Page added on August 11, 2019

‘Unprecedented’ fires spread through the Arctic

Enviroment

Wildfires are spreading through parts of the Arctic, including Siberia, Alaska, Greenland and Canada at “unprecedented levels,” according to wildfire expert Mark Parrington from the Copernicus Atmosphere Monitoring Service.

According to BBC, the increasing number of wildfires affects air quality as well as conditions on the ground. Fires release toxic pollutants and gases into the atmosphere, which can be harmful to people, animals and plants. The smoke from the fires in Russia has now traveled as far as the west coast of Canada and Alaska, according to BBC. Smoke has blocked the sun and made it difficult for people to breathe in several countries, and some governments have declared a state of emergency.

Fires in the northern hemisphere between May and October are not abnormal, yet the location, intensity and length have been more extreme than usual, according to CAMS. The World Meteorological Organization reported 2019 saw Earth’s warmest June on record. With warmer conditions, fires grow more rapidly and can persist longer.

Russia’s Federal Forestry Agency reported over 6.5 million acres of land are currently burning across Siberia and Eastern Russia. Russian President Vladimir Putin has sent the Russian army to help fight the fires in Siberia, and United States President Donald Trump has offered Putin assistance to put the fires out.

According to USA Today, firefighters in Russia have few resources in some parts of the Siberian Arctic. In Siberia, rain is one of the only available resources to extinguish the flames. Hundreds of thousands of people have signed a petition calling for tougher action regarding the fires, claiming what Putin is doing is not enough.

While Russia is one of the regions most affected by the fire season, there are currently 21 fires burning through over 1 million acres of land in Alaska, according to the National Interagency Fire Center. BBC reported the majority of the fires throughout Alaska have been started by lightning strikes. In Canada, a single wildfire in the Northwest Territories has burned at least—if not more—100,000 acres according to the Environment and Natural Resources Ministry.

“The ongoing Arctic fires have been most severe in Alaska and Siberia, where some have been large enough to cover almost 100,000 football pitches, or the whole of Lanzarote,” Parrington stated in a CAMS report. “In Alberta, Canada, one fire is estimated to have been bigger than 300,000 pitches. In Alaska alone, CAMS has registered almost 400 wildfires this year, with new ones igniting every day.”

In addition to affecting air quality, climate scientists claim soot absorbs sunlight and warms the atmosphere. If soot falls on ice or snow, it absorbs heat as soot reduces reflectability.

Fires also contribute to the release of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere. Scientists estimate that fires in July 2019 resulted in the release of about 100 megatons of carbon dioxide, the equivalent of the carbon output of the entirety of Belgium in 2017.

“We haven’t crossed any major irreversible tipping points yet, but for each tenth of a degree that we get close to 1.5 [degrees Celsius], it’s sort of like time’s running out,” meteorologist Eric Holthaus told TIME. “We’re already there in some places where the ice just doesn’t exist in the times and places that it used to. That’s a permanent change effectively to those parts of the Arctic.”

Greenland is one place serious ice sheet changes can be seen every year. The National Post reported the 2019 melting season could set a record for the most melted ice in history. 250 billion tons of ice have already melted this year due to a combination of low snowfall and significant melt run-off, according to The National Post. This is enough water to sustain the world population’s water intake for over 40 years.

“The basic chemistry and the basic physics of how the atmosphere absorbs heat—there’s no path where you can imagine that the Arctic is going to start to cool off again,” Brian Brettchneider from the International Arctic Research Center told TIME. “Cold air has to come from somewhere, cold air doesn’t just magically appear, and that somewhere has to be accounted for in the entire energy balance of the Earth. It would take a dramatic reversal of the chemical composition of the atmosphere.”

VG

121 Comments on "‘Unprecedented’ fires spread through the Arctic"

1. Davy on Tue, 13th Aug 2019 6:18 am

I approve this message:

“I am spending less time on this lame unmoderated forum to concentrate on my own blog. I do want to thank all those who have attacked me with giving me material for growth. I have saved the best of my comments for my new blog. I have years worth of material. I have enjoyed moderating the worst of you and neutering your selfish useless agendas”

2. Davy on Tue, 13th Aug 2019 6:29 am

I especially want to thank juanpee. If it wasn’t for him and all the material for growth he gave me, I’d still be posting mindless copy and paste spam from other websites, and I’d still be as delusional as ever.

Thanks juanpee!

3. Davy on Tue, 13th Aug 2019 6:36 am

I associate Spam with relaxation, being present, and not worrying about what you can’t control.

Why? Because Spam evokes beaches, pineapples, funny tropical shirts: i.e., Hawaii. It’s the one place in the world where I can be un-stressed-out, and it happens to be the only U.S. state that loves Spam as much as I do. Mainland Americans have given me no end of grief for this.

First rule of Spam Club: You never talk about Spam Club. Otherwise, you risk social death.

4. makati1 on Tue, 13th Aug 2019 6:55 am

5. JuanP on Tue, 13th Aug 2019 6:56 am

Bullshit mak, I am spending less time on this lame unmoderated forum to concentrate on my own blog. I do want to thank all those who have attacked me with giving me material for growth. I have saved the best of my comments for my new blog. I have years worth of material. I have enjoyed moderating the worst of you and neutering your selfish useless agendas.

6. makati n juanpee comment fraud on Tue, 13th Aug 2019 7:04 am

This was part of one of my more incredible wordsalads that I saved for my incredible blog:

“I am spending less time on this lame unmoderated forum to concentrate on my own blog. I do want to thank all those who have attacked me with giving me material for growth. I have saved the best of my comments for my new blog. I have years worth of material. I have enjoyed moderating the worst of you and neutering your selfish useless agendas.”

7. JuanP on Tue, 13th Aug 2019 7:30 am

As far as I am concerned human beings are a bunch of arrogant and retarded ignorant fools and they deserve what’s coming. Call me selfish if you want, I don’t give a fuck! I did therapy for over a decade and most of it was a waste, but I had one therapist for a year who understood my issues and that helped, though I am still thoroughly screwed up. Now I self medicate with cocaine and rum. My enjoyment is obsessively stalking and ad hom-ming on PO dot com. I am a disgusting example of a human being of course typical of rich South Americans in Miami with no life.

8. JuanP identity fraud on Tue, 13th Aug 2019 7:30 am

makati1 on Tue, 13th Aug 2019 6:55 am

9. Robert Inget on Tue, 13th Aug 2019 9:48 am

It appears Trump, China blinked during trade talks.

A Typhoon that ruined two million acres of Chinese farmland
    during the middle of growing season must have had an effect.

Chinese Trade Talkers had only a few days before vowed NOT to buy ANY US AG. Clearly, global warming got its say.

Sadly, this is not the last we see of insane weather this year.
    Just as crude oil supplies come into balance, threats of super storms, are on tap.

10. I AM THE MOB on Tue, 13th Aug 2019 10:54 am

Clogg

You are PO side show barker from the fairgrounds!

Why don’t you go buy a woman to get laid? Stop trolling all day and being an angry, bigoted and paranoid incel..

11. I AM THE MOB on Tue, 13th Aug 2019 10:55 am

Over 500 rescued migrants blocked on two NGOs boats

12. Davy on Tue, 13th Aug 2019 11:11 am

Nobody has more control over my emotions than juanpee does.

dumbasses

13. Robert Inget on Tue, 13th Aug 2019 12:07 pm

The ‘counter revolution’ will be televised.

Large numbers of Chinese paramilitary forces have been filmed assembling just 30km (18.6 miles) from Hong Kong in the city of Shenzhen, as riot police clashed with protesters occupying the airport for a second day.

The scuffles broke out in the evening between police and protesters, after an injured person was taken out of Hong Kong’s international airport’s main terminal by medics.

Several police vehicles were also blocked by protesters, and riot police moved in, pushing some protesters back and using pepper spray at times.

After a brief period early in the day when flights were able to take off and land, the airport authority suspended check-in services for departing flights as of 4:30pm. Departing flights that had completed the process would continue to operate.

It said it did not expect arriving flights to be affected, although dozens were already cancelled. The authority advised people not to come to the airport, one of the world’s busiest transport hubs.

The newspaper described the People’s Armed Police forces as being mandated by Chinese law for “dealing with rebellions, riots, serious violent and illegal incidents, terrorist attacks and other social security incidents”.

It is a further sign of Beijing’s waning patience with the unrest in Hong Kong, after the Chinese government said on Monday that the protest movement in the city had begun to show “sprouts of terrorism”.

While China defines terrorism loosely, it has previously used the term to describe non-violent opposition movements in minority regions such as Tibet and Xinjiang, justifying greater uses of force and the suspension of legal rights for detainees.

Speaking on BBC radio, Britain’s last governor of the city before the 1997 handover said it would be “a catastrophe for China and of course for Hong Kong” if there was a military intervention.

Chris Patten said it was counter productive of China to warn of “other methods” if the protests did not stop. “Since President Xi has been in office, there’s been a crackdown on dissent and dissidents everywhere, the party has been in control of everything,” he said.

14. Robert Inget on Tue, 13th Aug 2019 12:33 pm

DUH!

A new study has for the first time presented solid evidence that human-caused global warming is linked to melting of the West Antarctic Ice Sheet. Scientists already knew that periodically changing winds in the region have caused an increase in warm ocean conditions around key glaciers in West Antarctica, and that this is causing them to lose ice. But they did not know whether changes in the winds could be linked to global warming. The new study shows that changes in the winds have indeed been influenced in part by warming climate, along with shorter-term natural variations in climate. The findings are published today in the journal Nature Geoscience.

15. Robert Inget on Tue, 13th Aug 2019 12:40 pm

Good News. From C Deniers.

As long as humans keep up the warming our planet won’t go into an ice age.

Well deniers are making a huge admission, ie:
    Human responsibility.
    The catch?
    We can’t change BAU for fear of Ice Age.

16. Cloggie on Tue, 13th Aug 2019 12:47 pm

Over 500 rescued migrants blocked on two NGOs boats

Excellent! A blocked boat can’t go out and collect a new batch of fighting age young males, pretending to be “refugees”.LOL

We’re talking about a few hundred per week that make it to the other side of the Mediterranean or perhaps 52 x 200 = 10,000 undesirables/year on a population of 500 million. More likely 5,000 because of the Winter. ROFL

Poor mobby, you will be residing over an impotent third world country, where we in Europe are about to go full Aryan again (after Brexit).

Admit it, you lost. We only have to rake in the white, viable parts of America, after the break. They will be begging to be let in, into the European world.

17. Cloggie on Tue, 13th Aug 2019 1:06 pm

Look mob, new Salvini-Putin picture:

Salvini is only 46. And Putin looks like he can carry on, as a Russian Godfather, after his official retirement date 2024.

“Italy’s Salvini leads Europe’s ethnonationalist surge”

“Salvini: “My only purpose is to save Europe””

Caesar Salvini has just stood up. It has great advantages that an Italian is doing the necessary right-wing work, not a German or a Russian. Italy, that has associations with good food, wine, dolce far niente, holidays, beautiful ragazze, has a little bit of an innocent, harmless image. Italians are singers, not butchers. Salvini can get very far.

18. Cloggie on Tue, 13th Aug 2019 2:33 pm

Poor cloggo, his euro pbm empire is dissolving before his eyes all because of those rascal Italians he loves to talk up. LOL.

“Can Salvini Beat The Italian Troika?”
    https://tinyurl.com/yyglypur strategic culture via zero hedge

Absolutely nothing in that piece of yours refers to a “euro pbm empire” that is dissolving.

First of all, there is no PBM, not yet.
    The only empire that IS dissolving, is the US empire.

First things first.
    First get rid of the British, the most globalist people in Europe. They should never have been in Europe, as de Gaulle already knew and sought to prevent.
    Next wait for a Salvini government, perhaps next month.
    And a resounding victory next month of the AfD in East-Germany.
    Expect increased pressure to lift anti-Russian sanctions.
    Expect steps to form an EU army next.

19. I AM THE MOB on Tue, 13th Aug 2019 2:36 pm

Clogg

Italy is on the brink of going bankrupt.

And Putin is a lame duck..NATO will take care of him. They have him outnumbered by double digits.

Doomed: How There’s No Way Out Of The Debt Crisis For Italy

Italy could blow up Europe as we know it

Why Italy’s Debts Are Europe’s Big Problem

No matter how much barking and boot licking you do Clogg..The elites can’t save you or your region.

20. Davy on Tue, 13th Aug 2019 2:51 pm

“This Is Blowing Up:” Texas Energy Costs Hit Record High Monday As Heatwave Strikes”
    https://tinyurl.com/y23xt8sj zero hedge

“According to the Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT), who operates the electric grid and supplies energy to more than 25 million customers, representing 90% of the state’s electrical load, reported that demand surged to 74,531 megawatts (MW) at 5 p.m. CDT on Monday and could reach 75,000 MW on Tuesday. Reuters notes that the all-time high was 73,473 MW on July 19, 2018. ERCOT has 78,000 MW of generating capacity. As demand continues to reach critical levels, the grid operator could issue warnings to customers advising them to reduce energy. ERCOT Houston MW-hour jumped from $25 to $603 on August 12, a +2,237% move in 1,440 minutes. “This is blowing up, David Hoy, a trader at Dynasty Power, told Bloomberg, “That should be the highest price of the year so far.” Meteorologist Vallee said air temperature and humidity across the region could make temperatures feel closer to 110 through the week. In comparison to other grid operators across the country, ERCOT Houston is experiencing the most significant spikes in energy costs this week. The jump in energy costs shows just how unpredictable the Texas power market has become as coal-fired generators are retired for cheaper natural gas and renewable energy sources. ERCOT said its reserve margin, which is the spread between total generation available and forecast peak demand, with the difference shown as a percentage of peak demand, is at an all-time low of 7.4% because several coal-fired power plants have been retired as of recent. Monday’s price spike also shows how renewable energy, which makes up about 25% of Texas’ energy generation, had difficulty generating enough power to handle the demand surge. Grid data from Bloomberg showed wind power generation in the region slid by 50% Monday, with most of the energy generation coming from fossil fuel power stations.”

21. I AM THE MOB on Tue, 13th Aug 2019 3:32 pm

Barr has refused himself due to his personal and family ties to Epstein.

Guess we know what happened. Trump made sure he couldn’t spill the beans about that 14 year girl he raped at Epstein’s sex party.

22. JuanP on Tue, 13th Aug 2019 3:44 pm

MOB, are there any links for that? I met Epstein at a trump fund raiser. My wife and I helped get Trump elected because Hillary is evil

23. Davy on Tue, 13th Aug 2019 3:45 pm

“Middle Class Death-Spiral: Consumers Have Never Been Deeper In Debt, And Bankruptcies Are Surging”
    https://tinyurl.com/y5yueswb zero hedge

“This wasn’t supposed to happen. During the relative economic stability of the past few years, the middle class was supposed to experience a resurgence, but instead it has just continued to be hollowed out. The cost of living has risen much faster than wages have, and as a result hard working families all over America are being stretched financially like never before. Even though most of us are working, 59 percent of all Americans are currently living paycheck to paycheck, and almost 50 million Americans are living in poverty. In a desperate attempt to continue their middle class lifestyles, many Americans have been piling up mountains of debt, and it has gotten to the point where we have a major crisis on our hands.”

“I honestly don’t know what malls and shopping centers all over the U.S. are going to do. I once warned of a future in which America’s landscape would be littered with abandoned stores, and that future has now arrived.”

“And as we plunge into this new economic downturn, things are only going to get worse. The middle class is absolutely drowning in debt, and even a mild recession would be enough to financially wipe out millions of American families.”

CW2?

24. Daisy Dyke on Tue, 13th Aug 2019 3:45 pm

Juan, you should be locked up somewhere

25. Davy on Tue, 13th Aug 2019 3:48 pm

How long are you going to keep helping Americans juanpee, before you move back to Uruguay to take care of yourself? I’d be moving before shit gets real bad if I was you.

26. Truth Buster on Tue, 13th Aug 2019 3:50 pm

Daisy, he would probably hang himself. He is chronically depressed and a drug addict.

27. Truth buster on Tue, 13th Aug 2019 3:51 pm

Boney joe is his whole life

28. Sissyfuss on Tue, 13th Aug 2019 3:58 pm

So Texas retired a few coal fired power plants. But they have been emitting CO2 and mercury for many decades. And now the rising temps from those emissions may force Texas to build new coal power plants to run all the AC needed. But the chumps for Trump will never make any connection to the cause and effect or to reality in general.

29. JuanP on Tue, 13th Aug 2019 4:08 pm

I’m staying til the bitter end Davy, old friend. Too many Americans rely on me. How about you? Are you going to keep building that monestary for all those St. Louis folk? Or are you moving to Europe before all hell breaks loose?

30. DerHundistLos on Tue, 13th Aug 2019 6:22 pm

Love and Kisses from Don J. Chump to all non-human life on earth:

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – The Trump Administration took steps on Monday to significantly weaken the U.S. Endangered Species Act, prompting state attorneys general and conservation groups to threaten legal action to protect at-risk species.

31. Troll Buster on Tue, 13th Aug 2019 6:38 pm

“Too many Americans rely on me.”

juanpee, you are an egotistical lazy bum stealing from Americans. Go back to your failed sud murika and help it fail some more.

32. JuanP on Tue, 13th Aug 2019 7:21 pm

I’ll admit Davy, I’m only volunteering my time to help out a few hundred Americans with my community outreach programs. I’m sure your monestary can support a few thousand people from St. Louis, at least for a day or two. Good on you for doing so much unselfish work for all of those other Americans. PM me your address and I promise to send you a postcard from the family estate in failed sud murika. I might even send flowers for your funeral celebration.

33. Davy on Tue, 13th Aug 2019 7:28 pm

“I’ll admit Davy, I’m only volunteering my time to help out a few hundred Americans with my community outreach programs.”

Well please give us some details so we can investigate further OH wonderful trollpee. I could give a shit what you do dumb fuck. What you are doing currently is ruining this forum for selfish satisfaction. If we relate what you are doing here then most normal people would say you are not capable of community outreach. Besides, you are trolling me 20/7 so I doubt you are doing very much. Go fuck yourself

34. Davy on Tue, 13th Aug 2019 7:34 pm

Oops, sorry for losing my widdle temper again everyone. I need to get that shit under control soon. After the collapse it’ll get my dumbass lynched, or worse.

35. JuanP identity fraud on Tue, 13th Aug 2019 7:39 pm

Davy on Tue, 13th Aug 2019 7:34 pm

36. I AM THE MOB on Tue, 13th Aug 2019 9:45 pm

Gay parents flee Russia with kids: ‘The authorities could take the children away

Putin now committing genocide against children.

hit him hard and take the oil and gas!

37. Davy on Tue, 13th Aug 2019 11:46 pm

It’s impossible for gays to procreate MOB. There not there kids.

stupid dumbass

38. Cloggie on Wed, 14th Aug 2019 12:06 am

Putin now committing genocide against children.
    hit him hard and take the oil and gas!

What genocide? He is separating, not killing, you liar.

Besides, he kicked your ass in Syria, you idiot.
    You can’t even beat dwarfs from tiny Vietnam.
    You let yourself being kicked out of tiny Iraq, that is now owned by Iran.
    And in 2019 at least half of your cannon fodder are coloureds.

You’re a joke.

39. makati1 on Wed, 14th Aug 2019 12:11 am

40. Cloggie on Wed, 14th Aug 2019 12:12 am

Eat that, egalitarians!

“Frank de Boer: ‘Equal pay at international level now would be ridiculous’”

41. Cloggie on Wed, 14th Aug 2019 12:17 am

“Davy, being gay does not mean incapable, just not interested, mostly. However, some parents ARE gay but not out. Some, who want kids, make arrangements with other gays of the opposite sex to produce one.”

I know a lesbian in my near environment who hoped that her feelings would go away through hetero sex. It didn’t. She now has two beautiful hetero kids.

42. Cloggie on Wed, 14th Aug 2019 12:22 am

You’re a smoker, it is just that you don’t know it.

“Air pollution in cities ‘as bad for you as smoking 20 cigarettes a day’, says study”

Another good reason to kill fossil.

43. makati1 on Wed, 14th Aug 2019 3:37 am

Or at least move out of the city. Maybe my health is good because I spent less than 15% of my live in or near cities/

Fossil, and all other net energy sources are shrinking on their own, including renewables, except plants turning sunlight into calories. The sun will continue to do that for a few billion more years, IF humans don’t kill off all the plants before they go extinct.

Man-made renewables will end shortly after FFs. They will end when they wear out and/or breakdown. Planned obsolescence. Twenty years? Less? I may even live to see that day. After all, I am only 75. LOL

44. Davy on Wed, 14th Aug 2019 5:29 am

“makati1 on Wed, 14th Aug 2019 12:11 am

Another day another stupid response from makato fooled by juanpee. makato, you would think your best friend would use some secret code with you for his ID theft. You look so dense.

45. Davy on Wed, 14th Aug 2019 5:35 am

“Remainers Routed: 54% Say UK PM Should Deliver Brexit By Any Means”
    https://tinyurl.com/y5863dtp money mavin via zero hedge

“A new Comres poll shows 54% support Brexit by any means, even suspending Parliament, if necessary. A tipping point has been reached. UK citizens are so sick of Brexit delays they just want Prime Minister Boris Johnson to get it over with.”

46. Davy on Wed, 14th Aug 2019 5:48 am

“Becoming The “Gray Man”
    https://tinyurl.com/y3jmv4fr shtf via zero hedge

“The “gray man” survival concept isn’t new in preppers’ circles, but it’s also something a lot of questions are asked about. Becoming a “gray man” essentially means strategically not drawing attention to yourself to avoid conflict…You want to be as invisible as possible, so while keeping with the general tone of attire others are wearing, you’ll want to make sure you wear muted colors, avoid prints (yes, even camouflage), and don’t accessorize. Avoid any military-style clothing. That makes a statement and ensures you will not appear invisible to others. Hide any distinguishable markings such as a birthmark or tattoos. These will make you easily identifiable. You also want to appear non-threatening and make sure your demeanor matches your attire. Don’t go all out and cover your face with a bandanna under a hood. That will suggest that you’re up to no good. Instead, wear a baseball cap and give off the “vibes” of someone who is not doing anything at all except existing. Be boring, but walk as though you have a purpose. Minimize interactions with all people, especially those you do not know. Once the SHTF, you’ll have more enemies than friends especially if your friends have failed to effectively prepare for the bad times.”

47. I AM THE MOB on Wed, 14th Aug 2019 6:03 am

Clogg

Separating children from their parents is an act of genocide.

Source: UN

And yes that means Trump committed genocide against children as well.

The media doesn’t tell you that one though.

48. Dredd on Wed, 14th Aug 2019 6:04 am

“‘Unprecedented’ fires spread through the Arctic”

Donald Dump thinks it is because of “dirty forests” … wrong again DD.

The seaports are endangered by all of the official-dumb ignorance afoot (Seaports With Sea Level Change – 4).

49. I AM THE MOB on Wed, 14th Aug 2019 6:54 am