Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Diesel shortage?

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: EU: Diesel = Heating Oil shortage !

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Thu 04 Oct 2018, 17:35:55

Yep, NG prices have been relatively low for a while. But that's thank entirely to the Marcellus Shale. It jumped from less than 7% to over 20% in a short period. But like all plays it will eventually tap out. Other plays may fill the gap to some degree. But it the long term NG reserves will eventually require higher prices. Five years? Ten years? Twenty years? Who knows.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby EdwinSm » Fri 05 Oct 2018, 01:48:49

12 years ago we ditched oil heating for a ground heat exchange system. Given fluctuating heating oil and electricity prices, as I was paying for the system the estimated return time varied from 7 to 12 years, and in the end it ended as 8 years (so a 12.5% annual return on investment). Financially this was the best investment I have made in our house to reduce energy use.

We are living on an island, and gradually the larger entities (such as local supermarket, health center, bank complex, and several groups of 'row houses') have switched to using ground heat exchange.

Also the company I used to work for had converted most of its property from oil heating to ground heat exchange (I am not sure if they finished the process as my job was outsourced and I live about 500 km from their location, as an early pioneer in tele-commuting [since 1994]).

All in all from this experience from an EU country I would expect the demand for heating oil to be sinking, so if there is a shortage it is likely from the supply side.
EdwinSm
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby M_B_S » Fri 05 Oct 2018, 02:25:24

The question is:

Are there enough free gasoil barrel+tanker in/on the market to meet demand in TIME physikally?

@ Edwin
Heat pumps are good but only with CO2 neutral electricity.
M_B_S
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Fri 05 Oct 2018, 11:39:03

M_B_S - I recall several winters ago my Yankee cousins were freezing their butts off as they ran out of propane. There was no shortage of propane in the market place. What they were short of was tanker trucks to make home deliveries. Folks had let their home tanks run low thinking they had enough to get thru the remaining winter. A late and very cold snap proved that assumption to be very wrong.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Fri 05 Oct 2018, 13:16:32

No natural gas on Nantucket, aside from propane tanks. Heating oil, for all of its old-fashioned nature, is still the fuel of choice in many new home builds, as the cost is lower. I believe that ground source heat pumps will be more popular, going forward, with the new underwater power feed from the mainland.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby GHung » Fri 05 Oct 2018, 14:13:35

KaiserJeep wrote:No natural gas on Nantucket, aside from propane tanks. Heating oil, for all of its old-fashioned nature, is still the fuel of choice in many new home builds, as the cost is lower. I believe that ground source heat pumps will be more popular, going forward, with the new underwater power feed from the mainland.

One major difference is that propane can be stored almost indefinitely as long as the exterior of the tank is maintained. Fuel oil begins to degrade fairly quickly and, even if stabilized, is good for 1-2 years before it is rough on boilers, etc. Not really suited to long-term emergency storage.
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Fri 05 Oct 2018, 15:15:25

Right you are, and this is a long recognized problem on Nantucket, where the heating oil often remains in the tank for years in vacation homes. My own system utilizes a porcelanized tank to inhibit rust, a small argon canister that fills the tank as oil is consumed (reduces oxidation), a quality filter for sediments, and a high efficiency electronic regulated oil burner with an exhaust oxygen sensor that burns a wide range of oil viscosities on the surface of a nickel-steel ball. During my recent visit, we consumed about 30-odd gallons of fuel from a 500-gallon tank (presently 3/4 full) that is 4+ years old, no issues at all. The heating oil has a stability enhancer as delivered and there is a sample withdrawn annually from the bottom of the tank to check for polymerization.

Records show that the in-laws filled the tank on average every 15 months. The new oil burner is about 5 years old, and provides both hot water baseboard heat and domestic hot water.
Last edited by KaiserJeep on Fri 05 Oct 2018, 15:31:18, edited 1 time in total.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Fri 05 Oct 2018, 15:28:09

EdwinSm wrote:All in all from this experience from an EU country I would expect the demand for heating oil to be sinking, so if there is a shortage it is likely from the supply side.

The EU is a big place. Pretending like one or two anecdotes should give you an accurate picture re the demand side is somewhere between silly and myopic. There is PLENTY of oil and oil based product like heating oil to be had -- at the right price.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Fri 05 Oct 2018, 15:30:36

ROCKMAN wrote:M_B_S - I recall several winters ago my Yankee cousins were freezing their butts off as they ran out of propane. There was no shortage of propane in the market place. What they were short of was tanker trucks to make home deliveries. Folks had let their home tanks run low thinking they had enough to get thru the remaining winter. A late and very cold snap proved that assumption to be very wrong.

Irresponsible behavior by some clueless homeowners doesn't mean there is a heating oil shortage. Not even close.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Re: Diesel shortage?

Unread postby Tanada » Wed 26 Jan 2022, 00:07:54

Internet down in parts of Beirut due to diesel shortages

Internet service in parts of Beirut, capital of Lebanon, has been disconnected since Sunday morning, local media have reported.

Imad Kreidieh, chairman of Lebanon state telecoms provider Ogero, tweeted on Sunday, "With the early hours of the morning, the communication with Beirut's third district will be cut off, and the Central Mazraa will stop working as our last liter of diesel runs out."
LINK

Diesel shortages cause internet outage in Lebanon

Internet services were disrupted in Lebanon on Sunday amid diesel shortages, the state provider said, according to The Associated Press.

Imad Kreidieh, the head of state internet provider Ogero, tweeted that starting early Sunday a major station in west Beirut, al-Mazraa, would run out of diesel and go offline. The outage affected over 26,000 subscribers, including the country’s General Security operation rooms, he told Al-Jadeed TV.

By midday Sunday, a resident donated diesel, allowing the station to get back online, he said. Meanwhile, another neighborhood in east Beirut, Achrafieh, was out of diesel and operated on batteries.

“The situation is unbearable,” Kreidieh was quoted as having told the TV station.

Lebanon has been grappling with round-the-clock power cuts that last at least 20 hours a day due to a financial crisis that has hampered key imports, including fuel for power stations.

Last week, the country suffered a nationwide blackout after protesters stormed a key substation and tampered with the electrical equipment.

Internet and telecom services already were expensive in Lebanon. In 2019, a tax imposed on WhatsApp services sparked nationwide protests that turned into a denunciation of the entire political elite.

The international community has long demanded a complete overhaul of Lebanon's electricity sector, which has cost the government more than $40 billion since the end of the 1975-1990 civil war.

Lebanon has reached an agreement on bringing Jordanian electricity and Egyptian gas into the country via war-torn Syria, while Hezbollah has separately started hydrocarbon deliveries from Iran.

The shipments from Iran are being portrayed as a victory by Hezbollah.

Lebanese Prime Minister Najib Mikati criticized the Iranian fuel shipments imported by Hezbollah, saying they constitute a breach of Lebanon's sovereignty.

The United States has also denounced Hezbollah's deliveries of Iranian fuel to Lebanon as a “public relations stunt” and warned that Tehran remained under sanctions.

LINK
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Peak Oil Discussion