Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Is the US weak?

For discussions of events and conditions not necessarily related to Peak Oil.

Re: Is the US weak?

Unread postby sparky » Thu 11 Aug 2016, 10:19:26

six my friend , if you think being so called "weak" is a measure of power you are way wrong
being strong is picking your fights ,not stubbing into any scrap with third rate looser
there would be much less crippled in military hospital , way less coffins being flowed in
and less mothers wondering what the fuck did they loose their baby for
sparky
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Hawkcreek » Wed 24 Aug 2016, 00:12:49

Subjectivist wrote:In terms of bridges, roads and railroads American infrastructure is falling apart at the seams. That makes us weak in a very real way, without good roads and bridges and rail capacity we can't move goods from producer to consumer.

I hear that and read that a lot, but in all my travels around the country, I rarely see any evidence of this. I see a lot of road and bridge construction going on (damned near everywhere, it seems sometimes) , but no roads or bridges that are blocked or impassable.
In short, I have seen no evidence that this "fact" is true, at least to my eyes.
I admit most of my travels are in the western half of the country. Are the roads on the eastern side that much worse?
Just asking.
"It don't make no sense that common sense don't make no sense no more"
John Prine
Hawkcreek
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Tanada » Sun 28 Aug 2016, 18:09:13

Hawkcreek wrote:
Subjectivist wrote:In terms of bridges, roads and railroads American infrastructure is falling apart at the seams. That makes us weak in a very real way, without good roads and bridges and rail capacity we can't move goods from producer to consumer.

I hear that and read that a lot, but in all my travels around the country, I rarely see any evidence of this. I see a lot of road and bridge construction going on (damned near everywhere, it seems sometimes) , but no roads or bridges that are blocked or impassable.
In short, I have seen no evidence that this "fact" is true, at least to my eyes.
I admit most of my travels are in the western half of the country. Are the roads on the eastern side that much worse?
Just asking.

The interstate roads that are built and maintained as a State/Federal partnership are in fair condition, but around Ohio, Indiana and Michigan at least the secondary and tertiary roads are not in that good of condition. Where I used to live in Michigan and where I now live in Ohio a good 10% of country roads are in bad repair, many of them with closed bridges that have remained closed for many years due to lack of repair or replacement funding. This whole section of the country was laid out on a 1 mile square grid pattern back in the later 1700's under a congressional act for the survey when it was just the "Northwest Territory". Outside of cities and suburbs the county roads are that same 1 mile grid pattern, and where there are river crossings that means a bridge outage requires up to 3 miles of detour to reach your destination.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby dissident » Sun 28 Aug 2016, 18:46:41

When billions of US dollars are thrown around in Iraq, Ukraine and elsewhere it seems so easy for the US and its vast financial resource base to do this. But then we have what is described above. Throwing some of those billions on vital infrastructure like bridges would sure do much to get rid of the decades old back log in repairs. Seems to me that less regime change engineering is what the US needs even if the image it projects makes this seem unimportant.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Previous

Return to Geopolitics & Global Economics