Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Hi, longtime lurker surfacing

Say hello, learn how to register, read the rules, get staff announcements.

Hi, longtime lurker surfacing

Unread postby Running Dog » Sun 11 Oct 2015, 14:23:14

I used to lurk over at TOD and I've been lurking here a fair while, thought it was about time I did the decent thing and signed on, said howdy and thanks for the education I've gained over the years from so many of you here. :)

Been a survivalist since before I was old enough to spell it, very much aware of Peak Oil (and many other issues) looming ever closer since I've spent the last 20 years or so living in and around Aberdeen, Scotland.

Looking forward to reading even more, learning even more, and contributing if, as and when I may - but since I was brought up to say things only when useful, that might take a while. :roll:
Running Dog
Wood
Wood

Re: Hi, longtime lurker surfacing

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sun 11 Oct 2015, 15:07:12

Howdy Dog. So give us a hint about the hound: were you in favor of separation? Thought your sector of the N Sea oil/NG should all go to Scotland? And most important: do you believe Blue Bell is the best ice cream on the planet?
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Running Dog » Sun 11 Oct 2015, 15:35:54

Hi Rockman.

Independence - sore point. A lot of hearts voted one way, a lot of heads voted the other. Very divisive, it's scarred the country and created social tensions we didn't have before.

And we're going to do it all over again in a couple of years over EU membership. Yikes.... 8O

I didn't vote for independence. The economic arguments didn't make sense to me, I couldn't see any contingency planning and, in retrospect and given the current state of the oil industry, I'm very glad it was a no-vote. As a rule of thumb we don't bother tracking the price of oil in detail round here, we just count the rig support vessels anchored in Aberdeen bay. When the price is high, they're all on the move, working. When it's moderate, they all tie up in the harbour. At the moment they're all anchored offshore with skeleton crews to avoid harbour fees. I've a lot of friends and acquaintances in the North Sea game who're either laid off, biting their nails waiting to be laid off or doing the laying off. :cry:

Ice cream's not one of my favourite foods so I prefer not to offer an ill-informed opinion based on inadequate expertise. :mrgreen:
Running Dog
Wood
Wood

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sun 11 Oct 2015, 22:36:56

Dog - It was interesting watching your debate from afar. Reminded me of periods when there was idle chatter over the long held folklore that Texas (once a independent country that VOLUNTARIALLY joined the US) had the right to succeed from the union. I once missed out on a contract to work the N Sea. Watching films the rough seas over there tempered my disappointment. LOL.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Running Dog » Mon 12 Oct 2015, 06:42:34

Yeah, the N. Sea can be rough. First rogue wave ever recorded instrumentally hit a platform in the North Sea - Draupner, one of the Norwegian rigs. West of Shetland in the N. Atlantic, where the newer UK fields are, though.... that's beyond rough and into downright nasty water. 8O

Well beyond cheap, easy oil there. :wink:
Running Dog
Wood
Wood

Unread postby litesong » Wed 12 Oct 2016, 09:40:50

ROCKMAN wrote: do you believe Blue Bell is the best ice cream on the planet?

But, Blue Bunny ice cream is recalling its cookie dough product due to Listeria contamination. http://www.al.com/business/index.ssf/20 ... ecall.html

Noted: even Blue Bell ice cream is recalling its product!
litesong
permanently banned

Unread postby Ibon » Wed 12 Oct 2016, 09:45:49

Running Dog wrote:I was brought up to say things only when useful. :roll:

We need more mentors here that embody this.
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Quinny » Wed 12 Oct 2016, 11:12:01

Hi Longdog
Live, Love, Learn, Leave Legacy.....oh and have a Laugh while you're doing it!
Quinny
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Wed 12 Oct 2016, 13:19:12

Dog - "Well beyond cheap, easy oil there." I vividly recall almost losing it coming of a crew boat on a swing line in rough seas in the Gulf of Mexico 4 DECADES ago. It wasn't that f*cking easy back then. LOL.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Gorm » Thu 13 Oct 2016, 04:39:24

Hi from sweden :)

I mostly lurk to. I did pass throu Aberdeen this summer when me & wife rented a car and spent 2 weeks in scotland & cumbria. Great place in so many regards, but the number of people living on the british isles are not to my liking.
Gorm
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sat 15 Oct 2016, 07:32:38

Gorm - "...but the number of people...". Too many or too few?
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Return to Welcome