Page added on March 12, 2018

Kunstler: School Daze

Public Policy

Sunday night was Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos’s turn through the CBS 60-Minutes wringer of censure with a visibly frustrated inquisitor Lesley Stahl trying to hector her into self-incrimination. The sad truth about American schools is that they’re a mirror for the painful collapse of the society they supposedly serve — a process ongoing for decades before Ms. DeVos came on the scene.

The expectation that some uber-regent can or ought to fix public education is bound to disappoint a news media searching for saviors. The further we leave the 20th century behind, the more anomalous its organizing principles look, especially the idea of preparing masses of young people for mass, regimented work at the giant corporate scale.

There’s a big divergence underway between the promises of schooling and the kind of future that the 21st century is actually presenting — of no plausible careers or vocations besides providing “therapy” and policing for the discontented masses stewing in anomie and compensatory pleasure-seeking, with all its nasty side effects. In the meantime, we’re stuck with wildly expensive, out-of-scale, giant centralized schools where the worst tendencies of human status competition are amplified by smart phones and social media to all but eclipse classroom learning.

Education in the years to come is destined to become more of a privilege than a right, and it will probably depend more on how much an individual young person really desires an education than just compelling masses of uninterested or indisposed kids to show up everyday for an elaborate and rather poorly supervised form of day-care. But it’s difficult to let go of old habits and obsolete arrangements, especially when we’ve spent countless billions of dollars on them.

I call the future a World Made By Hand because it is going to be entirely unlike the sci-fi robotic fantasy that currently preoccupies the thought-leaders in this culture. A lot of what will be required in this time-to-come will be physical labor and small-scale skilled work in traditional crafts. There never were that many job openings for astronauts, not even in the 1960s, but in the decades ahead there will be none — notwithstanding Elon Musk’s wish to colonize Mars.

Even if you believe the current model of education must be defended and “fixed,” two issues stood out in Ms. DeVos’s interrogation. One was the question of behavior in the classroom. The Dept of Education under Mr. Obama put out a directive to reduce suspensions of black and Hispanic students because they were being punished at a greater rate than whites and Asians and it looked bad.

Lesley Stahl tried to put over this idea as if it were just a matter of racial animus.

“…let’s say there’s a disruption in the classroom,” she said, “and a bunch of white kids are disruptive and they get punished, you know, go see the principal, but the black kids are, you know, they call in the cops. I mean, that’s the issue: who and how the kids who disrupt are being punished.”

I doubt that it happens that way. Rather, it’s probably the case that there is more disruption among the black student demographic, and probably more violent disruption. The reasons may range from bad parenting (especially absent fathers), inability of students to express themselves (and subsequent frustration) due to poor language skills that are not corrected in school, and the victim narrative that emanates from the universities and distorts culture everywhere else. But to actually state that would be branded as “racist,” so the authorities have to dissemble acrobatically to evade the truth, and in the end it’s learning that suffers.

The other issue was the Obama-era directive (“guidance,” they call it) that sexual misconduct be prosecuted more aggressively by colleges and universities. That led to an era of campus kangaroo courts in which due process of law was cast aside in favor of medieval-style star chambers where the accused had no right to a lawyer, or cross-examination of their accusers, and other established legal protections. Apparently, the producers of 60-Minutes thought that was a good idea, and that Betsy DeVos should not attempt to change it.

Of course, school shootings are the most shocking symptom that something has gone terribly wrong in the system we’ve set up for occupying children and teens. It will be very hard to do anything about that without turning the buildings into something like medium security prisons. We’ve already managed to design them to look like that, but now we’re seriously talking about turning teachers into armed guards. And I’m sure we’ll be spending additional billions to fortify the entrances with metal detectors and officers to mind them. That will only shove the school districts a little closer to bankruptcy.

I felt a little sorry for Ms. DeVos. She seems to understand, at least, that the trend is taking us away from the system we currently know to some uncharted territory of social organization.

Kunstler

99 Comments on "Kunstler: School Daze"

1. Davy on Tue, 13th Mar 2018 5:45 am

“I don’t ‘hate’ anybody MM. Hate is a useless human emotion.”
    You are the most hateful person on this board. You are a backstabbing stalker and pricker who wants to start fights whenever you can. Maybe that is why you are in therapy.

“If you honestly believe that governments are ‘by the people, for the people’, then you are much dumber than you have already proven yourself to be.”
    Stupid, government is by the people and for the people but it has been corrupted to by interest groups for interest groups. It is still groups of people in competition for the pie. It has always been this way except for very rare occasions in history. Get a grip you immature little whiner.

2. Davy on Tue, 13th Mar 2018 5:51 am

“If Davy isn’t a plant, then he is what we affectionately referred to in the banking industry as a ‘useful idiot’. Either way, the guy is a complete loser.”
    Wounded ego, see what happens when you stalk and prick the wrong person. You get your ass neutered and moderated. You selfishly pack this board with your stalking and pricking. You obsessively start them and then obsessively continue them until the board is full of your bile. Your strategy is having the first prick and the last. I guess in your sick mind that means you won. The truth is everyone loses and the truth is dirtied. The best thing that could happen to this board is you getting off. I have commented far less lately to let others voices be heard. It is so nice when you are gone because others can talk and not worry about your stalking and pricking. Thank god billy third world is gone. He was even worse.

3. Davy on Tue, 13th Mar 2018 5:53 am

“But George Soros, Paul Krugman, Noel Ignatiev and millikike, seconded by absolute dummies like davy, will howl that we are all equal and that whiteness needs to be abolished.”

For the record, Paul Krugman is a bumbling idiot and George Soros is a criminal. I could give a shit who Noel Ignatiev is. Go choke on a potato ball extremist.

4. Davy on Tue, 13th Mar 2018 5:58 am

“Davy is an enabler Cloggie, and judging from his five year long rampage here, he is more than likely a ZOG plant.”

Davy moderates wounded white supremist Nazi egos and makes them piss their pants. You bullies can’t have the run of the board here. Extremism is very hard to defend because it is riddled with inconsistencies. Greggie I have kicked you ass so many times you are now obsessed with me. You threatened to come down here and find me. You wanted also to ass fuck me. (Documented on this board). You told me to check my mail because I guess you are sending white powder or a bomb. You are a wack job greggie and so is your white supremist cabal. I just laugh at you because you belong in therapy daily but maybe more because you are a gun freak too. When will you break?

5. Davy on Tue, 13th Mar 2018 6:11 am

“Davy, every so often I have to make a post like this because you just don’t seem to get it, do you? I know that this is hard for you but I want you to try and THINK for a moment why there are so many posters on here that are anti-US government?”
    Dumba, you don’t post much because you are, well, “dumba” and your post are so predictable. They boil down to I hate Americans. I am an Australian and like many Canadian I want to hide behind my anti-Americanism to avoid scrutiny to my part played in all this. I am an accomplice in all this but I want to blame it all on the Americans. I am an Australian and complicit in global crimes it is just my nation is so small and insignificant. I am a loud mouth buffoon who wants to tell everyone how loud mouthed Americans are. I still remember your stupid Vietnam story about the drunk American. That is you dumba projecting

“You must have no conscience or heart whatsoever if you cannot see the damage your country has inflicted on humanity.”
    I am here on an American critical site with gangs of anti-Americans extremist. I am trying to make this discussion moderate, balanced, and honest. You extremist refuse to show respect so you get none in return. You can’t stand that because you pussies have such big egos. I would like for you to be in my shoes and have 4 or 5 guys attacking you in series. IMA, all from the home team. I am not going to put up with frontal attacks by gangs of anti-Americans from Canada, Australia, and Europe. Notice how you pussies rarely point your fingers back at yourself. Bring it on because gang attacks just strengthen me.

“Then just maybe you might get some idea why you spend your life defending such an arrogant, bloodlust of a country.”
    I don’t laydown and let extremist from the Anglosphere attack me and my country unjustly and out of context. Stay on topic you stupid millennial Australian. Go find yourself a nice anti-American site and quit trying to turn this one into one.

6. Davy on Tue, 13th Mar 2018 6:13 am

There cleanup the scum left from last night. It took a lot of bleach today.

7. Dooma on Tue, 13th Mar 2018 7:31 am

I have mentioned this plenty of times before. I am not even close to being proud of my government, or it’s actions. They are all a bunch of corrupt pigs, selling everything they can to the highest bidder.

Are you proud of your government Davy?

You bring it on to yourself.

8. MASTERMIND on Tue, 13th Mar 2018 8:13 am

Clogg

You are going full blown tin foil hat again! You are a total whack job! George Soros and MS-13 are hiding under your bed! LOL

9. joe on Tue, 13th Mar 2018 8:38 am

One of societies greatest enemies is psychology. They told the black man he was a slave, and so he was, then they told him he was free but to shut up and go drink at his own tap, so he did. Then they told him he had rights and should be angry so he got his rights and became angry, now they tell him all his feelings are valid and should be respected and that the law will support his equality (blame affirmative action), so of course he will call the cops cause when the black man gets angry cause he feels his rights are being trampled on cause he does not want to listen to the white teacher then who is partially to blame.
    Fault and blame and responsibilities of citizens have been eliminated, every stupid kid gets a disorder to cling to, to avoid the truth he’s just stupid, every minority gets a sorry back story to cling to to validate their feelings of jealousy and hate against the majority. We live in the society where people should not have to feel bad about themselves, so we give them stories to hold on so they can feel justified in their irrational hatreds. It helps those in the privledge majority sleep better at night cause they cant live with themselves for taking from those who were weaker, other generations could, many in this generation can, those who can’t we call liberals. Thats all.

10. GregT on Tue, 13th Mar 2018 8:40 am

“There cleanup the scum left from last night. It took a lot of bleach today..”

You haven’t cleaned up anything Davy. The words are all still there for everyone to read.

More delusions.

11. GregT on Tue, 13th Mar 2018 8:56 am

“I don’t laydown and let extremist from the Anglosphere attack me and my country unjustly and out of context.”

It is not your country Davy. It does not belong to you. You belong to it. You are a number Davy, a source of income, or cannon fodder if need be. Nothing more.

‘They’ do not give a rat’s ass about ‘you’.

12. Maplepeg on Tue, 13th Mar 2018 9:56 am

Another racist rambling from Kunstler. Too many black single parents? Check. Bad black grammar? Check. Black false victim narratives? Check. Racially segregated neighbourhoods; racially determined tax bases for schools; statistical information about police charge and incarceration rates when police are placed in schools; diversion of school funding to for-profit and for-religion causes; all missing from Kunstler’s world. As per usual.

13. DerHundistlos on Tue, 13th Mar 2018 11:33 am

@ asg70

You are indeed correct Kunt’s frequent postings on this topic or homosexuality or transgenderism, etc. are off-topic, but he’s writing for the audience that pays his salary. He knows how to push their buttons and by enraging the alt. right he generates $$$$$$$.

14. Antius on Tue, 13th Mar 2018 11:52 am

“Another racist rambling from Kunstler.”

15. Davy on Tue, 13th Mar 2018 12:03 pm

“Are you proud of your government Davy?”
    Nope, and I challenge to document where I am.

“I have no trouble at all with self-deprecation. Something you pretend to do. But always end up flag-waving.’
    Sorry, you are a dedicated anti-American and that is the focus of most of your comments. Your side notes are “OH, and my government stinks too”. You do this to make others think you are balanced. You devote 98% of your comments to bashing Americans.

“I am not in a “gang”. I do not PM anybody else. I think you are getting paranoid now.”
    AH, what do you call the combination Nazi and anti-American rally last night you participated in? Yea, you usually prick me when others are doing it. I guess it gives you cover or something.

“I POLITELY asked you to check out two pieces of information. But I guess that the truth is something that you already know quite well, or you just can’t deal with it.”
    You pretended to be polite but the reality is you are gang pricking. Plus you were not politely asking me to check out anything you were telling me what I should read.

“You are by far the most vocal on this site so don’t be surprised that you feel the need to defend yourself all the time. You bring it on to yourself.”
    Nope, I moderate and neuter extremist anti-Americans like you and the others that are really just a gang of goons out to bash Americans. Pathetic.

16. Davy on Tue, 13th Mar 2018 12:09 pm

“It is not your country Davy. It does not belong to you. You belong to it”

Shut up you ultranationalist anti-American Canadian. You are such a fake and a liar. I love my country so go choke on something. I don’t need you to be telling anything because you are a backstabbing liar and hypocrite. Your advice means nothing and you have very little intelligence. This is why you resort to stalking and pricking Americans. It makes you feel smart or something but instead it shows just how empty and ugly you are inside. You make what you want of your country. I take care of my local and that is what matters to me.

17. Davy on Tue, 13th Mar 2018 12:11 pm

“He makes no attempt to protect anyone’s ‘feelings’. He doesn’t care how offended anyone is. He says it as it is, and is usually on the mark.”

I agree Antius

18. GregT on Tue, 13th Mar 2018 12:12 pm

“”Please do a couple of things? Watch this rare documentary as told by the Vietnamese about the war there, from their perspective:

“And please read “Confessions of an economic hitman” by John Perkins?”

“Please just do these two things?”

That certainly doesn’t sound like Dooma was telling you what to read Davy.

19. GregT on Tue, 13th Mar 2018 12:14 pm

“You make what you want of your country.”

Canada is set up as a crown corporation Davy. It does not belong to me.

20. Davy on Tue, 13th Mar 2018 12:17 pm

greggie, you are on the home team so you guys can back slap all you want and make all the points you want to make each other feel good. You can’t even see your bias. Stay on topic and you will stay out of trouble. That is your problem and your gang’s problem. You can’t stay on topic and you want to control the forum. That is not going to happen with me.

21. Davy on Tue, 13th Mar 2018 12:21 pm

“Canada is set up as a crown corporation Davy. It does not belong to me.”

Canada is a stupid country with far too many people like you that are wealthy and miserable. You pathetic Canadian intelligentsia (so called) spend your days stalking and pricking Americans. I guess this gives you meaning and self-worth. What a disgusting people and unfortunately our neighbors. I would trade Russia as a neighbor in a heartbeat, at least Russians are tough and honest.

22. GregT on Tue, 13th Mar 2018 12:22 pm

There is no team or gang Davy, other than in your own paranoid delusions.

“Paranoia involves intense anxious or fearful feelings and thoughts often related to persecution, threat, or conspiracy.”

“Paranoia can become delusions, when irrational thoughts and beliefs become so fixed that nothing (including contrary evidence) can convince a person that what they think or feel is not true.”

“Some identifiable beliefs and behaviors of individuals with symptoms of paranoia include mistrust, hypervigilence, difficulty with forgiveness, defensive attitude in response to imagined criticism, preoccupation with hidden motives, fear of being deceived or taken advantage of, inability to relax, or are argumentative.”

23. GregT on Tue, 13th Mar 2018 12:33 pm

“Canada is a stupid country with far too many people like you that are wealthy and miserable.”

Canada has a population of 36 million people Davy, with 36 million different opinions, 36 million different levels of wealth, and 36 million different levels of happiness.

24. Davy on Tue, 13th Mar 2018 12:37 pm

Greggie, I am playing you like the fruit cake you are. You are so obsessed and gullible it is not difficult. Why is it you are in therapy? Is it anger issues and obsessive compulsive disorder? Is that why you retired and decided to live off your wife? Are you mentally disabled? I know from some of the things you have said and done on this board show you have a screw or two lose.

25. GregT on Tue, 13th Mar 2018 12:40 pm

Davy,

Your emotional and psychological issues are crystal clear for all to see.

26. Davy on Tue, 13th Mar 2018 12:41 pm

About 1/3 of Canada is populated by asswipes like you that hate Americans. The others are sheeple and likely some of them are fine people. It is the people like you that give Canada a bad name. I tell anyone that ever asks what I think of Canada. Until I met Canadians like you and several others on this board I had the highest regards for Canada. Good job greggie being an ambassador for your country. I know you could give a shit because for you it is a tax farm. No wonder you country is going down the drain.

27. Davy on Tue, 13th Mar 2018 12:43 pm

“Your emotional and psychological issues are crystal clear for all to see.”

psychological projections. Get back to therapy soon greggie before you ruin your family life.

28. GregT on Tue, 13th Mar 2018 12:56 pm

“Until the latest of our world conflicts, the United States had no armaments industry. American makers of plowshares could, with time and as required, make swords as well. But now we can no longer risk emergency improvisation of national defense; we have been compelled to create a permanent armaments industry of vast proportions. Added to this, three and a half million men and women are directly engaged in the defense establishment. We annually spend on military security more than the net income of all United States corporations.”

“This conjunction of an immense military establishment and a large arms industry is new in the American experience. The total influence — economic, political, even spiritual — is felt in every city, every State house, every office of the Federal government. We recognize the imperative need for this development. Yet we must not fail to comprehend its grave implications. Our toil, resources and livelihood are all involved; so is the very structure of our society.”

“In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the militaryindustrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist.”

“Another factor in maintaining balance involves the element of time. As we peer into society’s future, we — you and I, and our government — must avoid the impulse to live only for today, plundering, for our own ease and convenience, the precious resources of tomorrow. We cannot mortgage the material assets of our grandchildren without risking the loss also of their political and spiritual heritage. We want democracy to survive for all generations to come, not to become the insolvent phantom of tomorrow.”

“Disarmament, with mutual honor and confidence, is a continuing imperative. Together we must learn how to compose differences, not with arms, but with intellect and decent purpose. Because this need is so sharp and apparent I confess that I lay down my official responsibilities in this field with a definite sense of disappointment. As one who has witnessed the horror and the lingering sadness of war — as one who knows that another war could utterly destroy this civilization which has been so slowly and painfully built over thousands of years — I wish I could say tonight that a lasting peace is in sight.”

-Dwight D. Eisenhower

29. GregT on Tue, 13th Mar 2018 1:05 pm

“About 1/3 of Canada is populated by asswipes like you that hate Americans.”

More paranoid delusions. I don’t hate anybody Davy. Hate is a useless human emotion.

30. MASTERMIND on Tue, 13th Mar 2018 1:29 pm

Greg

31. Cloggie on Tue, 13th Mar 2018 1:43 pm

About 1/3 of Canada is populated by asswipes like you that hate Americans.

(I post this with pain in my heart)

#DieBergKomtEr
    (“that mountain is going to be build”)

We are going to crush you all.lol

32. Cloggie on Tue, 13th Mar 2018 1:47 pm

There cleanup the scum left from last night. It took a lot of bleach today.

Davy missed his calling with his goats. It should have the cleaning industry all along.

33. GregT on Tue, 13th Mar 2018 3:06 pm

“Ironic you would talk about paranoid. Considering you call government tax farms. And you were talking about the creature from Jekyll Island book.”

What’s not to like about a small group of uber rich agriculturalists, industrialists, and central bankers, creating a self serving ponzi schemed system, that would ultimately lead to an entire nation mired in exponentially growing mountains of un-repayable debt, and that in it’s very nature requires infinite exponential growth, without which it would collapse in on itself?

And MM, I’m not the one who is constantly displaying paranoia about that impending economic collapse. That would be you. I am a firm believer in a steady state economy.

34. Davy on Tue, 13th Mar 2018 3:11 pm

35. GregT on Tue, 13th Mar 2018 3:19 pm

“(I post this with pain in my heart)”

I’m not sure why you would? The Netherlands has half the population of Canada, and 1/18th of the population of the USA.

I’d say that the Dutch kicked ass.

36. GregT on Tue, 13th Mar 2018 3:23 pm

“Greggie, your issue is worse than paranoia. You are psychotic with hate and resentment. At least paranoid people can be legitimately paranoid. You are illegitimate and obnoxious. You stalking and pricking of Americans has become an obsession. You really need to get back to your therapist.”

More of your usual paranoid delusions Davy. You’ve gone off of the deep end buddy.

37. MASTERMIND on Tue, 13th Mar 2018 3:30 pm

Greg

38. GregT on Tue, 13th Mar 2018 3:44 pm

“You can’t have a steady state because without growth the economy goes into a deflationary death spiral…”

Only because of a fiat money, created out of thin air, with interest attached. AKA, usury.

39. Antius on Tue, 13th Mar 2018 4:18 pm

“(“that mountain is going to be build”)”

Instead of a fake mountain, why not plant some trees? A few forests would add a lot more to the Netherlands than a fake mountain that costs billions of Euro to build.

40. Cloggie on Tue, 13th Mar 2018 5:04 pm

“What is the point? The place is famous for being flat. It isn’t beautiful as such, but it is one of the most striking landscapes I have seen.”

In both 2014 and 2018 Holland was 1 gold medal behind the US in the winter olympic medal table. That situation is intolerable. We need to widen our competences and not solely rely on speed-skating, but add skying, bobsleigh, jumping, etc.

2000m height at least. Let’s bring it on! A mountain for a few gold-medals to finally beat the US.

41. Davy on Tue, 13th Mar 2018 6:33 pm

Neder, do you have an inferiority complex?

42. fmr-paultard on Tue, 13th Mar 2018 6:48 pm

how can eurotard live a happy life when his entire existence is bemoaning a conspiracy that killed a tons of nazi’s, his brethens.

poor eurotard the biggest victim ever lived.

43. Anonymouse1 on Tue, 13th Mar 2018 6:49 pm

Is there any idea or notion that is too stupid, even for you to embrace cloggraham? Or is the bar so low for you at this point that pretty much anything goes?

44. Boat on Tue, 13th Mar 2018 8:07 pm

In Western Kansas the land is very flat and cut into 1 sq mile chunks. The world’s wheat basket. On a calm dry day you speed around the 4 mile treck at high speed to catch your own dust.

45. Amur on Wed, 14th Mar 2018 12:09 am

I don’t think Kunstler is racist.
    He is just a product of his culture and environment. He never stopped watching and reading mainstream media so he is brainwashed like almost everybody else out there.

Yes, his reason tries weakly to dig into the issues but he goes back to the old standbys – police is there to protect us, economy is the most important thing and liberals are good people.

46. Cloggie on Wed, 14th Mar 2018 1:19 am

Neder, do you have an inferiority complex?

No, you have, mr Borscht eater.

Why would I have an inferiority complex if tiny Holland can threaten the New Colossus in Olympic medal tables or agrarian export?

Anonymouse1 has proven not to understand sarcasm or the difference between bro and “bro” and now he shows that he can’t see through a prank, nobody takes serious, apart from the mouse and the exceptionalist.

What DO you understand?

I don’t think Kunstler is racist.

Kunstler belongs to a group that is the most racist on earth, to the tune that they not only believe to be “Gods Chosen People”, but even self-deify and see the rest of the world as goyim/cattle, especially their American serfs.

Every serious nation is “racist”. If they don’t, they wouldn’t be a nation in the first place. America is not a nation, not in a long shot, but an amorphous territory on the map, filled with incoherent and incompatible human material from all corners of the globe, exactly how the YouKnowWho owners created it and would like to see the rest of the world to become also.

#OpenSocietyProgram

Message from the rest of the world to Washington: not interested. Are you ready for war? China, Russia, Islam, populist Europeans and Americans can drink your blood. That’s too much, so you’re toast. In a decade or so the US empire will no longer exist. Perhaps even this year.

The Good Lawd send Michael Gorbachev to terminate the Soviet Empire.

And now he has send the Trumpster to do the same to the US empire.

47. Davy on Wed, 14th Mar 2018 5:06 am

“Neder, do you have an inferiority complex?”

Neder, confident people don’t play the games you do. They don’t try so hard to impress. There must be many things for you to be embarrassed about.

48. Dredd on Wed, 14th Mar 2018 11:36 am

The sea level daze is a result of the school daze (Sea Level Change Update).

49. DerHundistlos on Wed, 14th Mar 2018 2:42 pm

Antius,

You say Kunt “is usually on the mark”. Are you kidding? Must we go through another exercise that proves Kunt’s forecasting accuracy is -99% (perhaps you may be able to locate a single accurate prediction)?

I know you agree with the overall theme of Kunt’s current positions, but to deny reality…..