Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Iran Thread Pt. 5

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: Iran Threatens Close Hormuz to USA Ships

Unread postby GHung » Thu 05 May 2016, 09:45:41

I spent a lot of time patrolling the straits, and the Iranians have been threatening to close them for decades. That said, the shipping lanes are quite narrow, and sinking a couple of VLCCs in the main lanes could definitely disrupt traffic; an easy rocket shot from Iran.

Then, again, Iran has major oil terminals in the area, including at Bandar Abbas. I think they would think twice before risking their ability to export their own oil.
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby onlooker » Thu 05 May 2016, 11:48:59

Newfie wrote:There ya go, peeking behind the curtin.

I don't know how close KSA is to coming apart, not denying the possibility.

I still think that the rational thing for the US to do is get out, leave it to the locals to sort out. Put our military savings into energy efficiencies here at home to lessen the impact.

But since that ain't gonna happen I guess I'll buy more popcorn.

Newfie, my observation is not unfounded. Check this article.
http://www.theatlantic.com/internationa ... se/463212/
Preparing for the Collapse of the Saudi Kingdom
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 05 May 2016, 16:26:34

I was just admitting my ignorance. I don't take the Atlantic too seriously since they predicted a DOW of 40,000 in 2008.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Thu 05 May 2016, 16:36:11

This is a common sabre rattling response of Iran to pretty much everything they get pissed off about. Pissed off about UAE horning in on Persian/Arab Gulf oil....threaten Hormuz blockade. Pissed off at Saudi Arabia (at least once a week they seem to be) ....threaten Hormuz blockade. Pissed off at the US....threaten Hormuz blockade (although that ploy may have less teeth than in the past. Not sure what else they can threaten that would be taken seriously.

I was involved at looking at the first Iranian open bid round back in the early nineties. At that time Iran was in a dust up with UAE and guess what they were threatening? Tigers don't change their stripes.

To my mind the US should just shut them up once and for all. A few well aimed cruise missiles would do the job. They could target the WMD factories (come on you know they have them!) and purposefully miss the carpet markets in Qolm and Tabriz. :wink:
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby onlooker » Thu 05 May 2016, 16:37:54

Newfie wrote:I was just admitting my ignorance. I don't take the Atlantic too seriously since they predicted a DOW of 40,000 in 2008.

That is a pretty outrageous prediction Newf, I think I will avoid them also. :)
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Thu 05 May 2016, 21:37:58

Newfie wrote:There ya go, peeking behind the curtin.

I don't know how close KSA is to coming apart, not denying the possibility.

I still think that the rational thing for the US to do is get out, leave it to the locals to sort out. Put our military savings into energy efficiencies here at home to lessen the impact.

But since that ain't gonna happen I guess I'll buy more popcorn.

I agree 100% with the sentiment and concept.

However, if the preparation / efficiencies aren't (at least mostly) done FIRST, we just heap pain on ourselves and our allies if we leave and that area erupts in military flames and all exports quickly stop.

If we got serious and combined the increased US (and other allies in time) oil production due to fracking, got serious about using plentiful NG as an alternative transport fuel (at least for a transition phase), got SERIOUS about conservation by making the gas tax so high over several years that today's giant pickup/SUV buyers were scrambling for something that got more Prius-class mileage AND stopped a lot of unneeded travel, etc., in a decade or less we could dramatically diminish the extent to which we need to import OPEC oil, or even have a nice oil production surplus.

But as you say, that won't happen -- I just wanted to point out that it isn't dramatically difficult -- with enough political will. Oh -- it should do wonders for slowing AGW as well, but why do that when the Paris Accords will fix that issue. :roll:
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Re: THE Iran Thread pt 5

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 31 Jan 2017, 11:24:29

Logically this should result in UN sanction being reimposed on Iran, but odds are the EU states will refuse to do so as a way of protesting President Trump.
Iran tests ballistic missile in defiance of UN resolution, US officials say
Iran conducted its first ballistic missile test under Donald Trump's presidency, in yet another apparent violation of a United Nations resolution, U.S. officials told Fox News on Monday.

The launch occurred Sunday at a well-known test site outside Semnan, about 140 miles east of Tehran, Fox News was first to learn.

The Khorramshahr medium-range ballistic missile flew 600 miles before exploding, in a failed test of a reentry vehicle, officials said. Iran defense minister Brigadier Gen. Hossein Dehqan said in September that Iran would start production of the missile.

U.N. resolution 2231 -- put in place days after the Iran nuclear deal was signed -- calls on the Islamic Republic not to conduct such tests. However, this is at least Iran's second such test since July. The resolution bars Iran from conducting ballistic missile tests for eight years and went into effect July 20, 2015.

The landmark nuclear deal between Iran and world powers, however, does not include provisions preventing Iran from conducting ballistic missile tests, and Iran claims the tests are legitimate because they are not designed to carry a nuclear warhead.

President Trump on Sunday spoke with King Salman of Saudi Arabia, a conversation in which the two "agreed on the importance of rigorously enforcing the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action with Iran and of addressing Iran’s destabilizing regional activities," the White House said in a statement.

A ballistic missile launch could potentially fall under "destabilizing regional activities."

The launch also came a day before Jordan’s King Abdullah arrived in Washington for meetings with Vice President Pence and Defense Secretary Mattis.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said he would address the Iran issue with Trump when the two leaders meet on Feb. 15.

"I will meet President Trump in Washington soon, and among the issues I will address, is the need to renew the sanctions against Iran," Netanyahu wrote on Facebook on Monday. "Sanctions against the ballistic missiles, and other sanctions against the terror, and re addressing the failed agreement on its nuclear capabilities.

"I know that this bothers not only Israel, and not only the US but other countries in the region. Iran's aggression should not be ignored."

The U.S. intelligence community was able to identify Sunday's launch due to its robust satellite network. The overhead system can detect the heat signature of missile launches and explosions from bombs being dropped around the world.

Last March, Iran sparked international condemnation when it test-fired two ballistic missiles, one emblazoned with the phrase “Israel must be wiped out” in Hebrew.

U.S. Army Gen. Joseph Votel told lawmakers last March the United States should continue to "expose" Iran for the role that the rogue nation plays in the region, including its support for Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, responsible for dropping barrel bombs on his own people.

Dehqan said in September that Iran would beef up its defense capabilities by "manufacturing three fundamental products in the area of missile [development] by the end of the year."

"Iran's missile tests are an unacceptable act of aggression-something we have seen occur time and again for the last 18 months," Ambassador Mark D. Wallace, CEO of the non-profit United Against Nuclear Iran, responded.

Fox News' Rich Edson contributed to this report.

Lucas Tomlinson is the Pentagon and State Department producer for Fox News Channel. You can follow him on Twitter: @LucasFoxNews

Jennifer Griffin currently serves as a national security correspondent for FOX News Channel . She joined FNC in October 1999 as a Jerusalem-based correspondent. You can follow her on Twitter at @JenGriffinFNC.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/01/30 ... s-say.html
I should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write, balance accounts, build a wall, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Subjectivist » Tue 31 Jan 2017, 12:36:05

Iran tests every new President to see how they respond to provocation. I have no idea what the best response would be, but I know just speaking without acting would be a show of weakness.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 31 Jan 2017, 17:39:29

Iranian state media claimed the attack was carried out by Houthi militants in Yemen with a guided missile against a Saudi navy vessel.

The media cites a source as saying the vessel had 176 sailors and officers, as well as a combat helicopter, on board at the time of the attack.

The US Navy told Business Insider that it was aware of reports of the Saudi ship being hit but could not yet confirm or deny the event.

Yemen's Houthi militants have received support from Iran. In October, the same Houthi militants successfully struck a United Arab Emirates vessel with an anti-ship cruise missile in the waters off Yemen's western coast, where Iranian media claims this strike took place.

Later in October, when US ships entered the waters off Yemen's coast, Houthi militants shot missiles at US ships, which the US intercepted before firing a salvo that destroyed the radar sites that had been used to launch the attacks. Without such radar sites, the Houthis couldn't properly fire a guided anti-ship missile.

http://www.businessinsider.com/iran-hou ... hip-2017-1

The Iranian-backed suicide attack targeting a Saudi frigate off the coast of Yemen on Monday may have been meant for an American warship, two defense officials told Fox News.

The incident in question occurred in the southern Red Sea and was carried out by Iranian-backed Houthi rebels. Two Saudi sailors were killed and three were wounded. At first the ship was thought to have been struck by a missile.

But based on new analysis of a video showing the attack, American intelligence officials now believe this was, in fact, a suicide bomber whose small boat rammed the side of the Saudi vessel.

In the audio heard on the video, a voice narrating the attack shouts in Arabic, "Death to America, Death to Israel, Death to the Jews."

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/01/31 ... rship.html
I should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write, balance accounts, build a wall, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

+++The Iranian counter Revolution Thread +++

Unread postby M_B_S » Wed 07 Jun 2017, 03:10:16

Iran Parliament attack: Guard killed after three attackers open fire; another attack underway at shrine of Ayatollah Khomeini

http://indianexpress.com/article/world/ ... -hostages/

Iran Parliament attack: There are at least three attackers inside the Parliament, news reports have said.
It has begun?**************

Learn from history Iran

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFBnP1HQ7rQ

Romanian revolution 1989

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 76411.html
http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/96b8 ... ffe4f5324d
At least one person is dead and several more have been injured in a shooting at the Iranian parliament and suicide bomb at the Mausoleum of Ayatollah Khomeini in Tehran, several semi-official Iranian news agencies reported.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-40184641

Armed men have opened fire at the Iranian parliament and the shrine of Ayatollah Khomeini in the capital, Tehran, Iranian media report.
At least one gunman fired shots inside parliament, wounding a guard, news agencies said. There are conflicting reports of other people hurt.
An attack at the mausoleum of Ayatollah Khomeini, the founder of the modern republic, has caused several injuries.
Fars news agency says three armed men raided the shrine in southern Tehran.
Latest updates
Two of the assailants shot at visitors, while the third "detonated himself in a suicide attack", the semi-official news agency said.
I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat.

M_B_S
M_B_S
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: +++The Iranian counter Revolution Thread +++

Unread postby M_B_S » Wed 07 Jun 2017, 08:04:06

https://www.almasdarnews.com/article/vi ... 8-graphic/

Moments ago, a disturbing video emerged from the Iranian parliament depicting two ISIS insurgents running rampage inside the building’s 4th and 5th floors, killing state workers at random.

At least 8 people have been killed, 4 taken hostage and over 30 injured due to two terror attacks across Tehran on Tuesday morning. ISIS claimed both attacks as their own.

In support of the claim, Amaq Agency published a mobile video recorded by the assailant himself who could be heard yelling in Arabic with a Persian dialect: “Do you ever think we (red. ISIS) will leave? We are here to stay, with Allah’s permission.”
The Islamic Republik Iran attacked by Islam Fanatics :idea: :arrow:

The Jihad is coming home..... :evil:

M_B_S

:evil:
I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat.

M_B_S
M_B_S
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Cog » Wed 07 Jun 2017, 08:34:25

Hmm Arab muslims killing Persian muslims. Not really having a problem with this.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby dolanbaker » Wed 07 Jun 2017, 09:18:47

ISIS seem to be even crazier than Hitler was in 1941, starting another front when overstretched on all the others.
This action may hasten their demise, when Iran retaliates in Syria and I don't see Iraq putting up much resistance if they decided to invade the ISIS infested north.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Cog » Wed 07 Jun 2017, 11:09:18

Iran Shiite militia already have a heavy presence in both Syria and Iraq. Something that will cause us no end of trouble once ISIS is eliminated.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby careinke » Wed 07 Jun 2017, 15:23:54

Cog wrote:Iran Shiite militia already have a heavy presence in both Syria and Iraq. Something that will cause us no end of trouble once ISIS is eliminated.

I don't recall very many Shia terrorist attacks recently, (although there may have been some).

I'd be willing guess the vast majority have all been Sunni derived terrorist attacks.

Of course the US mostly support Sunni nations since that is where the money is.
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Cog » Wed 07 Jun 2017, 15:35:30

Unless you count Shia support for Hezbollah and Hamas in the West Bank and Gaza.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Cog » Wed 07 Jun 2017, 15:38:48

Well this is getting interesting as a side note to Qatar. Qatar is cozying up to Iran in the face of Gulf State isolation and sanctions. This has the possibility of an all out war in the Middle East.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/06/07/turkey-t ... cials.html

Turkey's parliament is expected to fast-track on Wednesday a draft bill allowing its troops to be deployed to a Turkish military base in Qatar, officials from the ruling AK Party and the nationalist opposition said.

The move appears to support the Gulf Arab country as it faces diplomatic and trade isolation from some of the biggest Middle Eastern powers.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby careinke » Wed 07 Jun 2017, 15:46:31

Cog wrote:Unless you count Shia support for Hezbollah and Hamas in the West Bank and Gaza.

Granted, but those are not directly against the US are they?

Perhaps your metaphysical belief system is clouding your judgement here.
careinke
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Cog » Wed 07 Jun 2017, 16:01:39

My belief system didn't invent the IED's that Iran supplied to Shia militia that blew up US troops during our occupation of Iraq. That had the Quds Force of the Iranian military involvement proven beyond a shadow of a doubt.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby careinke » Wed 07 Jun 2017, 17:02:29

Cog wrote:My belief system didn't invent the IED's that Iran supplied to Shia militia that blew up US troops during our occupation of Iraq. That had the Quds Force of the Iranian military involvement proven beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Interesting, so you consider action against a military force occupying your lands terrorism?

This kind of hits home for me, as a friend of mine was killed by an IED. My last words to him were "Stay safe, and come home." I never considered it a terrorist action, because it wasn't. It was a combat death between opposing forces.

Blowing up noncombatants, schools, etc. are terrorist acts, not attacking an enemy occupying you land.

My point is, most of the Shia aggression seems to be in direct response to actions taken against them (at least in their minds).

Sunnis, on the other hand, support groups like ISIS who are commuted to spreading Shari'a law everywhere.

See the difference, one is primarily offensive, the other defence.

But on to the main topic. This Qatar thing is beyond strange. The only thing that makes sense is it is a precursor to an Islamic civil war.

I have lived and or worked in all the countries involved, and even I am having trouble comprehending WTF is going on.

My gut feeling is it is dangerous as hell, and we (the US), need to leave!

How about a nice game of thermonuclear war?????
careinke
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

PreviousNext

Return to Asia Discussion