Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Iran Thread Pt. 5

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: Iran Captures Advanced US Drone Intact

Unread postby The Practician » Mon 12 Dec 2011, 19:21:22

autonomous wrote:This photo shows large payload doors below the R170:
]

Pretty sure those "large payload doors" are just the flaps that cover the landing gear.
The Practician
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby eXpat » Tue 13 Dec 2011, 11:43:17

They need to run an update in the software of those drones:
U.S. Drone Crashes in Seychelles, Air Force Investigating
A U.S. drone has crashed in the island nation of Seychelles, an incident that comes just over a week after a U.S. drone went down in Iran.

The U.S. Air Force confirmed that the unarmed MQ-9 drone crash-landed at the Seychelles International Airport Tuesday morning.

"The cause of the incident is unknown and currently under investigation," the Air Force said in a statement.

According to the Air Force, the Seychelles government was "immediately notified," and the U.S. military is coordinating with Seychelles officials to coordinate "the removal of debris."

The drone that went down more than a week ago in Iran remains in Iranian hands. An Iranian military official said over the weekend that the country will not return the aircraft, as it considers the drone's presence a "hostile act." Iran's defense minister has called on the United States to apologize for the incident.

It remains unclear what brought down the drone in Iran.

The latest crash comes just hours after Defense Secretary Leon Panetta visited Camp Lemonnier in Djibouti, the base that houses troops assigned to a unit in the horn of Africa and is home to a fleet of drones assigned to fly over the horn of Africa and some areas in the Middle East.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/12/13/us-drone-crashes-in-seychelles/
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
George Bernard Shaw

You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.” Ayn Rand
eXpat
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby seahorse3 » Tue 13 Dec 2011, 12:06:41

Well, maybe there was more to that virus incident in October where the military disclosed a virus in the control room of these drones.
seahorse3
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Cog » Tue 13 Dec 2011, 12:08:20

seahorse3 wrote:Well, maybe there was more to that virus incident in October where the military disclosed a virus in the control room of these drones.

Or the simpler explanation is that things that fly sometimes crash. We live in a imperfect world.

The amount of panic being spun over all this is very humorous.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby seahorse3 » Tue 13 Dec 2011, 14:18:29

No one here is panicking just stating the facts: that Iran now has in it's possession the most advanced stealth drone on the planet - the loss if that technology and whatever they learn from that is very damaging. If anyone is panicking IRS the NSA, CIA and military. With the Taliban hacking into drone video feeds in 2009, the military admitting buying thousands of chips with backdoors allowing them to be hacked and shut down, and the admission of a virus in the control room of the drones, and now two drones crashing within days of each other one has to question how great our technological advantage is. Hubris is a killer on the battlefield. So cog it's not panic. In fact many probably are glad the US is having technical difficulties. I simply statenthenknown facts and try to draw conclusions, which is the drone in Iranian hands didn't fall out of the sky. The US military better be panicking right now and not so dismissive as you. I remember you once stating the Fukushima disaster would be contained by October of this year. Do you care to revisit that prediction? You were wrong bc you are to emotionally ingested in trying to accuse others of panicking without thinking about the facts, drawing reasonable inferences/ conclusions and acting accordingly
seahorse3
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Cog » Tue 13 Dec 2011, 15:21:58

The Fukushima disaster has been contained. Where are all the dead bodies?

The inference I draw from the lack of panic among the military, about the downed drone, is they aren't too worried about its loss. You infer from their silence something akin to them running around with their heads on fire. :lol:
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby seahorse3 » Tue 13 Dec 2011, 17:33:18

First, no one here is panicking which is what you said. In fact, many posters here are probably glad the US lost its top secret drone to the enemy. Not me, I'm American, but I suspect many are happy which is a far cry from panicking.

Now, I'm sure the US military staff is in panic mode. If they aren't, they are bigger fools than I know them to be. I infer "panic" from the fact that they lost a top secret drone to their arch enemy at the moment. They have already expressed grave concern that there was an unknown virus found in the control keyboards logging all key strokes. They have already expressed grave concern that they had been buying chips with backdoors. I infer "panic" from the fact that the US President has asked for it back. I infer panic from all the neocons on the news lambasting the loss of this drone, including interviews last night with Dick Cheney and others who say the loss is irreplaceable. So, it appears there is panic, and rightfully so, at the blow back from this loss.

Now, the Fukoshima disaster is not contained as you say. It is still melting down and there is so much waste water the Japanese don't know what to do with it. Plan B is to dump it in the ocean. I never said dead bodies. Both then and now I challenged your call that the situation would be fully contained by October, which it isn't. In fact, the situation is apparently getting worse, not better. I'm sure you've followed the most recent reports though they are hard to get bc the Japanese have a virtual news blackout on the situation.
seahorse3
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby gollum » Tue 13 Dec 2011, 18:55:40

I don't think the issue is what's Iran going to do with the drone it what's China going to learn from it.
gollum
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby IndigoMoon » Tue 13 Dec 2011, 19:02:34

And now a second one. Begs the question: how many were "lost" that we do not know about?

http://rt.com/usa/news/seychelles-drone-us-iran-711/

With America still scrambling to explain why and how they lost a drone aircraft over Iran last week, the Pentagon is trying to make sense of how another high-tech unmanned spy craft crashed Tuesday morning in Seychelles.
For the second time in two weeks, American authorities lost contact with a drone aircraft, this time resulting in a fiery crash on the Indian Ocean island of Seychelles. The United States has operated an Air Force base there since 2009 to dispatch drone crafts for use in anti-piracy missions and to patrol the skies over Somalia and elsewhere.
Officials at the US Embassy in Mauritius confirmed Tuesday morning of the crash, revealing that a MQ-9, or “Reaper” drone, landed at Seychelles International Airport, citing mechanical issues.
Live simply, love generously, care deeply, and speak kindly.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass;
It's about learning how to dance in the rain.
IndigoMoon
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby seahorse3 » Wed 14 Dec 2011, 15:43:21

seahorse3
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby seahorse3 » Thu 15 Dec 2011, 23:33:19

Another article saying Iran hacked our drone[url][http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45685870/ns/world_news-christian_science_monitor/#.Tuq3JoTImSp/url]
seahorse3
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby AgentR11 » Fri 16 Dec 2011, 14:07:38

I'll weigh in a little again against the hacking hypothesis...

What we know. Iran is in possession of a surveillance drone. Iran has exposed the upper shell of the drone to camera lenses.

Option 1: If Iran retrieved a belly-flopped drone with top shell mostly intact, but guts and computers splattered, they get the most value by displaying it to the world and trying to get some diplomatic mileage from the thing. The shell itself isn't worth much, most of the US's peers can build similar airframes, even the material itself isn't that helpful without knowing its process.

Option 2: If Iran captured/retrieved a drone with guts intact and computer still powered up, they get more mileage by selling/loaning it to Russia or China, and that avenue is best served by not displaying or openly admitting to the capture at all.

This is all going on the assumption that Iran's leaders are actually rational underneath their public blustery faces. I tend to think this is a reasonable assumption; Iran is a modern state, plenty of tech, and no one should ever claim that Persian culture is somehow backwards. If this, however, is incorrect, and they really are a bunch of raving nutbars running the place, then I suppose its possible to pull off a great technological coup by hacking and commanding the drone to a safe landing, and then blow it for a photo op showing half the drone.

I just can't mentally get from hacked drone to a photo op that would impress no one that *needs* impressing...
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby ColossalContrarian » Fri 16 Dec 2011, 14:45:03

Iran Hacked GPS Signals To Capture U.S. Drone

According to the Iranian engineer that spoke with the Monitor, Iran's takedown of a U.S. drone didn't occur overnight. Rather, its engineers have been studying drones since 2007, and especially since 2009, which is when the RQ-170 first deployed in Afghanistan. They also reverse-engineered the systems of two less-advanced drones that had been downed inside Iran in recent years, looking for exploitable vulnerabilities.

The revelations over Iran's GPS jamming capabilities mean that the country could be able to divert any GPS-guided missiles launched at targets inside its borders.

They've been studying these things for years and how to combat them....
ColossalContrarian
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby AgentR11 » Fri 16 Dec 2011, 14:55:39

Just a note to think about on gps jamming, my little android phone caries in it an accelerometer that is sufficiently accurate to keep it from crashing in Iran if it were the computer inside one; most especially for one like this where it loiters at a truly obnoxiously high altitude.

Now, obviously, I didn't write the software or build the hardware to this drone, or else wouldn't be able to type about it or related topics, but I find it hard to accept that a system design with a huge budget couldn't manage to find $100 for a decent accelerometer, and a few lines of extra code to validate gps input against accelerometer input. Its just not credible to suggest a sensor drone has no accelerometer, nor software able to use and test against it.

GPS jamming could really mess with a low flying, high speed cruise missle, I'll certainly grant that; but high altitude flight? Inertial nav itself is entirely adequate.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby ColossalContrarian » Fri 16 Dec 2011, 16:25:15

Per this article a lot of devices are subject to GPS jamming.

Lightsquared Disrupts Airplane Navigation GPS, Feds Say

The service also caused "harmful interference" to the majority of other general-purpose GPS receivers that were tested, according to the agencies.

Granted the carriers using this technology deny it causes problems but in the article I posted earlier it says this.

To make the drone rely only on GPS, however, first the Iranians jammed the remote-control communications channel used to guide the drone from its control center. "By putting noise [jamming] on the communications, you force the bird into autopilot. This is where the bird loses its brain," said the engineer. Notably, it's also much easier than trying to crack the encrypted remote-control communications channel.
With the drone relying solely on GPS to determine its latitude, longitude, altitude, and velocity, the Iranians then broadcast carefully spoofed GPS coordinates, which allowed the drone to land at what it believed was its home base. In reality, it landed well inside Iranian borders. The altitude of the spoofed location was slightly different, however, which ended up denting the drone's underbelly, as can be seen in video footage released by Iran.

There was a time when people thought compasses and stars were infallible for directions....
ColossalContrarian
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: Iranian Solar Plant

Unread postby Christina12 » Sat 24 Dec 2011, 00:28:45

i apologize if you know this already to which i am sharing. The head of Iran's Renewable Energy Organization (SUNA) has announced the country's plan for the launch of the largest solar power plant in the Middle East by 2015.
SUNA chief Yousef Armodeli said that the solar power plant in Shiraz, the provincial capital of the southern province of Fars, will come on stream by the end of the Fifth Five-Year development Plan (2010-2015). Armodeli also said that the pilot plant for harnessing solar energy was installed and launched in Shiraz during the Fourth Five-Year Development Plan (2005-2010).

Nearly 80 % of the solar power plant in Shiraz, the first in Iran and the largest in the Middle East, has been built by local Iranian experts.
The Islamic Republic has made great strides in generating energy from renewable sources, mainly solar and wind power. In May, Iran launched a 484-MW solar thermal combined cycle power plant in the central Iranian province of Yazd.

The solar thermal combined cycle power plant is the world's first combined cycle plant that uses natural gas and solar energy.
Iran is the 16th producer of electricity in the world and is working to achieve sustainable development in the field of renewable energy. Earlier in June, Iran's Energy Minister Majid Namjou said Iran has plans to generate more than 5,000 MW of electricity from renewable energy resources by 2015.
Christina12
Wood
Wood

Iran Behind 9/11 Attacks: U.S. District Court Rules

Unread postby Everything » Mon 26 Dec 2011, 22:53:05

A federal district court in Manhattan yesterday entered a historic ruling that reveals new facts about Iran's support of al Qaeda in the 9/11 attacks. U.S. District Judge George B. Daniels ruled yesterday that Iran and Hezbollah materially and directly supported al Qaeda in the September 11, 2001 attacks and are legally responsible for damages to hundreds of family members of 9/11 victims who are plaintiffs in the case.

Judge Daniels had announced his ruling in Havlish, et al. v. bin Laden, et al., in open court on Thursday, December 15, 2011, following a three-hour courtroom presentation by the families' attorneys. Judge Daniels entered a written Order of Judgment yesterday backed by 53 pages of detailed Findings of Fact and Conclusions of Law. Fiona Havlish, whose husband Donald perished in the World Trade Center North Tower on 9/11 said, "This is a historic day. For ten years we've wanted the truth to be known about who was responsible for our losses. Now we have that answer."

In Havlish, et al. v. bin Laden, et al.,Judge Daniels held that the Islamic Republic of Iran, its Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Hosseini Khamenei, former Iranian president Ali Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani, and Iran's agencies and instrumentalities, including, among others, the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps ("IRGC"), the Iranian Ministry of Intelligence and Security ("MOIS"), and Iran's terrorist proxy Hezbollah, all materially aided and supported al Qaeda before and after 9/11.

The evidence was developed over a seven-year international investigation by the Havlish attorneys who pursued the 9/11 Commission's recommendation regarding an apparent link between Iran, Hezbollah, and the 9/11 hijackers, following the Commission's own eleventh-hour discovery of significant National Security Agency ("NSA") intercepts: "We believe this topic requires further investigation by the U.S. government." 9/11 Commission Report, p. 241. The Havlish evidence included sworn testimony and affidavits from the following:

http://www.bloomberg.com/article/2011-1 ... NT3wo.html
Last edited by Ferretlover on Tue 27 Dec 2011, 21:02:47, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged thread.
Everything
permanently banned

Re: Iran Behind 9/11 Attacks: U.S. District Court Rules

Unread postby Rod_Cloutier » Mon 26 Dec 2011, 23:12:31

Lies, and a pretext to another unnecessary war.

9/11 was domestic terrorism brought to you by G.W. Bush & company, the evidence is overwheming:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw-jzCfa4eQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pfIlxtb5Pk

This ruling is dishonest in intent.
Rod_Cloutier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby eXpat » Mon 26 Dec 2011, 23:25:34

There we go again...
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
George Bernard Shaw

You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.” Ayn Rand
eXpat
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Mon 26 Dec 2011, 23:51:38

Everything wrote:A federal district court in Manhattan yesterday entered a historic ruling that reveals new facts about Iran's support of al Qaeda in the 9/11 attacks. U.S. District Judge George B. Daniels ruled yesterday that Iran and Hezbollah materially and directly supported al Qaeda in the September 11, 2001 attacks and are legally responsible for damages to hundreds of family members of 9/11 victims who are plaintiffs in the case.....
In Havlish, et al. v. bin Laden, et al.,Judge Daniels held that the Islamic Republic of Iran, its Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Hosseini Khamenei, former Iranian president Ali Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani, and Iran's agencies and instrumentalities, including, among others, the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps ("IRGC"), the Iranian Ministry of Intelligence and Security ("MOIS"), and Iran's terrorist proxy Hezbollah, all materially aided and supported al Qaeda before and after 9/11.

The evidence was developed over a seven-year international investigation by the Havlish attorneys who pursued the 9/11 Commission's recommendation regarding an apparent link between Iran, Hezbollah, and the 9/11 hijackers, following the Commission's own eleventh-hour discovery of significant National Security Agency ("NSA") intercepts: "We believe this topic requires further investigation by the U.S. government."

This is why the 9/11 truther movement has zero credibility.

If they have any evidence supporting their crazy claims about 9/11, let them go to court and sue like Ms. Havlish did. Let them present their evidence like Ms. Havlish did. Let the troofers convince a judge like Ms. Havlish did.

Until then the truthers in their tin foil helmets have just as much credibility as the birthers..i.e. ZERO.

The 9/11 truthers don't have a scintilla of evidence that will stand up in court
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Asia Discussion