Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Billionaires = Leading Cause of CC

Billionaires = Leading Cause of CC

Unread postby dohboi » Sun 09 Dec 2018, 15:08:32

Billionaires are the Leading Cause of Climate Change

https://www.gq.com/story/billionaires-c ... G66T86NHFQ

... more than 70 percent of global emissions come from just 100 companies...

The people who are actively cranking up the global thermostat and threatening to drown 20 percent of the global population are the billionaires in the boardrooms of these companies.

There are probably no individuals who have had a more toxic impact on public and political attitudes about climate change than the Koch brothers, and it would take an absurd amount of space to document all the money and organizations they've scraped together for that purpose. (Investigative reporter Jane Mayer's groundbreaking Dark Money does basically that.) And they have every reason to: In her book, Mayer notes that "Koch Industries alone routinely released some 24 million tons of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere a year."

But the scope goes far beyond merely sowing dissent and skepticism. While billionaires and the companies they run have spent years insisting that climate change either doesn't exist or is overblown, they've known the reality of the situation for a long time. PayPal cofounder Peter Thiel, for example, used to donate to the Seasteading Institute, which aimed to build floating cities in order to counteract rising sea levels. And Exxon Mobil allegedly knew about climate change in 1977, back when it was still just Exxon and about 11 years before climate change became widely talked about. Instead of acting on it, they started a decades-long misinformation campaign. According to Scientific American, Exxon helped create the Global Climate Coalition, which questioned the scientific basis for concern over climate change from the late '80s until 2002...

dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Re: Billionaires = Leading Cause of CC

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sun 09 Dec 2018, 15:15:38

Complete BS. Those 100 companies aren't holding guns to the customers' heads and forcing them to buy and consume their products, and causing AGW in the process.

Those 100 companies aren't forcing the global population to grow persistently and alarmingly.

Whining about billionaires is great fodder for buying liberal votes. Not so much for discussing reality, in terms of cause and effect for planet-wide issues caused by the collective actions of well over 7 billion people.

But thanks for playing. You can go back to whining about meat eaters now.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Sun 09 Dec 2018, 15:30:03

dohboi, nobody has to connnect to the power grid and thus - indirectly - spew coal effluents into the atmosphere. Nor does anybody have to pour gasoline or diesel fuels into their vehicle.

These are lifestyle choices with available alternatives today. But I am betting that "master of complaints" doboi does both of these things, while blaming the suppliers of the energy he is consuming.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Cog » Sun 09 Dec 2018, 17:47:52

GQ doing a hit piece on conservative companies but not liberal ones. My shocked face.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby mmasters » Sun 09 Dec 2018, 21:00:41

The leading cause of CC is too many people and too many egos. The billionaires are part of the problem not the problem.
mmasters
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Mon 10 Dec 2018, 01:20:49

Ah, denialism comes in many varieties, and we see a nice parade of them here.

Thanks for the demonstration, boys.

I'm glad to see the the poor, mis-understood billionaires of the world have such staunch and brave defenders! (I would never use the term 'boot-licker'! 8O )

I get the impression, though, that none of you actually read the article...maybe reading is not your strong suit? :)
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby onlooker » Mon 10 Dec 2018, 08:21:37

What is all the raucous. We know the planet is actually heading into a new ice age (sarc) 8) :lol: :lol:
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Tanada » Mon 10 Dec 2018, 12:00:29

Isn't it hyperbolic to speak of 'drowning 20% of the worlds population' when sea level rise is limited to rates even a slow garden snail can slither away from?

When an author uses such language it casts doubt on every other claim they make. If you want to write it will submerge millions of square miles of shore lands that is accurate without trying to imply everyone dies in the process.

In any case our civilization, by courtesy so called, chose a long time ago to follow the path of warming and has stubbornly refused to take a single substantial step in any other direction. Time to stop pretending and prepare to adapt instead of crying over what will not and can not at this late date be changed.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 10 Dec 2018, 12:12:04

Well, it’s a good article if you want to blame someone else. Fits the purpose.

There has been plenty of information available for a long time. I’ve done my level best to educate folks, even well educated Democrats, and I’ve spent several thousand of MY dollars in the pursuit. The results? NIL! Oh sure I get lots of togune clucking and “Tysk, Tysking.” But no understanding, it all gets watered down and mixed with every other PC agenda item. I’ve been told that to effect climate change “First we must effect moral and fiscal equality among all humans.”
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Mon 10 Dec 2018, 13:22:52

dohboi, I still do not see any acknowledgment on your part in the role that you personally play in CC. You DO use a petroleum-fuelled vehicle, do you not? You DO use the power grid, do you not?

In this day and age, those are lifestyle choices that have available alternatives easily afforded by the Middle Class. My guess is that you already know this, but choose to continue the life you lead rather than the available greener alternatives.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby GHung » Mon 10 Dec 2018, 13:37:16

Investors with $32 trillion at stake sound the alarm on climate change

London (CNN Business)Investors managing assets worth $32 trillion have called on governments and businesses to step up efforts to tackle climate change.
A group of 415 investors warned Monday of an "ambition gap" between steps governments have promised to take, and the actions needed to meet goals set out in the Paris climate agreement.
The statement from the Institutional Investors Group on Climate Change has been endorsed by financial heavyweights including HSBC (HSBC), Nomura Asset Management and UBS Asset Management.
The group, which controls assets worth more than twice the value of the Chinese economy, claims that its push is the single largest policy intervention from investors on climate change.

"Much more needs to be done by governments to accelerate the low carbon transition and to improve the resilience of our economy, society and the financial system to climate risks," the group said in a statement.
The plea comes as world leaders gather in Katowice, Poland, for an annual summit on climate change. ....
https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/10/business ... index.html
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Cog » Mon 10 Dec 2018, 14:02:54

pstarr wrote:The sea level has gone up hundreds of feet since folks hiked over from Russia back during the last glacial maximum. (Didn't everyone learn that in grade school?) Now a few centimeters millimeters per year . . . no big deal.

The climate change folks are practicing their religion. Who am I to tell them what to worship?

The 800 lb gorilla in the room is peak oil and always will be. We aren't ready and we won't ever be ready for peak oil. But I'm very OK with that.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Ibon » Mon 10 Dec 2018, 15:14:40

Tanada wrote: Time to stop pretending and prepare to adapt instead of crying over what will not and can not at this late date be changed.

Yep and a further logical conclusion is to stop wasting time discussing it on forums and stop allowing the intractable truth of the inevitable drag you down............. unless you enjoy the feeling of hopeless situations.....

I frankly observe in my little neck of the woods subtle and not so subtle climatic changes during the past 10 years and take it for what it is with not a minute of lost time with expectations of any meaningful mitigation.

As I have mentioned countless times the collective decision of doing nothing is a decision and is an action..... which is letting consequences, external of human agency, be the solution. Climate change is one of the solutions to slow down and reverse the juggernaut of human overshoot.

Get it and move on..... just stop wallowing in the mire of hopeless expectations that your government or community can do anything meaningful.
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Ibon » Mon 10 Dec 2018, 15:17:57

Cog wrote:
pstarr wrote:The sea level has gone up hundreds of feet since folks hiked over from Russia back during the last glacial maximum. (Didn't everyone learn that in grade school?) Now a few centimeters millimeters per year . . . no big deal.

The climate change folks are practicing their religion. Who am I to tell them what to worship?

The 800 lb gorilla in the room is peak oil and always will be. We aren't ready and we won't ever be ready for peak oil. But I'm very OK with that.

The 800 lb overshoot predator in the room will not limit his arsenal to one agent like just peak oil. Climate change is part of his ammunition.
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dohboi » Mon 10 Dec 2018, 16:50:52

Thanks, Ibon, GHung and onlooker for interesting and entertaining contributions to the thread.

For the record, I do not own a car, and all of our electricity comes from wind. But yes, we are all pretty much locked in a system that forces us all to participate in the destruction of the living planet. (Was there some point in there?)
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Mon 10 Dec 2018, 17:46:20

The whole point was that you are forever attacking this and that behavior while never acknowledging that the renewable and green alternatives come at at price in human lives and human misery, or severe environmental impacts.

One example is the petroleum-fuelled agriculture that you delight in attacking while promoting vegan, vegetarian, etc. You are welcome to promote any diet you wish as long as others are free to choose their own foods. But the arable land we have can only feed about two billion humans in the absence of machine fuels, pesticides, herbicides, and petrochemical fertilizers. At least 5.7 billion would starve by your diet plan, without oil.

Also, I am an EE and in the process of moving to an island that NOAA designated as one of the 10 most ideal wind sites in the USA. I would love to hear some details on your wind power. So many here are solar energy advocates, and my new home is in New England, where wind is the ticket.

KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Hawkcreek » Mon 10 Dec 2018, 18:12:09

Ibon wrote:As I have mentioned countless times the collective decision of doing nothing is a decision and is an action..... which is letting consequences, external of human agency, be the solution. Climate change is one of the solutions to slow down and reverse the juggernaut of human overshoot.

I agree completely. But I think a lot of people believe that posting their opinions online is equivalent to doing something, when it is, in actuality, doing nothing.
Lots of ways to make a difference, but most people don't bother.
"It don't make no sense that common sense don't make no sense no more"
John Prine
Hawkcreek
Expert
Expert

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Mon 10 Dec 2018, 18:46:21

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm saving my family as best I can. The rest of you will have to fend for yourselves.

KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Next

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate