Page added on July 10, 2018

Oil shocks will hit region hard

General Ideas

Fuel prices are rising. More oil shocks have been predicted, and we remain unready to face a new age that is approaching rapidly.

Some may not have heard of “peak oil”. If so, I suggest Googling it up.

Alerts: This year Exxon Mobil has warned us to prepare for demand-driven oil shocks. Last year, Saudi Arabia’s energy minister Khalid A. Al-Falih warned us to expect an oil supply shortage by 2020.

When it hits, our region will be hard hit. We still lack a functioning rail link or coastal shipping facilities to offset any road transport problems.

Admittedly, the world is moving on to electric cars and bicycles, but heavy transport remains almost totally reliant on fossil fuels.

Oil unavailability or un-affordability will drive us to alternative energy, but before long it will be alternative everything.

Petroleum is part of nearly everything, even jobs.

Peak oil and its impacts have been delayed by shale oil and new drilling technologies such as fracking and horizontal drilling, along with deep sea and oil sand extraction, keeping us addicted to oil that much longer.

With millions of the world’s people homeless, lacking adequate food and clean water, ongoing fossil-fuel-use habits are now morally unacceptable.

The consequences of continuing as we do now are likely to be irreversible.

Using even 20 percent of the known, extractable fossil fuel reserves would jeopardise the basic necessities of human life.

The madness of it all.

Thank God we have a Government that sees the futility of searching for more of this product that threatens our future.

I want a world for our kids and grandkids. What about you?

Bob Hughes

gisborneherald.co.nz

210 Comments on "Oil shocks will hit region hard"

1. Cloggie on Wed, 11th Jul 2018 2:54 pm

“And your book from Amazon is a conflict of interest because the author is selling it to make money.”

The point was that Irving ended up in jail for having the unacceptable views on history.

2. GregT on Wed, 11th Jul 2018 2:59 pm

“I had no problem emailing and asking an energy economist and expert if the global economy would collapse..”

And for every ‘energy economist and expert’ who agrees with him, you will likely find far more who don’t.

3. MASTERMIND on Wed, 11th Jul 2018 3:00 pm

Alex Jones vows to push anti-vax views next time he talks to Trump

4. MASTERMIND on Wed, 11th Jul 2018 3:05 pm

Greg

At least I put my arguments to the test..You and clog wont even try..Which proves you know they are bullshit..

You both are just two tin foil hat nutjobs..Birds of a feather..

5. GregT on Wed, 11th Jul 2018 3:11 pm

You don’t know what my ‘argument ‘ is MM, and my take comes from a history prof, who the last time I looked her up was at Cambridge. That, and a lot of reading. I learned a very long time ago not to believe everything that I’ve been told to believe, especially not from people who have been proven time and time again to be liars and manipulators.

6. GregT on Wed, 11th Jul 2018 3:13 pm

And you didn’t put your argument to the test MM, you found somebody who supports you assertions. If that is even true, which given your track record, is probably more of your usual BS.

7. Cloggie on Wed, 11th Jul 2018 3:41 pm

Croatia-England 2-1
    Finally a Brexit that went smooth.

Final Croatia- “France” or Europe-Africa.

8. Cloggie on Wed, 11th Jul 2018 4:04 pm

Trump wants to double defense spending to 4% gdp:

Not going to happen.

9. Makati1 on Wed, 11th Jul 2018 5:30 pm

Here’s one for you, Delusional Davy:

“The Power Of Delusion”

“… he so desperately wants this image he has of himself to be true, that he has convinced himself it is fact.”

Perhaps it is for MM also? Some of are rational and see ourselves for what we really are. Others, not so much.

10. Boney Joe on Wed, 11th Jul 2018 5:40 pm

Denial (aka DDT):

Juan has every justifiable right to respond to the daily insults of Davy. Stop picking sides and learn the facts before commenting. You might learn something.

“Can’t people just stick to the facts instead of infantile insults?”

Claiming someone is crazy is a perfect example of an infantile insult. You know, pot calling kettle black.

11. Boney Joe on Wed, 11th Jul 2018 5:44 pm

“Alex Jones vows to push anti-vax views next time he talks to Trump”

No doubt President Orange Pumpkinhead will buy into the conspiracy, with the Fox and Friends seal of approval.

12. Boney Joe on Wed, 11th Jul 2018 5:47 pm

MASTERMIND:

My heart really goes out to the youth of the world…..

“Since I turned 18 I have witnessed..

The stolen 2000 election

9/11

The neverending “War on Terror”

The Iraq War

The housing bust

The Great Recession

The middle class destroyed

The election of Trump

Nazis marching in the streets

My whole country going insane

Please tell me it gets better.”

13. Davy on Wed, 11th Jul 2018 6:00 pm

14. Davy on Wed, 11th Jul 2018 6:02 pm

15. GregT on Wed, 11th Jul 2018 6:30 pm

And it isn’t yours either Davy. That would be another one of your delusions based on a lifetime of indoctrination, propaganda, and brainwashing.

Those in control could care less about you. They don’t even refer to you as citizens anymore, only mindless consumers.

16. MASTERMIND on Wed, 11th Jul 2018 6:30 pm

Greg

You wont ask anyone because your arguments are baseless..Just emotional fantasy..Like your doomsday prepping..

17. GregT on Wed, 11th Jul 2018 6:32 pm

“I asked a professor of oil and energy economics working in one of America’s largest oil producing states..”

Ask several more and get back to me. One man’s opinion does not constitute a fact.

18. GregT on Wed, 11th Jul 2018 6:34 pm

“3rd world, do you have any links for senior moments because you are having them regularly these days.”

So what’s your excuse Davy? Makati1 routinely makes far more sense than you do.

19. JuanP on Wed, 11th Jul 2018 6:38 pm

Delusional Davy “Bony Juan, your are a stupid resident alien from Uruguay and this country you hate is not yours.”

I don’t hate any countries, exceptionalist, none whatsoever. I don’t hate anyone or anything. Hating is exhausting. That is all part of your “anti-American” conspiracy bullshit. You are the problem, and it is not anti-American to point out the truth.

20. Makati1 on Wed, 11th Jul 2018 6:38 pm

MM anyone can ask their chosen “expert” any thing and get an answer that supports the questioner’s bias.

For instance, Ask Elton Musk if his Tesla is a good car. What do you expect him to say? “No, it is dangerous piece of junk!” Of course he is going to say it is the best car on the market.

Likewise an “expert” is going to promote his beliefs and support where his income originates. You were indoctrinated at college to believe that “experts” are gods when they are really mostly just arrogant, self-promoters, like yourself.

21. Makati1 on Wed, 11th Jul 2018 6:41 pm

“…it is not anti-American to point out the truth.”

Right on, Juan.

But Americans don’t want to hear the truth. It hurts too much and destroys their illusions.

22. MASTERMIND on Wed, 11th Jul 2018 6:43 pm

Greg

Don’t worry you will be dead soon when some the lynch mobs throw a brick through your window..We both know you are a rich man..

23. MASTERMIND on Wed, 11th Jul 2018 6:46 pm

MM

The expert I asked isn’t some doomsdayer..Its just common sense..The soviet union collapsed in two years from an oil shortage.And the global economy will likely do the same..

24. Makati1 on Wed, 11th Jul 2018 6:59 pm

No MM, the USSR collapsed because of a number of reason, not oil. You might educate yourself…

“…among the greatest reasons for the collapse of the Soviet Union was their being afflicted with their leader Brezhnev, who was overtaken by pride and arrogance…”

Sound familiar Trumpets? LMAO

25. GregT on Wed, 11th Jul 2018 7:04 pm

“Just be honest..Your WW2 theories are baseless..And you are scared shitless of a collapse happening in the near term..”

I don’t have any theories about WW2, only well documented evidence, and as far as the collapse is concerned, bring it on, the sooner the better. I have no desire for a global mass extinction event caused by modern industrial society.

26. Makati1 on Wed, 11th Jul 2018 7:11 pm

“…as far as the collapse is concerned, bring it on, the sooner the better. I have no desire for a global mass extinction event caused by modern industrial society.”

I agree, Greg. The sooner it happens the better for every living thing on the planet. Not to mention that it will probably end the empire and its ability to bully the rest of the world. Today would be ok with me. I’m prepared as are you.

27. MASTERMIND on Wed, 11th Jul 2018 7:17 pm

Madkat

Russia’s oil production peaked in 1989

And two years later they collapsed..

28. MASTERMIND on Wed, 11th Jul 2018 7:20 pm

Madkat

Peak Oil And The Fall Of The Soviet Union: Lessons On The 20th Anniversary Of The Collapse

29. GregT on Wed, 11th Jul 2018 7:44 pm

You obviously know about as much about the fall of the USSR as you do about WW1 and WW2 MM, and Russian oil production has not peaked yet.

30. Makati1 on Wed, 11th Jul 2018 7:48 pm

MM, you have no proof that that oil was the cause. It was the one I posted. Us sponsored leadership and oligarch greed.

BTW, a Us business propaganda rag is your source? LMAO! Don’t you think for yourself? Nah! You prove over and over that you don’t. You just parrot propaganda that you were brainwashed with. Stupid American sheeple!

31. MASTERMIND on Wed, 11th Jul 2018 7:50 pm

Greg

It did peak..The data proves that..And since then they opened up to free markets ie private industries that brought in EUR technologies that have created a second peak..But the IEA thinks they are likely to peak again around 2020..

IEA: Russia’s oil output to reach its peak in 2020

32. MASTERMIND on Wed, 11th Jul 2018 7:53 pm

Madkat

Look at the chart I posted of Russian oil production you stupid moron..Or read the article I posted from BI..

33. MASTERMIND on Wed, 11th Jul 2018 7:54 pm

Greg

I never said I knew anything about WW1 or WW2..You did..I just challenged you to get it fact checked by an expert and you refuse..

The truth fears no questions..

34. GregT on Wed, 11th Jul 2018 7:55 pm

Russian oil production has not peaked yet MM, and I have read many different sources predicting many different dates as to when Russian oil production might possibly peak. Nobody knows for sure, and likely won’t know until the peak is in the rearview mirror.

35. fmr-paultard on Wed, 11th Jul 2018 7:59 pm

bony juantard you say gaysex didn’t change you as if it’s ghospel. how convenient. being a tard and former paultard means i’m a supertard. I’m not ok.

36. GregT on Wed, 11th Jul 2018 8:01 pm

“I just challenged you to get it fact checked by an expert and you refuse..”

I don’t care in the least about your ‘challenges’ MM. As far as I am concerned you are an immature intellectual lightweight who continually lies, and exaggerates about everything. A typical narcissistic, psychopathic, and sadistic troll.

37. GregT on Wed, 11th Jul 2018 8:04 pm

“I’m not ok.”

No doubt, everyone here would agree with you paultard, except perhaps for your Supertard Davy. Who is also a retard, just like you.

38. MASTERMIND on Wed, 11th Jul 2018 8:06 pm

39. Makati1 on Wed, 11th Jul 2018 8:06 pm

MM, Business Insider for a ref on the USSR collapse! LMAO

40. GregT on Wed, 11th Jul 2018 8:09 pm

“A long fuse: ‘The Population Bomb’ is still ticking 50 years after its publication”

And the longer it continues on, the bigger the die off will be. The sooner that MIS collapses, the better.

Bring it on.

41. fmr-paultard on Wed, 11th Jul 2018 8:12 pm

gret you’re not on my target because anyone getting advice from PhD gf during sex is too taboo for me to even contemplate.

for the record i destroyed aswang and schooled eurotard. you go back and read what i said …

i don’t waver. i destroyed derhund the tard by asking for evidence of probing. his response “FBI investigated”. I put to rest the theory of cattle mutilation and little green man. you have nothing original other than what your PhD gf told you during sex.

42. GregT on Wed, 11th Jul 2018 8:27 pm

I don’t have a PhD gf, retard, and my wife and myself don’t normally have intellectual discussions while having sex.

Judging from many of the comments here originating from US Americans, it’s no wonder why the entire country has become the laughing stock of the world.

Very sad.

43. Makati1 on Wed, 11th Jul 2018 8:48 pm

The Us is insane. The only sane Americans are getting out before the cell bars close. And, yes they are closing. Already over 300,000 cannot leave because their passports have been pulled by the IRS. With over 60,000 pages of tax laws on the books, the IRS can stop anyone who pays taxes anytime they want. No court required.

“The walled fortress in the name of security becomes the fully enclosed prison. Only the direction of the top tier of barbed wire…inward or outwardly pointing…reveals the nature. We the taxpayers pay for the cage, a prison that expands by the day. There will no longer be a need to keep everything outside of the pasture. The cattle will be kept in, and the wolves are already inside as well.”

BTW: The author…”Jeremiah Johnson is the Nom de plume of a retired Green Beret of the United States Army Special Forces (Airborne). Mr. Johnson is also a Gunsmith, a Certified Master Herbalist, a Montana Master Food Preserver, and a graduate of the U.S. Army’s SERE school (Survival Evasion Resistance Escape). He lives in a cabin in the mountains of Western Montana with his wife and three cats.”

44. MASTERMIND on Wed, 11th Jul 2018 8:51 pm

Madkat

The author is an herbalist..with three cats..Thanks for sharing…/s

I don’t understand why you even care whats happening in America…You live on the other side of the earth and it doesn’t make any difference..Its like you have a sick and twisted fetish of enjoying seeing others suffer..

45. GregT on Wed, 11th Jul 2018 8:55 pm

“Its like you have a sick and twisted fetish of enjoying seeing others suffer..”

You can always move MM, nobody is stopping you.

46. GregT on Wed, 11th Jul 2018 9:19 pm

Yet.

47. MASTERMIND on Wed, 11th Jul 2018 9:44 pm

Greg

I can’t move..I don’t have that option..I can’t just leave everyone and everything I know..I don’t have a wife that would move with me..My gf doesn’t even know I am a doomer for gods sake..I tried to talk to her one time about the limits to growth study..And when I started to explain it her eyes almost shot out of their sockets..I damn near scared her to death..She simply can’t handle this subject..Its very, very hard for people my age to accept this stuff..

48. MASTERMIND on Wed, 11th Jul 2018 9:45 pm

Madkat

China’s Silk Road Isn’t So Smooth

So much for the silk road! And China was your only hope..

Price is right (Fail Horn)…

LMFAO!

49. Makati1 on Wed, 11th Jul 2018 9:45 pm

MM is a coward and intellectually crippled by his ‘education’. He wants everyone to suffer because he has to. I’m sure there is a name for that in the world of psychiatry, but it does not come to mind at the moment.

The US is going down. Davy and MM want the rest of the world to suffer first, even more, but it ain’t gonna happen. The rest of the world will just move on. The Us never will.

They put down anyone who is obviously more intelligent and experienced with real life. They are immature, arrogant, narcissistic sheeple. They deserve the cage being built round them. Moooo! Or is it Baaaah! LOL

50. Makati1 on Wed, 11th Jul 2018 9:47 pm

Why is it that when I read a comment from MM, I get the picture of a fat little boy with his thumbs in his ears going Nah Nah Nah Nah? LOL