Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Arctic Sea Ice 2021

Re: Arctic Sea Ice 2021

Unread postby Tanada » Thu 03 Jun 2021, 09:32:10

Newfie wrote:One would think the decreased economic activity from Covid would manifest as a decreased warming rate. But then if the economic stimulus packages kick in as intended the warming rate will return in 2022/23.

I have not seen any data to support this supposition. Just seems reasonable.

Clearly you have forgotten there is a 30-60 year time lag between when emissions take place and when their full effects take place. What we experience today is the effects of what humans were doing in the 1960-1991 period when emissions were still relatively modest.The next two decades will let us start feeling the effects of the Iraqi-Kuwait war, the break up of Yugoslavia and the very start of the Chinese two power plants every week building boom in coal consumption.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 03 Jun 2021, 09:36:26

Tanada,

Not forgotten, but thanks for the reminder. I also recall the rather immediate effects of the 9/11 aircraft grounding. MAYBE there are some short term effects working, in addition to the ling term effects. For example: loss of contrails allows short term effects.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Azothius » Wed 16 Jun 2021, 10:57:19

Just some recent observations from: https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index. ... l#lastPost

Still amazed at how awesomely average melt has been so far.

While the ESS, Laptev and the Atlantic sector of the CAB are in bad shape, the Beaufort, Chukchi, the CAA and the western CAB have relatively high area/extent and have enjoyed relatively benign conditions thus far, leading to rather late albedo drops.
Obviously with half the ice in good conditions a record will be hard to come by, though the weather can bring surprises.
However, the unknown factor is the amount of damage sustained in the CAB by last year's prolonged GAAC, also hinted by the low PIOMAS CAB volume, and exacerbated by the persistent export regime, first to the Fram and later to the Barents. A collapse of half the CAB ice could have a significant effect on the melting season, but is quite impossible to predict properly.

What do you mean by how awesomely average? Melt has been rapid in the Laptev sea and extent drops are increasing and we are slowly but surely edging towards the lowest extents. The weather has been warm at times with melt ponding coming quite early after another year of early snowcover melt.

If the warmth in the Laptev continues as its forecast too, SSTS are going to rise even further and will no doubt play a role how far north the ice edge will get. The ESS is more resilient this year which may help somewhat but my early season optimism has reduced somewhat and whilst I don't think we will reach record lows, another year of fast melt and being near or at the bottom of the pack is certainly possible.
Ragnarok is Coming
Azothius
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 16 Jun 2021, 12:07:12

Azothius wrote:Just some recent observations from: https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index. ... l#lastPost
Obviously with half the ice in good conditions a record will be hard to come by,

Actually, Arctic sea ice extent today is almost exactly on pace with the all-time record low in 2012.

charctic-interactive-sea-ice-graph

That means we have an EXCELLENT chance of setting a new all time low for sea ice extent later this year.

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby JuanP » Wed 16 Jun 2021, 20:10:09

Plantagenet wrote:
Azothius wrote:Just some recent observations from: https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index. ... l#lastPost
Obviously with half the ice in good conditions a record will be hard to come by,

Actually, Arctic sea ice extent today is almost exactly on pace with the all-time record low in 2012.

That means we have an EXCELLENT chance of setting a new all time low for sea ice extent later this year.

Cheers!

Plantagenet is correct. Arctic sea ice extent is at this time essentially the same it was on 2012 in mid June, which is the all time record low, so considering that the volume is significantly less now and we have had another decade of global warming since then, it is quite possible that we could have a new record Arctic sea ice extent low this year, but that will depend on the weather between now and then, too.
"Human stupidity has no limits" JuanP
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby dissident » Thu 17 Jun 2021, 00:27:05

We are dealing with a tipping point process when it comes to sea ice cover. After the volume declines to a critical level, the sea ice extent is going to disappear rapidly at a much earlier time. This will contribute to stabilizing the new low sea ice regime since the exposed water will absorb both solar energy and wind energy as wave action. Both will drive more current intensity and help lower latitude warm water to enter the Arctic basin. It will take longer for refreezing to occur and the heat energy in the upper ocean layer (about 1 meter below the surface and deeper from where it does not radiate to the atmosphere) will suppress sea ice volume directly. So ice free summers in the Arctic are going to happen.

Given the sea ice volume trend, it looks to me like the tipping point will arrive before 2040. We are set to bottom out to zero for September around 2030. The existing most linear trend will accelerate maybe even before 2030. The sea ice volume trend sums up the complacency we have about climate change. At the initial stage the trends are slow and linear. But they eventually manifest their nonlinearity.

"We did not expect the change to happen this fast".
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 17 Jun 2021, 02:47:31

And once the sea ice goes then we'll see a significant feedback effect on global warming due to the change in albedo etc. resulting from an ice-free Arctic ocean

Recent Global Climate Model computer runs suggest that once the Arctic Ocean is ice-free in summer it wil act to increase the overall temperature of the earth by +0.43° C.

Global warming due to loss of large ice masses and Arctic summer sea ice
Nico Wunderling, Matteo Willeit, Jonathan F. Donges & Ricarda Winkelmann
Nature Communications volume 11, Article number: 5177 (2020)

Global warming causes an ice-free Arctic Ocean which will cause more global warming

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Azothius » Thu 17 Jun 2021, 10:41:21

JuanP wrote:
Plantagenet wrote:

Cheers!

Plantagenet is correct. Arctic sea ice extent is at this time essentially the same it was on 2012 in mid June, which is the all time record low, so considering that the volume is significantly less now and we have had another decade of global warming since then, it is quite possible that we could have a new record Arctic sea ice extent low this year, but that will depend on the weather between now and then, too.

Good point about the diminished volume. And totally agree that there is a chance that a new record low could be set this year. Though I think its an overstatement to say that there is an excellent chance. As we all have witnessed, several of the past years seemed possibly headed for a new low that did not materialize. The ice cap has shown an unexpected resiliency. Thus far, its been the weather and not the state of the ice that has been the determining factor. Though as Dissident and Plantagenet point out, once that tipping point is crossed, it's game over.

Perhaps those here who are more well read than I can comment upon this (feigning my best science-speak): In complex systems, whether (social) political, economic, (geophysical) climatological, etc, as the system is going through a phase transition from one regime to another, there is an inherent self-perpetuating mechanism within the system that resists crossing the tipping point leading to the next regime. Not only do the same set of factors that maintained the system resist the disruption of the system, but new negative feedbacks come into play that reinforce the existing state even as positive feedbacks that would potentially lead to the new state are increasing. It is this struggle between the two sets of feedbacks that ultimately produces the non-linear, abrupt transition from one state to the next, rather than the system undergoing a smooth transition. [edit: For if the positive feedbacks overwhelm the negative, they will have amassed significant cumulative forces (or effects?) (or power?) during the standoff and are now free to unleash their full impacts.] Whether or not the system actually undergoes the phase transition is dependent upon which set of feedbacks prevail.

1. Don't beat up on me for sounding pseudo-scientific. Just trying to articulate something.
2. Where would I have encountered this concept? I can't recall.
3. Would love to hear everyone's thoughts about this as it applies the the arctic sea ice.
Last edited by Azothius on Thu 17 Jun 2021, 12:18:21, edited 1 time in total.
Ragnarok is Coming
Azothius
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 17 Jun 2021, 11:20:18

I do not know about Arctic sea ice. Maybe.

You MAY have read in Limits to Growth, if not the original one of updates. IIRC, and it has been a while, they said something very similar. The pointed out their model only worked well on the upswing. Then when one of the major indicators broke bad (hit tipping point) it resonate against all other indicators creating a chaotic situation that could not be predicted.

I think there is a good possibility that humanities various systems are approaching said tipping point.

Your explanation was good, captures the mechanism for a chaotic collapse.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Azothius » Thu 17 Jun 2021, 12:22:16

Thank you, Newfie.

Newfie wrote:
I think there is a good possibility that humanities various systems are approaching said tipping point.

I absolutely agree with this.
Ragnarok is Coming
Azothius
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby JuanP » Thu 17 Jun 2021, 15:11:24

Azothius wrote:Good point about the diminished volume. And totally agree that there is a chance that a new record low could be set this year. Though I think its an overstatement to say that there is an excellent chance. As we all have witnessed, several of the past years seemed possibly headed for a new low that did not materialize. The ice cap has shown an unexpected resiliency. Thus far, its been the weather and not the state of the ice that has been the determining factor. Though as Dissident and Plantagenet point out, once that tipping point is crossed, it's game over.

Perhaps those here who are more well read than I can comment upon this (feigning my best science-speak): In complex systems, whether (social) political, economic, (geophysical) climatological, etc, as the system is going through a phase transition from one regime to another, there is an inherent self-perpetuating mechanism within the system that resists crossing the tipping point leading to the next regime. Not only do the same set of factors that maintained the system resist the disruption of the system, but new negative feedbacks come into play that reinforce the existing state even as positive feedbacks that would potentially lead to the new state are increasing. It is this struggle between the two sets of feedbacks that ultimately produces the non-linear, abrupt transition from one state to the next, rather than the system undergoing a smooth transition. [edit: For if the positive feedbacks overwhelm the negative, they will have amassed significant cumulative forces (or effects?) (or power?) during the standoff and are now free to unleash their full impacts.] Whether or not the system actually undergoes the phase transition is dependent upon which set of feedbacks prevail.

1. Don't beat up on me for sounding pseudo-scientific. Just trying to articulate something.
2. Where would I have encountered this concept? I can't recall.
3. Would love to hear everyone's thoughts about this as it applies the the arctic sea ice.

I agree with your comment completely.

As far as the observations on the nonlinearity of the evolution of these type of processes and the balance of negative and positive feedbacks, I won't pretend to be well read or have a strong science background, but I have believed this to be the case for a number of years now. Also, as Plantagenet, Dissident, and you pointed out once we pass a tipping point going back would be unlikely. It would require a new tipping point in the opposite direction, which considering current trends I don't see happening in our lifetimes. I believe this concept applies to a number of issues, including Arctic sea ice extent. I've read that, too, and, just like you, I don't remember where, but it sounds convincing to me and I am completely sold on the idea of this nonlinearity.

The Arctic sea ice could almost completely melt any year now. The necessary conditions are already there. A blue Arctic Ocean event will become increasingly likely with every passing year. I clearly remember scientists saying that this would NOT happen before the end of the century about a decade ago, maybe on one of the IPCC reports. I read that section out loud to my wife and couldn't stop laughing about it. I knew they were very wrong. All these Global Warming and Climate Change consequences are going to land on us like a ton of bricks much faster than anticipated.

Another consequence that is extremely likely to evolve nonlinearly is sea level rise. Some chunks of ice in Greenland or the Antarctic are going to fall into the ocean very fast raising sea level very significantly, and it will happen in hours, days, weeks, or months, not decades; it's a matter of when, not if. Most people are going to be extremely surprised when it happens.
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby JuanP » Thu 17 Jun 2021, 15:28:49

Newfie wrote:I do not know about Arctic sea ice. Maybe.

You MAY have read in Limits to Growth, if not the original one of updates. IIRC, and it has been a while, they said something very similar. The pointed out their model only worked well on the upswing. Then when one of the major indicators broke bad (hit tipping point) it resonate against all other indicators creating a chaotic situation that could not be predicted.

Your explanation was good, captures the mechanism for a chaotic collapse.

This is a very important point. Nobody knows what will happen on the other side of the curve. The rules of the game will be different then.
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby dissident » Thu 17 Jun 2021, 17:53:52

The IPCC a couple rounds ago was summarizing simulations from GCMs running brain dead simplified sea ice submodels. They basically had some slab ocean and slab ice which behaved like a giant ice cube (same crap for the land ice) that exhibited no real world characteristics of ice sheet dynamics. Ice sheets change volumetrically and not via some surface ablation or accretion. The slab ocean models used in these climate GCMs did not have any current transfer of warm water from lower latitudes. They were basically 1D (vertical) energy balanced models.

For some reason this Mickey Mouse representation of critical ice physics in GCMs became accepted as realistic so people have been "surprised" by the pace of change in the real world. Well, no sh*t Sherlock.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Azothius » Sat 19 Jun 2021, 01:41:15

Here is the Slater Forecast performance from last year:

Here is it's 50 day lead time ice extent forecast for this year, as of now to August 7th:

Here is the probabilistic Map of what the ice extent would look like as of August 7th:

Here is the website:
https://cires1.colorado.edu/~aslater/SEAICE/
Ragnarok is Coming
Azothius
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby evilgenius » Sat 19 Jun 2021, 10:24:10

There is a chance that the Arctic won't change as quickly for a little while. The actual pole seems a lot tougher to lose than I thought it would. Every year the ice line has gotten there, before it magically stops. It must have to do with the morphology of the region, how that drives conditions for either melting the rest or not. How the ice didn't used to melt out from around the small islands that it does now melt out from is like what the line that blocks the pole from melting behaves. We should be glad, but that too will go in time. That doesn't mean there won't be faster changes at lower latitudes.

I ask myself about the PR value of a totally melted out Arctic. There's no doubt it is high. Even your average right-wing Southern Baptist might agree about the reality of climate change once that happens. I hope by then it isn't too late. Otherwise, Dissident's timeline of 2030 for the first time looks about right. Those islands toyed with their sea ice, until they didn't have any in summer. They didn't give it up right away. It took about that number of years, sometimes with years when things looked better, from when it became obvious that something was going to happen.
evilgenius
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dissident » Sat 19 Jun 2021, 10:49:22

The resistance comes from the Arctic Ocean still. There is warming in the Barents Sea and elsewhere but it is nowhere near saturated. That is why fun times are going to get more fun. As the Arctic Ocean opens up the heat transport currents will amplify and the warming will accelerate. The loss of sea ice driven from below will continue to increase.

The Antarctic is in this regard more of a bastion to resist change. There is no warming from below outside of the periphery which concentrates the effect around the coastlines. The Antarctic circumpolar current and the associated atmospheric circulation pattern are also not going to go away. This circulation creates a dynamical containment vessel keeping both warm air and water away from Antarctica. The Arctic lacks such defenses. The atmospheric containment vessel component in the form of the polar front jet now does not form as early in the Arctic which contributes to northern polar warming. I think it is almost certain that there will be a large Antarctic ice sheet even when Greenland one melts away and Arctic sea ice is just some slush that forms in the heart of the winter months.

As for humans and their politics, some of them will deny reality until they croak. The politicization of global warming thanks to corporate funding of shills (remember Exxon, Limbaugh and similar) is one of the greatest crimes in history given its impact.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sat 19 Jun 2021, 14:23:47

evilgenius wrote:. I ask myself about the PR value of a totally melted out Arctic. There's no doubt it is high. Even your average right-wing Southern Baptist might agree about the reality of climate change once that happens. I hope by then it isn't too late.

Your "average right-wing Southern Baptist" is totally irrelevant to doing anything about the climate change.

The people who have the power to do something about climate change are the leaders of our governments. They're the ones who have both the responsibility ad the power to take action and do something.

But unfortunately from Clinton and AL Gore to Obama to Biden, they say nice things but they do essentially nothing. Trump didn't say nice things and he also did nothing.

Take Obama.....even if you ignore the key role he played in derailing the rather good UN Climate Change Treaty scheduled for signature in Copenhagen in 2009, Obama deserves full blame for the disastrous fraud of a climate treaty that he and other world leaders foisted on the world in Paris in 2015. A treaty where everybody wishes that global warming not exceed 2°C is utterly meaningless and worthless....even worse it provides cover for doing nothing while CO2 emissions and global temperatures go up and up.

Its already too late to do anything about climate change----not because of some ignorant nobody in the south, but because people like Clinton and Gore and Obama and Trump and Biden have failed the people of the world and failed to do their job to protect us and the planet.

Clinton and Gore and Obama and Trump and Biden all say they're taking care of climate change....but all they are doing is putting out a lot of hot air

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 20 Jun 2021, 18:28:18

Plant,

Not to disagree with your point but to refine it a bit. It is inevitable that there be many severe effects from CC. And if we continue there more sever effects sooner.

Far from throwing our hands up and giving up there may yet be something to save by taking action.

Not that we will, and CC is not our only problem by far. Yet it is not within me to surrender. If nothing else we do the best we can and pray for some exceptional good luck.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Tanada » Mon 21 Jun 2021, 22:12:31

Newfie wrote:Plant,

Not to disagree with your point but to refine it a bit. It is inevitable that there be many severe effects from CC. And if we continue there more sever effects sooner.

Far from throwing our hands up and giving up there may yet be something to save by taking action.

Not that we will, and CC is not our only problem by far. Yet it is not within me to surrender. If nothing else we do the best we can and pray for some exceptional good luck.

I advocate the third hand, neither ignoring the problem nor attempting to solve what is already beyond our control. I want people and governments to adopt an adaptation strategy to prepare for the predicted changes not just continue BAU until that is no longer possible.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby dissident » Tue 22 Jun 2021, 13:27:20

The third option is not optional. We cannot fix what we have set in motion, but we should stop digging our own graves at breakneck speed with BAU insanity.

But this will require national effort. To electrify all of the automobile traffic in the USA by 2035 would take equivalent of building a 1 GWatt nuclear power plant every three weeks starting now. No power capacity build up in the next 15 years even begins to reach such a scale. In addition, the Hersch report on adapting to peak oil remains valid no matter what temporary delay there is from a hard supply crash. BAU inertia which includes a total lack of understanding of the scale of the problem is going to screw us hard.
dissident
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate