Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

World wide Humanitarian crisis

For discussions of events and conditions not necessarily related to Peak Oil.

Re: World wide Humanitarian crisis

Unread postby onlooker » Sat 14 May 2016, 15:33:23

I have a slightly different take on Overpopulation relative to humanitarian crisis. I see an obscenely unequal and unjust world. A world whereby 62 persons own as much wealth as 1/2 the worlds population. Where one fifth get to live in relative comfort and abundance while the other four fifths live in squalor. Ignoring for a moment the issue of sheer numbers of people and how we are very overpopulated, I find the cavalier attitude of seamlessly now transitioning to lifeboat ethics as one further insult to the sense of caring and solidarity among humans. As those more fortunate close the doors on those less fortunate , let us at least concede this further injustice of the trajectory of the human species. After all money is just an extension of the brutal ethos of might makes right.
“When the last tree is cut down, the last fish eaten and the last stream poisoned, you will realize that you cannot eat money.”
onlooker
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 14 May 2016, 15:36:07

Ibon,

You know the guy here who stymies me is Cog. I haven't figured him out yet. I like reading his posts because under the trolling BS there is a thoughtful person. Thoughtful in the sense that he has reasoned arguments even if I don't agree with the reasons.

The reason I bring this up is your Carlins comparison. Cog, I believe, would not get it, would not see that there should be some consistency.

And I think a LOT of folks think like Cog. He is a sort of Everyman, a spokesman for the ruling autocracy. I don't know how to address him in such a way as to get through. There is a invisible wall that, to me, defies explanation or logic.

Perhaps Carlin, through humor, could. Although, truth be told, later in life he was not very humorous, if you thought he believed in what he said, and I did. I admired him all the more for it.

Look at that, as I was writing Cog jumped in to make my point.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 14 May 2016, 15:39:06

Cog wrote:Because Ibon, humans aren't chickens, or amoebas, or whatever lower species you would wish to categorize us as.

Humans have value. If not to the planet, at least within their own group.

So then, it is OK to eat the fetus of someone outside your group! Lovely!
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby onlooker » Sat 14 May 2016, 15:39:50

Cog wrote:Because Ibon, humans aren't chickens, or amoebas, or whatever lower species you would wish to categorize us as.

Cog, I am amazed you and I are agreeing on something. I happen to foremost care about humans above and beyond other species.
“When the last tree is cut down, the last fish eaten and the last stream poisoned, you will realize that you cannot eat money.”
onlooker
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby onlooker » Sat 14 May 2016, 17:48:15

Another full fledged humanitarian disaster it seems they are now springing up everywhere. This time Yemen. http://reliefweb.int/report/yemen/fao-y ... 9-may-2016
onlooker
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 14 May 2016, 18:16:13

onlooker wrote:

Cog, I am amazed you and I are agreeing on something. I happen to foremost care about humans above and beyond other species.

Of course you do, your human. That is just reacting to genetic programming

If you think about it, how could humans exist without other species?

I get gut reactions, it's the cerebral considerations that are more interesting.

The genetic reactions got us where we are. Think it through.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby onlooker » Fri 16 Jun 2017, 17:24:34

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... .html?_r=0

Overpopulated and Underfed:
Countries Near a Breaking Point
onlooker
Fusion
Fusion

Previous

Return to Geopolitics & Global Economics