Page added on March 21, 2020

America “should begin work immediately” on building fusion reactor

Alternative Energy

The US should begin work immediately on designing and building a pilot fusion reactor, according to a landmark report by a group of scientists, politicians and industry.

The study, produced by the plasma physics division of the American Physical Society, based in Princeton University, argues that America should play a more prominent role in developing fusion power.

Nathan Ferraro (pictured), a researcher at the Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory (PPPL), and the co-chair of the report, said the US should take “bold steps to make fusion energy a reality, to expand our understanding of plasma physics, and to use that understanding to benefit society”.

The 199-page document, put together over the past year with the help of hundreds of scientists and engineers from many professional societies, makes a number of recommendations, including the construction of a fusion pilot plant that “produces net electricity and thereby establishes the scientific and technological basis for commercial fusion energy”.

At present, the US has been a somewhat unenthusiastic participant in the ITER project to build a demonstration fusion reactor in the south of France.

In 2017, the Trump administration cut America’s contribution to the scheme from a scheduled $105m to $50m.

The report recommends that the US should sustain full membership in ITER.

It is intended to help the US Department of Energy develop a strategy for its Fusion Energy Sciences programme.

The document calls for partnerships with other offices and governmental agencies, as well as with private industry and international partners, to enact the full recommendations of the strategic plan.

“We are encouraged to see that this process brought the community together to recognise the full scope of this challenge, and that coordinated, multidisciplinary research and development is needed to achieve our goals,” Ferraro said.

globalconstructionreview.com

113 Comments on "America “should begin work immediately” on building fusion reactor"

1. JuanP on Thu, 26th Mar 2020 9:15 am

For anyone that cares. I am the pink poodle. But all of y’all already new that.

2. JuanP on Thu, 26th Mar 2020 9:17 am

I go over to the moderated side because Davy has kicked my ass again. I can’t stand beeing over hear and looking like a looser. Davy is write calling me stupid and uneducated.

3. REAL Green on Thu, 26th Mar 2020 10:37 am

“I am going crazy.”

Thats why were posting under JuanPees handle with a picture of a pink poodle Davy.

We lost are widdle mind.

4. Davy on Thu, 26th Mar 2020 10:56 am

I am extremely depressed and suicidal these day. Everything is a danger condition for a person like me and the virus. I am in my cabin locked down with nothing to do. I am crazy

5. supremacist muzzies jerk on Thu, 26th Mar 2020 11:06 am

big green goat….take chill pill or brief cornholin or brisk cornhuskin. ur choice

6. JuanP on Thu, 26th Mar 2020 11:13 am

I am crazy.

Thats why I posting under pink poodle handle with a picture of a pink poodle.

I lost are widdle mind.

7. JuanP on Thu, 26th Mar 2020 11:14 am

I am extremely depressed and suicidal these day. Everything is a danger condition for a person like me and the virus. I am in my condo locked down with nothing to do but stare at the pool 5 stories down. I am crazy and I am thinking of diving in.

8. supremacist muzzies jerk on Thu, 26th Mar 2020 11:15 am

big pink poodle….take chill pill or brief cornholin or brisk cornhuskin. ur choice

9. REAL Green on Thu, 26th Mar 2020 11:32 am

Are widdle pink poodle thang is REAL Nuts Davy.

We need to see the docter. REAL Bad like…

10. JuanP on Thu, 26th Mar 2020 11:34 am

Are widdle pink poodle thang is REAL Nuts juanPee.

I need to see the docter. REAL Bad like…

I am going over to the moderated side where people ignore me because I am a lunatic.

11. Davy on Thu, 26th Mar 2020 11:40 am

I won’t go to the members section cus it’s moderated. And I no I’d get my ass permanently bannned. And cus I’m a looser.

12. JuanP on Thu, 26th Mar 2020 12:11 pm

Are widdle pink poodle thang is REAL Nuts juanPee.

We need to see the docter. REAL Bad like…

13. JuanP on Thu, 26th Mar 2020 12:12 pm

I went to the members section cus it’s moderated and I won’t get my ass kicked by Davy in debat And cus I’m a looser.