Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

CalExit: The Free State of California

For discussions of events and conditions not necessarily related to Peak Oil.

Re: CalExit: The Free State of California

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 30 Jan 2017, 21:17:02

Cog wrote:Newfie,

Get that boat out of drydock. I'm going to get a letter of marque and we are going conduct warfare along the California coastline. Always wanted to be a privateer.

Screw that. California's got a lousy coastline for cruising.

Try reading Two Years Befor the Mast, it's really about California before the gold rush. Let them have it.

OR....if they split....I wonder if Mexico would claim it and want it back? That would be interesting.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Subjectivist » Mon 30 Jan 2017, 21:21:47

Peurto Rico voted for statehood eight years ago but President Obama sat on it the whole time. I reckon if he had pushed Congress to make them a state the last election may have turned out differently.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Zarquon » Mon 30 Jan 2017, 22:54:20

It's pretty simple if you think it through. Every American declares his/her own state, except Trump. He couldn't legally prevent it - no cops, no Supreme Court and no one left to appoint to the bench. Then you re-unite into NUSA a day later. Donald still gets to be POTUS and everybody's happy.
Zarquon
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Plantagenet » Mon 30 Jan 2017, 23:31:15

OH-oh.

Turns out the Ds running the CalExit campaign have ties with Russia, live part time in Russia, and are financially backed by Russia

calexit-campaign-supported-russia

California seceding from the US seemed like a big joke, but with Putin and the Russians behind it all it now seems less like lala land and more ......sinister and creepy. :shock:

Turns out the Russians are behind the Ds running the Calexit campaign
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby peripato » Tue 31 Jan 2017, 01:34:42

Definitely they should leave, and take Oregon and Washington with them, and really make America great again!
"Don’t panic, Wall St. is safe!"
peripato
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby vox_mundi » Wed 13 Jun 2018, 09:58:14

This Is Really Happening: Measure To Split California Into Three States Qualifies For November Ballot

For the first time since before the Civil War, voters across California will decide in November on a proposal to split up the Golden State — potentially remaking it into three new states.

An initiative dividing California, pushed by Silicon Valley venture capital investor Tim Draper, received enough signatures to qualify it for the November ballot, the Secretary of State’s office confirmed Tuesday afternoon.

Supporters of the radical plan submitted more than 600,000 signatures, and a random sample projected that enough are valid that the measure can go before voters, setting up a campaign that is sure to attract a carnivalesque atmosphere and only-in-California chuckles from across the country.

The proposal would split America’s most populous state into three: California would be reduced to a coastal strip running south from Monterey to just past Los Angeles.

The Bay Area would be part of a new Northern California state with a border that starts north of Monterey, runs east and north to the Nevada state line, and includes everything north to the Oregon border - Tough Luck, Pete 8)

WasteLand: A new Southern California state would run south from the Northern California border, skirt around the coast from Monterey past Los Angeles, and include San Diego, Death Valley and the rest of the state east to Nevada and Arizona

After the Melt ...

“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― Leonardo da Vinci

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late.
vox_mundi
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Cog » Wed 13 Jun 2018, 10:08:24

Won't be allowed by Washington DC. For this reason:

New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new State shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or Parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress.[3]

No way the US Congressional Republicans are going to allow four new Democrat Senators. And if you look at how the California geographic splits show on the map by including San Francisco and other large population centers, that is what would happen.

Cog
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 13 Jun 2018, 12:59:41

Well suppose we keep only one? Let the other two go their own way. Can I pick?
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Cog » Wed 13 Jun 2018, 13:11:27

What do you mean go their own way? Secede from the union? I believe that was tried before with the predictable results.
Cog
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 16 Jun 2018, 18:34:44

Well yes, but this time we may not fight them. Just be gone with you, don’t let the door... and all that.

It’s all sillyness anyway. I was just being comical, or so I thought.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Ayoob » Sun 17 Jun 2018, 00:07:45

Sounds good to me, let California go. Then we can go to war with New California, slaughter the inhabitants to the very last tiny innocent baby, and take it back nice and clean.

Fuck 'em.
Ayoob
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 17 Jun 2018, 07:07:39

IIRC the underlying justification for taking land both from the Indians and the Mexicans was they were not developing it suffices is fly, therefore we had some God given right to take it and put it to a higher use.

In the early 1800’s California had been a Spanish and then Mexican possession for going on a century. It was still not “developed” although the Indians had been subdued. Their main export was hide. The whole coast was only lightly populated.

So when you say we should take it back you are just saying we wish death to all our own mind so we can repopulate it.

I don’t much like the parts of California I have seen, too dry, too many people. It would be much better without all the people, it is far beyond it’s water carrying capacity, which will become a problem before too long. We need a new way to look at that place. It’s gonna be a sore and a burden on the rest of the country.

Maybe move everyone from LA to Detroit.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sun 17 Jun 2018, 18:33:57

Newfie wrote:Maybe move everyone from LA to Detroit.

Given the past of both cities, and all the brilliant decisions that various leaders of CA or Detroit have made over the decades, yeah, that should fix everything.

While they're doing that, they should get the UAW to lead GM to fix Tesla's problems and bring a green auto nirvana, with UAW quality! And just to flesh out the CA liberal theme, use thousands of illegal alien workers.

What could possibly go wrong? If only money grew on trees...
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Previous

Return to Geopolitics & Global Economics