Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Will aluminum Ford F-150 be a rolling beer can?

How to save energy through both societal and individual actions.

Re: Will aluminum Ford F-150 be a rolling beer can?

Unread postby Hawkcreek » Mon 07 Nov 2016, 11:38:04

I confess, my go to town pick-up is a 2 wheel drive Toyota Tacoma, just because it gets 25 MPG. My pick-up around the homestead is a 1990 4x4 F-150, which is needed to get up my mile long, goat path driveway in the winter. And my walkabout camping vehicle is a 1977 Chevy 1 ton van, which is leaving in about a week to look for scenic views for my Canon 5D to admire. I think I am going to skip the snow this year.
Except I may go skiing in Utah a couple of times.
Anyway, I like all types of vehicles, honest. Typical Murican semi-gearhead.
"It don't make no sense that common sense don't make no sense no more"
John Prine
Hawkcreek
Expert
Expert

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Mon 07 Nov 2016, 13:17:53

Hawk - And I'll admit to my dose of pu envy. When buying my current handicap vehicle they had a 4x4 Chevy crewcab. Very cool: the entire driver's side (both doors) slid out on a beam with an elevator: back my wheelchair in and hit a botton: elevator goes up and the beam slides me in front of the steering wheel. And since I drive bad lease roads in the oil field the 4wd is easily justified...at times. But I usually rock the lease road and drill pad so don't need 4wd that often. When I do I just have a hand drive me in.

Just couldn't justify the exra $35k. Which is why instead of driving a very cool handicap pu I drive a f*cking handicap Toyota minivan. LOL.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Hawkcreek » Mon 07 Nov 2016, 13:53:10

Rock,
Its only money, and life is short. Buy the fancy PU. As a former oil field hand, I don't regret a penny of the money I pissed away over the years. You can't take it with you, and the kids would probably just spend it on a hot rod Camaro for themselves.
John Prine
Hawkcreek
Expert
Expert

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Mon 07 Nov 2016, 14:58:46

Hawk - "Its only money, and life is short." So true. OTOH I have a daughter planing to go to Texas A&M in a couple of years. And even with a 4.1 GPA it won't be free. Plus being 65 yo with MS I tend to focus on not pissing away her inheritance. And then there's that used Chevy crewcab I helped my country girl buy earlier in the summer when she turned 16.

Dads with daughters...we don't stand a f*cking chance. LOL. But I have thought about renting that 4x4 for week just to watch the shocked look on the faces when the entire side slides out and I roll out in my power chair. Just not sure they'll rent it.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby litesong » Mon 07 Nov 2016, 21:16:40

Hawkcreek wrote:Rock,
Its only money, and life is short. Buy the fancy PU.

We got two Elantras, one for under $13,000. Each has gotten 45mpg & 200,000 miles look like their travel distances.... but few trips to repair shops. I'll spend tens of thousands of dollars less than you, have more fun, & won't worry about philosophy or children to which you didn't teach the value of money.
litesong
permanently banned

Unread postby Hawkcreek » Mon 07 Nov 2016, 22:08:16

litesong wrote:

We got two Elantras, one for under $13,000. Each has gotten 45mpg & 200,000 miles look like their travel distances.... but few trips to repair shops. I'll spend tens of thousands of dollars less than you, have more fun, & won't worry about philosophy or children to which you didn't teach the value of money.

Wrong again. No way you have ever learned how to have fun. I bet you have never even got arrested, after getting drunk and getting in a fight.
I bet you got a pretty mouth, though. :lol:
John Prine
Hawkcreek
Expert
Expert

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Mon 07 Nov 2016, 23:15:19

Damn Hawk, if you ain't oil field trash like the Rockman you do a first class imitation. LOL
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby litesong » Tue 08 Nov 2016, 12:47:09

Hawkcreek wrote:
litesong wrote:

I bet you have never even got arrested, after getting drunk and getting in a fight.

I love my Elantra as I drive through our beautiful country. For weeks I've toured around, to watch tens of thousands of migrating snow & Canada geese in vast V-formations, drop from the sky & sweep to wonderful landings in wildlife regions with lovely, large ridge lines in the background. You like to drive & drink & fight with the police when they arrest you. The only background you see is the brick prison walls through gray bars. Its wonderful you teach your children such distinguished actions.
litesong
permanently banned

Unread postby Hawkcreek » Tue 08 Nov 2016, 15:24:02

litesong wrote:
I love my Elantra as I drive through our beautiful country. For weeks I've toured around, to watch tens of thousands of migrating snow & Canada geese in vast V-formations, drop from the sky & sweep to wonderful landings in wildlife regions with lovely, large ridge lines in the background. You like to drive & drink & fight with the police when they arrest you. The only background you see is the brick prison walls through gray bars. Its wonderful you teach your children such distinguished actions.

Lighten up, Lite. I was mostly joking. Yeah, I have been drunk and in a few fights, but I pretty much gave that up nearly 40 years ago. Now I am an itinerant landscape photographer, mostly just touring the country in my van and hurting no one (and taking some pretty good pictures). And my kids and grandkids have turned out just fine. One son graduated from US Naval Academy in Annapolis, and the other retired from the Marine Corps after 20 years.
Gotta admit, I am still tempted to punch people once in a while, but I usually restrain myself. My boys give me too much hell for it.
And Rock, I really am bona fide oil field trash, but I retired, and now I'm just an old candy-ass.
John Prine
Hawkcreek
Expert
Expert

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Tue 08 Nov 2016, 16:10:04

"...but I retired, and now I'm just an old candy-ass.". I'm almost there myself. The trick, which I'm sure you know, is to not let them figure out we've turned soft. And yes: I knew you were just teasing our buddy. Annapolis, eh? Congrats. I actually had a Congressional appointment there (or Kings Point) if I wanted to try. But I didn't want to waste everyone's time: not anywhere close academically capable. Had no choice but to become a geologist...or shoe salesman. LOL.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Thu 16 Mar 2017, 12:43:39

Well, it appears that Ford was correct. The aluminum-bodied F-150 is again the best-selling vehicle in the USA, with a comfortable 200,000 unit lead over the #2 vehicle which is the Chevrolet Silverado pickup, and 450,000 more than the #3 vehicle which is the Dodge Ram 1500 pickup.

In fact, it is not until one reaches the #4 model, which is the Toyota Camry, that we see a relatively fuel-efficient car.

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/best-selling-vehicles-2016/list/

http://www.autonews.com/article/20160711/RETAIL01/307119917/f-150-sales-undented-by-chevy-attack-ad

These sales occurred in spite of the Chevy attack ad where they dumped jagged concrete into an aluminum F-150 bed and caused a hole. The popularity of the dealer optional spray-on bedliner for the F-150 was however increased by the Chevrolet ad.

What the heck, we haven't run out of oil yet, and probably will not for enough time for those new 2016 trucks to be replaced twice. BTW, the auto body shops are coping with the aluminum bodies by acquiring new body fillers and charging more for labor. The next checkpoint on Ford's aluminum truck venture will be in 10 years, when these trucks avoid showing the cosmetic effects of body rust - maybe replacement sales will be depressed then.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Thu 16 Mar 2017, 13:44:50

vision-master wrote:Honda's? :lol:

Like that toad the Honda FIT with terrible gas mileage for a compact and slow as hell. Are they still running a 4 speed auto. lol :lol:

Hate to break it to ya but, Honda's are overpriced and if they are so great, where's the 100,000 mile power-train warranty?

This seems pretty unreasonable to me.

First, I don't buy Hondas, because I HATE the local dealer due to their repair service rep. so I'm not speaking out of loyalty here. However quality and efficiency wise, Hondas are simlar to Toyotas overall.

The reason makers like Honda and Toyota don't have 100,000 mile warranties is they don't need them. Their reputation speaks for itself. (Both Toyota and Honda have had some bad models and bad years, but overall, the quality and durability have been excellent compared to the competition).

Where you see 100,000 mile ten year warranties is where the manufactures HAVE NO CHOICE but to offer them, because of a history of reliability problems, resulting in a (well deserved) durability reputation issue.

Examples:

VW fuel injection for quite a while after it's disastrous introduction. (I know this, because I had the disastrous '69 squareback from my dad id college -- and its fuel injectors had to be replaced every 10,000 miles, as they were initially made out of RUBBER and didn't hold up).

Kia still has a 10 year 100,000 mile powertrain warranty. Korean cars had big durability/reliability problems 20ish years ago, and the long warranty has helped them sell cars. Now their cars tend to be more middle of the pack, but thus far, they've stuck with the long warranty, and marketed the heck out of it.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Thu 16 Mar 2017, 13:56:59

vision-master wrote:
Hondas do not need 100K-mile warranties because it is known that Hondas are well built.
Chryslers need 100K-mile warranties or no one will buy them because they have a poor reliability record.
Go pick on Toyotas or something, vision-muffler.

Boring cheap cars, no thanks.

Too bad those Jap's can't build one of these.

Those have terrible reliability and durability according to Consumer Reports.

I actually briefly considered such a car for fun, but the reliability/durability reputations of such cars from Dodge, the Mustang from Ford, and GM's muscle cars in general turned me off even more than the amount of gas such cars burn.

The Japanese build plenty of better competition from the likes of Infiniti and Lexus performance cars, formerly the Toyota Supra, etc. You get the zoom without the reliability problems.

And all such high performance cars are expensive and burn a lot of gas. So they seem an odd subject if we're truly worried about running out of oil and short term economic collapse, no?
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby efarmer » Thu 16 Mar 2017, 13:57:17

Honda makes good products, my experience is that for an aging vehicle they are less rebuildable
and if so at much higher expense than Toyota Products, especially with transmissions and engines.
The two brands are about equal if you buy new and move on in a 5 to 7 year window. If you are
a skinflint, like me, the Yota emerges as a long distance runner. I think the Ford aluminum F-150
is a bridge too far for pickup trucks are beasts of burden,and cheap steel body parts keep the beast
servicable versus the hard issue of body work on aluminum that drives body module replacement
as about the only sensible route for a wreck repair.
efarmer
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Previous

Return to Conservation & Efficiency