PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

CoViD Recession Doom Loop

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Re: CoViD Recession Doom Loop

Unread postby Cog » Wed 25 Mar 2020, 12:15:07

JuanP wrote:
Cog wrote:
JuanP wrote:Well, Cog, since you have not replied to my questions, you have proven to be an arrogant, unrepentant liar. Good to know!

Arrogant yes I am. But I'm not the one preaching the CIA virus. Its up to you to prove this contention. As Carl Sagan said "Extraordinary Claims, require extraordinary evidence". You and your Dumb twin have provided none of this. All you do admit to is a hatred of American and capitalism. I'm glad you are honest about that at least.

Enjoy your worship of communism. May it do you much good.

Obviously, he is a liar living in denial, too!

Denial about what exactly? Denial about CIA agents concocting a virus to destroy China and the civilized world? Yeah I'm sort of denying that. But you got to do you. I wouldn't want to interfere with the snakes in your head. :-D
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby JuanP » Wed 25 Mar 2020, 12:32:27

Cog wrote:
JuanP wrote:
Cog wrote:
JuanP wrote:Well, Cog, since you have not replied to my questions, you have proven to be an arrogant, unrepentant liar. Good to know!

Arrogant yes I am. But I'm not the one preaching the CIA virus. Its up to you to prove this contention. As Carl Sagan said "Extraordinary Claims, require extraordinary evidence". You and your Dumb twin have provided none of this. All you do admit to is a hatred of American and capitalism. I'm glad you are honest about that at least.

Enjoy your worship of communism. May it do you much good.

Obviously, he is a liar living in denial, too!

Denial about what exactly? Denial about CIA agents concocting a virus to destroy China and the civilized world? Yeah I'm sort of denying that. But you got to do you. I wouldn't want to interfere with the snakes in your head. :-D

You are in denial that you are a liar. You have been attacking me nonstop since I proved that. Every time you attack me instead of proving my claim that you are a liar wrong is an admission that you lost the argument, you are a liar, and have been reduced to personal attacks. LOL!
"Human stupidity has no limits" JuanP
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Cog » Wed 25 Mar 2020, 14:24:34

Wait a minute Juan(Chung-Flu) You have proved there was a CIA plot to destroy China and the rest of the world with the Covid19 virus? Please inform the class of your proof of this. I'm patient and drinking a fine craft beer so I have time.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby JuanP » Thu 26 Mar 2020, 10:34:26

We are already in a recession, IMO.
Last edited by JuanP on Thu 26 Mar 2020, 11:03:56, edited 3 times in total.
"Human stupidity has no limits" JuanP
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 26 Mar 2020, 10:50:29

Either you both drop this or I’m gonna do something, maybe move it to a new thread or maybe just can it.

I’m trying to keep the conversation respectful.

Please assist me.

If this helps, no one is lying here. You guys are talking last one another and stick in certain perspectives.

Just chill out for a bit. OK?
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby onlooker » Wed 01 Apr 2020, 18:18:36

https://ny.curbed.com/2020/3/16/2118084 ... moratorium
A bit old but still relevant
A suspension on court eviction proceedings took effect on Tuesday. Gov. Cuomo strengthened that edict with a 90-day eviction moratorium on Friday.
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby onlooker » Wed 01 Apr 2020, 18:21:28

Supplies Are Starting To Get Tight As Food Distribution Systems Break Down

http://endoftheamericandream.com/archiv ... break-down
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Thu 02 Apr 2020, 23:25:53

It will be interesting to see when we have all spent a few months gazing into our navels and contemplating our mortality making decisions on whats really important and whats not, whether we come out at the other end the same voracious consumers we started this journey as.
When you meet someone who has gone through the Great Depression they generally remain frugal for life.
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby onlooker » Fri 03 Apr 2020, 04:05:45

Shaved Monkey wrote:It will be interesting to see when we have all spent a few months gazing into our navels and contemplating our mortality making decisions on whats really important and whats not, whether we come out at the other end the same voracious consumers we started this journey as.
When you meet someone who has gone through the Great Depression they generally remain frugal for life.

I think it is safe to say, it will be more of an imposed frugality that is now arriving :P
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Fri 03 Apr 2020, 21:20:25

Shaved Monkey wrote:It will be interesting to see when we have all spent a few months gazing into our navels and contemplating our mortality making decisions on whats really important and whats not, whether we come out at the other end the same voracious consumers we started this journey as.

Good thoughts.

Re personal experience and some reading -- parents, and a large proportion of people the age of my parents -- to SOME extent re the great depression. Not the majority, but a significant minority to be sure ARE compelled, through experience or fear or habit or teaching -- to be frugal FOR LIFE. And I mean FRUGAL in a way that makes a modern "frugal" person seem like a total PIKER!

Re observing, via lots of articles, the Great Recession -- wildly disappointing (to one who inherited/absorbed his Great Depression parents' extreme frugality while growing up). The VAST majority of people who were talking being long term frugal, etc. after the Great Recession -- within a few years once things seemed normal again -- BANG, back to the "good life", with little savings and LOTS of borrowing. :cry: :-x

The Great Depression lasted for a LONG TIME -- a good two decades or so, re looking at a long term S&P 500 chart, to get an idea of the stock market, and thus "prosperity". The mess didn't really end until AFTER the 2nd world war. So about 20 years of pain (interrupted by a couple spikes of apparent recovery) would leave anyone scarred, perhaps for life.

Compare to the Great Recession, which while painful, was only really bad for a couple years or so. Assuming vaccines work, same thing for COVID-19 after perhaps 3 or 4 years (best guess -- opinions will vary, of course). So, respectfully, I have serious doubts whether this will actually cause a high proportion of people to be frugal for life.

https://www.macrotrends.net/2324/sp-500 ... chart-data

So will things like watching cat videos, etc. on Youtube be enough to take most of the sting from a lack of freedom for months to maybe a couple years in total (hopefully worst case)? I suspect that in the end it will -- though I'll freely admit I could be wrong.

And I'll also admit, living alone and being use to not liking crowds and being relatively anti-social, the isolation doesn't bother me much. The lack of freedom to do what I want when I want (as a retiree for over a decade, I got used to that, even though what I wanted was simple things, like going out to eat, for a walk or drive, etc) is bothering me (re getting used to it) FAR more than the actual isolation, given that I have the internet and the phone.

SO, I'll freely admit that my estimate of the psychic pain from social distancing might be very badly skewed. (Hey, we ALL have our shortcomings).
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Previous

Return to Economics & Finance