PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

International Climate Negotiations Pt. 3

Re: International Climate Negotiations Pt. 3

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sun 28 Mar 2021, 21:33:54

Newfie wrote:Plant,

I have been reading “Done Even Think About It”

https://www.amazon.com/Dont-Even-Think- ... 163286102X

Not quite half way through. It is a good summary if how the human mind has evolved to address threats. There is little to be hopeful about. If it is like almost all books it will end on a positive note about how if we do XYZ now there is still time to save our ass.

I don't think so. If you look at the IPCC (?) carbon budget estimates we have very little room left to make necessary changes. All of our remaining budget needs to ho into the transition, and we are not doing that.

Yup. I totally agree with you. I was somewhat hopeful that the UN Climate Treaty Process might produce a meaningful global climate treat that would mandate CO2 emissions reductions, right up until Obama derailed the Copenhagen meeting and destroyed any chance of getting a real climate treaty signed. Now we're stuck in the useless and phony Paris Climate accords, and ever since the Paris Accords were signed global CO2 emissions go up each year and the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere increases each year, showing the Paris Accords have utterly failed to control global CO2 emissions.

I haven't read the book you are reading but it sounds very interesting.

Newfie wrote:The “good” news is the worst effects kick in after I will be worm food. Not so good for future generations. I have come to see as effectively similar to a giant asteroid, it is coming, it will hit, we are powerless to stop it. That I am a part of that asteroid makes for some sharp irony.

Not to stop you from your posts, please carry on.

No, again I agree with you completely. I'm to the point that I've become curious about exactly how global warming is going to screw the planet up, and I'm watching the whole show year by year. Forest fires, floods, giant hurricanes, glacier melt, permafrost melt, sea level rise, Arctic ocean sea ice disappearing........its all entertaining, in a curiously morbid -end-of-the-world way.

AND I'm grateful to PeakOil.com for letting me post about this stuff.......its a way to purge my anger and sadness about have to live through the end of the world, just because our politicians are a bunch of lying, hypocritical phonies on the global warming issue who couldn't even negotiate a real climate treaty that would require CO2 emissions on a global basis.

Thanks for nothing to Obama, Putin, Trump, Xi Biden and all the other incompetent world leaders for FAILING to stop global warming.....

Cheers!

PS: One of the fascinating things about this "climate summit" called by Biden is that he has asked Putin and Xi to participate, just weeks after calling Putin a "killer" and accusing Xi of genocide. Putin immediately challenged Biden to a public debate over it, but Biden backed down.

I wonder if we're going to see some fireworks between Biden and Putin and Xi in this "ZOOM" climate conference........or will Putin and Xi just pretend that Biden didn't insult them a few weeks ago.??

Biden stupidly blurted out thatPutin is a Killer.....and now he want's Putin to play nice and be part of a group zoom call about climate change.....I wonder how that will all work out?
250 million thousand people have died of covid---Joe Biden
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama

-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby JuanP » Sun 28 Mar 2021, 22:33:47

Plantagenet, Putin and Xi have no obligation to attend this zoom call organized by Biden. China and Russia could be represented by their prime ministers, foreign ministers, or simply not attend. I suspect that both Putin and Xi will attend, though, and simply ignore Biden, unless he attacks them again, in which case they will probably just bitch slap him again. Russia and China have essentially given up in the last couple of weeks on having good relations with the US, UK, EU, Australia, and Canada. I expect international relations to become more polarized and confrontational in the short term future.

Biden thinks that he can force Russia and China to act against their own interests using Climate Change, and the ideas of democracy and human rights as an excuse. I believe that the Russians and the Chinese have decided not to play along. Russia and China will do what they think is best for their people, and increasingly ignore the West. By insulting Xi and Putin personally, Biden guaranteed that any negotiations between the West, Russia, and China will be very, very tough. Biden is a f***ing moron!

Not that I ever thought humanity would deal with Climate Change intelligently, it's just not possible based on what we are and how we evolved. I am soooo glad I never had children and this is just like watching a horror Multimedia series for me. Sad, but extremely entertaining in a very morbid way, as you correctly pointed out.

I have no skin in the game; I don't give a f*** what happens to humanity or human civilization. What goes around comes around and what goes up must come down. I wish all the suffering that awaits us as a species could have been prevented, but that was never the case. It was always a matter of when, not if.
"Only Americans can hurt America." Dwight D. Eisenhower
Free Meng Wanzhou! TRUMP 2024!
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby dissident » Tue 30 Mar 2021, 11:48:28

China is winding down its coal power plant frenzy and is moving to natural gas (from Russia and elsewhere) and nuclear power. Russia is building up its solar panel farms and wind mill arrays at the same time as it maintains nuclear power generation. They don't need some senile blow hard hater to brow beat them "into line".

https://www.worldometers.info/co2-emiss ... emissions/

Note how China's CO2 emissions plateaued from 2008 even though its GDP kept growing at a pace only slightly slower than before. This indicates a fundamental transition in the nature of CO2 emissions in China. I fully expect them to start declining in the coming years from the decline in coal use. This is driven by air quality problems in major Chinese cities and the growing demands by Chinese people for better quality of life.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Previous

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate