Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Can you delete all personal posts?

Having trouble? Is the forum having trouble?

Moderator: admin

Can you delete all personal posts?

Unread postby frankthetank » Wed 17 Oct 2007, 01:59:17

Is this possible? Say i want to delete myself and all my posts off this website for some reason :) :)... IS this even possible? Are my posts locked in cyberspace forever? When my neighbors catch onto PO and come digging here finding odd similarities between their neighbors and some frank guy, questions might be raised, things might start to make sense, and zombie hordes could form! Just wondering. Thanks.
lawns should be outlawed.
frankthetank
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: Can you delete all personal posts?

Unread postby Carlhole » Wed 17 Oct 2007, 02:21:33

I think you can.

I used to read the posts of this guy around here who used to have the coolest avatar. It was what looked like his face with large bubbles surrounding it and his hands were in the frame, held in a sort of karate pose that made his avatar appear wizard-like.

They were "thought bubbles", actually - a metaphor for his posts here on the site. I think his user name "Jon" something.

Remember that guy's avatar? You've been around here for a while...

Anyway, you can't find him or his avatar or his posts or anything. All gone!

I always assumed he just asked the mods to have his posts completely expunged.
Carlhole

Unread postby lys3rg0 » Wed 17 Oct 2007, 09:01:51

It pretty much fucks up all the topics you were active in, lurkers that don't know about the deleted account won't be able to understand the flow of the discussion anymore and it kinda hurts the forum. So on most sites this is forbidden, and usually it is stated in the signup form that after you post the site admins can decide what to do with your messages, you give up your rights by agreeing to the terms. Of course, in life altering cases the mods should be willing to break this rule. On a forum i was modding, some guy's fiancee got a USA scholarship and he naturally wanted to go with, so we advised him on how to cheat his way into a visa. Of course, he had some enemies that monitored the site and tipped the embassy, so we made him disapper off the face of the earth pronto.

But in cases where people just hold a grudge on the community and want to delete their posts to fuck up past discussions on purpose just because they got temp banned, I've seen cases where they self edit all their posts to a single word or smth like that. Hundreds, even thousands of posts in some instances. Some people are fucked up in the head like that. That's why most forums now have edit protection, you can only edit you posts for about 30 minutes after you sent them, to correct spelling and such.
lys3rg0
Lignite
Lignite

Location: 'bout 15 miles from EU's eastern border (thankfully on the inside)

Unread postby RonMN » Wed 17 Oct 2007, 10:32:15

Frank, I was thinkin' the same thing a while ago...But then I though I'll just tell 'em it's a different Ron...

Then I thought...THAT'S what the 12 guage is for :)
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes.
RonMN
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby RonMN » Wed 17 Oct 2007, 15:19:18

Just a thought...if you really find the need...maybe you could have a mod remove your location & change your screen name to JimTheTank (along with all your posts). That way no threads would be messed up by deleting all your posts.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes.
RonMN
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby frankthetank » Thu 18 Oct 2007, 01:19:15

Thanks for the help. Just had the thought cross my mind. I'm not worried about the nut jobs on here :) Once the power goes out or people can't afford cable internet, none of us will have to worry! I figure we all probably have had our IP's logged by some "star wars" defense computer.
lawns should be outlawed.
frankthetank
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby roccman » Thu 18 Oct 2007, 01:38:32

You mean posts are not automatically deleted after a few days??!!

8O

HOLY HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"There must be a bogeyman; there always is, and it cannot be something as esoteric as "resource depletion." You can't go to war with that." Emersonbiggins
roccman
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby jasonraymondson » Thu 25 Oct 2007, 15:34:51

Deleted ...
jasonraymondson
Permanently Banned

Return to Technical Support