Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Extinction rebellion

Re: Extinction rebellion

Unread postby EnergyUnlimited » Tue 12 Feb 2019, 04:34:55

dohboi wrote:But, also, in the current moment, yes, we have to address the now global culture that perpetuates the travesty.

We could, we would, we have to...
But we won't.
Either Mother Nature will adress it somehow in mild manner (say by sending us an epidemic capable to wipe out 90%) or full blown ecocalypse will follow.
EnergyUnlimited
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 12 Feb 2019, 13:29:17

EnergyUnlimited wrote:
dohboi wrote:But, also, in the current moment, yes, we have to address the now global culture that perpetuates the travesty.

We could, we would, we have to...
But we won't.
Either Mother Nature will adress it somehow in mild manner (say by sending us an epidemic capable to wipe out 90%) or full blown ecocalypse will follow.

Yup.

Humans are apes.

We are pretty smart apes, it is true, but we are still apes.

We like to collect bright shiny things and we like to be dominant in the pack and we like to mate with the dominant female (and she likes the dominant male) and we like to be the loudest and we like to be the biggest baddest ape in the pack.

We are animals.

We can no more change our culture then we can change our human nature....because human nature is our innate animal nature and that is who and what we are. We are programmed by 2 million years of evolution, and set running down a specific track by our DNA.

And, perhaps even more important, we are pack animals. Individuals may question what we are going and where we are going, as we are doing here on this website, but the pack will continue doing the same things the human hunting pack has always done.

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 12 Feb 2019, 14:55:31

Found this this morning and thought I’d find an appropriate use for it somewhere. :-D

FFB8E57C-E94D-4D51-9EE7-ADBF473AC1A0.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby dohboi » Sun 17 Feb 2019, 13:52:01

It would be nice to have more rebellion and less extinction, but...

West Coast’s biggest starfish vanishing amid disease, warming oceans, study finds

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-ne ... eans-warm/
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 17 Feb 2019, 15:29:00

I think in the context of this thread Extinction Rebellion refers to a (British?) protest group. I’ve not found out much about them. Their web site is pretty lame.

https://rebellion.earth

Certinally open for correction if I’m wrong.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby onlooker » Sun 17 Feb 2019, 17:07:23

Newfie wrote:I think in the context of this thread Extinction Rebellion refers to a (British?) protest group. I’ve not found out much about them. Their web site is pretty lame.

https://rebellion.earth

Certinally open for correction if I’m wrong.

"I’ve been with Extinction Rebellion (XR) from the start. I was one of the 15 people in April 2018 who came together and made the collective decision to try to create the conditions that would initiate a rebellion. I was a coordinator of one of the original five working groups, and I’ve been organising with XR day-and-night since then (frugally living off my savings so I don’t have to work, having quit an industry that paid me £1000/week). And I’ve been in RisingUp (the organisation from which XR has emerged) since the first RisingUp action in November 2016. I’m a RisingUp Holding Group member, and a member of the XR Guardianship Team."
Correct British based and that is the site
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 17 Feb 2019, 18:29:38

Thanks. What do they DO?
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby onlooker » Mon 18 Feb 2019, 11:16:06

Okay Newf and others read through it: In summary they are about creating a sustainable regenerative culture. How? They say they are about adopting a decentralized form of organization to try and communicate novel ideas and then confront authority and institutions to advocate for change including civil disobediance. They seem entrenched in the UK, for now. They also speak of holding key values and principles that need to be woven into a manifesto and/or constitution
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Previous

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate