Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Europe Fuel Shortage Reports

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Petrol Shortages now expected

Unread postby KevO » Thu 24 Apr 2008, 13:01:35

Never mind the government saying 'don't panic'. These are the same turds that told us that beef was safe to eat....just before half of our cows died..etc

Workers at the Grangemouth oil refinery in Scotland are pressing ahead with a two-day strike after conciliation talks broke down, leading to the shutdown of the refinery and potentially a major pipeline that supplies one-third of the United Kingdom's oil needs.

Ineos will need at least one month to restore full operations at the refinery, raising fears of fuel shortage

Analysts believe the supply disruption could spread if the BP Plc.-operated Forties pipeline, which supplies over 30 percent of the country's oil needs, is forced to shut. The pipeline delivers around 700,000 barrels a day of crude oil from the North Sea to the Grangemouth refinery.

A Unite spokeswoman confirmed the power station at the Grangemouth chemical complex will cease operations during the strike. The power station supplies to BP's Kinneil oil processing facilities.

A BP spokesman said Forties' operations will be "curtailed" if the electricity supplied by the power station is reduced or stopped.

"Without Kinneil, the rest of the pipeline can't run," he said, adding BP and Ineos are still trying to assess the potential impact of the refinery's closure on Forties.

Ineos, BP and the government are preparing contingency measures aimed at preventing serious disruptions to domestic fuel supply, a spokesman at Ineos said

OH DEAR

Oil prices rose above $119 a barrel as oil giant BP prepared to shut down a key North Sea pipeline and a strike at Exxon in Nigeria disrupted production.

BP's Forties pipeline, which provides a third of the UK's daily oil output, will close if a two-day strike by refinery workers goes ahead.

US sweet, light crude rose $3.15 to $119.21 a barrel, while London's Brent crude increased $2.98 to $117.32.

BBC News
Last edited by KevO on Fri 25 Apr 2008, 14:53:59, edited 3 times in total.
KevO
Expert
Expert

Re: 1/3 of UK petrol at risk - GO FILL NOW!

Unread postby peasea » Thu 24 Apr 2008, 13:10:49

naw, that just the scots and the "its grim up north " brigade ,

less petrol ( gas) means they can't petrol bomb the Police so much !

:-)

down south where the gov is at , nothing 's going on , so they don't care............

P.
peasea
Wood
Wood

Unread postby dukey » Thu 24 Apr 2008, 13:11:49

dukey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dorlomin » Thu 24 Apr 2008, 13:27:10

peasea wrote:naw, that just the scots and the "its grim up north " brigade ,

less petrol ( gas) means they can't petrol bomb the Police so much !

:-)

down south where the gov is at , nothing 's going on , so they don't care............

P.
Analysts believe the supply disruption could spread if the BP Plc.-operated Forties pipeline, which supplies over 30 percent of the country's oil needs, is forced to shut. The pipeline delivers around 700,000 barrels a day of crude oil from the North Sea to the Grangemouth refinery.

Nothing to see here.
dorlomin
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby KevO » Fri 25 Apr 2008, 09:03:25

dorlomin wrote:Nothing to see here.

Speaking to the BBC, the minister warned the public against panic buying but admitted there were "logistical" problems getting fuel to some forecourts.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7366367.stm

as I advised, go fill or be prepared to queue next week
KevO
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dorlomin » Fri 25 Apr 2008, 09:33:08

Sorry I was being a touch sarcastic at the poster quoted that with 700 000 barrels 'shut in' there was "nothing to see".

My little rover has a full tank and my have enough food sorted for the month in the event of delivary issues.
dorlomin
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: Oil climbs $3 on UK supply fears - GO FILL NOW!

Unread postby KevO » Fri 25 Apr 2008, 14:10:28

with the US attacking Iran, the Syria/NK nuke story and a third of all petrol to be lost in the UK for up to a month - things are sure going to get interesting.

LONDON (AFP) - British motorists could face petrol shortages in the next few days after one of the country's biggest oil refineries shut down Friday ahead of a strike over pensions.
ADVERTISEMENT

Energy minister Malcolm Wicks admitted the strike could hit petrol supplies and urged people to behave "sensibly and rationally."

"I cannot guarantee that every garage, every forecourt when you turn up to fill up your car is going to have the petrol at that precise moment, of course not," he told BBC radio

here we go.
where are the troops when you need them?

oh yeah.

LINK
KevO
Expert
Expert

Re: Petrol Shortages now expected - GO FILL NOW!

Unread postby Twilight » Fri 25 Apr 2008, 14:31:21

It might be a problem for Scotland, but I am not convinced we will see a physical impact nationwide. It depends on crowd psychology I suppose.
Twilight
Expert
Expert

Re: Petrol Shortages now expected - GO FILL NOW!

Unread postby KevO » Fri 25 Apr 2008, 14:36:31

Twilight wrote:It might be a problem for Scotland, but I am not convinced we will see a physical impact nationwide. It depends on crowd psychology I suppose.

well everyone in our house has gone and filled up.
so _we_ are as fuelled up as Mr Max

:wink:
KevO
Expert
Expert

Unread postby mos6507 » Fri 25 Apr 2008, 14:42:42

KevO wrote:with the US attacking Iran

They aren't attacking Iran. They fired a couple warning shots and it isn't even the first time that's happened.
mos6507

Unread postby KevO » Fri 25 Apr 2008, 14:45:11

mos6507 wrote:
KevO wrote:with the US attacking Iran

They aren't attacking Iran. They fired a couple warning shots and it isn't even the first time that's happened.

OK. They are firing at Iran (Iranian boats are Iran), 'warning' shots or otherwise.
I'm a bigger pedant than you, so there
KevO
Expert
Expert

Unread postby mos6507 » Fri 25 Apr 2008, 15:23:11

KevO wrote:OK. They are firing at Iran (Iranian boats are Iran), 'warning' shots or otherwise.
I'm a bigger pedant than you, so there

The warships are there to enforce UN sanctions. If they were not willing to fire under the right conditions then it would be a farce (like the wimpy UK soldiers who allowed themselves to get kidnapped).
mos6507

Re: Petrol Shortages now expected

Unread postby EnergyUnlimited » Fri 25 Apr 2008, 15:34:50

KevO wrote:Never mind the government saying 'don't panic'. These are the same turds that told us that beef was safe to eat....just before half of our cows died..etc

It was certainly safe to eat for daughter of UK agriculture and fisheries ministry (MAF).
I have seen it in TV so it must be true.
:-D
EnergyUnlimited
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby eXpat » Fri 25 Apr 2008, 15:37:38

BP begins Forties oil pipeline shutdown link

LONDON (Reuters) - BP began on Friday shutting its North Sea Forties pipeline system, which supplies up to half the UK's oil, ahead of a strike planned this weekend at the Grangemouth refinery in Scotland.
"We have started the process which will lead to shutdown," a BP spokesman said on Friday morning. "We expect that there will cease to be any throughput through the system after Saturday night."

The 700,000 barrel-a-day Forties pipeline carries up to half the UK's North Sea oil output from about 70 fields, some of which began closing overnight on Thursday. A fifth of Britain's gas supply also relies on the Forties system.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
George Bernard Shaw

You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.” Ayn Rand
eXpat
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby SolarDave » Fri 25 Apr 2008, 16:17:01

eXpat wrote:BP begins Forties oil pipeline shutdown link

LONDON (Reuters) - BP began on Friday shutting its North Sea Forties pipeline system, which supplies up to half the UK's oil, ahead of a strike planned this weekend at the Grangemouth refinery in Scotland.
"We have started the process which will lead to shutdown," a BP spokesman said on Friday morning. "We expect that there will cease to be any throughput through the system after Saturday night."

The 700,000 barrel-a-day Forties pipeline carries up to half the UK's North Sea oil output from about 70 fields, some of which began closing overnight on Thursday. A fifth of Britain's gas supply also relies on the Forties system.

Bicycle Repair, Bicycle Maintenance

If you'd a been pedalin' with me, you'd be in shape for this. :-D
100% of the electricity needed for this post was generated by ME.
http://www.los-gatos.ca.us/davidbu/pedgen/green_virtual_gym.html
Posted from a Pedal Powered Computer
SolarDave
Coal
Coal

Unread postby eXpat » Fri 25 Apr 2008, 16:40:08

SolarDave wrote:
eXpat wrote:BP begins Forties oil pipeline shutdown link

Bicycle Repair, Bicycle Maintenance

If you'd a been pedalin' with me, you'd be in shape for this. :-D

haha :)
weekly shopping ?

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
George Bernard Shaw

You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.” Ayn Rand
eXpat
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby gnm » Fri 25 Apr 2008, 16:59:01

Nice little cart... got a link for those?

-G
gnm

Unread postby Troyboy1208 » Fri 25 Apr 2008, 17:24:21

KevO wrote:with the US attacking Iran, the Syria/NK nuke story and a third of all petrol to be lost in the UK for up to a month - things are sure going to get interesting.

LONDON (AFP) - British motorists could face petrol shortages in the next few days after one of the country's biggest oil refineries shut down Friday ahead of a strike over pensions.
ADVERTISEMENT

Energy minister Malcolm Wicks admitted the strike could hit petrol supplies and urged people to behave "sensibly and rationally."

"I cannot guarantee that every garage, every forecourt when you turn up to fill up your car is going to have the petrol at that precise moment, of course not," he told BBC radio

here we go.
where are the troops when you need them?

oh yeah.

LINK

When did we attack Iran?
Troyboy1208
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby evilgenius » Fri 25 Apr 2008, 18:36:06

Wow, any news on plans to deal with this? What is the Tesco/business response? Does Lord Gordon have a plan for spreading information about which stations have petrol? Does anybody have a plan? What about diesel prioritisation? Can they make sure the delivery trucks will run?

I am really interested in the nitty gritty of how this plays out. It makes a good test, provided there are problems, for the UK for the conditions that are likely to be faced going forward.

Oh, yeah, I bet nobody resigns over this mess either.
When it comes down to it, the people will always shout, "Free Barabbas." They love Barabbas. He's one of them. He has the same dreams. He does what they wish they could do. That other guy is more removed, more inscrutable. He makes them think. "Crucify him."
evilgenius
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby TheDude » Fri 25 Apr 2008, 20:20:33

SolarDave wrote:If you'd a been pedalin' with me, you'd be in shape for this. :-D

It's Bicycle Repairman!

Image]

Good luck with TEOTWAWKI mates!
Cogito, ergo non satis bibivi
And let me tell you something: I dig your work.
TheDude
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Europe Discussion