Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Airline Bankruptcy / Merger / Layoffs Pt. 2

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: Airline Bankruptcy / Merger / Layoffs Pt. 2

Unread postby diemos » Thu 14 Feb 2019, 08:32:34

I've always thought that a graph of global passenger-miles flown would be an interesting indicator of peak and decline, but I never could find it compiled anywhere.
diemos
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Subjectivist » Thu 14 Feb 2019, 13:05:22

IMO all the mergers and bankruotcies on this thread are what really killed the A380. After all, why pony up the cash for a brand new hard to fill aircraft when at the same time mergers and bankruptcies placed a lot of moderate aged air craft on the second hand market?

Looked at this way the A380 had the worst timing possible, any healthy airline was able to buy moderatly smaller wide body jets like the L-1011 and B747 that they knew they could book full. Not only that the extreme weight of the A380 means a lot of airports around the world can not handle it. For financial reasons a lot of airports never invested the millions necessary to install double deck gates and reinforced runways and taxiways to handle the extreme weight.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Zarquon » Sat 16 Feb 2019, 11:58:45

diemos wrote:I've always thought that a graph of global passenger-miles flown would be an interesting indicator of peak and decline, but I never could find it compiled anywhere.

First link when you google (well, duck-duck-go) "graph of global passenger-miles flown":

https://www.statista.com/statistics/193 ... er-demand/

It's growth, not absolute numbers, but it's in passenger*km.
Zarquon
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Zarquon » Sat 16 Feb 2019, 12:15:17

Subjectivist wrote:IMO all the mergers and bankruotcies on this thread are what really killed the A380. After all, why pony up the cash for a brand new hard to fill aircraft when at the same time mergers and bankruptcies placed a lot of moderate aged air craft on the second hand market?

Looked at this way the A380 had the worst timing possible, any healthy airline was able to buy moderatly smaller wide body jets like the L-1011 and B747 that they knew they could book full. Not only that the extreme weight of the A380 means a lot of airports around the world can not handle it. For financial reasons a lot of airports never invested the millions necessary to install double deck gates and reinforced runways and taxiways to handle the extreme weight.

I usually hate people who just post a link to a video, but I think the A380 problem is explained here very well, by an actual airline pilot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaKNmbLDS_w

Very briefly, it a) has four engines and b) it was a bet on the hub-and-spoke system of smaller airports feeding passengers to large hubs. That didn't pan out.
Zarquon
Lignite
Lignite

Previous

Return to Peak Oil Discussion