Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Lawns are an ecological disaster

Re: Lawns are an ecological disaster

Unread postby Tanada » Mon 04 Jun 2018, 00:06:01

Outcast_Searcher wrote:In my experience, when people in suburbia have a goat:

1). They prefer many shrubs over the grass. To the extent if you're available (as a neighbor in my case), they'll gnaw on your hand if you're not hand feeding them shrubbery, while completely ignoring all the nice grass around them.

That is because Goats are evolved to browse, not graze. If you want grazers get yourself miniature horses or Shetland ponies, not goats. Not only are they easier to keep tame, your neighbors are less likely to pitch a fit over a pony than a goat because of the weird way American culture has evolved.
I should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write, balance accounts, build a wall, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Mon 04 Jun 2018, 09:51:37

Tanada wrote:
Outcast_Searcher wrote:In my experience, when people in suburbia have a goat:

1). They prefer many shrubs over the grass. To the extent if you're available (as a neighbor in my case), they'll gnaw on your hand if you're not hand feeding them shrubbery, while completely ignoring all the nice grass around them.

That is because Goats are evolved to browse, not graze. If you want grazers get yourself miniature horses or Shetland ponies, not goats. Not only are they easier to keep tame, your neighbors are less likely to pitch a fit over a pony than a goat because of the weird way American culture has evolved.

That's interesting, and makes sense (based on where wild goats tend to live). Chickens and goats are accepted in my city's single family dwelling zoned suburbs within a few miles of the city center. (Whether permits are required, I don't know). Horses and ponies, I doubt it. Not being a Lawyer, it's not clear to me, but I've never seen a horse or pony kept in a single family suburban yard in my area.

The stables, etc. I've seen are out in the agricultural zones in my city. The requirements to properly (and ethically) keep a horse look significant to me (which is why I presume paying for a stable for a horse is a significant percentage of the monthly rent for an apartment).

https://realestate.findlaw.com/land-use ... oning.html

Generally, it looks like there are restrictions on keeping livestock, which might well vary a lot by city depending on zoning, how large/crowded it is, etc.

https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/animals-and- ... s/awfact16
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 04 Jun 2018, 15:44:37

Somewhere, Jared Diamond I think, I read humans penchant for lawns is a throwback to our days on the savanah. We like to see the open spaces to assure is no predators are lurking.

Personally I often think of our houses and apartments as caves. Maybe artificial above ground caves. It still very cave like in appearance and function.

We spend something like 90+% of our time in conditioned spaces, not outdoors. So in some ways we are socially more akin to meerkats or prairie dogs than apes. Actually we are pretty close to naked mole rats as we are both highly social colonizers and predominently furless. Eusocial is the term I believe.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby baha » Mon 04 Jun 2018, 18:30:03

Newfie wrote:predominently furless

Newfie, from the pic I remember seeing that doesn't apply to you :lol:
A Solar fuel spill is otherwise known as a sunny day!
The energy density of a tank of FF's doesn't matter if it's empty.
I will see your google and raise you an infinity!

https://monitoringpublic.solaredge.com/solaredge-web/p/kiosk?guid=19844186-d749-40d6-b848-191e899b37db
baha
Solar Advocate
Solar Advocate

Unread postby Rod_Cloutier » Mon 04 Jun 2018, 18:48:10

I've often wondered about what the lawns and public parks will look like after a collapse? Some people will have large garden plots, where other neglected areas will quickly be overgrown with bushes and trees.

In the early days, cutting the grass around a house likely reduced the threat of grass wildfires spreading on to your property and burning your house down. Gradually people got used to the look and it went viral...?
Rod_Cloutier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby careinke » Mon 04 Jun 2018, 19:17:23

Sheep work for lawns.
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 04 Jun 2018, 19:27:50

Rod,
I’ve often thought that highway medians and berms would end up being linear farms. Drainage, irrigation, easy access.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate