Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Blacklisting (was Log In Problems)

Having trouble? Is the forum having trouble?

Moderator: admin

Re: Blacklisting (was Log In Problems)

Unread postby dolanbaker » Mon 08 Oct 2012, 03:29:35

dolanbaker wrote:Yet another pile of các on the new posts list! :(

And again! :evil:
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Mon 08 Oct 2012, 09:14:29

Im out of the tin
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dsula » Mon 08 Oct 2012, 21:59:55

x
dsula
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby evilgenius » Thu 11 Oct 2012, 12:32:00

test
evilgenius
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby evilgenius » Sat 13 Oct 2012, 12:42:33

Obviously this grearttaw person is a spammer. How to filter out these people is the bane of administrators on all boards. I like the idea of no urls or pictures in a post until a person has posted at least 10 regular posts. I also like the idea of new people's posts not showing up until they have been reviewed, through the first 10 times. Yes, blacklisting is another option. We could have a section where the names of all new avatars or avatars with less than a certain number of posts are displayed, say 50. At this location there could be a way to see what these new avatars have posted. There we could have a sort of poll option where established members, with more than the certain number of posts, can vote once per avatar up or down. If the new avatar gets a certain percentage of down votes they are automatically deleted. There could even be an appeals process, for those who feel that they have been deleted for political reasons.

Elsewhere, I would like to suggest, again, a digression feature wherein sub-topics within a thread can go off on a tangent for a few pages. They could be referenced (clicked) from within the individual post that suggests them or from a banner at the beginning of a thread. This would be for topics which don't really hold up on their own outside of the thread in which they are birthed, but also don't belong stuffing the channel within that post either.
evilgenius
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Blacklisting --- threads hidden from "guests"

Unread postby Plantagenet » Mon 07 Jul 2014, 23:42:37

I don't start many threads, but I've noticed that the 3-4 threads that I've started over the last several months don't show up in the "Guest View" mode, and they aren't included in the list of new topics on the Peak Oil start page. The threads I started were apparently only visible to PeakOil.com members.

For instance, I just started a new thread about the new electric EV Harley Davidson, and the thread isn't visible in "Guest View" and it hasn't appeared in the list of new topics on the PeakOil.com page.

Is this a technical glitch, or is this a form of "blacklisting"?---i.e. am I being blacklisted or censored so any threads I start are hidden from "guests" who visit this site?

If threads I start aren't showing up on the "guest view" and the PeakOil.com page simply due to a technical glitch, would one of the mods please fix it so my threads show up again. THANKS.

Alternatively, if I am being censored so that my threads are only visible to site members, would it be possible for the person who did it or perhaps someone else to please tell me why? For instance, is there some reason a thread on the new Electric Harley Davidson Motorcycle should be hidden from "guests" so it is only visible to site members? Also, I don't see any mention anywhere in the Code of Conduct that some posters may be allowed to start threads that guests can see, while others are prohibited from doing so. If this is some secret form of moderation, perhaps the CoC should be modified to make everyone aware that this kind of thing is being done now and spell out just what kind of posts and threads result in this particular kind of blacklisting? Also, it might be reasonable in the future to inform posters when this particular mode of censorship is done??

But given the long history of wonderful freedom of speech at this great site, I hope this is just a technical glitch? Please fix and/or please advise. THANKS
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby MD » Tue 08 Jul 2014, 05:02:03

Plant

"open topic" threads are hidden from guest view, and have been for a very long time.
Stop filling dumpsters, as much as you possibly can, and everything will get better.

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 09 Jul 2014, 00:35:56

Hi MD:

Thank you for replying so quickly and clearly. My mistake---I didn't understand how the different categories of topics were treated at this site in terms of visibility to "guests" etc.

Sorry for bugging you about this ---

Shimata!!!! (Japanese term variously translated as ..."I have erred"...or "it happened" ....or even *hit!").
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby radon1 » Mon 02 Feb 2015, 07:21:25

Would appreciate if the mods could advise please, whether it is possible to set up new threads, blocking certain specific members from posting in them ("blacklisting" them)?
radon1
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Tanada » Mon 02 Feb 2015, 08:12:51

radon1 wrote:Would appreciate if the mods could advise please, whether it is possible to set up new threads, blocking certain specific members from posting in them ("blacklisting" them)?

If somebody is bothering you go to the User Control Panel on the left side of the screen and open it, then select friends and foes from the top menu on that page. Type the name of the annoying person in the text box and click add to foes.

Once you do that all of their posts will be invisible to you. If several people that normally argue with them do this they won't have anyone left to argue with.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby radon1 » Mon 02 Feb 2015, 09:14:40

Tanada wrote:
Once you do that all of their posts will be invisible to you.

This does not remove the issue of spammers. But anyway, thanks a lot.
radon1
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Pops » Mon 02 Feb 2015, 10:29:17

radon1 wrote:
Tanada wrote:
Once you do that all of their posts will be invisible to you.

This does not remove the issue of spammers. But anyway, thanks a lot.

You mean people you disagree with?

I haven't seen any spam here for quite a while now.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby radon1 » Fri 13 Feb 2015, 06:39:08

Pops wrote:You mean people you disagree with?

I mean those who are systematically flooding certain threads with numerous extensive vacuous/nonsensical/trolling/offtopic/etc posts, making these threads unreadable and obstructing the genuine and time-consuming efforts of other contributors; and possibly deriving a personal financial benefit from it or pursuing other malicious goals.

This has little to do with "agreeing" or "disagreeing" as the obstructed posts are mostly factual in nature, with clear references to the sources so that the readers can easily assess their viability; they are not an expression of a poster's opinion to be agreed or disagreed with.

These practices have been developing over the course of many months now and appear to have grown into a significant issue.
radon1
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Previous

Return to Technical Support