Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Degrowth Thread Pt. 2

How to save energy through both societal and individual actions.

Re: Degrowth Thread Pt. 2

Unread postby suxs » Mon 14 Mar 2022, 10:12:37

The Biden administration has made a lot of mistakes and of course refuses to acknowledge them and change course but elections are coming up which will take the power out of their inept hands. ~~vsnowd

Provide a clear contrast by defining SPECIFIC policy goals of the Republican party and its titular leader --- denying the existence of global climate change, rejecting science, actively working to delegitimize and destroy government institutions, total control over a woman's reproductive health, creating record-setting budget deficits, and a determined effort to commit ecocide do not qualify.
suxs
Peat
Peat

Unread postby AdamB » Mon 14 Mar 2022, 11:13:20

suxs wrote:
The Biden administration has made a lot of mistakes and of course refuses to acknowledge them and change course but elections are coming up which will take the power out of their inept hands. ~~vsnowd

Provide a clear contrast by defining SPECIFIC policy goals of the Republican party and its titular leader --- denying the existence of global climate change, rejecting science, actively working to delegitimize and destroy government institutions, total control over a woman's reproductive health, creating record-setting budget deficits, and a determined effort to commit ecocide do not qualify.

Oh please. The Republicans have certainly outlined their SPECIFIC goals of why they should be elected to office.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Mon 14 Mar 2022, 13:26:04

suxs wrote:

Let us look at results not rhetoric.
Under Trump we had $2.00 gas and $1.75 heating oil
Under Biden they are North of $4.00 for both and going up every day. Under Trump we had two percent inflation now it is at seven percent heading to ten and above.
Under Trump NATO spending by the other allies increased after years of their not paying in their agreed to share. No new wars flared up in four years. Looks like we are in a big one now.
The USA was a net exporter of oil and gas. Now we are begging enemies and terrorists to sell us $100+ oil so they can use the proceeds to built bombs against us.
Shall I go on?
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby AdamB » Mon 14 Mar 2022, 20:33:46

vtsnowedin wrote: Let us look at results not rhetoric.
Under Biden they are North of $4.00 for both and going up every day. Under Trump we had two percent inflation now it is at seven percent heading to ten and above.
Under Trump NATO spending by the other allies increased after years of their not paying in their agreed to share. No new wars flared up in four years. Looks like we are in a big one now.
The USA was a net exporter of oil and gas. Now we are begging enemies and terrorists to sell us $100+ oil so they can use the proceeds to built bombs against us.
Shall I go on?

Isn't there a difference between "results" i.e. consequences of actions taken and the wonderfully random events that just happened during the administration of a President? Like one who might think downing some bleach with one's Diet Coke is a wonderful cure for Covid? Hard to imagine an idiot of that magnitude causing anything on purpose beyond a bowel movement. Myself, I always hated Jimmy Carter for being Chief American Apologist, but when Don The Con was sucking up to Vlad the lying scumbag and taking his word over American intelligience services..well...it wasn't as though setting up a band of happy seditionists later was much of a surprise.

As far as what is happening on Sleepy Joe's watch, the same rules apply except the caliber of the resident in the White House doesn't begin and end with a President masquerading as someone with character, as opposed to someone who at least possesses a fair share of it.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Mon 14 Mar 2022, 20:42:25

And again I point to the results versus the promised.
If you think today's conditions are better then what we had at the end of the Trump presidency compared to today's reality feel free to explain why we are better off now.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby AdamB » Mon 14 Mar 2022, 21:30:41

vtsnowedin wrote:And again I point to the results versus the promised.

Well, that doesn't work for either gang. Trump promised to make America great again. You see any greatness in kowtowing to Putin? Pretending that it was CHINA paying the tariffs, rather than American businesses and consumers?

$2.00 gas was a result of economics and American oil and gas industry exceptionalism (ho-raw!), it wasn't wasn't from production on Federal lands, about the only thing that any administration can affect. You telling me that Germany paid more for it's defense when Trump happened to be in office then its recent committment, when Biden is? And that either Trump or Biden had anything to do with that improvement in their NATO committment?

Inflation isn't an instanteous effect, Biden becoming President didn't instantly cause it to happen, but Covid sure was involved, and screwing that up certainly had nothing to do with Biden either.

vtsnowedin wrote:If you think today's conditions are better then what we had at the end of the Trump presidency compared to today's reality feel free to explain why we are better off now.

I didn't say they were. Any more than the first 2 years of Reagans term made America feel better off. Cause and effect can be tricky, and "results" as compared to "whatever happened to be going on at the time" are two completely different things.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby careinke » Tue 15 Mar 2022, 02:11:54

AdamB wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote: Let us look at results not rhetoric.
Shall I go on?

Isn't there a difference between "results" i.e. consequences of actions taken and the wonderfully random events that just happened during the administration of a President? Like one who might think downing some bleach with one's Diet Coke is a wonderful cure for Covid? Hard to imagine an idiot of that magnitude causing anything on purpose beyond a bowel movement. Myself, I always hated Jimmy Carter for being Chief American Apologist, but when Don The Con was sucking up to Vlad the lying scumbag and taking his word over American intelligience services..well...it wasn't as though setting up a band of happy seditionists later was much of a surprise.

As far as what is happening on Sleepy Joe's watch, the same rules apply except the caliber of the resident in the White House doesn't begin and end with a President masquerading as someone with character, as opposed to someone who at least possesses a fair share of it.

What a great point counterpoint argument. :roll:

One uses verifiable data and presents a coherent comparison. The other relies on feelings, lies, and change of subject. Can't believe the "bleach" claim is still being used by the Dims, when all you have to do is watch the speech in it's full context to know they are lying.

It would really suck to be a DIM right now. Knowing your party will lose control, all due to their own ineptitude. Hell some could even become trolls, it could give them a sense of control as opposed to the real world.

Glad I vote on the issues and not the party.

Peace
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 15 Mar 2022, 07:40:12

Carinke;

Yeah, I agree on the “bleach” claim. Trump was no master of rhetoric and would commonly garble his thoughts. He was NOT relying in a teleprompter but talking to people. When I initially heard the “bleach” claim it was so outrageous I got the transcript and read it. You are correct, he used the word bleach but never said people should ingest bleach. To make that claim you must be ignorant or a zealot, unconcerned with the facts.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby AdamB » Tue 15 Mar 2022, 09:18:17

Newfie wrote:Carinke;

Yeah, I agree on the “bleach” claim. Trump was no master of rhetoric and would commonly garble his thoughts. He was NOT relying in a teleprompter but talking to people. When I initially heard the “bleach” claim it was so outrageous I got the transcript and read it. You are correct, he used the word bleach but never said people should ingest bleach. To make that claim you must be ignorant or a zealot, unconcerned with the facts.

No need to characterize when we can see the quote.

White Nationalist Supreme Leader and President of the US 2017-2021 wrote:"And then I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in one minute. And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning, because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs, so it’d be interesting to check that, so that you’re going to have to use medical doctors with, but it sounds interesting to me.

He didn't say bleach. I apologize for mischaracterizing the Supreme Leader. Is there a list of disinfectants that we drink here in America, perhaps he just didn't remember its name? Are there disinfectants we do inject, to give us a good cleaning of...the lungs? While characterizing what an idiot says as bleach isn't much of a stretch, it is not accurate in characterizing said idiot, I agree. Good news being, in its entirety, his words demonstrate that being an idiot does not preclude on from getting elected to the highest office in the land in America. And to think all this happened before he decided inciting sedition was a good idea, and sent his folks off to help with his little lost election problem.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 15 Mar 2022, 09:31:45

Hou are more than stretching.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby AdamB » Tue 15 Mar 2022, 11:36:55

Newfie wrote:Hou are more than stretching.

Hou? Meez?

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Pops » Tue 15 Mar 2022, 12:26:11

The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby AdamB » Tue 15 Mar 2022, 13:28:13

Pops wrote:really big brain

When I got Covid, I was standing in the sun, looking to be hit by the light to cure it!! :lol:

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby theluckycountry » Mon 21 Mar 2022, 23:58:10

vtsnowedin wrote:... The Biden administration has made a lot of mistakes and of course refuses to acknowledge them and change course but elections are coming up which will take the power out of their inept hands.

I can't see any major mistakes myself? They have increased the profits of the pharmaceuticals, they are supporting the industrial military complex and it's profits, they are continuing the decades long process of stripping the American population of basic rights and are keeping up the pretense that the US sanctions actually have an effect on changing foreign politics.

As far as these major aims are concerned they are right on track. And if they are tossed from office next time I'm sure they will be quite happy to move on to their highly paid positions in the corporate world they serve.

Barack Obama's Net Worth Surges After Leaving the White House, Thanks to Wall Street

...So when some Americans, including Massachusetts Senator Elizabeth Warren, saw former President Barack Obama accepting $400,000 speeches from Wall Street, signing book deals worth $65 million and vacationing with billionaires off the coast of Tahiti in a $300 million yacht, you can bet they were perplexed. https://www.newsweek.com/how-much-money ... eet-591762

Dear Oh dear, when will Americans realize they have been sold down the river. Sold like black slaves in a marketplace.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Tue 22 Mar 2022, 05:27:29

theluckycountry wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:... The Biden administration has made a lot of mistakes and of course refuses to acknowledge them and change course but elections are coming up which will take the power out of their inept hands.

I can't see any major mistakes myself? .......
........... And if they are tossed from office next time I'm sure they will be quite happy to move on to their highly paid positions in the corporate world they serve.

While the revolving K street door is profitable staying in office is more so. Just ask Pelosi.
So their big mistake is being so inept and hurried by their slim majorities that they shut down the fossil fuel industry before the renewable infrastructure was in place.
Deliberate evil plot or just pie in the eye stupidity will make little difference come November.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Doly » Sat 26 Mar 2022, 15:46:19

Dear Oh dear, when will Americans realize they have been sold down the river.

Yeah, it's a crying shame. When they went to protest to the capitol, they didn't even have the slightest clue what to protest about. I mean, protesting about the result of an election these days is like protesting that the coronation of the king wasn't performed with the correct ritual in feudal times - a sign that people completely fail to appreciate what the real problem is, and are still entirely wed in their minds to the current system. And they weren't even violent with the furniture of the place, at least not that we know, and in any case they didn't break anything that would be impossible to fail to notice. I wouldn't approve of attacking people in the capitol, not just because I'm against hurting people, but also because they're all puppets doing their puppet job. But if you're actually angry with the system, the least you could do is have a go at the main symbols of power.
Doly
Expert
Expert

Unread postby JuanP » Wed 30 Mar 2022, 10:21:30

Based on the data on the link below, I expect global population growth to be around 80 million during this year, 2022. I also expect global population to pass 8 billion on January-February of next year, 2023. Essentially, we are almost living in a world with 8 billion people living in it, and we might as well start getting used to the idea and using the number.

I see no degrowth in global population levels in our lifetimes, unless some horrific catastrophe/s occurr. But they would have to be of an unprecedented global magnitude by any historic measure to affect the long term trends enough. The key to population growth in the 21st century is Africa.
https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/
"Human stupidity has no limits" JuanP
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Wed 30 Mar 2022, 10:37:19

theluckycountry wrote:Dear Oh dear, when will Americans realize they have been sold down the river. Sold like black slaves in a marketplace.

Says the Chinese slave.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Doly » Thu 31 Mar 2022, 14:45:10

Says the Chinese slave.

And the connection with China is...?
Doly
Expert
Expert

Unread postby AdamB » Thu 31 Mar 2022, 20:21:16

Doly wrote:
Says the Chinese slave.

And the connection with China is...?

There is this island off the coast of New Zealand, I forget it's name because it really isn't particularly important except as some sort of Chinese mining colony. The inmates bend banana's because, I mean really, they can't build submarines, they can't build cars (choosing instead to buy American mostly), and in general are...unremarkable? I've heard they catch shrimp and put them on barbies and whatnot, not sure what American made play dolls have to do with shrimp but hey, when you live in an irrelevant country, who cares?

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

PreviousNext

Return to Conservation & Efficiency