Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Greta Thunberg's Voyage Pt. 2

Re: Greta Thunberg's Voyage Pt. 2

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 07 Nov 2019, 11:49:35

Ibon,

So what happened to the Hippies, eh?

They were all so self righteous about how the adults had f’ed the world and they were gonna fix it. An yet, here we are.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby EnergyUnlimited » Thu 07 Nov 2019, 12:22:15

Ibon wrote:They will mature well and most likely put us to shame, mostly because external constraints will start forcing them to make hard choices but also because they will be inspired by the total cynicism and ineptitude of baby boomers who failed to deal with important issues. They will be driven to do better and not be so indolent as we have been.

This remain to be seen.
My bet is that they will panic once their smartphone went dark. How will they find home without Google navigation after all? What about followers from Facebook? Sky is falling!

Substantial majority of millenials do not have resourceful father like your daughters do.
Our cynicism will certainly help but only our kids.
Because despite of what we say, we are still comparatively wealthy people who are sitting in personal ivory towers and with a bottle of Martini at hand discussing "what could be done to save a planet".
EnergyUnlimited
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby aspera » Thu 07 Nov 2019, 12:25:51

Newfie wrote:And the trend is moving toward more youngsters being snowflakes.

Do we have data on this? A citation?

I know this claim is made, often. But vivid, easily shared examples (and the wonders of the internet) could make it seem endemic when it's not. My experience teaching suggests that there has been an increase in our awareness of them, and their willingness to self-identify. That isn't evidence their numbers have increased. If they have increased as a percentage of the population, is the change truly significant, or just web-fodder?

The term does seem to be an easy tool to diminish and demean others. But I wonder if we're paying too much attention to the wrong end of the bell curve here? There have always been, "...folks who are quickly overwhelmed by life’s travails. Folks who need “safe” spaces because normal daily life is too much." They can be frustrating to observe, let alone work with. But, as the examples above show, there's another end to that curve.

And when it comes to the many human character strengths, it's not just one curve: Justice, Judgment. Dependability, Initiative, Decisiveness. Tact, Integrity, Enthusiasm. Bearing, Unselfishness, Courage, Knowledge, Loyalty, Endurance (JJ did tie buckle). And that's just one group's list of strengths.

From her demonstrated behavior of this last year, Greta Thunberg comes out on the strong side of many of those character strengths. Although, I'd score her low on "tact" but maybe that's her power in these conversations. After all, how much tact should I expect from a 16 year old talking to a member of the generations who created the climate crisis eliminating some of her future paths?
Oceans rise, empires fall.
Plant a garden. Soon.
aspera
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Ibon » Thu 07 Nov 2019, 13:18:58

Newfie wrote:Ibon,

So what happened to the Hippies, eh?

They were all so self righteous about how the adults had f’ed the world and they were gonna fix it. An yet, here we are.

Hippies, like all groups, were made up of followers of the current trend of the moment. When Ronald Reagan rejected Carter's restraint on materialism and said that it was Morning in America Again the vast majority of those "hippies" became "yuppies". That is exactly what happened. They went from following one trend to another.

Some of us however did stay true to some of those ideals and made smart choices later in life.
Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 07 Nov 2019, 13:41:55

Hippies, like all groups...

Also, mostly because it is funny ....

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/w ... compliment
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby EnergyUnlimited » Thu 07 Nov 2019, 13:46:01

aspera wrote:From her demonstrated behavior of this last year, Greta Thunberg comes out on the strong side of many of those character strengths. Although, I'd score her low on "tact" but maybe that's her power in these conversations. After all, how much tact should I expect from a 16 year old talking to a member of the generations who created the climate crisis eliminating some of her future paths?

And yet she cries that Facebook do not censor her opponents:
Credit for a link: Plantagenet.
https://www.aol.com/article/news/2019/1 ... ocRQVLN8mR

Still a snowflake. Stirred by parents but a snowflake.

Mind you, her message is factually correct: There is a big trouble with CC of course. But I doubt that her style will convince many outside of far left.
Hence her plea is becoming politicized (Antifa parents, far left support etc) and muted by the same.
She and her like may end up used horribly once banksters will need to unravel economy for entirely different reasons.
EnergyUnlimited
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby asg70 » Thu 07 Nov 2019, 14:01:18

Most forms of activism these days only preach to the converted and builds resentment from dissenters. Greta's is no different.

Wake me when someone actually causes waves of people to break ranks and switch sides.

HALL OF SHAME:
-Short welched on a bet and should be shunned.
-Frequent-flyers should not cry crocodile-tears over climate-change.
asg70
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby aspera » Thu 07 Nov 2019, 14:03:30

EnergyUnlimited wrote:... her message is factually correct

Let's see:
Her message is factually correct.
She has the support of the far left.
She has the support of others (i.e., some here on this site).
She has galvanized members of her age group.
She has the support of her parents.
She speaks truth to power.
She has little time for boomer apologists (e.g., "that idea belongs in a museum").
She points out weird responses from other climate activists (e.g., "how dare you turn to us for hope").

Ah, but she's flawed:
She's imperfect.
She can be hurt emotionally.
She can lash out in inconsistent ways.
She's allowed her parents to have an influence on her development.
She's not up-to-date on how powerful bankers can be.
She's unable to stop others from politicizing her plea.

And therefore, being flawed, what? She deserves none of our support? She does deserve our derision? We shouldn't try to re-frame her pleas for our social group?

What should be our next step here? To just forget about her entirely, while waiting for the perfect individual? Only listen after someone "causes waves of people to break ranks and switch sides."

The best is the enemy of the good. Maybe we need to satisfice here: Greta's good enough for now.
Last edited by aspera on Thu 07 Nov 2019, 14:13:59, edited 2 times in total.
Plant a garden. Soon.
aspera
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 07 Nov 2019, 14:09:01

aspera wrote:
Newfie wrote:And the trend is moving toward more youngsters being snowflakes.

Do we have data on this? A citation?

I know this claim is made, often. But vivid, easily shared examples (and the wonders of the internet) could make it seem endemic when it's not. My experience teaching suggests that there has been an increase in our awareness of them, and their willingness to self-identify. That isn't evidence their numbers have increased. If they have increased as a percentage of the population, is the change truly significant, or just web-fodder?

The term does seem to be an easy tool to diminish and demean others. But I wonder if we're paying too much attention to the wrong end of the bell curve here? There have always been, "...folks who are quickly overwhelmed by life’s travails. Folks who need “safe” spaces because normal daily life is too much." They can be frustrating to observe, let alone work with. But, as the examples above show, there's another end to that curve.

And when it comes to the many human character strengths, it's not just one curve: Justice, Judgment. Dependability, Initiative, Decisiveness. Tact, Integrity, Enthusiasm. Bearing, Unselfishness, Courage, Knowledge, Loyalty, Endurance (JJ did tie buckle). And that's just one group's list of strengths.

From her demonstrated behavior of this last year, Greta Thunberg comes out on the strong side of many of those character strengths. Although, I'd score her low on "tact" but maybe that's her power in these conversations. After all, how much tact should I expect from a 16 year old talking to a member of the generations who created the climate crisis eliminating some of her future paths?

Those are not the attributes I’m talking about. I’m referring to knowing ones body , the heft of a shovel, how to let an ax fall so that you can do it all day. I’m talking about knowing you body, being in touch with power, pain, and resolution. Knowing what will and will not kill you .

Of course there are no stats on that, it’s forgotten, that’s the point .

(Both thumbs in bandages, that’s my excuse)
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby asg70 » Thu 07 Nov 2019, 14:10:01

aspera wrote:What should be our next step here? To just forget about her entirely?

What happened with Al Gore? What happened with Bill McKibben? What happened with James Hansen? What happened with DiCaprio and 11th Hour? Harrison Ford and Years of Living Dangerously?

This constant search for some Moses to lead us to the promised land is a waste of time. It's not a choice we make as individuals. Society decides collectively to brush them under the rug and keep moving on with BAU.

HALL OF SHAME:
-Short welched on a bet and should be shunned.
-Frequent-flyers should not cry crocodile-tears over climate-change.
asg70
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby aspera » Thu 07 Nov 2019, 14:12:41

Newfie wrote:I’m referring to knowing ones body, the heft of a shovel, how to let an ax fall so that you can do it all day. I’m talking about knowing you body, being in touch with power, pain, and resolution. Knowing what will and will not kill you.

Those attributes are covered by "knowledge" in the list.
Plant a garden. Soon.
aspera
Peat
Peat

Unread postby aspera » Thu 07 Nov 2019, 14:21:59

asg70 wrote:This constant search for some Moses to lead us to the promised land is a waste of time.

I agree with that. I prefer satisficing in these situations. And satisficing precludes waiting for Moses, no? It's about being reality-based, working with what you got, being pragmatic. But then not bringing it down because, geez, it's not perfect.
Plant a garden. Soon.
aspera
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Ibon » Thu 07 Nov 2019, 14:45:33

Newfie wrote:
Those are not the attributes I’m talking about. I’m referring to knowing ones body , the heft of a shovel, how to let an ax fall so that you can do it all day. I’m talking about knowing you body, being in touch with power, pain, and resolution. Knowing what will and will not kill you .

If that is your definition then the vast majority of baby boomers are snowflakes as well.
Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 07 Nov 2019, 15:46:47

Greta tweeted that she will be joining a student led climate strike at the government center in Charlotte North Carolina on Friday

twitter.com/GretaThunberg/status

After leading climate strikes in major west coast cities Greta is on her way back to the east coast. Hopefully some kind and generous yacht owner will meet her there, and transport her back to Europe in time for the COP25 meeting in Madrid.

Look out, UN COP25 Climate Change meeting. Don't you dare try to hide your failure to act on climate change. Greta Thunberg is coming to hold you ACCOUNTABLE!!!!!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby The_Toecutter » Thu 07 Nov 2019, 16:05:10

I apologize for the late response. I have a lot more to say, but that will come later, maybe in a series of new topics so as not to drag this one too far off subject again. I've been doubling down on the job search for something that pays well, but still only received one call the entire time. Hundreds of more applications/resumes sent. I'm pretty damned sure the economy is totally fucked, in spite of the TV news saying otherwise. The crap job I currently have that is well beneath my capabilities took me well over 1,000 applications to get. I'm glad to have it, as much as it sucks. The managers all seem to like me there because I actually do the tasks assigned instead of staring at a "smart" device most of the time. But it is a job that one doesn't even need a grade school education to perform adequately, and it's rather sad that it is all I can get with my education thus far(that doesn't involve whoring myself out to defense contractors and becoming part of the problem) after moving back home to help my mother. I'm so glad that student loan is gone or I'd likely be totally fucked with no way out.

EnergyUnlimited wrote:
Even Toecutter who complains how exploited he is has higher education in prospective field, no debt, home to live, with mom but still, more spare money than his peers

My former employer made more money off my work than I did. And it's not just that. It's all the taxes taken out used to fund wars/surveillance/corporate subsidies I disagreed with. It's the student loan interest I had to pay along the way to get a permission slip to work called a degree. All of that is money that if it were in my hands instead of taken from me, it would be greatly life changing for the better, and not only would I have many of my life's goals accomplished, I'd have no worries. You see, other people made somewhere in the mid to upper 6 figures off of my work, and yet I'm one step above living in the gutter AFTER being careful with my resources.

And it's not just that. It's also the mortgage interest on my mom's house that has been paid thus far exceeding the value of the house, AND all of the fees/regulations/permits required to keep it up and the fact that it is falling apart and not up to code which could cause her to lose it(the city is not going to pay for all of the things it is forcing us to abide by, after all, and could condemn the property if it found out what was wrong with it, and I'm not making nearly enough to fix it and the cost of repairs needed likely matches or exceeds the value of the property).

This gross disparity between the value one produces and what one is allowed to keep exists for the majority of working people in some form. There's a small group of billionaire parasites who don't work for a living being fed off of that. They get most of the benefits from the growth caused by burning the hydrocarbons, but will they get most of the negatives from the collapse when it arrives or from the changing environment due to climate change? I somehow doubt it. Privatizing the profits and socializing the losses is the current paradigm. It is exploitation.

And it's not just in the area of capital to labor relations. It's with all of the civil liberties violations, the stifling of dissent, the forced political correctness, the creeping monetization of every aspect of daily existence, all designed to funnel money to this group. The statistics bear out who is being most served by the existing societal constructs, and it is NOT the society as a whole, or even most of the people living within it. Yet EVERYONE has to bear the consequences to some extent, to an extent usually inversely proportional to their wealth.

and enough of spare money to indulge in hobbies like private construction of high range, state of the art EV.

That EV was put together over more than 15 years of careful planning and saving. I was in high school when I designed it. It's not finished, but it is close. Not having it finished and demonstrable cost me more than one dream job working with the tech in the late 00s. I bought the batteries early this decade. All it needs is a few odds and ends(paintjob, new wheels, new tires, ect), which will cost around $2,000-3,000 to finish. The amount of profit margin some hacks in suits extracted off of my work the first year I started working at an engineering firm exceeds the amount it cost to build this project which took me well over a decade to put together from start to finish(I have less than $20,000 sunk into it, MOST of that in batteries). The amount of taxes extracted from my pay over 3 years also exceeds the cost to put this project together. The amount I paid in student loan interest(not counting principal) also exceeds the cost to put this project together. Think about that for a minute.

The other EV(not yet an EV at least, but will become one), the velomobile, will only need about $1,500 or so to finish, less than it will cost to finish the car, and that will take me no less than 3 months to set aside, assuming I don't have to part with that money for something more necessary as has happened too many times already. It has priority over the car because I use it on a daily basis for transportation. It's cheaper than and more convenient than taking the bus, and I put more than 500 miles a month on it, driven completely by my own power. I use it for all regional transport and have ridden more than 70 miles from home in it. I am working on the next body shell, with hopes of getting the drag low enough that I can pedal it to more than 40 mph on flat ground, without any motor at all. This way, when I put a motor in it, the possibility exists of needing only one horsepower to do highway speeds, getting the equivalent of thousands of miles per gallon in terms of energy usage. That prototype is then going to be used as a test mule for various concepts, because I have in mind building a car off of this concept that potentially could get thousands of miles to the gallon equivalent, while being able to perform like a fast motorcycle(and be pedalled on a bike path with the motor off if desired). My friend has a shop we're working on a project at, *if* he can keep it and not lose it to some greedy 0.1%er who used to date his father who is doing everything she can to strip him of it(including false assault charges). We might be done already with a prototype we designed if it wasn't for the ankle monitor he's been forced to wear.

Most people in the U.S. don't have $400 for an emergency. Most people in the U.S. don't have any spare income at all and live paycheck to paycheck. Just having the little bit of crumbs I have puts me ahead because I have a goal in mind and I don't blow it on bullshit. It is not much money, and if I lost my current income stream, I'd go destitute in a month or two. It's still more "play" money than most. That's not saying much. If I couldn't stay in my mother's house and take advantage of the cheap mortgage, I'd still be employed, but living on the street, since rent would come close to or even exceed 100% of my takehome pay. By the end of the year, I'll be lucky if I made $4,000 net income, and maybe get to set aside $1,500 of that to finish one of my projects. Maybe, if everything goes according to plan.

As far as annual income in the U.S. goes, I'm currently in the bottom quartile, and I have enough savings to last a bit over a month if I lost my current low wage job. That level of savings puts me in the upper third. That's scary to think about.

=======================================

Back to the topic, I don't think anyone here posted about how Greta rejected an award with more than $50,000USD in prize money, on principle:

https://www.unionjournalism.com/2019/11/04/greta-thunberg-rejected-to-be-awarded-with-nordics-environmental-award-51000-in-prize-money/
The unnecessary felling of a tree, perhaps the old growth of centuries, seems to me a crime little short of murder. ~Thomas Jefferson
The_Toecutter
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby The_Toecutter » Thu 07 Nov 2019, 16:34:23

EnergyUnlimited wrote:My bet is that they will panic once their smartphone went dark. How will they find home without Google navigation after all? What about followers from Facebook? Sky is falling!

People my age think I'm a freak for getting around without navigation or not joining social media to be further exploited. I don't even use a smart phone.

Most first worlders are undergoing a mass electronic hallucination. If/when the bits and bytes stop flowing, it could become very interesting. Without the mass electronic distraction, people would more plainly see how much worse things have gotten over the last 20 years in the 1st world nations. Even in a powerdown scenario, that scenario of the screens going dark may not happen though, as it takes surprisingly little resources to run this when compared to other uses for the glut of energy humans have availed themselves, a glut which a tiny minority are squandering greatly more than the other groups.

Because despite of what we say, we are still comparatively wealthy people who are sitting in personal ivory towers and with a bottle of Martini at hand discussing "what could be done to save a planet".

My personal "ivory tower" is only such compared to the poor in the 3rd and 5th world countries. As far as the U.S. goes, I've been living in the ghetto most of my life. Perhaps not a martini in hand, maybe a 40 oz of malt liquor. I've seen plenty of awful things that I will have to share with this forum some time. There's plenty of evidence for collapse all around us, and plenty enough evidence that things may not play out like some zombie movie as well. Humans are a mixed bag.
The unnecessary felling of a tree, perhaps the old growth of centuries, seems to me a crime little short of murder. ~Thomas Jefferson
The_Toecutter
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 07 Nov 2019, 16:54:33

Ibon wrote:
Newfie wrote:

If that is your definition then the vast majority of baby boomers are snowflakes as well.

Agreed.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 07 Nov 2019, 16:58:25

aspera wrote:
Newfie wrote:I’m referring to knowing ones body, the heft of a shovel, how to let an ax fall so that you can do it all day. I’m talking about knowing you body, being in touch with power, pain, and resolution. Knowing what will and will not kill you.

Those attributes are covered by "knowledge" in the list.

Ha! That’s a pretty damn broad definition of knowledge. “Body knowledge” works in this direction but is still too vague. Don’t have the right term handy. “Deep self knowledge” works in the right direction. But then there is more to that than what I discussed.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 07 Nov 2019, 17:46:39

The_Toecutter wrote:. I've been doubling down on the job search for something that pays well, but still only received one call the entire time. Hundreds of more applications/resumes sent. I'm pretty damned sure the economy is totally fucked, in spite of the TV news saying otherwise. The crap job I currently have that is well beneath my capabilities took me well over 1,000 applications to get.....By the end of the year, I'll be lucky if I made $4,000 net income, and maybe get to set aside $1,500 .....]

Have you considered applying to the US Census? There was just a story on NPR about how they can’t find enough workers. Its a government job with bennies, and starts at about $15-24 bucks an hour.

https://uscensusbureau.everyjobforme.com/

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby careinke » Fri 08 Nov 2019, 03:38:56

The_Toecutter wrote:I apologize for the late response. I have a lot more to say, but that will come later, maybe in a series of new topics so as not to drag this one too far off subject again. I've been doubling down on the job search for something that pays well, but still only received one call the entire time. Hundreds of more applications/resumes sent. I'm pretty damned sure the economy is totally fucked, in spite of the TV news saying otherwise. The crap job I currently have that is well beneath my capabilities took me well over 1,000 applications to get. I'm glad to have it, as much as it sucks. The managers all seem to like me there because I actually do the tasks assigned instead of staring at a "smart" device most of the time. But it is a job that one doesn't even need a grade school education to perform adequately, and it's rather sad that it is all I can get with my education thus far(that doesn't involve whoring myself out to defense contractors and becoming part of the problem) after moving back home to help my mother. I'm so glad that student loan is gone or I'd likely be totally fucked with no way out.

EnergyUnlimited wrote:
Even Toecutter who complains how exploited he is has higher education in prospective field, no debt, home to live, with mom but still, more spare money than his peers

My former employer made more money off my work than I did. And it's not just that. It's all the taxes taken out used to fund wars/surveillance/corporate subsidies I disagreed with. It's the student loan interest I had to pay along the way to get a permission slip to work called a degree. All of that is money that if it were in my hands instead of taken from me, it would be greatly life changing for the better, and not only would I have many of my life's goals accomplished, I'd have no worries. You see, other people made somewhere in the mid to upper 6 figures off of my work, and yet I'm one step above living in the gutter AFTER being careful with my resources.

And it's not just that. It's also the mortgage interest on my mom's house that has been paid thus far exceeding the value of the house, AND all of the fees/regulations/permits required to keep it up and the fact that it is falling apart and not up to code which could cause her to lose it(the city is not going to pay for all of the things it is forcing us to abide by, after all, and could condemn the property if it found out what was wrong with it, and I'm not making nearly enough to fix it and the cost of repairs needed likely matches or exceeds the value of the property).

This gross disparity between the value one produces and what one is allowed to keep exists for the majority of working people in some form. There's a small group of billionaire parasites who don't work for a living being fed off of that. They get most of the benefits from the growth caused by burning the hydrocarbons, but will they get most of the negatives from the collapse when it arrives or from the changing environment due to climate change? I somehow doubt it. Privatizing the profits and socializing the losses is the current paradigm. It is exploitation.

And it's not just in the area of capital to labor relations. It's with all of the civil liberties violations, the stifling of dissent, the forced political correctness, the creeping monetization of every aspect of daily existence, all designed to funnel money to this group. The statistics bear out who is being most served by the existing societal constructs, and it is NOT the society as a whole, or even most of the people living within it. Yet EVERYONE has to bear the consequences to some extent, to an extent usually inversely proportional to their wealth.

and enough of spare money to indulge in hobbies like private construction of high range, state of the art EV.

That EV was put together over more than 15 years of careful planning and saving. I was in high school when I designed it. It's not finished, but it is close. Not having it finished and demonstrable cost me more than one dream job working with the tech in the late 00s. I bought the batteries early this decade. All it needs is a few odds and ends(paintjob, new wheels, new tires, ect), which will cost around $2,000-3,000 to finish. The amount of profit margin some hacks in suits extracted off of my work the first year I started working at an engineering firm exceeds the amount it cost to build this project which took me well over a decade to put together from start to finish(I have less than $20,000 sunk into it, MOST of that in batteries). The amount of taxes extracted from my pay over 3 years also exceeds the cost to put this project together. The amount I paid in student loan interest(not counting principal) also exceeds the cost to put this project together. Think about that for a minute.

The other EV(not yet an EV at least, but will become one), the velomobile, will only need about $1,500 or so to finish, less than it will cost to finish the car, and that will take me no less than 3 months to set aside, assuming I don't have to part with that money for something more necessary as has happened too many times already. It has priority over the car because I use it on a daily basis for transportation. It's cheaper than and more convenient than taking the bus, and I put more than 500 miles a month on it, driven completely by my own power. I use it for all regional transport and have ridden more than 70 miles from home in it. I am working on the next body shell, with hopes of getting the drag low enough that I can pedal it to more than 40 mph on flat ground, without any motor at all. This way, when I put a motor in it, the possibility exists of needing only one horsepower to do highway speeds, getting the equivalent of thousands of miles per gallon in terms of energy usage. That prototype is then going to be used as a test mule for various concepts, because I have in mind building a car off of this concept that potentially could get thousands of miles to the gallon equivalent, while being able to perform like a fast motorcycle(and be pedalled on a bike path with the motor off if desired). My friend has a shop we're working on a project at, *if* he can keep it and not lose it to some greedy 0.1%er who used to date his father who is doing everything she can to strip him of it(including false assault charges). We might be done already with a prototype we designed if it wasn't for the ankle monitor he's been forced to wear.

Most people in the U.S. don't have $400 for an emergency. Most people in the U.S. don't have any spare income at all and live paycheck to paycheck. Just having the little bit of crumbs I have puts me ahead because I have a goal in mind and I don't blow it on bullshit. It is not much money, and if I lost my current income stream, I'd go destitute in a month or two. It's still more "play" money than most. That's not saying much. If I couldn't stay in my mother's house and take advantage of the cheap mortgage, I'd still be employed, but living on the street, since rent would come close to or even exceed 100% of my takehome pay. By the end of the year, I'll be lucky if I made $4,000 net income, and maybe get to set aside $1,500 of that to finish one of my projects. Maybe, if everything goes according to plan.

As far as annual income in the U.S. goes, I'm currently in the bottom quartile, and I have enough savings to last a bit over a month if I lost my current low wage job. That level of savings puts me in the upper third. That's scary to think about.

=======================================

Back to the topic, I don't think anyone here posted about how Greta rejected an award with more than $50,000USD in prize money, on principle:

https://www.unionjournalism.com/2019/11/04/greta-thunberg-rejected-to-be-awarded-with-nordics-environmental-award-51000-in-prize-money/

Some Advise:

1. The ONLY ethical decision is to take responsibility for our own existence and that of our children. Make it now.

2. Accept where you are in life, and go from there.
You cannot change the past.

3. Learn to use Excel so you can figure out if your financial/life decisions make economic sense.

4. Accept the fact, if you work for someone, their sole reason for hiring you, is to make a profit. Also be aware that you cost more than just your salary to employ. They match your SS, plus pay for the space you occupy, plus the accounting and tax reporting costs, etc. etc. (This is what you need to sell in your cover letter and resume, how are YOU going to make them money.

5. Some ideas for quick cash:
https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/USCENSUS/bulletins/26a4ea9 This is for the US 2020 Census. I'm working this myself, you need to try and work at least 20 hrs per week if you are a field worker. Very flexible work hours and Sundays pay time and a half premiums.

Also, have you considered a go fund me or other type of financial support for your invention? Just be aware, he IRS considers the funds you raise as income.

Finally, IMHO you come across to me as a professional victim, take responsibility for the stuff you can control, and forget about the rest, its just a waste of your time.
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

PreviousNext

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate