Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Doomers and Bad Assumptions

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: Doomers and Bad Assumptions

Unread postby Pops » Sat 07 Jul 2018, 23:43:12

Would I have been "smarter" if paying closer attention? Frankly, I don't know how to tell, after the fact.

I somewhat overreacted. I was pretty doomy when we bugged out in '04 behind PO and BushCo and tell the truth I was ready to go. At that time it was clear in CA at least that the dot.com bust had accelerated real estate inflation rather than hampering it. People were refinancing every couple of years, I refied once down to a 15 year loan from about 25 left and I could have taken out 100% of what I paid 5 years before, all with one form, basically over the phone. I was 40-something and had seen cousins go BK on negative amortization loans 20 years before, it was obvious that the banks were on a tear.
But like I say, I'm kind of a doomer.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Previous

Return to Peak Oil Discussion