Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Energy Epiphany

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: Energy Epiphany

Unread postby AdamB » Sat 22 Jan 2022, 16:59:56

Polybius wrote:Hey Adam I have some jpeg images on my computer I'm willing to sell to you for 1 trillion USD a piece.... let me know if interested

Why would I be interested? You don't know the difference between energy and money, I wouldn't trust you to know the difference between a jpeg and a pdf.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby jawagord » Sun 23 Jan 2022, 11:19:01

Doly wrote:
The reason NFTs are being pushed and hyped up so much is because its an extension of cryptocurrency platform itself, it serves to prop up the entire cryptocurrency market by increasing the artificial demand and thus valuation of crypto across the board.

So you are saying that most people are hoping that we'll muddle through the energy transition to renewables (plus nuclear for a while, while it lasts). And what ultimately is propping up the NFT market is the assumption that things will continue going up as before. Much like, maybe, Easter Islanders were hoping that by putting up more statues they'd somehow fix their problems, even though some rational thinking would have hopefully led them to some other activity more likely to help them.

So the interesting question is: Is there any way that all that money sloshing around into NFTs can be led into energy projects that are actually helpful?

While Jared Diamond wrote an interesting theory on Easter Island in his book Collapse, his theory is being questioned. The continued building of statues suggests a thriving society, not a collapsed one. NFT’s and the idea we can transition to unreliable energy sources might be the ultimate proof of a thriving society with money to waste?

Rapa Nui is often seen as a cautionary example of societal collapse.
In recent years, researchers working on the island have questioned this long-accepted story. For example, anthropologist Terry Hunt and archaeologist Carl Lipo, who have studied the island’s archaeology and cultural history for many years, have suggested an alternative hypothesis that the Rapanui did not succumb to a downward spiral of self-destruction but instead practiced resiliency, cooperation, and perhaps even a degree of environmental stewardship. Now new evidence from Hunt, Lipo, and their colleagues, published in the Journal of Archaeological Science, lends credence to their ideas. This evidence suggests that the people of the island continued to thrive, as indicated by the continued construction of the stone platforms, called ahu, on which the iconic statues stand, even after the 1600s.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... -collapse/
Don't deny the peak!
jawagord
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby rayo » Sat 12 Feb 2022, 17:40:43

Bravo sir, that is a fantastic summary of our situation. One of the best for the size of the text. I would only nitpick a couple minor things in it. I don't know why you are getting all this hate.

That said, I was expecting some new insight after reading epiphany in the title. But it is truly more of a starting point. There is nothing new here. Every intelligent person should be at least on the same page as you. If not, they are simply wrong and uneducated on our predicament ( I am usually very open minded and anti-dogmatic, but this stuff is just obvious).
rayo
Wood
Wood

Previous

Return to Peak Oil Discussion