Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Homeowners could be sued in Trayvon Martin case

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: Homeowners could be sued in Trayvon Martin case

Unread postby Cog » Mon 23 Apr 2012, 18:39:09

pstarr wrote:
Cog wrote:Sixstrings trusts the government to take care of all his financial and security needs. In his belief system, if we only had more government everyone would be happy and safe and guns would be totally unncessary.

see my previous comment. it is about you.

See my previous comment, it was for you as well. :lol:
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Cog » Mon 23 Apr 2012, 18:41:09

seenmostofit wrote:
Cog wrote:Sixstrings trusts the government to take care of all his financial and security needs. In his belief system, if we only had more government everyone would be happy and safe and guns would be totally unncessary.

How does that belief sit within the context of peak oil? Peak oil means the government will start rationing and managing the shortages at some point int time, and certainly the first people they will deprive of needed crude oil products will be joe six-pack. Does six strings have some special in with TPTB in terms of being taken care, even as the rest of the country is deprived?

He is a government worker. They believe they are immune to rationing, shortages, and recessions. Those of us in the private sector are just peons to be taxed and abused to pay his bloated salary and penions benefits.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby seenmostofit » Mon 23 Apr 2012, 18:41:51

pstarr wrote:Thanks to the the republican (self hatred) and hatred of good government, we should be seeing more police cutbacks and vigilantism.

I am more than a little confused by the concept of "good" government. I am possibly more Jeffersonian in my government outlook than others.

pstarr wrote: The white middle class guy who considers a loaded gun with less respect then a pocket full of breathmints will grow up quickly when their hands are covered with someone's blood. I just hope it is theirs.

Do you mean this comment in the context of Zimmerman? No one has supplied any information at this point (that I am aware of anyway) which would indicate he had an inappropriate regard for his responsibilities handling a firearm.
seenmostofit
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Cog » Mon 23 Apr 2012, 18:44:00

Good government to a progressive means more government.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby seenmostofit » Mon 23 Apr 2012, 18:48:06

Cog wrote:He is a government worker. They believe they are immune to rationing, shortages, and recessions. Those of us in the private sector are just peons to be taxed and abused to pay his bloated salary and penions benefits.

I see. I imagine the view is different among those are are becoming the elite of society (assuming they aren't already of course).
seenmostofit
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Cog » Mon 23 Apr 2012, 18:51:41

Its an East Coast liberal sort of thing. I assume you know the type. Much different point of view than the fly-over and southern states.

But they are entitled to their view of paradise as long as they leave me and my rights alone. The problem is they don't.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby ColossalContrarian » Mon 23 Apr 2012, 23:10:37

Sixstrings wrote:
seenmostofit wrote:Interesting. Half the people I know and work with have concealed carry permits. Got mine last week. ...Well.. all I can say is.. just personally.. if one is living in a place that's so dangerous you need to walk around armed, then it's time to move.

You still don't get it, it's my right to carry a gun. You think that's silly, fine. I think it's silly what some people worship but it's their right and I don't go stepping on it or insulting those people.
ColossalContrarian
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby seenmostofit » Mon 23 Apr 2012, 23:32:43

I hadn't thought about it from that perspective myself. I know there are states which have decided to instill rampaging nannyish in their citizens, but I've never lived in one. But you are right, I can carry a gun because it is my right to do so, and I certainly don't castigate the Moonies, Mormons or Born Agains for standing around waiting for the man in the sky to tell them what to do.
seenmostofit
Permanently Banned

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Tue 24 Apr 2012, 09:30:29

A right or a privilege? I have the right to breath air. I have the privilege to drive a car. Without a license I have no right to drive on the road. My license is a privilege earned in my drive test 25 years ago and kept ever since by not going too far outside the law. I have no license for a gun. The amount of crap I would have to go through to get one, just to lock it in a safe at the gun club, or to give the police the right to warrantless search my home 24/7 in perpetuity, not worth the hassle. Besides which, if I had a conceal and carry permit, any phucker assaulting me in the street would be losing a kneecap, if I was in a good mood. I'm not sure how I would feel if I were not in such a good mood and the guy was dead.

Owning and carrying a weapon is not a right. It is a privilege granted by the state. Otherwise no ID no license, and the cops find it sitting on your passengers seat and have nothing to say.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby seenmostofit » Tue 24 Apr 2012, 10:22:07

SeaGypsy wrote:A right or a privilege? I have no license for a gun. The amount of crap I would have to go through to get one, just to lock it in a safe at the gun club, or to give the police the right to warrantless search my home 24/7 in perpetuity, not worth the hassle.

Some countries certainly don't trust their citizens very much. Unfortunate.
SeaGypsy wrote: Besides which, if I had a conceal and carry permit, any phucker assaulting me in the street would be losing a kneecap, if I was in a good mood. I'm not sure how I would feel if I were not in such a good mood and the guy was dead.

Reacting to an assault is a very personal decision. Myself, I like Darwin's take on the outcome from such antics. Whats wrong with the bad guys being dead? With any luck, it happened before they have the chance to breed.
SeaGypsy wrote:Owning and carrying a weapon is not a right.

Maybe not where you live. In America, it is written directly into this thing called The Bill of RIGHTS. #2 on the list.
seenmostofit
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Umber » Tue 24 Apr 2012, 10:25:36

SeaGypsy wrote:A right or a privilege? I have the right to breath air. I have the privilege to drive a car. Without a license I have no right to drive on the road. My license is a privilege earned in my drive test 25 years ago and kept ever since by not going too far outside the law. I have no license for a gun. The amount of crap I would have to go through to get one, just to lock it in a safe at the gun club, or to give the police the right to warrantless search my home 24/7 in perpetuity, not worth the hassle. Besides which, if I had a conceal and carry permit, any phucker assaulting me in the street would be losing a kneecap, if I was in a good mood. I'm not sure how I would feel if I were not in such a good mood and the guy was dead.

Owning and carrying a weapon is not a right. It is a privilege granted by the state. Otherwise no ID no license, and the cops find it sitting on your passengers seat and have nothing to say.

So, as you see it "any phucker" assulting you in the street wouldn't DESERVE to lose a kneecap? With me it would be "buy one, get on free".

In the US owning and carrying a firearm IS a right, a right recently reaffirmed by the Supreme Court. ID and license requirements are no more than laws that promote revenue enhancement. They protect no one and prevent no crime.

If I decide to kill Joe Blow who lives down the street, a knife or hatchet will do the job admirably... AND silently. I don't need a gun to kill poor old Joe. An arrow, a spear, a brick will all work. If I want to protect myself and my family a firearm is a fine tool for the intended purpose. My firearm would pose no greater threat to Joe than the aforementioned knife or hatchet.

Do you really believe that no one died at the hand of another before the invention of firearms? Firearms are the great equalizer. They give women, as just one example, the ability to protect themselves against ANY attacker... animal or human, male or female, young or old.
Umber

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Tue 24 Apr 2012, 10:35:18

Your projection not my words. Personally I would like to see seriously long sentences dished out for any kind of unprovoked violent crime. There are not, until the offender repeats a few times. I hate the mongrel dogs who go around doing this shit and if they end up dead I'm not crying. Fact is they usually get away with it.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Subjectivist » Sun 14 Jul 2013, 15:29:19

Finally it is over. IMO the media and prosecutor were on a hunt from moment one, starting with the altered 911 tape played on TV designed to make the whole thing a racism event. A Hispanic man was badly beaten and shot his attacker who died. He was found not guilty by reason of self defense. Let us hope the story ends here without further tragedy taking place.

I pray those who disagree with the result are mature enough to move on with the rest of their lives and not dwell on it for another two years.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby AgentR11 » Sun 14 Jul 2013, 15:45:38

dorlomin wrote:Hunt a black season now open in Florida.

Well, it was either going to be "black hunting season" or "hispanic hunting season" depending on which way the verdict went. There was no "good" outcome possible.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Oneaboveall » Sun 14 Jul 2013, 17:24:14

This link has a very good factual analysis of the case divorced from all the hype in the media: http://www.emptywheel.net/2013/07/11/un ... osecution/

Zimmerman was NOT on the phone with anybody operating under any color of law whatsoever; instead he spoke with a common non-emergency operator (effectively the desk receptionist at the station). It was about as far from ‘dispatch’ as is possible.

Secondly, the conversation was simply to the effect, and this is a direct quote ‘we don't need you to do that (follow Martin)’. At that point, Zimmerman, by both his own statements, and consistent timing of observations of other percipient witnesses and physical evidence of where the confrontation really did start, including even the statements of Rachel Jeantel, appear to have immediately complied with that statement and headed back toward where he came from. He did not disobey anything, much less any official order.

From the testimony of Jeantel, Martin had been literally at the entrance to the house he was staying at. Yet he did not stay there or go in it, he went away from the house, toward Zimmerman, and confronted Zimmerman. It is crystal clear Martin initiated at a minimum the verbal confrontation, again, well away from the safety of the house he had been at.

The above is all corroborated by the trial record, from the state’s own witnesses, not just Zimmerman, including even by Jeantel’s testimony on the record. The evidence admitted and extant on the trial record further reflects that only one person suffered injuries from assault prior to the gunshot and, from a direct eyewitness, John Good, it was Martin on the top of Zimmerman hitting him. By the end of the trial, the state effectively conceded Martin was on top of Zimmerman.

That is what the evidence in the trial record reflects.
When the banksters want something, our policymakers move with the speed of Mercury and the determination of Ares. It’s only when the rest of us need something that there is paralysis.

How free are we today with the dominance of globalist capital and militarized security apparatus?
Oneaboveall
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Lore » Sun 14 Jul 2013, 17:36:49

Had Zimmerman not initiated any pusuit, none of this would have happened in the first place. That is a simple fact. Stand Your Ground now can be interpreted as anyone who chooses to escalate a confrontation can get off with capital murder by claiming self defense.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Oneaboveall » Sun 14 Jul 2013, 17:47:29

Subjectivist wrote:Finally it is over. IMO the media and prosecutor were on a hunt from moment one, starting with the altered 911 tape played on TV designed to make the whole thing a racism event. A Hispanic man was badly beaten and shot his attacker who died. He was found not guilty by reason of self defense. Let us hope the story ends here without further tragedy taking place.

I pray those who disagree with the result are mature enough to move on with the rest of their lives and not dwell on it for another two years.

I agree completely. The media was completely irresponsible with regards to this story. Stuff like this 5 year old picture of Trayvon:

Passed of as a current picture is something right out of Stormfront's "anti-white/reverse discrimination" mantras.

Hunt a black season now open in Florida.

I know we're only on a message board, but that's a perfect example of an irresponsible comment. There's no open season on black people, it was just an altercation that got completely out of hand.
When the banksters want something, our policymakers move with the speed of Mercury and the determination of Ares. It’s only when the rest of us need something that there is paralysis.

How free are we today with the dominance of globalist capital and militarized security apparatus?
Oneaboveall
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Oneaboveall » Sun 14 Jul 2013, 17:49:01

Lore wrote:Had Zimmerman not initiated any pusuit, none of this would have happened in the first place. That is a simple fact. Stand Your Ground now can be interpreted as anyone who chooses to escalate a confrontation can get off with capital murder by claiming self defense.

Again:
Zimmerman was NOT on the phone with anybody operating under any color of law whatsoever; instead he spoke with a common non-emergency operator (effectively the desk receptionist at the station). It was about as far from ‘dispatch’ as is possible.

Secondly, the conversation was simply to the effect, and this is a direct quote ‘we don't need you to do that (follow Martin)’. At that point, Zimmerman, by both his own statements, and consistent timing of observations of other percipient witnesses and physical evidence of where the confrontation really did start, including even the statements of Rachel Jeantel, appear to have immediately complied with that statement and headed back toward where he came from. He did not disobey anything, much less any official order

Oneaboveall
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Lore » Sun 14 Jul 2013, 18:08:10

Right, Zimmerman got out of his vehicle and initiated the confrontation.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby dorlomin » Sun 14 Jul 2013, 18:11:58

Lore wrote:Right, Zimmerman got out of his vehicle and initiated the confrontation.
No. Trayvon was black. This was clearly a provocation that Zimmerman needed to respond to.
dorlomin
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

PreviousNext

Return to North America Discussion