Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

High School Student

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: High School Student

Unread postby Chicken_Little » Thu 23 Jun 2005, 21:36:07

CarpeDiem wrote:Should I just follow the flow of my education? Or should I spend time pursuing more essential things. I sure can't rely on my parents when the Oil Crash comes. I await responses and I apologize if a topic like this has already been made.

Don't worry. BiGG has a plan. Everything's going to be just fine.
Chicken_Little
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby CarpeDiem » Thu 23 Jun 2005, 21:36:14

A nerd like me is not going to let some woodshop elective class be a part of my cirriculum. Oh, my ego again...

Anyhow cool. There's a professor in CalStateLa that works with superconductors and that interested me like heck, but I'm in another lab associated with electromagnetism. I'm only in the beginning stages, but I'd feel guilty if I ditch that dude and move to the superconducting lab.

Liquid helium is damn cool though. Thanks for all the feedback (I can never stop thanking people). Gardening, debris shelter, etc: all nice stuff. The AK47 seems especially nice. What a great goal.

Keep my head up and be strong and lalala all that effusive mumbo jumbo and yup yup. Okey, I think I'm happy now. Further replies are unneeded but doesn't hurt.

As for now, carpe diem. Mucho gratitude.
CarpeDiem
Wood
Wood

Unread postby TheSupplyGuy » Thu 23 Jun 2005, 21:55:01

Mucho gracias tu quieres decir?

Anyway, I just graduated from high school(at the age of 17), so I kinda know how you feel. My family thinks I'm off as well, but when anything oil-related happens, they come to me :). I don't know how it works at your school, but for some reason at mine, taking electives such as woodworking would drop your GPA(because AP and honors would make it so high that reg. classes would drop it).

The two biggest things I can suggest(which I do), is to get used to using less electricity(which is kinda hard for me to do right now, since it's summer, blazin hot, and nothing to do inside except read books I've already read twice) and either get in shape or stay in shape. Personally, I recommend soccer as a sport, but I'm biased.
In the long run, men hit only what they aim at. Therefore, though they should fail immediately, they had better aim at something high.-Thoreau
Peak Oil
TheSupplyGuy
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby oiless » Sun 26 Jun 2005, 11:03:29

Carry on with what you're doing. If physics interests you, study physics.

However, I would also work to acquire other skills. I would get books on all aspects of low technology living if I could. There may be people in your area that have small, personal use gardens; try to gain knowledge from them, talk to them, ask questions, see if they will let you get some hands on experience. (That's the best kind, all the talking, thinking, and reading one can do does not replace getting your hands dirty.)
Chances are you live in a city, so this won't apply, but in some smaller communities there are old folks who are trying to keep the trades/arts they learned when young alive. Black smithing, etc.. Old people are eager, they have a compulsion almost, to pass what they know down to younger people. Approached with interest they will teach.
Unfortuneatly many in society regard elders as no-nothing has-beens who have little to contribute, people whose time has passed. It appears to me that their time may be coming again.
oiless
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby cammo2004 » Mon 27 Jun 2005, 11:06:26

CarpeDiem wrote:A nerd like me is not going to let some woodshop elective class be a part of my cirriculum. Oh, my ego again...

Anyhow cool. There's a professor in CalStateLa that works with superconductors and that interested me like heck, but I'm in another lab associated with electromagnetism. I'm only in the beginning stages, but I'd feel guilty if I ditch that dude and move to the superconducting lab.

Liquid helium is damn cool though. Thanks for all the feedback (I can never stop thanking people). Gardening, debris shelter, etc: all nice stuff. The AK47 seems especially nice. What a great goal.

Keep my head up and be strong and lalala all that effusive mumbo jumbo and yup yup. Okey, I think I'm happy now. Further replies are unneeded but doesn't hurt.

As for now, carpe diem. Mucho gratitude.

Science is a good area to look at - it existed before oil, so it'll likely exist after oil.

When considering what will likely remain, it's a good idea to look at the time just before the advent of motor vehicles.

Depending on how far back we'll be booted, look at that time period - because even if you go for an 'advent of rail' prediction and we end up being effectively kicked back to significantly before that, you've still got a better chance of getting through than somebody still trying to get by on today's lifestyle - you'll have more time to adjust your plans.
cammo2004
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 07 Jul 2020, 10:13:08

fertooos wrote:unningOnEmpty2 yahoo newsgroup is a great place to start.

What is it that makes an ancient Yahoo group worth the effort of looking it up?
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby jedrider » Tue 07 Jul 2020, 12:07:04

What you pursue usually depends upon your inclinations and aptitudes. This may not be the time to try to fit into existing squares in society unless that is the best you think you can do. I don't think peak oil will change this unless you goal is to be an automobile designer of ICE engines.

Education is about learning and discovery. Usually, you follow your main track in college but are allowed electives. Use your electives to explore what you are interested in.
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Subjectivist » Fri 10 Jul 2020, 16:00:20

I looked up the Yahoo Group the IP mentioned, no new posts since 2004! I think a bot just grabbed a related group name, no real person would be that incompetent in disguising their spam attempt.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sat 11 Jul 2020, 19:14:29

Jed - My first thought seeing this thread was all the news stories about graduating seniors "suffering" over missing normal graduation ceremonies. All I could understand how their lack of experiencing life made it seems like the worse life has to offer. But then I thought: wait another 30 or 40 years. More then a few of my fellow grads in 1969 didn't live past 20 years old to experience a lot of the crap the rest of us were lucky enough to experience.

But that's how the human mind tends to work: nothing is worse the crap we're going thru at the moment.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dolanbaker » Sun 12 Jul 2020, 15:23:25

Tanada wrote:

You're replying to a 15 year old post??

:?
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Tanada » Sun 12 Jul 2020, 21:17:28

dolanbaker wrote:
Tanada wrote:

You're replying to a 15 year old post??

:?

"fertooos" was a new, now banned and deleted, account posting on a 15 year old thread.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby AdamB » Sun 12 Jul 2020, 21:41:17

Tanada wrote:

I remember that one. And its predecessor. Boy....that is real old school stuff.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Previous

Return to Peak Oil Discussion