Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Global Warming / Climate Changes Pt. 20

Could the garbage heap help save us from global warming?

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Wed 22 Sep 2010, 01:39:44

Could the garbage heap help save us from global warming?

Any gardener knows that compost heaps must be turned regularly. Without access to oxygen, bacteria cannot break down plant material. The principle can be harnessed for carbon capture: All that is necessary is to pile the plants high enough, and the carbon at the bottom will stay put indefinitely. After all, this is how all that coal and oil formed in the first place.
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: Could the garbage heap help save us from global warming?

Unread postby Ludi » Wed 22 Sep 2010, 08:29:24

"Hugelkultur" a method of soil improvement in which large amounts of wood are buried under the soil, could be used for carbon sequestration.

Because the hugel beds absorb and hold a lot of rainwater, they can be used for drought mitigation and watershed restoration also.
Ludi
Anti-Matter
Anti-Matter

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 22 Sep 2010, 23:07:39

By the way, a properly constructed compost pile need not be turned at all (until it is time to 'turn' it into the garden). Much mass is lost with each turning, so while it can speed up the process to constantly turn, it yields less tilth, and more of the carbon (and nitrogen) goes back into the air rather than into the soil.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Tanada » Thu 23 Sep 2010, 05:49:23

Ludi wrote:"Hugelkultur" a method of soil improvement in which large amounts of wood are buried under the soil, could be used for carbon sequestration.

Because the hugel beds absorb and hold a lot of rainwater, they can be used for drought mitigation and watershed restoration also.

I wonder if you could do the same thing with lump charcoal, the natural kind not the quick starting chemically impregnated kind. Interesting stuff, thanx Ludi I had not seen this idea expressed before.
I should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write, balance accounts, build a wall, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby pstarr » Thu 23 Sep 2010, 10:35:49

"The biggest problem with this approach may be that it's so low-tech.
No. The biggest problem is the energy/CO2 cost (in farm tractors, trucking, backhoes, equipment operator food/lodging etc) to collect the material into windrows and the natural anaerobic decomposition of the material into methane, a more serious greenhouse gas. This foolhardy scheme would also steal carbon from the farm soil, rendering it into sterile dirt unfit for crops without additional fertilizers i.e more fossil fuel CO2.

Perhaps the author needs to get out from behind his computer terminal and a take a walk in the real world. Our own sequestration by the Masters in Suburban Consumer Ghettos is good for them, not for the rest of the planet.
SA has peaked. OPEC has peaked. So goes the world.
pstarr
NeoMaster
NeoMaster

Unread postby Ludi » Thu 23 Sep 2010, 11:33:34

Tanada wrote:
I wonder if you could do the same thing with lump charcoal, the natural kind not the quick starting chemically impregnated kind. Interesting stuff, thanx Ludi I had not seen this idea expressed before.

The problem with the charcoal method is the extra work involved with combustion under the proper conditions. Making charcoal is kind of a pain in the butt and a lot of work compared with just digging a hole and filling it with logs. I'm doing hugelkultur in my vegetable garden, all the digging with hand tools, and collecting wood that has naturally fallen or logs that aren't suitable for firewood, and I saw a definite improvement in the beds' ability to hold water during our drought. The un-hugeled part of the garden just kind of died out, whereas the hugel beds stayed green. I posted about my garden here: today-i-made-bought-learnt-for-a-post-oil-world-3-t48540-1560.html

Personally I would not do hugelkultur simply or even primarily for carbon sequestration, but mainly for soil improvement and watershed restoration.

Fast-growing trees could be coppiced regularly and bundles of branches used for hugelkultur. This could all be done with hand tools.

More about it here: http://www.richsoil.com/hugelkultur/

And here: http://www.permies.com/permaculture-for ... ugelkultur
Ludi
Anti-Matter
Anti-Matter

Unread postby Ludi » Thu 23 Sep 2010, 11:36:06

pstarr wrote:This foolhardy scheme would also steal carbon from the farm soil, rendering it into sterile dirt unfit for crops without additional fertilizers i.e more fossil fuel CO2.

As we keep saying repeatedly, there is no such thing as "agricultural waste" - all those materials should be returned to the soil from whence they came.
Ludi
Anti-Matter
Anti-Matter

Harris Poll On Global Warming

Unread postby peeker01 » Mon 22 Aug 2011, 18:15:11

Excellent summary of why AGW religion is going down the tubes.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11233/1168499-373-0.stm
peeker01
permanently banned

Re: Harris Poll On Global Warming

Unread postby ralfy » Tue 23 Aug 2011, 05:06:14

A poll?

Re: the bullet points in the list, consult NAS reports.
http://sites.google.com/site/peakoilreports/
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby peeker01 » Tue 23 Aug 2011, 12:01:44

Second paragraph.
peeker01
permanently banned

Unread postby Pretorian » Tue 23 Aug 2011, 13:34:34

Peeker, do you believe that you have unlimited shitting rights? Does everyone have those or you are being special here? Do you believe the right to shit should be in the Constitution?
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby peeker01 » Tue 23 Aug 2011, 14:05:04

I am discussing AGW and PO. You, on the other hand, are being abusive and using fowl language.
peeker01
permanently banned

Global Warming Tax starts 2015 in California

Unread postby timmac » Thu 28 Aug 2014, 01:16:31

Thanks to the Al Gore rip-off crowd gas tax to increase in California to highest gas tax in America due to so called Global Warming that is not the cause of fossil fuels..

Californians already pay the nation's second highest gas tax at 68 cents a gallon -- and now it will go up again in January to pay for a first-in-the-nation climate change law.

"I didn't know that," said Los Angeles motorist Tyler Rich. "It's ridiculous."

"I think it’s terrible," added Lupe Sanchez, pumping $4.09-a-gallon gas at a Chevron near Santa Monica. "The economy, the way it is right now with jobs and everything, it's just crazy."

When gas prices go up, motorists typically blame oil companies, Arab sheiks and Wall Street speculators. This time they can blame Sacramento and former Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger for passing a bill requiring California to reduce carbon emissions to 1990 levels by 2020.

The tax on carbon already raised about $1 billion in revenue by requiring manufacturers and utilities to buy credits for each ton of carbon emitted into the atmosphere. At the beginning of next year, the law will also apply to oil and gas. Refiners and distributors say they will pass another $2 billion in costs on - largely to consumers.

"Ultimately it hurts the consumer," said California Independent Oil and Marketing Association spokesman Mike Rohrer. "It is going to affect anyone who has a vehicle. Be it a motorist that is commuting back and forth to work or a trucker just moving goods throughout the state of California, the cost is immediately going to increase because whatever we have to pay for in carbon credits ultimately we have to pass through to the consumer."

Estimates of the cost of the tax vary. The California Air Resources Board, the Golden State's premier anti-pollution agency, predicts the new tax will raise gasoline prices from 20 cents to $1.30 per gallon. A prominent state senator who helped author the bill estimated the cost at 40 cents a gallon. Environmental activists downplay the cost, but hail the impact.

"We're going to now tackle probably 40 percent of greenhouse gas emissions in the state that are emitted mostly through transportation - oil and gas use," said Climate Resolve Executive Director Jonathan Parfrey.

The cost of the climate change law never was spelled out in the original bill in 2010, which did not even include transportation fuels.But any meaningful climate change law would have to address driving, the state's largest single source of pollution. By raising the price, officials hope to reduce the number of miles driven as consumers are forced to consider options.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/08/27/california-hidden-gas-tax/

Just as I have said the GW is all about money and nothing to do with GW, its a rip off and I hope you GW tards are happy with paying more taxes for fucking nothing..

If you thinks its stops here guess again, coming to your state soon..

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
timmac
permanently banned

Re: Global Warming Tax starts 2015 in California

Unread postby Subjectivist » Thu 28 Aug 2014, 04:06:52

I try to be philosophical about it and consider gas tax as preperation for the next stage of peak oil.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby timmac » Thu 28 Aug 2014, 14:55:32

Is what I want to know is how much is Al Gore getting out of this gas tax, his flying around telling lies about GW to collect GW tax for him and his cronies is treason in my words..

I suspect 5 years from now 10 percent of all our wages will go to a GW tax of sort, this does not include the current tax we pay now.
timmac
permanently banned

Unread postby GASMON » Thu 28 Aug 2014, 15:41:47

Of course you have to pay the Global Warming tax, how else can your "leaders" be expected to keep up their living standards ??

Suckers !!!!!

Gas
The truth is sometimes incorrect
GASMON
Prognosticator
Prognosticator

310,000 in NYC & World: Climate Action Now!

Unread postby dohboi » Sun 21 Sep 2014, 22:46:38

More Than 310,000 People Descend On New York To March For Climate Action

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2014/0 ... ate-march/

“My expectation is that we will set the scene for Paris next year,” George Ferguson, mayor of Bristol in the United Kingdom, told ThinkProgress. Ferguson came to the U.S. to attend the march and facilitate climate action at the local level. “If we can show a level of determination and unity at this time it will promise well for real movement next year.”

Ferguson said that mayors and city leaders are much closer to the solutions for climate change as well as the results of climate change. He said Bristol is a coastal city that has experienced heavy flooding recently “and that can only get more severe — but it’s nowhere near what we’ve seen on other continents.”
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Re: 310,000 in NYC & World: Climate Action Now!

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sun 21 Sep 2014, 23:08:28

The chances of new binding UN climate treaty coming out of this UN meeting in New York are nil and zero.

The negotiations in Bali in 2007 produced a new binding UN climate treaty to replace the Kyoto treaty, and the world's leaders went to Copenhagen to sign the new UN climate treaty in 2009, but unfortunately Obama got into a dumb personal quarrel with the Chinese leader there and the resultant quarrel derailed the whole climate treaty process in Copenhagen. The UN treaty process is now so far off the tracks that I doubt we'll ever see a meaningful and binding post-Kyoto UN climate treaty ratified. Certainly there is no hope of moving towards a binding post-Kyoto UN Treaty until after Obama leaves office.

Obama's insulting treatment of China's leader at the 2009 Copenhagen meeting derailed the UN treaty process and blocked the signing of a post-Kyoto UN climate change treaty there.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dohboi » Sun 21 Sep 2014, 23:10:44

Thanks for the encouraging words, ! :lol: :P :cry:
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sun 21 Sep 2014, 23:42:10

Its just how it is.

They're not even trying for a binding UN climate treaty any more. The best we can hope for from the New York meeting is that they'll come up guidelines and suggestions on CO2 reduction that countries can sign up for, but then freely withdraw from or break without penalty. 8)
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate