oil is like the workday in the Men in Black movie (37hrs)

... Give it a few months. You'll get used to it... or you'll have a psychotic episode.
vox_mundi
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby aspera » Thu 20 Nov 2014, 14:44:53

I always think of the "stages of grief" in terms of a medical thermometer. Sometimes a useful tool for figuring out how the patient is doing, but not a treatment modality. So I'm not surprised that they weren't covered, the paper is more about how to help people cope. Plus, if I'm reading it correctly, they're exploring the embedded benefits that might be in an inevitable and involuntary simplification.

Since they seem to be following the long drawn-out (century long) descent notion of Greer, Kunstler and others, it's not surprising that they don't cover population. Greer recently had a thought-piece on his blog about how we could get a massive drop in population, over that timespan, with a barely personally perceptible increase in the yearly death rate. So, IF they are right on the time span for descent, THEN a population collapse isn't the only way to get an order-of-magnitude fewer people.
Plant a garden. Soon.
aspera
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Timo » Thu 20 Nov 2014, 15:15:25

Aspera, we don't have 100 years to wait and find out if that's the case. Population, water, AGW, food, and religion are all blending into the perfect storm that will bring us to that event horizon much sooner than people realize.

Good luck, and thanks for all the fish.
Timo

Unread postby aspera » Thu 20 Nov 2014, 16:09:45

Well, Timo, that is one perspective. You may be right.
Greer, Kunstler, and others have another perspective. They may be right.

I'm trying to figure out what I (and family and neighbors and small community) might do to make things a bit better than they would be otherwise.

So I'm with you on one thing: It's no time to wait and see what happens; It's time to start responding.
And I appreciate perspectives (like the paper) that help us "keep our heads" while stressed.

Blame no one. Expect no help. Do something.
Plant a garden. Soon.
aspera
Peat
Peat

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Thu 20 Nov 2014, 16:28:15

The usual PO.com response, mostly random with nobody on-topic.

To prepare for an energy-constrained future, I will be:

1) Retiring soon (May 31, 2015), and selling my 100% paid-for Silicon Valley home, hopefully before the current real estate bubble bursts.

2) Moving to the Mid-West, buying a few acres, and building a new energy-efficient Passive House. The off-the-grid home will have solar power, batteries, and perhaps even a wind turbine. Pus some backup heat, either wood or fossil-fuel.

3) Living semi-independently with a well, a septic system, a compost pile, a vegetable patch, a few chickens, and a bunch of canning jars. I plan to be a productive member of a small rural community.

4) Enjoying my first grand-kids, twins due in early June, 2015. Just found out last week.

By the way, I am a believer in slow collapse as well. Things are going to get worse and worse for a long, long time. But one does not have to feel worse and worse as a result, there is a satisfaction in planning and succeeding with those plans.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby aspera » Thu 20 Nov 2014, 16:31:30

RE: pstarr:
Guess that we could doubt what they write. Assume ulterior motives. Even assume such motives of everyone here on the site. But whenever I step back for a moment, I'm not sure how that perspective helps me to prepare/respond.

I keep my deceit detectors up and running, but turn down their sensitivity for most conversations; I find it a better strategy to select the folks I converse with more carefully than to doubt what the people I converse with are saying.

I will agree that Kunstler writes about dual scenarios. He has both his long emergency notion, and he has his Monday blog that, for years now, imagines industrial system collapse before the (next) holiday.

My own take-away is this: likely to see collapse of industrial society, its many infrastructures and institutions (including, JUST for instance, this internet we're using, the postal service, "delivery" of any kind, of anything, anywhere) in the middle-range of years (e.g., decade(s)+). Life as you and I know it will end (but what was it Ursula Le Guin said? - Life as she knew it ended many times.) That makes for a future much, much more uncertain than I have known or was led to expect. As a Baysian, that's my starting point. What comes next? Well, a bit of that depends on what we do next.

Also: Paper got covered in National Geographics online: http://energyblog.nationalgeographic.co ... ted-energy
Plant a garden. Soon.
aspera
Peat
Peat

Unread postby aspera » Thu 20 Nov 2014, 16:57:59

Re: K-J
1) No plans to retire, but phasing out slowly (blessed with a job that allows that and I might keep doing till I drop).
2) In the Mid-west, in cooperative house, on a few acres, with a forest. In a county with a vibrant, local food provisioning movement that's deep and wide.
3) Small town - so we're dependent on fossil fueled infrastructure. But got the rest.
4) A grandson, nearby, who we're teaching (for lack of a better word) every homesteading skill that we can figure out ourselves. Congratulations on yours (and expect the normal "how could they bring someone into this mess" response from the forum. But you now know that feeling inside that makes all this reskilling seem important...)

I'd only add, while we're doing all this reskilling, we work HARD at keeping a positive affective tone. We volunteer in our community where it makes us smile and laugh. We work with others who tell heartwarming stories. We seek out people who can be honest about the mess we're in, but can see the opportunities to do things that matter.

Someone here will call us deluded and in denial. I find that we sleep better at night and have more energy and vitality the next day to do something useful. (So, maybe denial and delusion can sometimes be an adaptive trait?)
Plant a garden. Soon.
aspera
Peat
Peat

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Thu 20 Nov 2014, 17:22:25

Which quote you took entirely out of context. The context was an aside from the main thread, where Monte and I were discussing evolution as usual, versus evolution after the PO crash, when the world is full of cannibal humans hunting other humans for dinner.

The wife and I have been fundraisers for a variety of causes over the years. She cooks and I purchse ingredients and deliver food and dinner rolls for a local shelter for battered wives and children, for example. Also we raised money to supplement the basketball team and science and photography curriculums at my kid's former High School.

I know you are still resentful that I called you on the redwood burls thread. But I still believe that burl handicrafts are creating a demand for burls that are still damaging old growth trees. Nor have you accepted my premise that the best use of that unique micro-climate you live in is to boot out the people and spend a few thousand years growing redwood trees. Let us agree to disagree on those topics - and space habitats, of course.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby aspera » Thu 20 Nov 2014, 17:23:18

Well, there are times when the notion that "everybody not part of your extended family or community is trying to kill you and eat you" seems about on target.

We're investing in community so that, when the time comes that we personally need community in order that we can survive, it's still there.

Likewise, in the industrial consumerist society, it sure does feel like I and my family are being harvested.
Plant a garden. Soon.
aspera
Peat
Peat

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Thu 20 Nov 2014, 17:55:29

I know how you feel. At age 63, by the time Friday afternoon gets here, I feel bent, spindled, and mutilated.

To those of you younger folks, that is a quote from the dinosaur days when one used to get punched so-called "IBM cards" with bills in the snail mail, which were supposed to be returned with your payment. They all displayed the caution that if "bent, spindled, or mutilated", credit for your payment might be delayed. Indeed, it made the difference between somebody handling the mail who was just bright enough to feed a check into a slot, and a higher skilled person who could read, make a decision, and type in your payment amount on a keypad.

This was back in the days of computing when a roomful of computer, which was actually stupider than a digital watch, needed a staff of human attendants to tend to it's needs. Yet somehow we survived those days, and made it to today where your car and appliances nag you by voice, and other computers call you and annoy you on the telephone.

KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Mesuge » Fri 21 Nov 2014, 08:14:59

Kaiser, are your aware of the simple fact, that the german passivehaus is basically the posterchild of hitech contraption, not that desirable for the longterm, perhaps even midterm outlook we face. Well, you can replace the oem air recuperation unit by diy version of lower efficiency, but you certainly can't locally replace the little computers and sensors, tiny electric motors and pumps, double-triple glazed gas filled windows, and most importantely all these vapour barrier fabrics around, bellow and on top of the house..

Certainly you can bet on the rosy future scenario that no repairs or damage will occur in say next 2-4decades, and or that some pocket of industrial countries overseas will still be able to produce these spare/replacement materials and ship them safely into your place somewhere in the heartland if necessary.

It's up to you, I'd not go that route, unless being very rich, i.e. "always" able to relocate and buy new properties willy nilly.

Sorry, there is no free lunch, that's not how this universe works, and the human society due to its short attention span can only provide illusions about that.
Mesuge
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby aspera » Fri 21 Nov 2014, 12:47:16

Re: Mesuge:
Is enough known on the rate of failure on the parts that could be replaced (e.g., sensors, computers, tiny motors, pumps) to allow for kits of replacement parts to be made available? Stocking-up windows and valor barriers might not be doable, but some other parts could be stored.

When our response to possible energy descent ends up using some technological (or just physical) device, we try to pick ones where we can reasonable store some spare parts, imagine local redesign, etc. Or where a failure mode still allows reasonable functionality (using the example of an escalator: with power off it still functions as stairs).
Last edited by aspera on Fri 21 Nov 2014, 13:22:39, edited 1 time in total.
Plant a garden. Soon.
aspera
Peat
Peat

Next

Return to Peak Oil Discussion