Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Electric airpots - energy usage?

How to save energy through both societal and individual actions.

Electric airpots - energy usage?

Unread postby lowem » Wed 22 Dec 2004, 02:38:59

You know those electric airpots, where you put water in and it boils it and keeps it warm for you to use whenever it's convenient for you? Some places it's called electric hot water flasks or something.

Does anyone know how much energy does having one of these take up? As in average KWh per day. Let's say it's approximately a 5L model, and you put in fresh water and reboil daily.

I can't find many good references on Google, most of them talk about the instantaneous power, but then it shouldn't be using the "reboil" mode all the time. I found a page in the Google cache that said 90 KWh per month, thought this might be a bit high though.

Would like to know whether these things are electric hogs on the scale of dryers and air-cons, or perhaps quite a bit less. Thanks.
Live quotes - oil/gold/silver
lowem
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Laurasia » Fri 24 Dec 2004, 21:58:08

Hello: I must confess I had never seen these before so I had to go and look for one. I found the following:

Zojirushi CW-PZC22 Micom Electric Water Dispensing Pot, on asiachi.com.

It looks very interesting and the website says it is "efficient." Would it be used for making hot drinks like tea, on and off during the day? Obviously I have no idea how much electricity it uses, but if it is for hot drinks, perhaps I might suggest an alternative? My brother in law drinks a lot of instant coffee during the day, and in order to minimize the heating and reheating of water, he boils up one "batch" in the morning and fills a Thermos flask with it. He can get many cups of coffee in this manner. (I know this would not work for making tea, however, since that requires boiling water :) )

Regards,

L.
Laurasia
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Return to Conservation & Efficiency