Page added on December 6, 2018

Beef-eating ‘must fall drastically’ as world population grows

Beef-eating ‘must fall drastically’ as world population grows thumbnail

People in rich nations will have to make big cuts to the amount of beef and lamb they eat if the world is to be able to feed 10 billion people, according to a new report. These cuts and a series of other measures are also needed to prevent catastrophic climate change, it says.

More than 50% more food will be needed by 2050, according to the World Resources Institute (WRI) report, but greenhouse gas emissions from agriculture will have to fall by two-thirds at the same time. The extra food will have to be produced without creating new farmland, it says, otherwise the world’s remaining forests face destruction. Meat and dairy production use 83% of farmland and produce 60% of agriculture’s emissions.

Increasing the amount of food produced per hectare was the most critical step, the experts said, followed by cutting meat-eating and putting a stop to the wasting of one-third of food produced.

“We have to change how we produce and consume food, not just for environmental reasons, but because this is an existential issue for humans,” said Janet Ranganathan, vice-president for science and research at the WRI.

Tim Searchinger, of the WRI and Princeton University, said: “If we tried to produce all the food needed in 2050 using today’s production systems, the world would have to convert most of its remaining forest, and agriculture alone would produce almost twice the emissions allowable from all human activities.”

The new report, launched at the UN climate summit in Katowice, Poland, follows other major scientific analyses showing that huge reductions in meat-eating are “essential” to avoid dangerous climate change. Another found that avoiding meat and dairy products was the single biggest way to reduce an individual’s environmental impact on the planet, from slowing the annihilation of wildlife to healing dead zones in the oceans.

The world’s science academies concluded last week that the global food system was “broken”, leaving billions of people either underfed or overweight and driving dangerous global warming. Another new report concluded that the global food system required “radical transformation” if climate change and development goals were to be met, including “widespread dietary change”.

After increased productivity, the WRI report focuses on meat from ruminant animals. The digestion of cattle and sheep produces methane, a potent greenhouse gas. Beef provided 3% of the calories in the diet of US citizens but was responsible for half the emissions, the WRI said.

The report recommends that 2 billion people across countries including the US, Russia and Brazil cut their beef and lamb consumption by 40%, limiting it to 1.5 servings a week on average. Most of the world’s citizens would continue to eat relatively little beef in the WRI scenario.

But Searchinger said: “The world’s poor people are entitled to consume at least a little more.” The 40% reduction is a smaller cut than in other studies. “We think that is a realistic goal,” he said. “In the US and Europe, beef consumption has already reduced by one-third from the 1960s until today.”

Tobias Baedeker, of the World Bank, said farmers would require a lot of support to make the changes required but that redirecting the world’s huge subsidies could be a “game-changer”. Subsidies of more than $590bn (£460bn) a year are given to farmers in 51 nations, representing two-thirds of global food output, according to the OECD. In the US, these subsidies halve the current price of beef, the WRI says.

The sophisticated marketing and behaviour-change strategies that food companies already used to influence customers could help shift diets, said Ranganathan, as could governments encouraging less meat in schools, hospitals and other public institutions.

Other changes to farming that are needed, according to the WRI, include better feed to reduce methane production from cows, limiting biofuels made from food crops, managing manure and fertiliser better and cutting energy use by farm machinery. It also said the overall demand for food could be cut, with policies to curb population growth such as “improving women’s access to education and healthcare in Africa to accelerate voluntary reductions in fertility levels”.

The WRI report was launched at the UN climate summit in Poland where almost 200 nations are aiming to turn the carbon-cutting vision set out in Paris in 2015 into reality. The rapid ramping up of action is another key goal. Climate action must be increased fivefold to limit warming to the 1.5C scientists advise, according to the UN.

theguardian

52 Comments on "Beef-eating ‘must fall drastically’ as world population grows"

1. Davy on Thu, 6th Dec 2018 7:03 am

It is not clear cut like the fake greens want us to believe. I raise grass fed beef and goats. They are part of a multispecies grazing system. The goats are meat goats but I generally find homes for them as breeding stock. My calves I raise will most likely end up in a feed lot so I am part of this system that must change. I am trying my best to limit fossil fuel input to my system. It is extremely difficult to eliminate fossil fuels and still make a living IOW the system penalizes anyone who thinks he can decouple from our capitalistic global economy. I have hay equipment that is on the low end of the horsepower range. I do small scale hay that is selective and timely meaning I can get in and get the best stuff at the right time at least theoretically. This is not cheap. It is cheaper to buy from the big operators but I am dedicated to a message so I do different. Making good hay is a tough activity. I want to get an electric tractor I can charge with a solar system but there is nothing commercial in the US I know of. Europe is starting to go that way and maybe some of that will come over here. Transporting animals is another issues. I have a 1ton Dodge dully truck for hauling hay and animals. I have a tractor and skid steer to maintain the farm. I have a low stocking rate so my fossil fuel needs are much less than a large industrial cattle operation but I still need them. I am one person generally with my wife helping. You see the situation I am in even with my focus on permaculture this equipment and fossil fuels are still a must.

The alternative to industrial agriculture must be subsidized. We need to go quasi Amish style arrangement where animals and forage go hand and hand with a permaculture arrangement following seasonality and localization. This includes the farmer being as much off the grid as possible with a farmstead of gardens, orchard, and grapes as an example. He needs chickens and other small animals for meat. Pigs are needed. It requires a wood lot for heat. It also requires a hydrologic strategy for water management. A nutrient cycle for fertilizer and waste control. Of course there are so many different farming arrangements but the point is this is a system, it is local, seasonal, and a polyculture with multi-species of plants and animals all wrapped up in a local community. It in non-consumeristic and low foot print. This is not going to happen in the west except where the economic system allows it through subsidies direct and indirect. Increasingly in the sustainable 3rd world these arrangements are being destroyed by economics. For such a system to be sustainable there must be a community to make this work. The Amish have this but they are increasingly dependent on the capitalistic world they live around. They populate too much for their own good.

The best we can do now that our world has been changed so completely is a hybrid of industrial agriculture and the old ways of semi-self-sufficient farmstead communities. Add to that the science of permaculture. Practice relative applications of all this per one’s ability and what the local environment allows. It requires downsizing and lower production. It requires incorporating natural areas into the equation because they are the filters and they provide alternative forage and foods. It requires industrial society making room for this and sacrificing short term efficiency and production for resilience and sustainability.

In regards to beef and the future sure we need less grain fed beef and beef exported beyond local places. Yet, there is no way we can eliminate meat from our diet. So much of the earth is only fit for grazing. Animals are an excellent way to concentrate solar energy into edible calories. This has been a staple of humans since we left the trees. We are not going to eliminate meat but we can eat less and eat grass fed instead. We can eat locally raised meat. We will pay more and have less. Fast food will not survive this change but should it. Fast food is killing us. We need to eat more fruits and vegetables but likewise they should be locally grown and the monocultures used for export reduced. This is not only about meats it is about all foods. This article is typical out of MSM grasping for ways to square climate change and agriculture. More of the cake and eat it shit of denial of trade-offs and excuses for unsustainability. Behavior and preferences are the real issues and the hardest to fix. We need to be reducing globalization and consumerism of food. We need to start eating different which includes not eating fruits and vegetables out of season from monocultures. We need to seriously look at population issues. Instead we will do like MSM does and claim if we do this we will be OK instead of saying we are on an unsustainable path. People are not going to stop eating beef and dairy products. They will be here because of the economies of scale. There are regions where only meat can be grown period. If you take grazing away you kill these regions. The corn and soybean markets are likewise fixed and dedicated to meat production. Changing something this huge is impossible economically in this day and age. These areas are not going to be switched to fruits and vegetables. We are stuck with what we have. We should be working at the edges for a transformation of sorts similar to renewables. All of this is just partial solutions for a predicament that can’t be fixed. It is kicking the can down the road. We cannot maintain this path but we can try to avoid the worst too quickly. If we care about our species then we want to avoid an excessive degree and duration of destructive change.

2. Эй, братья, пожалуйста, ударьте антиамериканскую собаку, которую я сделал из гранитного форума on Thu, 6th Dec 2018 7:09 am

above is supertard obv.
    hey juanp could you tell me why you attack him? sure i have issues with “sky daddy” and monkey biz “dropping out of trees” type evolution but who would agree 100% with anyone?

take the bean bag and leave bro. i’m not giving you more. that’s enough for you and to share with your buddies on the trek home

3. Davy on Thu, 6th Dec 2018 8:28 am

4. Chink nuker on Thu, 6th Dec 2018 8:28 am

The fucking chinks need to be nuked. They are developing a taste for beef with their small penis’s. They need to be stopped and their women sold to Americans for anal sex.

Fucking gooks all look alike they are inferior to Caucasians.

5. Эй, братья, пожалуйста, ударьте антиамериканскую собаку, которую я сделал из гранитного форума on Thu, 6th Dec 2018 8:35 am

We fuckum young
    Hello, my name is Paultardo
    I am a Retardo
    I live on 99 Retardo Street
    I like to sit on the steeple
    And vomit on the people
    My name is Paultardo

Come on now, everybody join in….

6. Эй, братья, пожалуйста, ударьте антиамериканскую собаку, которую я сделал из гранитного форума on Thu, 6th Dec 2018 8:38 am

Sure, I’ll go just as soon as you stop sucking off of the American taxpayers teat for your monthly Social Security Disability Income check AND, for the first time in your life, try holding down a job- any job- for more than five consecutive work days before being terminated.

Sound like a deal?

7. Davy on Thu, 6th Dec 2018 8:44 am

“I raise grass fed beef and goats.”

Yep, I’ve got your MO down to a science, Scum.

8. This is JuanP on Thu, 6th Dec 2018 9:54 am

Davy on Thu, 6th Dec 2018 8:28 am How many more times must I remind you people of: Up the butt and through the penis. Whether it be a very brief cornholing or a brisk corn-husking, it matters not to me just so long as I get my pussy serviced.

Davy on Thu, 6th Dec 2018 8:44 am “I raise grass fed beef and goats.” May or more likely not be true. One never knows given the constant lies and changing storyline. Let’s assume for a moment you do what you say. What you’re doing is nothing more than a hobby. You like playing Mr. Farmer. You like playing the part of Mr. Farmer as you drive into town with your big, shiny pick-um-up truck. If not for daddy’s trust fund, you would be seriously fucked. Since you don’t play nice with other people except for fellow loonies, you could never hold down a regular job that requires you to interact with people. Yep, I’ve got your MO down to a science, Scum.

9. Davy on Thu, 6th Dec 2018 10:25 am

10. This is JuanP on Thu, 6th Dec 2018 10:35 am

Davy on Thu, 6th Dec 2018 10:25 am I did not write the 1800 word word salad essay at 7:03 above. I run a farm. I don’t have that much free time on my hands.

11. Davy on Thu, 6th Dec 2018 10:44 am

I do not run a farm. I have all day long to post meaningless word salad essays on PO.com.

12. This is JuanP on Thu, 6th Dec 2018 10:49 am

Davy on Thu, 6th Dec 2018 10:44 am

13. This is Davy on Thu, 6th Dec 2018 10:55 am

This is JuanP on Thu, 6th Dec 2018 10:49 am
    Davy on Thu, 6th Dec 2018 10:44 am

14. This is JuanP on Thu, 6th Dec 2018 10:57 am

This is Davy on Thu, 6th Dec 2018 10:55 am This is JuanP on Thu, 6th Dec 2018 10:49 am
    Davy on Thu, 6th Dec 2018 10:44 am

15. Antius on Thu, 6th Dec 2018 11:03 am

The production of meat allows human beings to extract food from land that is not suitable for agriculture. Used properly, it boosts the number of calories accessible to human beings.

It is only in the modern era that humans have perverted this tidy arrangement, by feeding arable crops to animals as their main source of calories; thereby reducing the total amount of food available to humans.

Aquaculture is far more productive per acre and per unit energy consumption than bovine. It can also be used to serve other functions, such as water purification, reed production, recreation, low-head pumped storage, etc.

16. Davy on Thu, 6th Dec 2018 11:04 am

I loves me a good debate. It’s soo simulating.
    Now excuse me. I have work to do.

17. This is JuanP on Thu, 6th Dec 2018 11:31 am

“Davy on Thu, 6th Dec 2018 11:04 am I loves me a good debate. It’s soo simulating.
    Now excuse me. I have work to do.”

18. This Is JuanP on Thu, 6th Dec 2018 11:46 am

Whoever gets the last word in wins the debate.

I win again! Dumbasses.

19. Davy on Thu, 6th Dec 2018 11:47 am

Wrong, This is JuanP.

I win!!

20. This is JuanP on Thu, 6th Dec 2018 11:48 am

Nope. I do!!!!

21. Davy's soon to be ex-wife on Thu, 6th Dec 2018 11:55 am

Stop playing on the internet and get some goddamn work done for a change!

22. This is JuanP on Thu, 6th Dec 2018 12:43 pm

This Is JuanP on Thu, 6th Dec 2018 11:46 am Whoever gets the last word in wins the debate. I win again! Dumbasses. Davy on Thu, 6th Dec 2018 11:47 am Wrong, This is JuanP. I win!! This is JuanP on Thu, 6th Dec 2018 11:48 am Nope. I do!!!! Davy’s soon to be ex-wife on Thu, 6th Dec 2018 11:55 am Stop playing on the internet and get some goddamn work done for a change!

23. Эй, братья, пожалуйста, ударьте антиамериканскую собаку, которую я сделал из гранитного форума on Thu, 6th Dec 2018 3:04 pm

good thing anontard no longer here attacking supertard. juan take the bean bag and adios amigo

24. Эй, братья, пожалуйста, ударьте антиамериканскую собаку, которую я сделал из гранитного форума on Thu, 6th Dec 2018 3:30 pm

putin dictator is very scared right now. he already backed down on ukraine shipping lane and now supertards want to start a new cold war which could bankrupt russia, all due to putin’s doing. he makes small countries around him wanting to join NATO

25. makati1 on Thu, 6th Dec 2018 6:27 pm

“Meat and dairy production use 83% of farmland”

“Americans eat about the same amount of meat as we have for some time, about eight ounces a day, roughly twice the global average. At about 5 percent of the world’s population, we “process” (that is, grow and kill) nearly 10 billion animals a year, more than 15 percent of the world’s total….an estimated 30 percent of the earth’s ice-free land is directly or indirectly involved in livestock production… the majority of corn and soy grown in the world feeds cattle, pigs and chickens…. about two to five times more grain is required to produce the same amount of calories through livestock as through direct grain consumption…”

26. makati1 on Thu, 6th Dec 2018 6:34 pm

Boris, Russia does not have to borrow money to build its military. The US does, or print it, to the tune of over one Trillion per year. Yes, $1,000,000,000,000+/year. SMIC (Security Military Industrial Complex) numbers.

Don’t you understand finance? Today’s Russia is not the USSR and today’s US is definitely not Regan’s US. Not even close. The US is the one who will fail this time. Wait and see.

27. Davy on Thu, 6th Dec 2018 6:36 pm

“If beef consumption ended, the world could feed at least one billion more people with just the saved grain.”

Can you map how that would work out there billy?? I am trying to follow the economics and the science of it.

28. claes on Thu, 6th Dec 2018 6:58 pm

davy, this stolen ID thing is annoying. Please explain how it can happen, and why you haven’t done anything about it.

29. Davy on Thu, 6th Dec 2018 7:11 pm

Talk to JuanP, Mr. claes. It is his dirty work. Why do you think I call him dirty juan! Names are not password protected so I can use your name now if I like. In the past this rarely happen because most felt it a matter of decency not to steal identities. Our broad clown has now decided identity theft is his new debating style. He is also routinely uses sock puppets. Boney Joe is one of his primary socks he has been using for months. JuanP invented Boney Joe in July when he went off his meds. He has been doing these personality games for months now on and off. Lately he has become extreme and is now basically unhinged and dysfunctional. He has not made a rational comment in weeks. Nothing I can do about it. Many people here are fed up with it except maybe makati1 who is cheering him on.

30. abdiel on Thu, 6th Dec 2018 7:46 pm

We to stop eating cattle and start eating endangered species like Elephants and Rhinoceros in order to save them from extinction.

31. Pete Bauer on Thu, 6th Dec 2018 7:54 pm

30 vegetable varieties
    10 root vegetable varieties
    10 bean varieties.

By mixing and matching these vegetables and some fruits, we can make 1,000 + dishes and there is no need to eat meat.

Instead of feeding the corn and fishes to the cows and then eating them, we can eat the corn and fishes directly.

32. dissident on Thu, 6th Dec 2018 7:57 pm

Lies, damned lies and statistics. The acreage used for livestock farming does not substitute for crop growth. In fact, livestock can take advantage of land that would be unused. So 83% is a BS, meaningless number.

The authors of this anti-proper-diet propaganda who are pushing the 100% carb diet plan and hence full bore heart disease, diabetes and Alzheimer’s, are not interested in dealing with the fact that raising beef can actually sequester CO2:

I hear some clowns chirping about CH4 emissions from cattle. Well, just the rice paddies alone emit the same CH4 amount as all the livestock agriculture. Stopping the raising of meat will not remove enough CH4 emissions to matter.

33. claes on Thu, 6th Dec 2018 8:08 pm

Davy, Who owns pukeoil and why won’t they protect user names ??????
    In my opinionation it should be easy to make that little extra security

34. boney joe on Thu, 6th Dec 2018 8:59 pm

“Please explain how it can happen, and why you haven’t done anything about it.”

Yeah, Davy, inquiring minds want to know why you haven’t done anything about your usage of various JuanP screen names.

35. Free Speech Forum on Thu, 6th Dec 2018 9:08 pm

Who has the perfect life? Would you want to be anyone else?

Who can live without making mistakes or having regret?

If you were General Lee, would you be proud that you almost won the Civil War or have regret that you betrayed your country?

If you were Henry Ford, would you be proud that you were successful or have regret that you helped pollute the environment?

If you were Walt Disney, would you feel like a winner or have regret that you supported bread and circuses that distracted Americans?

If you founded Mcdonald’s, would you feel proud or have regret that you helped make Americans fat?

If you started Apple, would you feel proud for getting rich or have regret that you helped bring ‘1984’ to the USA?

If you were Reagan, would you feel proud that you supported freedom or have regret that you got divorced?

If you were Pope John Paul II, would you feel proud that you were moral or have regret that you never married?

If you were Snowden, would you regret throwing away your life by telling ungrateful Americans about government abuse or feel proud that you did the right thing?

36. Steve on Fri, 7th Dec 2018 1:03 am

This article places the blame on western countries. However, most of the worlds recent population increase has been outside of the western world. Why is this our fault? Or our problem? Tell them to quit having so many babies before you tell us we can’t eat meat.

37. makati1 on Fri, 7th Dec 2018 1:49 am

Steve, but you seem to forget that the consumption of the West is multiples of that in the “other countries” per capita. I guess that fact interferes with your delusion that “THEY” are to blame. Bet you are a typical American exceptionalist.

Lets see Americans living on the resources of an African. That is about $5,000 per capita, per year today vs ~$60,000 for an American. Now, prove that THEY are the cause of YOUR problems, snowflake.

US ~$60,000 per capita/yr
    China ~$16,600 ” ”
    India ~$ 7,000 ” ”
    Phils ~$ 8,300 ” ”

If you cannot buy, you cannot consume.

38. The Truth Shall Set You Free on Fri, 7th Dec 2018 4:01 am

Where’s the beef? We have the beef so read on people. You will gain perspective into the behaviors exhibited by some.

Have you ever wondered what explains the cult like reverence of “Davy”, “Antius”, “Cloggie” and most members of the Republican party for Dear Leader Trump? We now have a working hypothesis. Researchers from Columbia and New York University examined voting patterns by geographic area with internet search term frequency. The study results pointed to a strong positive correlation between support for Trump and particular internet search topics. The results were shocking, although logical.

Trump’s base support comes from older White males who suffer from Fragile (Toxic) Masculinity Syndrome.

The following internet search terms had the strongest positive correlation with support for Trump:

• “How to get girls”;
    • “Penis enlargement”;
    • “Penis size”;
    • “Errectile Dysfunction”;
    • “Hair Loss”;
    • “Steriods”; “
    • Testosterone”;
    • “Viagra”.

Trump ditto-heads lack these traits- traits they perceive define masculinity. Therefore, they are innately attracted to a leader who projects these traits.

Examples of Trump’s alpha masculinity as perceived by Trump ditto-heads:

• Trump uses a combination of a hair piece and he has had hair transplantation surgery (pubic hair was transplanted onto his scalp) because he’s too proud to admit he’s bald.
    • Trump’s bullying behavior is perceived by his supporters to be a manly man.
    • Frequent golfer.
    • He eats McDonalds almost every day.
    • He’s a billionaire with a hot wife who married him for his money.

39. peakyeast on Fri, 7th Dec 2018 4:41 am

This is the most ignorant stupid development I have seen for a long time… I should stop eating meat – so that poor, uneducated, religious moron families can continue to get more than 2 children? – Forever??? Will 10 billion be enough for these idiots?

40. peakyeast on Fri, 7th Dec 2018 4:44 am

“Avoiding meat and dairy is ‘single biggest way’ to reduce your impact on Earth “…

Written by idiots who has no clue about what the significant impacts are…

41. Davy on Fri, 7th Dec 2018 5:17 am

Did you read that billy? People like peak have no interest in a change to lifestyle promoting Asian and African overpopulation.

42. This is JuanP on Fri, 7th Dec 2018 5:20 am

Davy on Fri, 7th Dec 2018 5:17 am

43. Эй, братья, пожалуйста, ударьте антиамериканскую собаку, которую я сделал из гранитного форума on Fri, 7th Dec 2018 5:22 am

aswange please stop letting your blind hatred for supertards america to cloud your judgement
    ure an ideologue not a thinker

44. Davy on Fri, 7th Dec 2018 5:31 am

“Les Miserables? France Overtakes Denmark As World’s Most Taxed Nation”

“Vs the OECD average of 34.2%, French taxes amount to 46.2% of GDP. Denmark, Sweden, Italy, and Greece round out the top five. In addition to the blue ribbon, what else does France get? Riots Amusingly, it was a promise delivered: Macron Promised a Revolution, He Got One, Against Himself In response, I offer this bit of political advice: Politicians Beware: It’s Best Not to Deliver What You Actually Promise. How Did This All Start? Good question. Macron raised diesel taxes to pay for the global warming reduction effort that he campaigned for. Where Are We Now? That’s another good question. In response to the riots, please note: France Suspends Diesel Tax Hike.”

45. This is JuanP on Fri, 7th Dec 2018 5:32 am

This is JuanP on Fri, 7th Dec 2018 5:20 am Davy on Fri, 7th Dec 2018 5:17 am

46. Antius on Fri, 7th Dec 2018 5:33 am

JuanP, I am still waiting for you to make at least one semi-literate energy related comment. Davy can do it. Can you?

47. The Truth Shall Set You Free on Fri, 7th Dec 2018 5:38 am

48. This is Davy on Fri, 7th Dec 2018 5:41 am

Antius on Fri, 7th Dec 2018 5:33 am

49. The Truth Shall Set You Free on Fri, 7th Dec 2018 5:41 am

PBUH sweet.

50. This is JuanP on Fri, 7th Dec 2018 5:46 am

The Truth Shall Set You Free on Fri, 7th Dec 2018 5:38 am We are indeed most grateful to Messrs. “Davy” and “Anti-US” for their illustrative feedback, which provides anecdotal acceptance of the Fragile (Toxic) Masculinity Syndrome hypothesis. This is Davy on Fri, 7th Dec 2018 5:41 am The Truth Shall Set You Free on Fri, 7th Dec 2018 5:41 am PBUH sweet.