Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Can We Archive and Download All PO.com Discussion?

Having trouble? Is the forum having trouble?

Moderator: admin

Can We Archive and Download All PO.com Discussion?

Unread postby mmasters » Thu 29 Mar 2007, 12:07:53

Is there any way to download all of the site message board content? I would consider buying a 10-20-60-100 gig storage drive or whatever's needed for this purpose.

I think there's a treasure trove of information residing here that should be archived by many and often. It would be horrible if the site just went down some day (due to circumstances out of our control) and all this great information was lost.

If money is needed for a hosting site, say for monthly archives, I would be more than happy to donate towards this purpose.
mmasters
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Can We Archive and Download All PO.com Discussion?

Unread postby Jack » Thu 29 Mar 2007, 15:16:25

I suspect Adobe Acrobat could do it - it's fairly good at capturing parts of sites, or even entire sites.

It occurs to me that Aaron could generate a set of DVDs and list them on CafePress.com (or other, similar site) at a reasonable but profitable price. Interested persons could then purchase same...

CafePress gladly handles small, specialized customer bases. No setup costs, no inventory - just automatic order fulfillment.
Jack
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby JPL » Thu 29 Mar 2007, 17:28:49

Give me a day or two and I could write some to code to data-mine the forums for you. Presentation could be a problem, though - a lot of it's all over the place (read more $$$ for a decent-paying job - grin). Probably send Aaron into an outside loop though (double-grin). Why not ask him first?

JPL
Nothing ever happens, nothing happens at all
The needle returns to the start of the song
And we all sing along like before

Del Amitri
JPL
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Loki » Thu 29 Mar 2007, 19:10:20

Are you talking about a website downloader/copier? I tried to download the Planning forum with HTTrack but with only partial success. It'll probably work with the right parameters.
Loki
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Aaron » Thu 29 Mar 2007, 19:13:54

I'm exporting the entire forum in SQL format right now... will try & post here when fnished.
The problem is, of course, that not only is economics bankrupt, but it has always been nothing more than politics in disguise... economics is a form of brain damage.

Hazel Henderson
Aaron
Resting in Peace

Unread postby grink1tt3n » Thu 29 Mar 2007, 19:28:14

Aaron wrote:I'm exporting the entire forum in SQL format right now... will try & post here when fnished.

Aaron, this may not be such a good idea, as you'll probably be exporting user account information along with it.

I could probably write some nifty SQL to just extract the posts in a nice format, PM me if you want me to do this.
grink1tt3n
Peat
Peat

Unread postby davep » Thu 29 Mar 2007, 19:29:51

I don't think using a web crawler would be a good ploy on this site (I've tried it). Each page is referenced in many ways, so you get a lot of duplication.

You'll have to wait 'til Aaron gets his database dump out.

On a similar note, what would people recommend as a preferred local hard drive search engine (to index all the crap I do download from various sites)? I haven't looked at this kind of thing for a while and I'm sure there must be some good free ones around now.
What we think, we become.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby Aaron » Thu 29 Mar 2007, 21:07:30

So how big ya think the file would be that contains every post on this forum to date?

I'm creating it now...
The problem is, of course, that not only is economics bankrupt, but it has always been nothing more than politics in disguise... economics is a form of brain damage.

Hazel Henderson
Aaron
Resting in Peace

Unread postby mmasters » Thu 29 Mar 2007, 22:03:31

Aaron wrote:So how big ya think the file would be that contains every post on this forum to date?

I'll take a stab at 30 gigs
mmasters
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Aaron » Thu 29 Mar 2007, 22:19:07

{link removed by Shannymara}

141 MB

Hazel Henderson
Aaron
Resting in Peace

Unread postby mmasters » Thu 29 Mar 2007, 22:32:44

Aaron wrote:141 MB

Damn I was way off :oops:
mmasters
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby mmasters » Thu 29 Mar 2007, 23:30:26

Is there any kind of little front end application that could dig around a big text file like this and translate it into a virtual enviornment to navigate around and search on?

That would rock.

Could have all of PO.com stored and easily viewable off of a tiny little flash drive... :)
mmasters
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby JPL » Fri 30 Mar 2007, 18:40:25

mmasters wrote:Is there any kind of little front end application that could dig around a big text file like this and translate it into a virtual enviornment to navigate around and search on?

That would rock.

Could have all of PO.com stored and easily viewable off of a tiny little flash drive... :)

I've downloaded Aaron's file and have it safely tucked away so I have something to play with in a few years time when the lights are flickering on and off ;o)

To be honest, the easiest way in, now we have the data, would be a local MySQL DB and a copy of Aaron's SQL & code (grin). I would guess he has the forums data stored in 2 or 3 core tables but it would be in-comprehensible without the JOIN-statements. A text-search program really wouldn't be able to dig this out in any comprehensible form...

Or you persuade him to dump it into a Windows-friendly DB format like Access (best of luck!) Or else some-one data-mines it (grin).

JPL
Nothing ever happens, nothing happens at all
The needle returns to the start of the song
And we all sing along like before

Del Amitri
JPL
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Aaron » Fri 30 Mar 2007, 18:44:56

I can make a CSV copy.

And you can load the sql file above into a MySQL database and do all kinds of things with it.

I'll post the CSV...

Hazel Henderson
Aaron
Resting in Peace

Return to Technical Support