Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Happy Talk

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: Happy Talk

Unread postby AdamB » Thu 08 Sep 2022, 10:36:22

The_Toecutter wrote: I don't know of ANY type of car you can pedal if the motor fails or if you run out of fuel.

Maybe because....there isn't any demand for such a thing? An interesting curiosity to be sure but I've got to tell you Toe, 1.3+ million miles in cages alone and I've never run out of fuel or had a motor fail. Ever. Come to think of it, 250k on motorcycles, and never run out of fuel or had a motor go on one of those either, street or track.

I had a tranny blow once? First cage ever, didn't check manual tranny fluid after I bought it, slow leak, blew main bearing one evening. But from Brownsville to Prudhoe Bay spanning parts of 6 decades now, no need for pedals because of lack of fuel or blown engines. Might you be supposing a solution for a problem that doesn't exist?

The Toecutter wrote:Range anxiety will simply not exist with this vehicle, since it is light enough to drag it to a location if one must.

Range anxiety in gassers doesn't exist with even half assed trip planning across North America. Including to Prudhoe Bay Alaska or Goose Bay Labrador. Could come in handy in Mongolia or Siberia perhaps?
What does a science denier look like?

Armageddon » Thu 09 Feb 2006, 10:47:28
whales are a perfect example as to why evolution is wrong. Nothing can evolve into something that enormous. There is no explanation for it getting that big. end of discussion
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Thu 22 Sep 2022, 04:07:10

Just got a low chill peach nectarine and plum
Just need to hope we get 150 hours of chill

This year we definitely did it was a surprisingly cold winter for the sub tropics.....a few Antarctic blasts went up the east cost we got to 16C in the day light a few times usually doesn't get below 20C

....I have had success in the past and a local farmer grows a few varieties
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby The_Toecutter » Sun 02 Oct 2022, 15:54:32

AdamB wrote:
Range anxiety in gassers doesn't exist with even half assed trip planning across North America. Including to Prudhoe Bay Alaska or Goose Bay Labrador. Could come in handy in Mongolia or Siberia perhaps?

You can still run out of fuel if you're not paying attention, or if the nearest gas station within range of what remains in your tank is closed. And you can usually purchase gasoline in most places, if you have the money for it, but what if you don't? This design was done in consideration of the possibility that gasoline may not be as readily or easily available as it is today, and the same for electricity. That said, if there were an affordable light-weight fuel cell that could strip electricity by breaking down gasoline or ethanol, you best believe I'd have one for my vehicle, just to increase its versatility in possible fueling options. So yeah, having the ability to take this to Mongolia or Siberia if the need ever arose, is basically part of the design constraint, even if going to those places isn't an explicit goal.

Fueling options that are either present or very soon to be implemented:

-grid electricity
-pedaling
-regenerative braking
-solar electricity

Any combination of the above, or any above item in isolation, can move the vehicle.

I can run the human drivetrain and electric drivetrain independently of each other. If there's no grid electricity available, I'll have solar panels, which could easily give 50-60 miles per day(the math suggests that at least, but haven't gotten the chance to test this). If the solar panels fail and there's no grid electricity, I could pedal it up a hill and re-capture some energy on the downhill, and perhaps over 300 miles of riding in hilly areas I'll be able to fully recharge my battery pack and get 150-200 miles of motorized range. If the electric drive system fails, it's still pedalable. If the bicycle drivetrain fails, it still has an electric drive system.

Being able to run it on gasoline or diesel or ethanol or similar would fir the overarching philosophy in its design. That being, off-grid rapid transportation. I could even tow a homemade camper trailer with it, and that greatly negatively impacts range. Being able to use gasoline would be worth the expense in such a scenario where such a trailer is towed for long distances, but if one makes enough stops with functioning outlets to plug into, gasoline will still be purely optional. Unfortunately, gasoline engines are much too heavy for this application, but damn would a small fuel cell stack and a half gallon storage container for fuel go a VERY long way with this vehicle, even towing an unaerodynamic trailer.
The unnecessary felling of a tree, perhaps the old growth of centuries, seems to me a crime little short of murder. ~Thomas Jefferson
The_Toecutter
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Sun 02 Oct 2022, 17:17:36

The_Toecutter wrote:
AdamB wrote:

You can still run out of fuel if you're not paying attention, or if the nearest gas station within range of what remains in your tank is closed.

Indeed. And you can fall in your kitchen while carrying a butter knife and die from it when you trip and it goes into your eye. It isn't that running out of fuel is impossible, only that it likely happens to folks pushing their luck with what's left in their tank as opposed to normal folks with brains and a modicum of care. The odds of pedals being needed are probably less than the odds of me needing all the other things a heavier and mass produced vehicle contains.

Toe_Cutter wrote:And you can usually purchase gasoline in most places, if you have the money for it, but what if you don't?

Then you don't go on the trip in the first place, and walk or take a bicycle. I'm betting it costs less at the local pawnship or WalMart than what you need to charge to make money on your 3-wheeler.

Toe_Cutter wrote: If the electric drive system fails, it's still pedalable. If the bicycle drivetrain fails, it still has an electric drive system.

I am aware of your sales brochure at this point. Tesla had some good ideas as well. Most folks nowadays probably think it is the name of a car company rather than an early genius innovator. The translation of a good idea to a commercial product can be quite difficult, with or without a working prototype you could build. Good luck, but have you attempted any work to determine the size of thee market for this type of vehicle? And what people would be willing to pay for it? I know what YOU might think the enthusism level is, but I'm guessing my estimate would be quite different. Any work or thoughts in regard to this?
What does a science denier look like?

Armageddon » Thu 09 Feb 2006, 10:47:28
whales are a perfect example as to why evolution is wrong. Nothing can evolve into something that enormous. There is no explanation for it getting that big. end of discussion
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Previous

Return to Peak Oil Discussion