http://neven1.typepad.com/blog/
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Re: Arctic Sea Ice 2018

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Fri 16 Feb 2018, 20:28:59

https://seaice.uni-bremen.de/data/amsr2 ... egular.png

We may have reached the Max for this year, after this date there is rarely any more significant growth.

gfs_T2ma_nhem_36.jpg
gfs_T2ma_nhem_36.jpg (227.74 KiB) Viewed 17042 times

With a significant warming event throughout the Arctic at least through the 24th, we may see declines from here.

Models show a continued wave of 960-980mb LPS buffering the Bering with sustained southerly winds and waves. It seems the Bering front should continue to retreat following the losses from 2/6-14. Perhaps substantially so.

thanks to bbr2314 at asif
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sun 18 Feb 2018, 16:34:04

First Commercial Ship crosses Arctic Ocean in Winter without an icebreaker

arctic-sea-route-first-ship-no-icebreaker-winter-

And, just to add a note of irony, the first commercial ship in the Arctic ocean in winter was an LNG tanker filled with methane---the super greenhouse gas that is causing rapid warming in the Arctic.

----------------------

It was just a few years ago commercial ships starting cross the Arctic in summer WITH an icebreaker. Then they traveled in summer without an icebreaker. And now we've got a tanker crossing a big part of the Arctic Ocean in winter without an icebreaker.

Its just A M A Z I N G how quickly global warming is destroying the Arctic Sea Ice.

Cheers!
"Its a brave new world"
---President Obama, 4/25/16
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dohboi » Sun 25 Feb 2018, 16:25:19

The daily mean temp for the Arctic is in record territory, and waaay out of wack from the long-term mean:

http://ocean.dmi.dk/arctic/meant80n.uk.php
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby onlooker » Sun 25 Feb 2018, 16:52:04

http://www.independent.co.uk/environmen ... 26446.html

Arctic set to be warmer than parts of UK as temperatures hit 30C higher than average
Amazing!
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby dohboi » Sun 25 Feb 2018, 21:47:29

It was above freezing today at the North Pole...in February.

More about ... odd ... goings on in the Arctic from rs: "There's a Hole in Winter's Heart..."

https://robertscribbler.com/2018/02/25/ ... -february/
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Mon 26 Feb 2018, 03:00:19

Yes, this is when it is supposed to be the coldest in the Arctic. Especially at the north pole. Odd is a profound understatement. Try terrifying.

(Today, on Sunday February 25, 2018 at 0900 UTC — temperatures rose to above freezing at the North Pole, 34 F. What would typically be a summer-time temperature for this furthest north location of our world happening during February. )

The persistent weather patterns necessary for such an event were already well in play. At the surface, warm air was continuously running northward just east of Greenland — born pole-ward by powerful storms and frontal systems. At the upper levels of the atmosphere, a huge plug of warm air was developing. One that invaded the stratospheric levels of the atmosphere by the week of February 4-11. This plug, in synergy with surface warming, tore apart the heart of cold at the roof of our world that we call the Polar Vortex.

(Daily mean temperatures for the entire region of the Arctic above the 80 degree north latitude line rocketed upward to new records over recent weeks. Most recent temperatures are comparable to those typically seen during late May.)

Over the past 72 hours, gale force warm, southerly winds gathered in the Atlantic, then blasted north.

At this point, we were starting to see some seriously outlandish temperatures in the higher latitude regions. Cape Morris Jesup, which is the furthest north location on Greenland, by Friday the 23rd experienced a 6 C or 43 F temperatures on the shores of what should be a frozen solid Arctic Ocean just 400 miles from the North Pole.

The average high temperature in Cape Morris Jesup is -20 degrees Fahrenheit during February — making Friday’s reading a whopping 63 degrees F warmer than average. For reference, a similar departure for Washington, DC would produce a 105 degree day in February.

But it wasn’t just Cape Morris Jesup that was experiencing July-like conditions for the Arctic during February. For the expanding front of that ridiculously warm winter air by Sunday had expanded into a plume stretching tens of thousands of square miles and including a vast zone of temperatures spiking from 45 to 54+ degrees F above normal.

It appears that this particular warming event — the highlight of an ongoing polar warming of the past few weeks — is without precedent in the Arctic during February.

Add to that, that the Arctic ice is breaking up months early and being transported out through both the Fram and Nares when it should be frozen fast, we are seeing an unprecedented collapse of the Arctic ice in the very heart of what should be winter.

Not to mention the Bering Strait where it is just disappearing.
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Whitefang » Mon 26 Feb 2018, 12:09:12

http://www.climatecodered.org/2018/02/w ... ode+red%29
What is happening in the Arctic is now beyond words, so here are the pictures

In the depths of the northern winter, and with 24-hour darkness at the North Pole, an extraordinary climate warming event is happening. And for many scientists it is now beyond words. So here from Zack Labe (@ZLabe) are some images which tell the story of the recording-smashing warming and sea-ice melting occurring right now high in the Arctic

CCR dropped this in my mail box, Fine overview of the extreme warming event.
Whitefang
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Mon 26 Feb 2018, 18:45:58

Whitefang wrote:CCR dropped this in my mail box, Fine overview of the extreme warming event.

I keep wondering how bad things have to get before a strong enough majority of people WAKE UP and are at least willing to TRY to meaningfully reduce CO2 production, and perhaps even actively pay to have us actively engage in removing LOTS of CO2 from the atmosphere in an attempt at mitigation.

Will it take really bad stuff happening to people's own cities and families?

It's not like the trends aren't painfully obvious. It's not like the level of overall acceleration isn't frightening.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Mon 26 Feb 2018, 20:02:00

Outcast_Searcher wrote:
Whitefang wrote:CCR dropped this in my mail box, Fine overview of the extreme warming event.

I keep wondering how bad things have to get before a strong enough majority of people WAKE UP and are at least willing to TRY to meaningfully reduce CO2 production, and perhaps even actively pay to have us actively engage in removing LOTS of CO2 from the atmosphere in an attempt at mitigation.

Will it take really bad stuff happening to people's own cities and families?

It's not like the trends aren't painfully obvious. It's not like the level of overall acceleration isn't frightening.

I think the real problem is that there is absolutely nothing we can do that would be also done by every other country to have a chance of it being effective. All the proposed solutions are either so expensive compared to the expected results or so pie in the sky that no reasonable person will sign on to them unless he thinks it will be paid for by other peoples money.
vtsnowedin
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Mon 26 Feb 2018, 20:46:03

That's like saying, "We're all gonna die, but I refuse to do anything, unless everybody else does something too."

Do you know how idiotic that sounds?

Since it's way too late, and there is nothing that can be done, there is no point in doing anything, now. You can stop making excuses. All that's left is the consequences.

Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Tue 27 Feb 2018, 00:58:39

http://neven1.typepad.com/blog/2018/02/ ... ented.html

Talk about unprecedented

There is open water north of #Greenland where the thickest sea ice of the #Arctic used to be.

It is not refreezing quickly because air temperatures are above zero confirmed by @dmidk's weather station #KapMorrisJesup. Wacky weather continues with scary strength and persistence.

This probably has a lot to do with the splitting of the Polar Vortex due to a sudden stratospheric warming event a while back.

See also:

"Has the Arctic Finally Reached a Tipping Point?"
https://earther.com/has-the-arctic-fina ... 1823276247

Extract: "“The Holocene climate system is unraveling,” Jason Box, an ice researcher at the Danish Meteorological Institute, told Earther in an email. “We should not be surprised if/when ongoing de-glaciation of the Arctic combined with global (and Arctic) atmospheric heating and humidification causes climate shifts that appear to be step changes.”"

And yes, indeed, 'odd' was intended as a vast understatement, hence the preceding and following ellipsis marks. For anyone with the faintest knowledge of the history of the Arctic and the consequences of such vast and sudden changes, these developments are horrific and, well, sad is far too weak a word.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby kiwichick » Tue 27 Feb 2018, 01:47:15

thanks D ......yeah that open water north of Greenland .......where the strongest ice .....used to be .....in February...... OUCH!!!
kiwichick
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Tue 27 Feb 2018, 03:15:03

nsidc_arcticbasin_area_byyear.jpg
nsidc_arcticbasin_area_byyear.jpg (80.47 KiB) Viewed 15314 times

meanT_2018_25022018.jpg
meanT_2018_25022018.jpg (39.04 KiB) Viewed 15314 times

'nuff said

Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby GHung » Tue 27 Feb 2018, 09:08:21

..... and the band played on.
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 27 Feb 2018, 11:35:59

This deserves your attention and discussion.

I should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write, balance accounts, build a wall, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Cog » Tue 27 Feb 2018, 11:44:11

I suppose I might ask why the average Arctic temperature, as shown on the chart, went from 1958-2002 and not 1958-2017?
Cog
Fission
Fission

Pincher attack

Unread postby Whitefang » Tue 27 Feb 2018, 13:01:03

https://earther.com/has-the-arctic-fina ... 1823276247

This winter’s warm weather oddity is what NASA sea ice researcher Alek Petty called a “pincher attack.” In previous winters, the heat has largely entered the Arctic through the North Atlantic between Greenland and Europe. This winter, heat is pouring in there but also rushing through the Bering Strait from the North Pacific. The double dose of heat is what’s creating wild records across the region, and winter temperatures have never been higher in recorded history.

Linky thanks to D,

Since there is nothing that can be done to stop abrupt CC, except some grand act of divine intervention, we humans should burn fuel to keep our blanket of soot intact, especially coal.
That would buy us some time before we accelerate up to 1 degree per year, 5 in a row.
Then probably a plateau of 2 to 3 decades and the final blast from the oceans, another 5 years of 1 degree mean global temp rise/year.
Thankfully we are not there yet but half a degree in the past 2 years comes close and with the loss of the arctic sea ice we will be there in no time.
I wish it would be different.

How abrupt is abrupt,
Less time it takes than to go through school, 10 degree a year for some parts of greenland, keep thinking about that prof.and his presentation on AGU I think, YouTube.....will come back sometime.

Jim White, 2014...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siWCXOypJh4
Whitefang
Coal
Coal

Unread postby dissident » Tue 27 Feb 2018, 18:30:41

Cog wrote:I suppose I might ask why the average Arctic temperature, as shown on the chart, went from 1958-2002 and not 1958-2017?

The latter would be mixing in current/recent warming with the historical record. Why not average temperatures from 18000BC and 2018AD. Only mixed, meaningless metrics are worthwhile....
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Cog » Tue 27 Feb 2018, 18:54:40

dissident wrote:
Cog wrote:I suppose I might ask why the average Arctic temperature, as shown on the chart, went from 1958-2002 and not 1958-2017?

The latter would be mixing in current/recent warming with the historical record. Why not average temperatures from 18000BC and 2018AD. Only mixed, meaningless metrics are worthwhile....

1958-2002 is a historical record? Really?
Cog
Fission
Fission

PreviousNext

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate