Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

It's the End of the World as We Know it

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: It's the End of the World as We Know it

Unread postby onlooker » Thu 27 Apr 2017, 02:18:22

Yeah Squil, we will be able to perpetually defy the laws of Nature.Not (sarcasm)
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby onlooker » Thu 27 Apr 2017, 02:39:53

Not so fast Squil. 10 Reasons to Avoid GMOs
http://responsibletechnology.org/10-rea ... void-gmos/
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby onlooker » Thu 27 Apr 2017, 03:41:03

Squilliam wrote:Sorry I'm kind of conflicted by that. I've seen other evidence that says that GMO's are to the left what climate change is to the right -- I.E. a massive blind-spot from ideology.

Ah, I see as in not wanting to believe they GMO are okay. Well, I think science is still unclear as no real world examples exist of massive artificially induced genetic alteration. However, just basic biological tenets, artificial compounds and substances are treated as foreign invaders by the immune system of organisms as anything that is NOT natural can potentially be harmful to an organism.
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Subjectivist » Thu 27 Apr 2017, 08:03:33

onlooker wrote:
Subjectivist wrote:You are making an unwarrented assumption that the agriculture sector that consumes just 15 percent of petroleum will be left without resources to provide food and capacity to move that food to consumers.

Those are pretty silly assumptions because peaking means less oil, not no oil at all. If fuel gets too expensive for most farmers you can expect rationing, subsidies, or both. Throughout history the elites who failed to feed the masses did not do well, just ask Louis XVI of France.

And what about all FF that the mining and transportation sectors consume Sub?

What about them? Just how much of the total transportation consumption of Petroleum is used to move agricultural products to distributors and ultimately to you? Compared to the oil used for commuting to a daily job the ag distribution quantity is tiny.

Do you honestly think the elites don't know that keeping people well fed is the cheapest way to avoid losing their elite status?
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Ibon » Thu 27 Apr 2017, 08:59:11

Subjectivist wrote:
Do you honestly think the elites don't know that keeping people well fed is the cheapest way to avoid losing their elite status?

As mentioned on the other thread regarding parasites, suck but not too hard.
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby onlooker » Thu 27 Apr 2017, 09:07:24

Ibon wrote:
Subjectivist wrote:

As mentioned on the other thread regarding parasites, suck but not too hard.

Too all that, I will quote from Bible "Man does not live by bread alone" In addition, too other necessities like Medicine or sufficient warmth, rich country denizens have grown pretty entitled and accustomed to their amnesties. When all that begins to disappear how will they react?
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby efarmer » Thu 27 Apr 2017, 11:21:40

The GMO subject is of interest to me, I live near one of the large R&D hotbeds of it and know some very bright scientists who are involved in it's deployment and of course many people who are against it. CRISPR is a game changer, because of the boost it gives to genetic engineering which is similar to the boost that circuit integration provided electronics and by proxy internet proliferation and that DNA polymerase enzyme replication revolutionized forensics and ease of analysis of DNA for any and all purposes. Before GMO emerged, hybridization of plants and animals evolved and is and was a tool of great utility and usage.

But then all of the life forms involved are still in the natural environment which responds and evolves, take antibiotics for example, which when introduced were so revolutionary and efective that they became a tool set applied first to human disease and then applied to increasing yield in farm animals, and the massive exposure of antibiotics in use against bacteria was met by evolution by bacteria to resist, and drove a stop gap of advanced antibiotic devlopment as a counter to such evolution. I see a current trend of returning to traditonal antimicrobial medicines of natural and chemical natures as a result or our technology succumbing to evolution.

We often view a new or newly empowered technology as the magic bullet against our known limits to existence in present or predicted human scale. The human penchant is to exploit technology that is profitable to the greatest extent possible, and in many technological fields, like atomic energy, informatics and internet technology, medical technology, and GMO technology, thus we really end up deploying them as soon as they are viable, and tinkering and coping with the desired and undesired results as they emerge. We live in a chaotic world and we find ourselves empowered to introduce additional chaos into the mix at scales that introduce new forms of chaos beyond our present ability to cope with. We work very hard to end the world as we know it in order to create a world as we wish it to be and arrive at the emerging results and scramble to deal with the additional chaos so created. This is exactly what we have always done, we just didn't have the ability to do it as globally and as efficiently, and we are going to keep doing this until we can't. I often wish to return to my known existence when it was simpler and I understand it when I look back, and so did my father, and mother, and theirs too, going all the way back when a fire, something to eat, and a rich mythology sufficed while you kept lookout for the saber toothed tiger while the clan slept.
efarmer
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby onlooker » Thu 27 Apr 2017, 11:26:21

Good post Farm. Which is to say the law of unintended consequences. We are already living in the era of unintended consequences.
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 27 Apr 2017, 12:42:57

To survive as a species humans need to learn to work with nature not wage war on it.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby onlooker » Thu 27 Apr 2017, 12:57:37

Newfie wrote:To survive as a species humans need to learn to work with nature not wage war on it.

+1
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby furrybill » Thu 27 Apr 2017, 15:21:19

+2
furrybill
Peat
Peat

Unread postby JimBof » Thu 27 Apr 2017, 17:35:00

+3
JimBof
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Thu 27 Apr 2017, 17:53:44

Newfie wrote:To survive as a species humans need to learn to work with nature not wage war on it.

And they might try to do that.

When they realize they have no other choice.

If it's not FAR too late to make any difference.

Possible, but in my view, unlikely.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Subjectivist » Thu 27 Apr 2017, 18:42:14

Every time I see this thread my brain churns out the song,

https://youtu.be/Z0GFRcFm-aY
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

PreviousNext

Return to Peak Oil Discussion